Shutdown, debt fight highlight Republican distance from 'big business'

There are 44 comments on the Yahoo! story from Oct 2, 2013, titled Shutdown, debt fight highlight Republican distance from 'big business'. In it, Yahoo! reports that:

Big business, a traditionally powerful but pragmatic player in Republican policy-making, has found itself outflanked and marginalized by smaller conservative groups opposed to compromise in the country's current fiscal crisis and the looming showdown over the debt ceiling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Yahoo!.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Law and Order

Madison, CT

#2 Oct 2, 2013
Read the article, What a bunch of crap

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#3 Oct 2, 2013
Dear GOP
When American business, the folks you say you are protecting say that your wrong.
And it still makes no impression... you guys have lost your way
The Chamber, which has opposed long opposed Obama's health insurance reforms, on Monday sent a letter to lawmakers from over 250 business groups, urging them to fund the government and raise the debt limit while cutting entitlement spending.

Party's over

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 Oct 2, 2013
So far the stock has not reacted much. But wait until the Wall Street vultures start going after Boehner's ass. Corporate America may turn out to be our friend in this instance.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#5 Oct 2, 2013
stock market, that is.
fox-KKK-news

Cleveland, OH

#6 Oct 2, 2013
During the government shutdown, with their demands for ransom, Republican terrorists are attempting to create a government designed to pick and chose WINNERS (Veteran Memorial, Oil Pipe Line, etc) and LOSERS like (Children programs such as Head Start, WIC, the unemployed and the uninsured, etc.)

. What about GOP's complaints that: Obama's big-government picks winners like GM and losers like the Keystone pipeline? <<<< They are doing exactly what they claim they are against >>>> Them crazy beechees!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#7 Oct 2, 2013
Friday, 9/20/13 – The House of Representatives passed a Continuing Resolution that would fully fund the government (including things that Republicans don’t like) while at the same time defunding Obamacare.
Result: House Republicans compromised on spending that we’d like to see cut in exchange for defunding Obamacare.

Friday, 9/27/13 – The Senate stripped the defunding language out of the House passed Continuing Resolution and sent it back to the House.
Result: Harry Reid and Senate Democrats refused to compromise.

Saturday, 9/28/13 – The House of Representatives added two amendments to the Senate revised Continuing Resolution to delay Obamacare for one year (far from what we were originally willing to agree to) and repeal the medical device tax.
Result: House Republicans compromised away from defunding to delaying Obamacare for one year.

Monday, 9/30/13 – The Senate stripped the two amendments from the House passed Continuing Resolution and sent it back to the House.
Result: Harry Reid and Senate Democrats refuse to compromise one inch on Obamacare.

Monday, 9/30/13 - The House of Representatives responded by adding language to the Continuing Resolution to delay the individual mandate for a year and to take away the health care subsidies Members of Congress and their staffs received from the Office of Personnel Management ruling earlier this year.
Result: House Republicans compromised away from delaying Obamacare for one year to delaying the individual mandate for a year and requiring that Congress live under Obamacare just like the rest of the American people.

Monday, 9/30/13 - The Senate voted to table the House passed continuing resolution.

Monday, 9/30/13 - The House appointed conferees and sent a message to the Senate requesting a conference meeting to resolve their differences.
Result: House Republicans were still willing to compromise and reach a solution.

Tuesday, 10/1/13 - Midnight – No Deal is reach and a temporary shut down begins.

Tuesday, 10/1/13 - The Senate votes to table the House’s request for a conference to resolve differences.
Result: Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats refused to compromise.

Tuesday, 10/1/13 - House of Representatives moves to start passing single authorization appropriation bills that need 2/3rds majority in the House for passage.
Result: House Democrats refuse to compromise on paying Veterans Assistance, National Park Service, and Washington, DC Operations.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#8 Oct 2, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
So far the stock has not reacted much. But wait until the Wall Street vultures start going after Boehner's ass. Corporate America may turn out to be our friend in this instance.
sk and you shall receive....Us Camber of commerece

The Chamber, which has opposed long opposed Obama's health insurance reforms, on Monday sent a letter to lawmakers from over 250 business groups, urging them to fund the government and raise the debt limit while cutting entitlement spending.

“Smart@ss”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#9 Oct 3, 2013
Strange, I never thought I would see the day that conservatives would bite the hand that fed them.

Never thought that big business would even want the government funded... since you know the EPA along with most consumer protection agencies. You would think they would be having a free for all.

I guess they like government oversight... who knew?

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#10 Oct 3, 2013
Dajokerman wrote:
Strange, I never thought I would see the day that conservatives would bite the hand that fed them.
Never thought that big business would even want the government funded... since you know the EPA along with most consumer protection agencies. You would think they would be having a free for all.
I guess they like government oversight... who knew?
A rabid dog will bite it's masters hand
liberals are heros

Urbandale, IA

#11 Oct 3, 2013
J_a_n wrote:
Friday, 9/20/13 – The House of Representatives passed a Continuing Resolution that would fully fund the government (including things that Republicans don’t like) while at the same time defunding Obamacare.
Result: House Republicans compromised on spending that we’d like to see cut in exchange for defunding Obamacare.
Friday, 9/27/13 – The Senate stripped the defunding language out of the House passed Continuing Resolution and sent it back to the House.
Saturday, 9/28/13 – The House of Representatives added two amendments to the Senate revised Continuing Resolution to delay Obamacare for one year (far from what we were originally willing to agree to) and repeal the medical device tax.
Result: House Republicans compromised away from defunding to delaying Obamacare for one year.
Monday, 9/30/13 – The Senate stripped the two amendments from the House passed Continuing Resolution and sent it back to the House.
Result: Harry Reid and Senate Democrats refuse to compromise one inch on Obamacare.
Monday, 9/30/13 - The House of Representatives responded by adding language to the Continuing Resolution to delay the individual mandate for a year and to take away the health care subsidies Members of Congress and their staffs received from the Office of Personnel Management ruling earlier this year.
Result: House Republicans compromised away from delaying Obamacare for one year to delaying the individual mandate for a year and requiring that Congress live under Obamacare just like the rest of the American people.
Monday, 9/30/13 - The Senate voted to table the House passed continuing resolution.
Monday, 9/30/13 - The House appointed conferees and sent a message to the Senate requesting a conference meeting to resolve their differences.
Result: House Republicans were still willing to compromise and reach a solution.
Tuesday, 10/1/13 - Midnight – No Deal is reach and a temporary shut down begins.
Tuesday, 10/1/13 - The Senate votes to table the House’s request for a conference to resolve differences.
Result: Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats refused to compromise.
Tuesday, 10/1/13 - House of Representatives moves to start passing single authorization appropriation bills that need 2/3rds majority in the House for passage.
Result: House Democrats refuse to compromise on paying Veterans Assistance, National Park Service, and Washington, DC Operations.
Oh yeah, we all believe it's just a delay of one year. We all know if that was made law, the Rethugs would vote 41 more times to repeal the law. It's called: "Give us another year and this time we're sure we can repeal it "--that way the teabaggers can slap each other on the back and laugh about all the poor and old denied! Crooks all of the rethugs!

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Oct 3, 2013
liberals are heros wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah, we all believe it's just a delay of one year. We all know if that was made law, the Rethugs would vote 41 more times to repeal the law. It's called: "Give us another year and this time we're sure we can repeal it "--that way the teabaggers can slap each other on the back and laugh about all the poor and old denied! Crooks all of the rethugs!
I read your name too fast, I thought it said, Liberals are H omos.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#13 Oct 3, 2013
OWS, the OCCUPATION has been property of Obama, Mimi, & Reid. The 'Event' can be hunger or CommunityActivist violence. The people are realizing that HomelandSecurity is there to protect Washington,(ELITESfirst).
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#14 Oct 3, 2013
liberals are heros wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah, we all believe it's just a delay of one year. We all know if that was made law, the Rethugs would vote 41 more times to repeal the law. It's called: "Give us another year and this time we're sure we can repeal it "--that way the teabaggers can slap each other on the back and laugh about all the poor and old denied! Crooks all of the rethugs!
Why doesn't a reporter ask Boehner how many times he would try and repeal ACA before Boehner says to himself "WTF, this is not working"

Location hidden

#15 Oct 3, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Why doesn't a reporter ask Boehner how many times he would try and repeal ACA before Boehner says to himself "WTF, this is not working"
ObamaCARE is designed to fail and the federal government needs to front load the ponzi scam.

Location hidden

#16 Oct 3, 2013
If they had jobs, that let them move out of mom's basement.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#17 Oct 3, 2013
Dajokerman wrote:
It's not the hand that they are biting...

Location hidden

#18 Oct 3, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
I read your name too fast, I thought it said, Liberals are H omos.
And you were going to switch parties, eh, buttercup?

Check with your pal Larry first: he has some brochures.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#19 Oct 4, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you were going to switch parties, eh, buttercup?
Check with your pal Larry first: he has some brochures.
Nah, I couldn't switch parties....as bad as my party is, yours is worse. yall got too many weirdos in your party, no offense....mine is made up mostly of older mature hardworking tax paying americans, a dying breed. Yours is made up of ponytailed draftcard burning ex hippies, kids too young to know better, g ays, blacks on welfare, greenies, warmers, huggers, people that want babies to be aborted, but killers to be kept warm and dry in prison, instead of executed, kook koast libs, union workers, government workers, moochers, hollyweirdos, and Methodists.

Location hidden

#20 Oct 4, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, I couldn't switch parties....as bad as my party is, yours is worse. yall got too many weirdos in your party, no offense....mine is made up mostly of older mature hardworking tax paying americans, a dying breed.
I've been a registered Republican since just after Nixon resigned, shug.

Putting aside I don't believe you pay taxes, that you have worked hard a day in your life, or anything else you say. You are a habitual liar and a racist bigot.

No offense.

Location hidden

#21 Oct 4, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
Yours is made up of ponytailed draftcard burning .
Of course the members of Republican party didn't have to burn draft cards as they managed to find legal ways to dodge the draft- you never heard of a young Republican geting killed in Vietnam but you did hear of them having the dreaded Pimple on their AZZ disease, or fighting for freedom in the various state National Guard - which never got closer to Saigon than Waikiki.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tea Party Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sarah Palin Too Toxic for 2016? Tue Tazo 1
News Scott Walker: A pastor's son running on faith a... May 4 Beefmaster 3
News Warren: Ted Cruz has no shot to be prez, but is... May 2 swedenforever 236
News Guess who the Tea Party wants to primary John M... Apr 30 Tazo 1
News Tea Party Rallies: 'Impeach Obama' (Sep '10) Apr 30 swedenforever 2,532
News Tea party leader arrested in Miss. Senate race ... (Jun '14) Apr 29 swedenforever 64
Republicans TO GIVE Pres Obama MASSIVE POWER wi... Apr 12 Dan Fallen 1
More from around the web