Lead Vocals on Dream On

Lead Vocals on Dream On

Posted in the Aerosmith Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Aurora, Canada

#1 Sep 3, 2006
Having a debate with a friend of mine regarding who is lead vocalist o Dream On track. I say it's Steve Tyler. He says it's the keyboard player. Who's right. Let me know.
Alex Gizelbach

Mukwonago, WI

#2 Sep 8, 2006
First off, Steven Tyler sings Dream On. Second, Aerosmith doesn't have a keyboard player, they may tour with someone who plays keyboard, but no band member is a keyboard player.

United States

#3 Sep 8, 2006
Steven Tyler WROTE/CREATED "Dream On" on the piano. He plays piano/keyboard as well as drums/percussion, not to forget the harmonica.He also knows how to play guitar. He is a very talented man as is the whole band. And his wisdom...so in tune.

Branson, MO

#4 Sep 12, 2006
your friend is about half retarded. hit him 7 times for me.

United States

#5 Sep 12, 2006
the friend should be required to take Aerosmith 101 if even considering listening to them again!!! also, i can't believe there was ever a doubt as to who sings the song

#6 Feb 2, 2007
soo..hu actually did the vocals to dream on..we havnt actually established that...which was the reason this was started in the 1st place

Lakeland, FL

#7 Feb 7, 2007
burnzey wrote:
soo..hu actually did the vocals to dream on..we havnt actually established that...which was the reason this was started in the 1st place
hey dummy can't you read STEVEN TYLER is the vocolist on Dream On. so dream on lol
Up yours

Palo Alto, CA

#8 Feb 16, 2007
Doesn't really matter who sang the song....Aerosmith sucks!!! It actually sounds more like Boy George than Steven Tyler.

Guayaquil, Ecuador

#9 Feb 17, 2007
my cousin sayd steven tyler didn't sing Dream On... and that the singer was Bob Dylan.. his name in Felipe
geffen king

Abergavenny, UK

#10 Apr 26, 2007
it just sounds to diffrent to be steven tyler it cant be him, im just sure of it
Soccer Dude

Ely, IA

#11 Jun 4, 2007
It is b/c the shouting like a true rockstar caused his voice to sound different and with age being a factor too. I can assure u it IS Steve Tyler.Up Yours, Up Yours! Rock on Aerosmith Fans!!!!!

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#12 Jun 7, 2007

Freeport, NY

#13 Jun 9, 2007
QUOTE who="Soccer Dude"It is b/c the shouting like a true rockstar caused his voice to sound different and with age being a factor too. I can assure u it IS Steve Tyler.Up Yours, Up Yours! Rock on Aerosmith Fans!!!!!on the original album 1973 it doesn't sould like him at all- that has nothing to do with age he was young then- rumor is he was so drugged out then they brought in a secret vocalist to record it for him

Freeport, NY

#14 Jun 9, 2007
on the original 1973 album the rumor is they brought in a vocalist to sing it for him-hush hush. The tone is so different from his it sounds nothing like him- i love aerosmith
The Bull

#15 Jun 22, 2007
Has anyone here read "Walk This Way" the Aerosmith biography by Stephen Davis?(He also authored the Led Zep Biography "Hammer Of The Gods") It's a fantastic read and it details the writing and recording of "Dream On". Long story short - Steven Tyler is the singer.

Milton Keynes, UK

#16 Jun 29, 2007
the vocalist on dream on is steven tyler, it might not sound like it but it is. my friend was like "it was before he was on drugs" or something like that, but i do know for a fact that it's steven tyler

#17 Jul 2, 2007
Of course it was Tallerico, but the reason why it sounds a bit strange is actually because in the 'dream on and mama kin early era' he went through a phase when he thought his voice sounded strange and wanted to change it a bit - this explains yur question pretty well i think. lots of love to all you fellow aeroheads out there!!!

Holliston, MA

#18 Mar 2, 2008
This debate has been going on for a long time. I had the same doubt of whether the vocalist was Steven Tyler or not because it does not have the sound that Tyler marked as a vocalist, but after researching a little I came to a conclusion: It seems that it was Steven who recorded the original version. The band was young and he was young, I think they were still looking for their own sound not just as a band but Steven as a vocalist. They still hadn't defined that Aerosmith sound and it also seemed that they had huge influence from Led Zeppelin not to mention the times when the band started. This is very common, it happens among musicians/singers.
If you listen to some of their old songs like Mama Kin, it also has that sound quality in Steven Tyler's voice that he had in Dream On. Regardless of the different vocal sounds, I LOVE Aerosmith, they are one of my favorite bands and Dream On it's one of the best songs ever whether he sang it or not!! They Rock!!

Bennettsville, SC

#19 Mar 5, 2008
I can tell without a shadow of a doubt it was Tyler he is one of my favorite singers and very few people can that high of notes and still have perfect control over his key.

Singapore, Singapore

#20 Jun 30, 2008
I'm ashamed to admit that I actually thought it was Klaus Meine who sang it, with Steven Tyler contributing the screaming parts only.

I think this article below cleared my doubts.

Taken from the article:

Putting down his vocals, Tyler suffered a crisis of confidence and resorted to an unnatural, strangled pitch in order to sound “a little bit black.”“I used this voice for all of that stuff except ‘Dream On,’” he says.“‘Dream On’ is the real me.” Tyler added flute and strings using a Mellotron — while sky-high on crystal THC — and “Dream On” was complete.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aerosmith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steven Tyler to play 2018 Naperville Ribfest Dec '17 Todd 1
News Jim Ebdon Takes Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone on... Nov '17 Will 1
News Vanilla Ice's - Ice Ice Baby' Honored by the Sm... Nov '17 Jim 1
News Alice Cooper on Christmas Pudding, new Hollywoo... Nov '17 Tom 1
News Steven Tyler Answers - Sex With 10,000 Women' C... Nov '17 Tony 1
News Dave Grohl, As Dave Letterman, Interviews Alice... Nov '17 Ben Jovi 1
News Aerosmith: The best war stories12:10 pm - Jun 2... (Jun '17) Jun '17 GDPraetorius 1