Firearms rally scheduled for Chambers...

Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

There are 10987 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Mar 29, 2013, titled Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9906 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>If that's true, why are there still 26000 falling deaths per year?
I guess that makes the 32,000 killed by firearms easier to swallow.

Like Scope does for your boyfriend's DNA sample, eh?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9907 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
Go to page 11, left hand column under "Firearm"....." Two major component causes of all firearm injury deaths in 2010 were suicide (61.2%) and homicide (35.0%)
Of course, what they had in common were: they died.

So when people say 32,000 firearm fatalities that means 32,000 died.

And it is projected there will be more firearm fatalities next year than motor vehicles.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#9908 Oct 29, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you not see your reading comprehension mistake or are you just pretending that it didn't happen?
Your stupidity doesn't make me a liar, kid.
So, just because you deem it as a mistake, makes it fact?

I don't think so.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#9909 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
About 40% of gun deaths are suicides. As far as I know, nobody tracks how many of those have a history of multiple attempts.
Do you have the answer, or is this just another in a long line of questions you're asking because you have no idea yourself?
You really hate being asked to define your statistics and apply them properly, don't ya? You asked the question in a previous post (to GP I believe) what proof is there that an individual intent on killing themselves will use whatever means is available. If you knew how many of those suicides had a history of multiple attempts (meaning they tried until they succeeded), you'd have the answer to your question as well. You'd also know that those particular suicides would not have been prevented by any gun restriction and can be eliminated from your 32000 as irrelevant to this particular debate. Forgive me for stating the obvious.

Why do you keep asking ME to answer the questions I ask of YOU? Do you ever give and honest direct answer to anything?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#9910 Oct 29, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
So, just because you deem it as a mistake, makes it fact?
I don't think so.
I didn't make a mistake, you did. You failed to comprehend plain English.

Now people with integrity who aren't pathologically insecure would simply say, "Oops, I goofed."

But not you. No, you just double-down on your stupidity and try to make it look like my fault.

That seems to be a pattern from the right in this thread. LOL!

Chambersburg, PA

#9911 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
You'd also know that those particular suicides would not have been prevented by any gun restriction
Source please.
Fed Up

Manchester, MI

#9912 Oct 29, 2013
According to the Suicide Awareness Voices of Education website ( SAVE.org ), on average, between 8 to 25 suicide attemps are made for every 1 that is sucessful. This implies that guns are NOT the cause of most suicide attempts (I don't think someone has to shoot themselves on 25 different occasions before they are sucessful). If guns are responsible for many of the sucessful suicides, then it ONLY indicates that some other method was tried on the other 24 attempts.

Chambersburg, PA

#9914 Oct 29, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
According to the Suicide Awareness Voices of Education website ( SAVE.org ), on average, between 8 to 25 suicide attemps are made for every 1 that is sucessful. This implies that guns are NOT the cause of most suicide attempts (I don't think someone has to shoot themselves on 25 different occasions before they are sucessful). If guns are responsible for many of the sucessful suicides, then it ONLY indicates that some other method was tried on the other 24 attempts.
Households with guns present have the higher rate of completed suicides than households who don't own firearms because suicide by gun almost always works.
Fed Up

Manchester, MI

#9915 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Households with guns present have the higher rate of completed suicides than households who don't own firearms because suicide by gun almost always works.
By this logic, you indicate that houses WITHOUT guns then are more likely to attempt suicide unsuccessfully.

Chambersburg, PA

#9917 Oct 29, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
By this logic, you indicate that houses WITHOUT guns then are more likely to attempt suicide unsuccessfully.
Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all.

But, yes - in households without guns, where suicide is attempted it is less likely to be successful.
What a surprise

Los Angeles, CA

#9918 Oct 29, 2013
Persons on highways without a car are less likely to attempt suicide at all.

But, yes - on highways with cars, where suicide is attempted it is likely to be successful.
Fed Up

Manchester, MI

#9919 Oct 29, 2013
PrinceofDarkness wrote:
<quoted text>\\
which is easier to repair, a bullet hole in the head or pumping out your stomach from pills?...hmmmmmmm... maybe one of the hillbillys can work on that issue when they are not fingering their sphincter....
In many cases death would be preferable to a botched attempt, that's the point, right?. Living in a coma or vegative state from pill or poison overdose is worse than suicide.

It's simply amazing how many low lifes there are out there. People have to resort to name calling, even when none has been done to them. I feel sorry for you, your life must be miserable.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#9920 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all.
Source please.

Chambersburg, PA

#9922 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Source please.
Sure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17426563

Southeast Virginia

#9924 Oct 29, 2013
Keys words from your link:
"....consistent with the hypothesis that the availability of lethal means increases the rate of completed suicide."

NOT factual proof.

Also not proof that the mere presence of a firearm leads to the increased RISK of suicide, as you stated. Firearms may be a more efficient means to an end, but that does NOT mean they are the cause.

Southeast Virginia

#9925 Oct 29, 2013
....or the reason for the suicide attempt.

Chambersburg, PA

#9926 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Keys words from your link:
"....consistent with the hypothesis that the availability of lethal means increases the rate of completed suicide."
NOT factual proof.
Also not proof that the mere presence of a firearm leads to the increased RISK of suicide, as you stated. Firearms may be a more efficient means to an end, but that does NOT mean they are the cause.
I'm sorry - where did I say "cause?"

My statement was, "Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all." And according to the empirical research, that statement is true.

Chambersburg, PA

#9927 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
....or the reason for the suicide attempt.
I never said that guns are the reason either, did I?

Southeast Virginia

#9928 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm sorry - where did I say "cause?"
My statement was, "Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all." And according to the empirical research, that statement is true.
What "emperical research"??? Your statement is not supported by your link. That is a conclusion that YOU jumped to.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#9929 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Source please.
Obvious to all but the oblivious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Secret Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heavy security at Trump Tower not going away an... Nov 22 Lawrence Wolf 27
News Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump sp... Nov 7 RushFan666 30
News Russian man convicted of hacking into US busine... Aug '16 Mizike67 5
News Russian man faces US trial in lucrative hacking... Aug '16 Nu Wor Order 4
News Cleveland prepares for RNC convention protests (May '16) May '16 Hostis Publicus 9
News Flight logs show Bill Clinton flew on sex offen... (May '16) May '16 Jelly Belly Popcorn 3
News Man shot outside White House remains in critica... (May '16) May '16 WeTheSheeple 2
More from around the web