Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

There are 1219 comments on the The Huffington Post story from May 31, 2012, titled Big DOMA Decision Handed Down. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

A federal appeals court Thursday declared that the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to married gay couples, a ruling all but certain to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#477 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I think stupidity is a qualification for being gay, but I bet you can dance. I posted a link to a law professor's take on it. Read it.
Calling other people names doesn't make your arguments any more logical. It just makes you look child and petty.

Providing a like to someone who agrees with an illogical stance that you hold doesn't PROVE it.

Try again.

Location hidden

#478 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, what I said about stupidity, there's more proof. A marriage license is permission from your state to marry, it isn't a contract between you and your future spouse. Gay couples are not married in every state, this is not too hard for you to understand, is it?
Read slowly, get help if you need it:
"The fly in the ointment was that nobody bothered to check
whether the Full Faith and Credit Clause had actually ever been read to require one state to recognize another state's marriages. It hasn't. Longstanding precedent from around the country holds that a state need not recognize a marriage entered into in another state with different marriage laws if those laws are contrary to strongly held local public policy. The "public policy doctrine," almost as old as this country's legal system, has been applied to foreign marriages between first cousins, persons too recently divorced, persons of different races, and persons under the age of consent. The granting of a marriage license has always been treated differently than a court award, which is indeed entitled to full interstate recognition. Court judgments are entitled to full faith and credit but historically very little interstate recognition has been given to licenses."
http://www.law.yale.edu/news/4174.htm
You can't change laws on a whim or misinterpret them to suit you.
Hmm, then why are marriage licenses for straight folks enforceable across state borders? Just "tradition"? Or, does there have to be a valid state interest to deny recognition of legal marriages?

And you will note that bans on marriages for "person's of different races" were rendered null and void by the courts quite some time ago.

I wonder how THAT happened.

Location hidden

#479 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
....... Straight marriage benefits America, gay marriage does not.
Oh my, and you call other folk, "stupid".

If you believe that one, prove it.

Prove that couples who are emotionally and financially more secure are BAD for society. Prove that having married parents will not benefit the tens of thousands of wonderful kids being raised by same sex couples in the SAME way it benefit's the children with heterosexual parents. Prove that marriage doesn't protect the assets of the elderly.

Go ahead.

This should be interesting.

You know, you would get a little more respect if you just stuck with your "I hate gay people for no logical reason" argument. At least it's honest.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#480 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They do it for straight couples because it's normal for straight couples to marry and the federal government, as well as all 50 states, approve of straight marriage. Straight marriage benefits America, gay marriage does not.
So again, not equal rights. Glad you reiterated it. Why do you have to keep posting the lie that SSM doesn't benefit the US? You have been shown numerous times that it is a lie. do you have to do that to support your prejudice?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#481 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll stick with the Yale law professor that said the full faith and credit clause does not apply. Look at my choices, Justice Dumbass or the Yale law professor.
The Yaley is part of the problem.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#482 Jun 23, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither can ANY straight couple if one of them is infertile.
That would be a medical problem, what's your excuse?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#483 Jun 23, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The Yaley is part of the problem.
Yes, for Justice Dumbass and anyone else that is inclined to believe him.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#484 Jun 23, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
Why do you have to keep posting the lie that SSM doesn't benefit the US? You have been shown numerous times that it is a lie.
Ok, let's review, what does gay marriage do for America?
Does it provide a future workforce?
Does it provide us with future voters?
Does it provide us with future taxpayers?
Does it provide us with future soldiers?
Does it provide us with future scientists, doctors, teachers, etc?
Does gay marriage provide America with anything?

Hint, all the questions have the same answer.
Still stuck? It's 'yes' or 'no' and has two letters.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#485 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, let's review, what does gay marriage do for America?
Does it provide a future workforce?
Does it provide us with future voters?
Does it provide us with future taxpayers?
Does it provide us with future soldiers?
Does it provide us with future scientists, doctors, teachers, etc?
Does gay marriage provide America with anything?
Hint, all the questions have the same answer.
Still stuck? It's 'yes' or 'no' and has two letters.
Yes to all.

Do you have a point here?

Location hidden

#486 Jun 23, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, for Justice Dumbass and anyone else that is inclined to believe him.
Look beyond the surface phenomenon.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#487 Jun 24, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes to all.
Do you have a point here?
Not one that a homosexual would understand.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#488 Jun 24, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Look beyond the surface phenomenon.
Why?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#489 Jun 24, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my, and you call other folk, "stupid".
If you believe that one, prove it.
You are my proof. I've asked many times what gay marriage does for America and got nothing in response. The common answer from your side was it brings the country closer to reaching its goals. Really? The country's goal is to be called Gay America? Even if that were true, it would be America doing for you, not you doing for America. Yes, you are stupid, at least when it comes to this question.

Location hidden

#490 Jun 24, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
As with the bills mentioned earlier, to find the real cause and the likely longterm outcome, it helps to see and understand the true dynamics that produced it.

Don't just look at the blush on the complexions. Look right down to the skulls.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#492 Jun 24, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You are my proof. I've asked many times what gay marriage does for America and got nothing in response. The common answer from your side was it brings the country closer to reaching its goals. Really? The country's goal is to be called Gay America? Even if that were true, it would be America doing for you, not you doing for America. Yes, you are stupid, at least when it comes to this question.
And the answer has been given to you repeatedly. Just because you dismiss our replies out of hand is not our fault you fail to comprehend our posts.

So one more time.

The country gets the same benefits to society that it receives from 'straight' marriages. Stable, supportive families.

Married couples are less likely to be on welfare. Why? Two incomes ARE better than one and as spouses, there is a presumption that they will take care of each other. The old richer and poorer, sickness and health found in many vows.

I know you don't like to hear it but gays and lesbian do have children. These children do better with married parents -- both emotionally and financially.

And before you say all that can happen without a marriage for same-sex couples -- Marriage comes with responsibilities as well as the rights and benefits most often touted. These responsibilities are not there when the couple is viewed as legal strangers.

Many of you religious fundementals claim that gays are more promiscuous than their straight counterparts. Not necessarily agreeing with that premise but what is the best way to curb that tendency -- you guessed it -- marriage. And if being promiscuous leads to more STD's, then the converse is true. More marriage, less STD's.

So the benefits for straights to marry -- including straights with and without children, older couples -- are the exact same reasons states should be encouraging gays and lesbians to marry.

And none of this bulls__t that gays can marry straights. Unless you see it as a viable option for yourself, sons and daughters don't even go there (again).

Location hidden

#493 Jun 24, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been told the answers again, and again, and again, by a multitude of different posters, over the space of many months, and you refuse to acknowledge it. Your inabilty to understand isn't my fault, nor is it reflective on my intelligence.

Only yours.

But, if you need help one more time, I can assist you with a few highlights. Feel free to Google for more, if you need further help.

1. Married couples are more secure emotionally, socially, and financially. Financially secure citizens are not as likely to be a drain on taxpayers.

2. Promoting marriage and a stable family life is a positive message for gay youth, exactly as it is for straight kids. Promoting only irresponsible behavior is not a good thing for any young person.

3. Gay people are raising (and will continue to raise) tens of thousands of wonderful children. Children are more secure emotionally and financially, with married parents.

4. Marriage helps protect the lives and assets of the elderly, including gay folks. A more secure elderly population means less reliance on state/federal aid.

Lets see you come up with ONE reason that gay married folks don't contribute to society in the same ways that straight couples do. Remember, though, you have to use examples that can't also be applied to any straight married couple.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#495 Jun 24, 2012
Quest wrote:
1. Married couples are more secure emotionally, socially, and financially. Financially secure citizens are not as likely to be a drain on taxpayers.
2. Promoting marriage and a stable family life is a positive message for gay youth, exactly as it is for straight kids. Promoting only irresponsible behavior is not a good thing for any young person.
3. Gay people are raising (and will continue to raise) tens of thousands of wonderful children. Children are more secure emotionally and financially, with married parents.
4. Marriage helps protect the lives and assets of the elderly, including gay folks. A more secure elderly population means less reliance on state/federal aid.
5. Lets see you come up with ONE reason that gay married folks don't contribute to society in the same ways that straight couples do.
6.Remember, though, you have to use examples that can't also be applied to any straight married couple.
1. Plenty of couples live together and share expenses. Financially secure citizen are those who thought about their future and planned for it. Got an education and showed responsibility.
2. Gay youth are the offspring of straight parents. They are familiar with family structure. Who promotes irresponsible behavior?
3. Not one of them created by a gay couple. The best setting for children is in a home with a married mother and father.
4. Most elderly people eventually live alone and need help.
5. I already did and it's more than one way. Go back a few posts and look.
6. Gay couples can't produce children and they are the leading speaders of HIV, by far.

So, what does gay marriage do for America?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#496 Jun 24, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
As with the bills mentioned earlier, to find the real cause and the likely longterm outcome, it helps to see and understand the true dynamics that produced it.
Don't just look at the blush on the complexions. Look right down to the skulls.
Who decides what "the real cause" is? Outcomes will be whatever they will be. Decisions are made by men and women in power and will depend on which men and women.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#497 Jun 24, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
So one more time.
1. The country gets the same benefits to society that it receives from 'straight' marriages. Stable, supportive families.
2. Married couples are less likely to be on welfare. Why? Two incomes ARE better than one and as spouses, there is a presumption that they will take care of each other. The old richer and poorer, sickness and health found in many vows.
3. I know you don't like to hear it but gays and lesbian do have children. These children do better with married parents -- both emotionally and financially.
4. And before you say all that can happen without a marriage for same-sex couples -- Marriage comes with responsibilities as well as the rights and benefits most often touted. These responsibilities are not there when the couple is viewed as legal strangers.
5. Many of you religious fundementals claim that gays are more promiscuous than their straight counterparts. Not necessarily agreeing with that premise but what is the best way to curb that tendency -- you guessed it -- marriage. And if being promiscuous leads to more STD's, then the converse is true. More marriage, less STD's.
6. So the benefits for straights to marry -- including straights with and without children, older couples -- are the exact same reasons states should be encouraging gays and lesbians to marry.
And none of this bulls__t that gays can marry straights. Unless you see it as a viable option for yourself, sons and daughters don't even go there (again).
One more time is right:
1. Gay couples can't produce families.
2. Marrriage is not required, just committment.
3. Gay couples can't produce children.
4. Baloney.
5. Promiscuous people won't be stopped by marriage.
6. No bull, gays should not be married at all. Here you are telling me that gay marriage benefits gays just as much as it does straights. The question agaiun is: What does gay marriage do for America? I didn't ask you what it does for gays.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#498 Jun 24, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm, then why are marriage licenses for straight folks enforceable across state borders? Just "tradition"? Or, does there have to be a valid state interest to deny recognition of legal marriages?

And you will note that bans on marriages for "person's of different races" were rendered null and void by the courts quite some time ago.

I wonder how THAT happened.
You can't truly expect a moron to understand the full faith and credit clause, much less that the DOMA violates same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Supreme Court Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Cheech the Conser... 241,682
News Support for gay marriage surges, even among gro... 1 hr Gremlin 6
News Victory for Donald Trump as US Supreme Court re... 1 hr Red Crosse 21
News Microphone cut after Mormon girl reveals shea s... 17 hr nomo 12
News Trump 'Travel Ban': US Supreme Court to Allow P... Mon CodeTalker 3
News U.S. Supreme Court Orders New Argument in Immig... Mon Jeff Brightone 1
News 30 years after Edwards v. Aguillard: Why creati... Sat Al Caplan 4
More from around the web