Battle erupts over shooting range

Jun 22, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SeacoastOnline

Neighbors say the shooting range off Route 107 in Seabrook is disrupting their lives and compromising safety in the area.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2012
really

Exeter, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

I feel the selectmen did not do very much to help these people out! They deserve not to live with all of this! No reason why a compromise could not have been reached!! What is everyones feelings??
Simple

Bangor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

All though I'm for the gun range to be utilized I think the town needs to practice what they enforce. ie:The stipulations they are putting on the nuclear plants gun range should be followed at the towns range.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Sound suppressors should be allowed after hours if there's a time limit placed on range usage relevent to noise.
insider

Exeter, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Simple wrote:
All though I'm for the gun range to be utilized I think the town needs to practice what they enforce. ie:The stipulations they are putting on the nuclear plants gun range should be followed at the towns range.
The existing use was in place at the Town's range BEFORE the complainants came to town.
On Rocks Road, this was a NEW use. Their stipulations were in place at inception to protect the residents who were there BEFORE the range.
Would you move next door to a pig farmer then complain about the smell?
Conversely, If a pig farmer moved next door to you would you stipulate there was to be no smell?
Anonymous

Exeter, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

I say they moved there so why do we have to change things for them
insider

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

never change wrote:
I say they moved there so why do we have to change things for them
Good aim. You hit the nail on the head.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

really wrote:
I feel the selectmen did not do very much to help these people out! They deserve not to live with all of this! No reason why a compromise could not have been reached!! What is everyones feelings??
The range has been in operation for 30 years. While there is on resident the article claims has lived there 32 years, how many of the others can make the same claim? Buy a home near a firing range you should expect some noise.

They’re demanding curtailed hours? The range is open 9am – 3pm a few days weekly. Those are already short hours.

The range I use most here in Florida is open 9am-4pm daily. They won’t allow you to fire until 9:01am because if there’s a single shot one minute early people call the police. That range has been open since 1956. People moved in nearby and then complained about the noise.

What would your “compromise” be? Shorter hours? Fewer days? Hours are already short.
really

Exeter, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The range has been in operation for 30 years. While there is on resident the article claims has lived there 32 years, how many of the others can make the same claim? Buy a home near a firing range you should expect some noise.
They’re demanding curtailed hours? The range is open 9am – 3pm a few days weekly. Those are already short hours.
The range I use most here in Florida is open 9am-4pm daily. They won’t allow you to fire until 9:01am because if there’s a single shot one minute early people call the police. That range has been open since 1956. People moved in nearby and then complained about the noise.
What would your “compromise” be? Shorter hours? Fewer days? Hours are already short.
Oh I did not know it was only open a few days a week while I was listening to the meeting it made it sound like it was open every day!I guess I would have to agree with you as it is only open a few days a week! Hard to believe they were complaining like that for a 3 days a week operation!!

Since: Feb 09

Lake Havasu City, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Hell the local shooters can go back to shooting road side signs and anything else that they see. I thing that would be better, I don't care to pay for range time ether. but I do pay for the range outside of town and downtown.

Ranges are a safe place to shoot and safe for the Non-shooter in town.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

really wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I did not know it was only open a few days a week while I was listening to the meeting it made it sound like it was open every day!I guess I would have to agree with you as it is only open a few days a week! Hard to believe they were complaining like that for a 3 days a week operation!!
When people describe a problem they tend to exaggerate.

I grew up in Upstate NY in what used to be a small farming community. Since my childhood the demographics have substantially changed. Builders have been buying up land from farmers and then build expensive housing on that land. One development is on land formerly owned by a man who kept cows and sheep in addition to growing corn. The farm is still in operation but is smaller.

People primarily from New Jersey moved in and almost immediately began complaining about the farm. They complained about the smell and complained about appearances. Every time one of them files a complaint with the town old man Ellsworth puts another piece of broken farm equipment near the intersection they drive by. Eventually I would think they would learn, last time visiting home it looked like a junk yard. The farm has been in operation since 1832. See http://www.fairport-erpost.com/features/x1860...

I live in a community which restricts everything. You must seek permission to replace a dead tree with an identical replacement. I don’t like it but I agreed to the terms when moving in. I bought because it’s close to work. I have no business complaining about the rules; I don’t and abide by the rules. Those people moved next to a firing range, it’s up to them to accept it’s been there longer than them. They shouldn’t expect the world to bend to their desires.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••