Saltville Civil War re-enactment unde...

Saltville Civil War re-enactment under way

There are 23 comments on the Clinch Valley News story from Aug 19, 2011, titled Saltville Civil War re-enactment under way. In it, Clinch Valley News reports that:

As anyone who has read one of my columns more than twice already knows, I am a history buff, American history that is and especially Civil War history .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Clinch Valley News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
roger

Springfield, TN

#1 Aug 20, 2011
what has happend to saltvilles civil war activities? those folks who used to do it here had things going on all the time.the crowd running things now dont seem to do much except try and make money.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 21, 2011
My brother does these reenactments. Hes a member of the 1st Virginia Dismounted Calvery. The actors enjoy doing these but your right, EVERYTHING is about the money. The actors have to pay a fee for everything they use in these battles such as their cannons and horses. They even have to pay a fee to set their tent up and camp. I guess the money part is why theres not more going on as there used to be. With times as hard and money as tight as they are for alot of folks they just dont have the extra money to do these reenactments anymore because they are not cheap by any means.
Mitzi

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Aug 22, 2011
I was at the event as a spectator. The attendance was low which means little money was made. If the town would fork over money to help cover costs of the basics needed to put on this event like portajohns, camp ground rental, water, fire wood,reenactor meal, advertisement and such then there perhaps would not be fees for the reenactors and admission may be different as well. This event is ran off the registartion fees and admissions received. What is made is put back in, no body makes money off this event!! The town can apparently give $10,000 for Labor day but can't offer anything to put on and promote an event the town uses to promote its self and its history....for those who put the event on, I applaud you because I know how hard you worked to put on this event with no support from the town that it was held for!
KNOW ALL THE FACTS

Elizabethton, TN

#4 Aug 22, 2011
Heather if your brother is really involved you would know that the low $5.00 fee charged in Saltville is nothing compared to other events.
Your parking is provided for free, a id tag is purchased for each person, a meal is provided cooked by the ladies group, wood is provided for the camp, hay is provided for the horses. Each cannon is given a bounty"pd to come". What other hobby can you name that all this is provided. Golf has fees, ball games has a fee, car racing is very expensive, fishing and hunting you have to purchase a license. Get over it.
Big Country

Mount Juliet, TN

#5 Aug 22, 2011
I'm a Civil War history buff but I'm disappointed with a lot of the participants. I spoke with one man that claimed to be a member of the Sons of Confederates, I believe that was the name of the organization, but he knew nothing of his history except for the part he played in reenactments. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not on here to bash anyone or anything but if you're a member of such an organization you should know what its all about. I really admire each and everyone of you guys for your dedication to history and I'd like to be one of the actors. How would I go about doing that? My area of expertise is the Navies on both sides, expecially the river war out west. Too bad it would be so damn expensive to reenact a river battle between two ironclads but wow, it would be something to see. I just might get up toward Saltville to watch, I've never been to one and it sounds like a lot of fun.
Saltville Sitosin

Elizabethton, TN

#6 Aug 22, 2011
NEVER amazes me the people that run to topix to bitch and complain about some event in Saltville..bet you are the same people that bitch and complain that there is nothing to do in Saltville yet when someone does try to do something new- people like you do nothing but do what you do best bitch and complain...why not hold something for the public your self...plan it, pay for it, put it on with no support from anyone outside of yourselves....go ahead and if you can have everything go 100% smooth and every single person be happy about everything then my hats off to you, you shouldnt be living in saltville you should be president!! There is ALWAYS somebody who has to bitch and complain and run anything going on for the enjoymeny of people out of town..wish there was a run bitchy complainers off so we could have something go on in town for people who would appreciate it!!!!!!
lol

Paducah, KY

#7 Aug 22, 2011
Like sand thru the hour glass... So are the days of our lives
Heather1975

Murfreesboro, TN

#8 Aug 23, 2011
KNOW ALL THE FACTS wrote:
Heather if your brother is really involved you would know that the low $5.00 fee charged in Saltville is nothing compared to other events.
Your parking is provided for free, a id tag is purchased for each person, a meal is provided cooked by the ladies group, wood is provided for the camp, hay is provided for the horses. Each cannon is given a bounty"pd to come". What other hobby can you name that all this is provided. Golf has fees, ball games has a fee, car racing is very expensive, fishing and hunting you have to purchase a license. Get over it.
Since you "KNOW ALL THE FACTS" then you know my brothers name is Ethan Owens of First Virginia Dismounted Calvery, and he DOES do these reenactments, but there again, you already knew that didnt you? These actors travel from miles around to these events at THEIR cost. What is provided for the camp is nothing compared to the money these actors put out of their own pocket to buy the gas, tents, clothes, guns etc. Last I checked, the cost my brother spent on these reenactments was a helluva lot more then golf, hunting or fishing, but you already knew that because you "KNOW ALL THE FACTS" already.
Saltville Sitosin

Elizabethton, TN

#9 Aug 23, 2011
The money reenactors put in to the things they use for reenacting is THEIR choice. No one forces them to pour money into their hobby so there is no one to blame but themselves if they feel that they have spent too much on it!! Heather, I'm not real sure what your argument is exactly, but you know if your brother feels that reenacting is too expensive maybe he should find a cheaper hobby. Any hobby that is only as expensive as YOU allow it to be!!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#10 Aug 23, 2011
Saltville Sitosin wrote:
The money reenactors put in to the things they use for reenacting is THEIR choice. No one forces them to pour money into their hobby so there is no one to blame but themselves if they feel that they have spent too much on it!! Heather, I'm not real sure what your argument is exactly, but you know if your brother feels that reenacting is too expensive maybe he should find a cheaper hobby. Any hobby that is only as expensive as YOU allow it to be!!
The point I was only trying to make was (in my opinion) the reason as many people dont do it as used to be was the fact that extra money isnt as easy to come by as it used to be and that goes for everything like racing, golf, hunting or whatever. So I dont how in the hell all these other posts came from what I wrote other then the fact that some feel the need to defend their own opinion. My brother is fortunate enough to have the extra money to travel and take part in these reenactments, I never said he didn't nor that he thought it was too expensive.
csa

Springfield, TN

#11 Sep 7, 2011
the town has been putting up the money for several yrs, it just seems that less and less shows up every year by the time it gets to the well feilds. other reenactors are complianing about how poorly saltvilles reenactment is being run now. saltville needs to ask those boys from that other company that used to put on all those civil war events a few years back to take things over agin .things were a lot better when they did them. there wasnt even any reenactors marching in the parade last weekend. ask the 8th va cav to come back,please.

Since: Mar 11

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Sep 8, 2011
The reenactment was nothing once again, it goes further down each year. Know all the facts maybe you you should know all the facts. I have been a reenactor for twelve years, and the Saltville battle this year was a joke. the camping was was sorry the fire wood was pitiful, the hay was weeds, one meal what is one meal. I have fought in big battles the cost was a little bit more, but we were took a lot better care of us. We had three meals a day, showers, water, real firewood, decent hay, a good place to camp not in the sun. Is this to much to ask. As far as the hobby being to expensive, or ballgames being the same price, dose the football players have to pay to play in each ballgame. we are the one putting on the show. If the battle was better you could charge for parking. This new bunch that has run it for the past few years are crazy. Greed runs deep in the veins of these men. The event does not need more money, It needs better management,and marketing. Bring back the old bunch. Advertise that it is under new management. maybe people will start to come back. these events are not to make money for the people trying to coordinate, it is to revive our heritage. Get these people out before it is to late. Why can one bunch have volunteers working , and 500+ reenactors, and the other can barley do it, and only have 75+ reenactors. Bring the tyranny to an end.
remember when

Elizabethton, TN

#13 Sep 9, 2011
I remember when the first one started and the group had alot of supplies of their own. When the 8th Va. took over is when everything went missing.
The tents, the guns, the blue cookware at the Salt Park.supplies from the blacksmith shop. Next thing is drinking and drugging with underage boys & girls. Yes I say your are right. Let's get them back. They will never grow up.
Heather1975

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Sep 11, 2011
starving hillbilly wrote:
The reenactment was nothing once again, it goes further down each year. Know all the facts maybe you you should know all the facts. I have been a reenactor for twelve years, and the Saltville battle this year was a joke. the camping was was sorry the fire wood was pitiful, the hay was weeds, one meal what is one meal. I have fought in big battles the cost was a little bit more, but we were took a lot better care of us. We had three meals a day, showers, water, real firewood, decent hay, a good place to camp not in the sun. Is this to much to ask. As far as the hobby being to expensive, or ballgames being the same price, dose the football players have to pay to play in each ballgame. we are the one putting on the show. If the battle was better you could charge for parking. This new bunch that has run it for the past few years are crazy. Greed runs deep in the veins of these men. The event does not need more money, It needs better management,and marketing. Bring back the old bunch. Advertise that it is under new management. maybe people will start to come back. these events are not to make money for the people trying to coordinate, it is to revive our heritage. Get these people out before it is to late. Why can one bunch have volunteers working , and 500+ reenactors, and the other can barley do it, and only have 75+ reenactors. Bring the tyranny to an end.
I agree 100%!! Well said.
Black Flag

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Sep 22, 2011
remember when wrote:
I remember when the first one started and the group had alot of supplies of their own. When the 8th Va. took over is when everything went missing.
The tents, the guns, the blue cookware at the Salt Park.supplies from the blacksmith shop. Next thing is drinking and drugging with underage boys & girls. Yes I say your are right. Let's get them back. They will never grow up.
As I recall Ben Collins was the first one to put the event on. For one thing who were the guns, and tents stole from. It was each mans responsibility to have his own, I had mine. Where was yours. As for the tools from the blacksmith shop maybe you should talk to Jim B Terry H or A.J. L that is where your stuff is going to. Besides what about Terry finding that mastodon tooth, and all of those civil war relics found on town land. nobody cares about that. The thing that I could never figure out is why the funding for the event was the same, but by the time for the event the money was gone. oh well some questions you just can't ask in Saltville. I guess you will never grow up!
Sue

Hermitage, TN

#16 Sep 22, 2011
I had great grandfathers in the real war, on cold rainy nights, my ancestor slept in a sunken grave.There was little or no comfort during the war. They went hungry, cold and some didn't have shoes fit to wear, they felt blessed to rob a corpse of his good boots.It certainly wasn't a war for comfort. There is a picture of John Lewis Smith in his uniform.He is buried down in poor valley on the old Smith place, beside flintrock rd.lane.He enlisted at 16 in 1862 and was there at the end in 1864.
In the valley during the war, the yankees had a camp in front of the Tumbling Creek church (on the bank in that corner of Aistrop Rd. they also robbed and murdered in the area. Old man Thomas had 13 sons in the confederate army, he lived in Hayters Gap, they seen him as a sympathizer of the south, took him up on the old Helen Henderson hwy. where the old Fullen house was, in the area above the valley view church, they shot and killed him, his old felt hat hung on a fencepost in the '50's.
They took over peoples homes an d stole their food.
whoot

Hermitage, TN

#17 Sep 23, 2011
Ever time a cannon goes off, the gas company and smoky row trembles. As with the fireworks on labor day night, they will eventually sink the place with the percussion. Then the fight will begin.
Black Flag

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Nov 16, 2011
just sweep this one under the rug too. These people are the ones bleeding our historical resources dry stop them before it is to late.
Zing Bot 3000

United States

#19 Nov 16, 2011
News flash the confederacy lost hillbillies....ZING
43RD Georgia Inf

“TKC”

Since: Jan 12

Atlanta

#20 Jan 14, 2012
I have little doubt that Sherman is burning in hell for all the atrocities he and his villians committed against the Confederacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

_No Company Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debate now as much about Confederacy's role in ... 2 hr Go Blue Forever 1
News Bernie Sanders beats Hillary Clinton 42-4 among... Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 1
News Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (Nov '15) Nov '15 Marcavage s Trick 1
News 'MagicStick' Launched: The New-Gen PC on Stick.... (Oct '15) Oct '15 George Michael 1
News Video Games Rarely Warn For Smoking The Way The... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sneaky Pete 1
News Georgia renames Confederate holidays (Aug '15) Aug '15 Will Dockery 1
News Even in museums, battles loom over Confederate ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 rebel111 2
More from around the web