China now owns $1.16 trillion of U.S....

China now owns $1.16 trillion of U.S. debt

There are 135 comments on the KIMA-TV Yakima story from Feb 28, 2011, titled China now owns $1.16 trillion of U.S. debt. In it, KIMA-TV Yakima reports that:

WASHINGTON - China, the biggest buyer of U.S. Treasury securities, owns a lot more than previously estimated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KIMA-TV Yakima.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#1 Feb 28, 2011
Wait 'till they really come clean

Since: Nov 10

Monte Vista, Colorado

#4 Feb 28, 2011
Cool. Let's run the tab up to $10 or $12 trillion, then bring our factories home and tell China to screw itself.
WASP

Irvine, CA

#5 Feb 28, 2011
The politicans (both neo-conservatives and modern liberals) spend taxpayer money like drunk sailors on a Friday night on the town.
Jatatul

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 28, 2011
windypoint wrote:
Cool. Let's run the tab up to $10 or $12 trillion, then bring our factories home and tell China to screw itself.
Walmart would never go for that, unless they would be allowed to pay Americans slave wages.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#7 Feb 28, 2011
Screw 'em. Just don't pay 'em.

Problem solved.
WASP

Irvine, CA

#8 Feb 28, 2011
Brittle Fingers wrote:
Screw 'em. Just don't pay 'em.
Problem solved.
If only it were that simple. If we default on our loans to them, the dollar will fall like a meteorite on the world market and become about a tenth of the value it is today. Argentina went through that and so did Mexico when they defaulted on their foreign loans.
Jatatul

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 28, 2011
WASP wrote:
<quoted text>
If only it were that simple. If we default on our loans to them, the dollar will fall like a meteorite on the world market and become about a tenth of the value it is today. Argentina went through that and so did Mexico when they defaulted on their foreign loans.
...and yet those countries are still around.

I think its time that the world comes together for a huge summit somewhere with the subject being the forgiveness of all national debts, or greatly reducing all of them to more managable levels.
Anonymous

Yantai, China

#10 Feb 28, 2011
Jatatul wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart would never go for that, unless they would be allowed to pay Americans slave wages.
Take it easy.It will come true soon.Now most chinese are boycotting Walmart for its deceiving consumers

yernogoood-

“Everyone knows that!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Tell me...Does it hurt much?

#11 Feb 28, 2011
And they can keep it for all I care.
WASP

Irvine, CA

#12 Feb 28, 2011
Yes after going through terrible pain and many of them losing everything in the hyperinflation that followed. You are trivializing something that doesn't trivialize in the real world.
Jatatul wrote:
<quoted text>
I think its time that the world comes together for a huge summit somewhere with the subject being the forgiveness of all national debts, or greatly reducing all of them to more managable levels.

Since: Nov 10

Monte Vista, Colorado

#13 Feb 28, 2011
Tylor Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Take it easy.It will come true soon.Now most chinese are boycotting Walmart for its deceiving consumers
You know you can be executed for smoking opium over there.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#14 Feb 28, 2011
windypoint wrote:
Go ahead. Won't change the final result. We could give it all "back" to you. In ten years it be the same all over again
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#15 Feb 28, 2011
Jatatul wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. Hidden benefit of that would be cutting your budget by about a half, or more, as you wouldn't be able to borrow any more. Disband your army, eliminate SS, healthcare, farm subsidies and a few more things. You'll be much better off afterwards
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#16 Feb 28, 2011
Tylor Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Take it easy.It will come true soon. Now most Chinese are boycotting Walmart for its deceiving consumers
Funny, our local Walmart is booming, parking lot full of cars
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#17 Feb 28, 2011
windypoint wrote:
<quoted text>
You know you can be executed for smoking opium over there.
Nah, just idiot foreigners smuggling it. We clean up your gene-pool for 'ya. Mostly what folks get executed for is corruption.
Sammy

Natchitoches, LA

#18 Feb 28, 2011
Jatatul wrote:
<quoted text>
wouldn't it be better to make our country self sufficient and prosperous and pay off our debt and not end up in a one wold government as would be the result of your solution.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#19 Feb 28, 2011
Jatatul wrote:
<quoted text>
Even better a summit agreeing every country must live w/in it's means, balance it's budget, and never borrow again
Sammy

Natchitoches, LA

#20 Feb 28, 2011
Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>Cool. Hidden benefit of that would be cutting your budget by about a half, or more, as you wouldn't be able to borrow any more. Disband your army, eliminate SS, healthcare, farm subsidies and a few more things. You'll be much better off afterwards
most of what you mention here needs to be defunded anyways.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#21 Mar 1, 2011
Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>most of what you mention here needs to be defunded anyways.
Exactly! Hey, we want you to succeed, not fail
Sammy

Natchitoches, LA

#22 Mar 1, 2011
Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly! Hey, we want you to succeed, not fail
want me to succeed? get out of mt pocket then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Treasury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debt ceiling deadline is now November 5 (Oct '15) Mar 27 Monsantos Mexico 18
News APNewsBreak: Feds say Justice coal cos. owe $4.... Jan '17 Le Jimbo 1
News APNewsBreak: Feds advise workaround on asset fo... Jan '17 Cordwainer Trout 2
News Dakota Access protest policing costs exceed $22M Jan '17 BHM5267 14
News US deficit now lowest since 2007 (Oct '15) Dec '16 Self Deportation 75
News US payment of $1.7 billion to Iran made entirel... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Disclaimer 55
News Maxine Waters Won't Be Charged With Ethics Viol... (Sep '12) Sep '16 Slade surfer Thom... 15
More from around the web