Vietnam War Myths, Part 2: 'We had to...

Vietnam War Myths, Part 2: 'We had to destroy the village...'

There are 9 comments on the Right Wing News story from Feb 14, 2009, titled Vietnam War Myths, Part 2: 'We had to destroy the village...'. In it, Right Wing News reports that:

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it." One of the most persistent myths of the Vietnam War concerns that sentence, supposedly uttered by an American general to excuse a massacre.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Right Wing News.

Dao duc gia

Peterborough, NH

#1 Feb 14, 2009
... Myths, what's a joke!!!
"We had to destroy the village in order to save it."
i have read this before,
"we have to make war to reserve peace".
amerikang miths
Yell peril

Feltham, UK

#2 Feb 16, 2009
Here's another joke.

General george custer said "we got to take the savage out of the indian (native), and to do that we have to kill the indian (native) to save the man!"

He killed lots of native indians, in the end they got him. Sweet poetic justice.
Randy

Flowood, MS

#3 Nov 10, 2009
I spent 9 months in Ben Tre in 1969. The people were friendly and got along well with those of us in the 9th Infantry Division,C Battery of the 1st/84th Artillery. Being there for so long I got to know a number of the locals on a personal basis and they were very anti-communist. I am so sorry that the liberal Democratically controlled US Congress would not live up to our agreement to assist this people if invaded by North Vietnam. The communist thus won the war, but as Vietnam becomes more Capitalist, we will win the peace.

Since: May 07

Milpitas, CA

#4 Nov 10, 2009
Of course democracy and captialism will prevail.
Only those stupid crazy commies have wasted millions of Vietnamese lives and others for nothing.

Life under commies are not only poor but oppressed. The inequality by commies are more than ten times that of capitalism.

Just look at one report for China:
0.4% controls 70% national assets
99.6% controls the rest

And Chinese commies just switched to capitalism for the last 30 years, unlike 300 years as in Europe and America.

BTW I wish I have a chance to visit Ben Tre. VCs were proud of Ben Tre where they said it was one of the first area that rose against the South Vietnam Gov.

Ironically, after VC won the war most peasants there were fiercely against the cruel and stupid VC policies after 1975
Randy wrote:
I spent 9 months in Ben Tre in 1969. The people were friendly and got along well with those of us in the 9th Infantry Division,C Battery of the 1st/84th Artillery. Being there for so long I got to know a number of the locals on a personal basis and they were very anti-communist. I am so sorry that the liberal Democratically controlled US Congress would not live up to our agreement to assist this people if invaded by North Vietnam. The communist thus won the war, but as Vietnam becomes more Capitalist, we will win the peace.
Jim

Warminster, PA

#5 Mar 23, 2011
During the fall of 1967 and 1968 I was assigned as the the exec officer of Charlie Battery 1st/84th, There are memories from that period in my life that will live with me forever. Maybe the most significant was serving with some very special men...all heroes
Lou

La Porte, IN

#6 Dec 30, 2012
My Uncle was in the 1st/84th Artillery C battery 69/70 in Ben Tre.
Drgunzet

Boise, ID

#7 Dec 31, 2012
In this clip:

at 3:18, US ex-president Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "The US diplomatically blocks Vietnamese elections because 80% Vietnamese would vote Communist, Ho Chi Minh."

----------
US ex-Admiral Stockdale was a commander on a US Destroyer at the Gulf of Tonkin incident. He said he did not see nor he was attacked by North Vietnamese small boats, "There was only fishes."

----------
When I was young, I was skinny, tall and frail. I was a bookworm Asian with German superiority. I stayed inside the house or at the library reading books, 2-5 books a day. Then the other kids beaten me up for fun. I decided to become the battle commander and invented horrific fighting techniques in order to win.

Other Asians including my mother accused me to be a blood thirst monster. I will tell you the true, if an alien came with a special device with one button to push to make all Asians to disappear I will push this button to prove the point. I just want the earth to be inherit by the honorable Whites. The Asians are sick, animal species. I fought them all of my childhood and know by the heart.
law and a lie lawyer

London, UK

#8 Dec 31, 2012
Randy wrote:
well,,,
thank you for your experience of my south vietnam wars,,at BEN TRE,
And you has manager to build the trust between local people,,
that is what we need,,
if they trust us,,then we are safe,,if they don't then we might ???
law and a lie lawyer

London, UK

#9 Dec 31, 2012
Drgunzet wrote:
In this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =v6SJgyl76lkXX
at 3:18, US ex-president Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "The US diplomatically blocks Vietnamese elections because 80% Vietnamese would vote Communist, Ho Chi Minh."
----------
US ex-Admiral Stockdale was a commander on a US Destroyer at the Gulf of Tonkin incident. He said he did not see nor he was attacked by North Vietnamese small boats, "There was only fishes."
----------
When I was young, I was skinny, tall and frail. I was a bookworm Asian with German superiority. I stayed inside the house or at the library reading books, 2-5 books a day. Then the other kids beaten me up for fun. I decided to become the battle commander and invented horrific fighting techniques in order to win.
Other Asians including my mother accused me to be a blood thirst monster. I will tell you the true, if an alien came with a special device with one button to push to make all Asians to disappear I will push this button to prove the point. I just want the earth to be inherit by the honorable Whites. The Asians are sick, animal species. I fought them all of my childhood and know by the heart.

hi,hi,hi,

green flies,,after a white man hot butter shit,,.

don't you like china man shit ?

well that is what helped you grower,.

your street childhood,now you are in America still be an adult beggar,,.

Go to live with them Japanese EMPEROR, you seen to be ,,to have more common ground with them,,

then all Asian people will pumping all warm shit in to your mouth,,

then you will finish your human evil life with a full mouth of Asian warm shit,,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ben Tre, Vietnam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CNNGo TV in Mumbai: What's on and when Jun 8 otujni 1
News Trans-Pacific Partnership could raise stakes fo... (Oct '14) Feb '15 NHUCAPKWISKYLICKY... 26
News Audit asks party to punish former anti-corrupti... (Nov '14) Dec '14 CAIN n ROBBERY KHMER 36
News Vietnam's chief inspector calls for prudence in... (Nov '14) Dec '14 the true 6
News Foreign donors help Vietnam province deal with ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 SpongeBob 10
News Vietnam public buildings costing arms and legs:... (Dec '13) Dec '13 backu gene 3
News Countryside inventor milks coconut success (Nov '13) Nov '13 SpongeBob 10
More from around the web