Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

Mar 29, 2013 Full story: Chambersburg Public Opinion 11,004

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Full Story

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#8137 Sep 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no honest way to claim that liberals have not and are not deeply invested in crime reduction and mental health. That claim is a tactic to avoid honestly addressing the issue.
If you were honestly addressing the issue we wouldn't be having this conversation. The problem isn't guns. The problem is people. You know it as well as I do. Restricting and regulating the rights of the law abiding will do absolutely nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals and psychos. All you can hope for with that aproach is to cause the criminals/psychos to buy on the black market or steal what they desire.......which the vast majority of them already do. Gun control is NOT the answer to reducing the violence and crime, reducing the number of criminals and psychos free to commit crime and acts of murder is undeniably the way to reduce crime and violence. A killer without a gun is still a killer, a gun without a killer is just a hunk of metal.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#8138 Sep 30, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
And we all know what an upstanding citizen you are. o.O
How is the Democratic Government Shutdown going to affect you Dan?
I don't know. How do fairies and dragons affect you?

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#8140 Sep 30, 2013
Consistant wrote:
The .45-caliber pistol that killed Lucas Heagren, 3, on Memorial Day last year at his Ohio home had been temporarily hidden under the couch by his father. But Lucas found it and shot himself through the right eye.“It’s bad,” his mother told the 911 dispatcher.“It’s really bad.”
A few days later in Georgia, Cassie Culpepper, 11, was riding in the back of a pickup with her 12-year-old brother and two other children. Her brother started playing with a pistol his father had lent him to scare coyotes. Believing he had removed all the bullets, he pointed the pistol at his sister and squeezed the trigger. It fired, and blood poured from Cassie’s mouth.
Just a few weeks earlier, in Houston, a group of youths found a Glock pistol in an apartment closet while searching for snack money. A 15-year-old boy was handling the gun when it went off. Alex Whitfield, who had just turned 11, was struck. A relative found the bullet in his ashes from the funeral home.
Bearing Arms
Cases like these are among the most gut-wrenching of gun deaths. Children shot accidentally — usually by other children — are collateral casualties of the accessibility of guns in America, their deaths all the more devastating for being eminently preventable.
They die in the households of police officers and drug dealers, in broken homes and close-knit families, on rural farms and in city apartments. Some adults whose guns were used had tried to store them safely; others were grossly negligent. Still others pulled the trigger themselves, accidentally fracturing their own families while cleaning a pistol or hunting.
And there are far more of these innocent victims than official records show.
A New York Times review of hundreds of child firearm deaths found that accidental shootings occurred roughly twice as often as the records indicate, because of idiosyncrasies in how such deaths are classified by the authorities. The killings of Lucas, Cassie and Alex, for instance, were not recorded as accidents. Nor were more than half of the 259 accidental firearm deaths of children under age 15 identified by The Times in eight states where records were available.
As a result, scores of accidental killings are not reflected in the official statistics that have framed the debate over how to protect children from guns.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children...
For each one of the stories you listed there is and INDIVIDUAL who is COMPLETELY responsible for what happened. There is where your attention should be focussed, not on me and my firearmes because I had absolutely nothing to do with any of those incidents and neither were any of my firearmes involved.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

~ Ronald Reagan ~

Chambersburg, PA

#8141 Sep 30, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>If you were honestly addressing the issue we wouldn't be having this conversation. The problem isn't guns. The problem is people. You know it as well as I do. Restricting and regulating the rights of the law abiding will do absolutely nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals and psychos. All you can hope for with that aproach is to cause the criminals/psychos to buy on the black market or steal what they desire.......which the vast majority of them already do. Gun control is NOT the answer to reducing the violence and crime, reducing the number of criminals and psychos free to commit crime and acts of murder is undeniably the way to reduce crime and violence. A killer without a gun is still a killer, a gun without a killer is just a hunk of metal.
When you frame the question as "laws against criminal behavior" vs "gun safety laws" you are creating a false choice. You create that false choice to avoid honestly dealing with the issue.

Chambersburg, PA

#8142 Sep 30, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>If you were honestly addressing the issue we wouldn't be having this conversation. The problem isn't guns. The problem is people. You know it as well as I do. Restricting and regulating the rights of the law abiding will do absolutely nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals and psychos. All you can hope for with that aproach is to cause the criminals/psychos to buy on the black market or steal what they desire.......which the vast majority of them already do. Gun control is NOT the answer to reducing the violence and crime, reducing the number of criminals and psychos free to commit crime and acts of murder is undeniably the way to reduce crime and violence. A killer without a gun is still a killer, a gun without a killer is just a hunk of metal.
No measure will 100% solve the problem - including everything you've suggested.

When you start from the assumption that if gun safety measures don't solve the whole problem 100% then they are a waste of time, you are framing the issue so that you can avoid honestly dealing with it.
Consistant

Biglerville, PA

#8144 Sep 30, 2013
On a hot and humid August afternoon last year in Hinesville, Ga., Matthew Underhill, a staff sergeant in the Army, was mowing the lawn while his wife, Tessa, was in the house watching television with their 5-year-old son, Matthew. Their other son, Tristan, 2, was scampering down a hallway toward the bedrooms.

It had been a good day for Tristan. He had used the potty for the first time. He and his mother had danced a little jig. Down the hall, Tristan entered the bedroom where his father had been staying because of quarrels with his wife. She had chided her husband in the past for forgetting to safely store his .45-caliber handgun. But he had recently put a lock on his door to keep out his wife and children. He thought he had locked the door before going out to cut the grass.

The lock, though, had failed to catch. Tristan found the loaded gun under the pillow on his father’s bed. He pointed it at his own forehead and pulled the trigger. Hearing the gunshot, Sergeant Underhill sprinted inside to find Tristan face down on the bed, the gun beneath him. When he called 911, the sergeant was screaming so hysterically that the dispatcher initially mistook him for a woman.

“My 2-year-old just shot himself in the head,” he said breathlessly.“He’s dead.”

Consistant

Biglerville, PA

#8145 Sep 30, 2013
About half of the accidents took place inside the child’s home. A third, however, occurred at the house of a friend or a relative, pointing to a potential vulnerability if safe-storage laws apply only to households with children, as in North Carolina.

In opposing safe-storage laws, some gun rights advocates have argued that a majority of accidental shootings of children are committed by adults with criminal backgrounds. The Times’s review found that was not the case — children were most often the shooters — and that the families involved came from all walks of life.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#8147 Sep 30, 2013
LuciferakaGod wrote:
<quoted text>
another moron throwing out assertions pulled from his anal orifice..
show us how you got the lower standards story...
How about straight out of the educational system? Several of my family members are teachers, with the majority of them (3 out of 4) being extreme left wing democrats. Two have retired within the last 5 years, one is a principal, and the other still teaches.

Next.
Consistant

Biglerville, PA

#8150 Sep 30, 2013
On Dec. 1, 2006, Beth Dwyer was getting her two boys, ages 5 and 8, ready for school. Her husband, Daron, the minister of music at the family’s church in Gastonia, N.C., was not home because he had enrolled in a seminary several hours away. The night before, Ms. Dwyer had taken the family’s .25-caliber handgun from the top drawer of a dresser and placed it next to her on the bed. In the morning, she forgot to put it away.

Her 8-year-old found the gun. He initially tried to cock it and pulled the trigger, pointing the gun at the bathroom floor, but nothing happened, according to the medical examiner’s report. Evidently thinking the gun was empty, he tried again, pointing the gun at his brother, Matthew, who was crouched on the bathroom counter, having just finished brushing his teeth. This time, with a live round in the chamber, the gun went off, and Matthew toppled to the floor, shot through the forehead.

Consistant

Biglerville, PA

#8151 Sep 30, 2013
Jodi Sandoval of Ohio discovered the limits of her state’s laws after her 14-year-old son, Noah McGuire, was accidentally killed on July 5, 2012, in a suburb of Columbus.

Noah had slept over at the home of his close friend Levi Reed, who lived with his grandparents. In the morning, with no adults around, the boys went looking for a lighter to set off some fireworks. Instead, they found a .45-caliber handgun behind a television in a bedroom, one of three guns that Levi’s grandfather later told the police he had kept there for protection.

Though his grandfather had always admonished him never to handle the weapons, Levi, 14, removed the magazine, pointed the gun at his friend and pulled the trigger. He did not realize that a round had remained in the chamber.

Levi was recently sentenced in juvenile court to 12 months of probation for reckless homicide, a felony. Ms. Sandoval strongly opposed the prosecution, telling the court at Levi’s sentencing that the adults who failed to properly secure the gun were the ones who should be punished. But there is no safe-storage law in Ohio.

“There are no accidents,” Ms. Sandoval said.“There are simply irresponsible, stubborn, cowardly adults unwilling to stand up against the gun lobby and those who support it.”

A safe-storage bill was introduced in the Ohio legislature in February, prompted by a shooting that killed three students at a high school in suburban Cleveland. But the measure, which would prohibit storing a firearm in a residence in a place readily accessible to a child, has encountered skepticism from the Republicans who control the legislature.

“The tenor was, somebody breaks in, do I have time enough to get to my gun?” said State Representative Bill Patmon, a Democrat who introduced the bill.

A similar measure introduced in Louisiana this year also went nowhere.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#8152 Sep 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't know. How do fairies and dragons affect you?
I figured you'd deny and deflect.

Chambersburg, PA

#8153 Sep 30, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured you'd deny and deflect.
You ask me about a mythical thing so I responded by asking you about mythical things. That's not denying or deflecting - that's just playing the game you want to play. If you want me to be serious - then be serious.

Southeast Virginia

#8154 Sep 30, 2013
LuciferakaGod wrote:
key recommendation of the 1983 A Nation
At Risk report was to increase the percentage of
high school graduates who take rigorous academic
courses. The report specified which courses
students should take and how many of them
students should take over the four-year period.
Since that report, the percentage of students
taking the recommended courses has grown
significantly. NAEP, using transcript studies from
1990 to 2005, reported changes in the percent of
students “completing curriculum at or above
mid-level.”
well, so much for the lower standards assertion from armed moron..
They are completing curriculum at or above mid-level because that mid-level standard keeps getting LOWERED every year. If you LOWER the standard, of course more kids are going to meet or exceed it. There are students that are getting to the 5th grade (just passed along) that still cannot do 2nd grade math or can barely write their own name??? I have seen examples of both personally.

Southeast Virginia

#8155 Sep 30, 2013
Consistant wrote:
Jodi Sandoval of Ohio discovered the limits of her state’s laws after her 14-year-old son, Noah McGuire, was accidentally killed on July 5, 2012, in a suburb of Columbus.
Noah had slept over at the home of his close friend Levi Reed, who lived with his grandparents. In the morning, with no adults around, the boys went looking for a lighter to set off some fireworks. Instead, they found a .45-caliber handgun behind a television in a bedroom, one of three guns that Levi’s grandfather later told the police he had kept there for protection.
Though his grandfather had always admonished him never to handle the weapons, Levi, 14, removed the magazine, pointed the gun at his friend and pulled the trigger. He did not realize that a round had remained in the chamber.
Levi was recently sentenced in juvenile court to 12 months of probation for reckless homicide, a felony. Ms. Sandoval strongly opposed the prosecution, telling the court at Levi’s sentencing that the adults who failed to properly secure the gun were the ones who should be punished. But there is no safe-storage law in Ohio.
“There are no accidents,” Ms. Sandoval said.“There are simply irresponsible, stubborn, cowardly adults unwilling to stand up against the gun lobby and those who support it.”
A safe-storage bill was introduced in the Ohio legislature in February, prompted by a shooting that killed three students at a high school in suburban Cleveland. But the measure, which would prohibit storing a firearm in a residence in a place readily accessible to a child, has encountered skepticism from the Republicans who control the legislature.
“The tenor was, somebody breaks in, do I have time enough to get to my gun?” said State Representative Bill Patmon, a Democrat who introduced the bill.
A similar measure introduced in Louisiana this year also went nowhere.
ALL perfect examples of what happens when kids are not taught what to do if they find a gun, and what can happen when IRRESPONSIBLE parents leave guns in the home where children can get to them.

YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE RESPONSIBILITY!

Southeast Virginia

#8156 Sep 30, 2013
LuciferakaGod wrote:
<quoted text>
wow.. 4 people... can't argue with those statistics...
(THIS GUY IS A CERTIFIED FU-K-TARD)...
Yes. Four people...all in the public schools sytem....none of whom set school standards.....working in four different districts.....in three different states. Sounds like a pretty diverse mix, all with the similar results.
Where

Santa Fe, NM

#8157 Sep 30, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
How about straight out of the educational system? Several of my family members are teachers, with the majority of them (3 out of 4) being extreme left wing democrats. Two have retired within the last 5 years, one is a principal, and the other still teaches.
Next.
did you go wrong?
Consistant

Biglerville, PA

#8158 Sep 30, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL perfect examples of what happens when kids are not taught what to do if they find a gun, and what can happen when IRRESPONSIBLE parents leave guns in the home where children can get to them.
YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE RESPONSIBILITY!
all perfect examples of what happens when children have access to guns, access can be legislated.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#8159 Sep 30, 2013
<quoted text>
You ask me about a mythical thing so I responded by asking you about mythical things. That's not denying or deflecting - that's just playing the game you want to play. If you want me to be serious - then be serious.
I was very serious, about a real-life scenario, just because you deny it does not make it "mythical".

Southeast Virginia

#8160 Sep 30, 2013
Consistant wrote:
<quoted text>
all perfect examples of what happens when children have access to guns, access can be legislated.
Sure...you can legislate it. How would you ENFORCE it?

Southeast Virginia

#8161 Sep 30, 2013
Consistant wrote:
<quoted text>
Legislation does nothing after-the-fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Secret Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Multiple Hess Gas Stations Hit By Skimmers (Apr '14) 2 hr Choppa 15
Obama taps Clancy to lead the Secret Service Feb 19 Gruber Makes Sens... 2
Drone maker says it's 'highly unlikely' White H... Feb 2 Eleanor 2
Shots fired near Vice President Biden's Delawar... Jan '15 Gary 57
things to consider when buying a new home in sy... Jan '15 primebuildingbrokers 1
Secret Service Panel: Build Bigger Fence Around... Dec '14 Sunshine 2
Street Artist SABO Blasts Lena Dunham, Bill Cli... Dec '14 Anonymous 1
More from around the web