The Beatles named as group with most singles sold in UK chart history

Nov 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Metro

The group were put in the top spot in the list put together to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Official Singles Chart, selling a grand total of 22.1million singles across their illustrious career.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2012
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Their really is no surprise here. I wonder who's #1 in the US? If it's not The Beatles, then it most likely is Elvis.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

chris wrote:
Their really is no surprise here. I wonder who's #1 in the US? If it's not The Beatles, then it most likely is Elvis.
It may be a surprise Chris to know that Mariah Carey has the first place. I am not sure, though. Hello to you. You know, I don't think that this proves anything. The Beatles still remain the most succesful artists in recording history. And the more influential, of course. Whether some like it or not.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>It may be a surprise Chris to know that Mariah Carey has the first place. I am not sure, though. Hello to you. You know, I don't think that this proves anything. The Beatles still remain the most succesful artists in recording history. And the more influential, of course. Whether some like it or not.
I knew she holds one of the records, but I'm not sure if it's total #1 hits, total top 40 hits, or total sales for singles.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

I assume that she has 21 no 1 hits and the Beatles 20? As far as who has sold more records worldwide and not especially in the USA, the answer might be Elvis, I don't know for sure. However, the Beatles come first in many categories and overshadow those preeminences.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Greg wrote:
I assume that she has 21 no 1 hits and the Beatles 20? As far as who has sold more records worldwide and not especially in the USA, the answer might be Elvis, I don't know for sure. However, the Beatles come first in many categories and overshadow those preeminences.
The last worldwide sales figures I have seen are, The Beatles have 1.6 billion & Elvis with 1.3 billion. As far as #1 hits are corncerned, you're right in saying that they had 20 #1 hits in the US. They had 27 #1 hits worldwide.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

chris wrote:
<quoted text>The last worldwide sales figures I have seen are, The Beatles have 1.6 billion & Elvis with 1.3 billion. As far as #1 hits are corncerned, you're right in saying that they had 20 #1 hits in the US. They had 27 #1 hits worldwide.
Thanks Chris. I had read somewhere that Elvis was first, I didn't want to believe it, although I admire him almost as much as the Beatles.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Chris. I had read somewhere that Elvis was first, I didn't want to believe it, although I admire him almost as much as the Beatles.
Hey you're welcome Greg, Elvis is the king. I have but respect for him.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

(correction} nothing but respect for him.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

I believe Elvis holds the record for USA and the Beatles hold the record for UK. Elvis is the most Popular single singer and Beatles are the most popular group.Some may disagree but facts are facts.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Bubba wrote:
I believe Elvis holds the record for USA and the Beatles hold the record for UK. Elvis is the most Popular single singer and Beatles are the most popular group.Some may disagree but facts are facts.
I agree, they were both great, no need to debate it. The impact they both had on music, culture & the world around us, cannot be denied.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent ABBA Discussions

Search the ABBA Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mick Jagger plans Rolling Stones museum Jul 11 Back to Bachics 4
Singer Josh Groban is working on a new album fe... Jun '14 Sierralita 1
Steve Smith: AC/DC retirement rumors; Abba turn... Apr '14 Tartar 1
Abba Star Insists There Are Still No Reunion Plans (Apr '13) Feb '14 Jenny 2
ABBA singer Agnetha Faltskog cuts a very youthf... (Nov '13) Jan '14 honey 3
ABBA The Concert Coming to Jones Hall, 12/6 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sabine Hinch 1
Agnetha Faltskog: 'Abba Were Poor In Concert' (May '13) Nov '13 mel 3
•••
•••