Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

Mar 29, 2013 Full story: Chambersburg Public Opinion 11,004

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Full Story
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#7764 Sep 25, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I support blocking gun sales to people with severe mental illness like Lindsey Graham proposed.
Here is a little history for you. Gang violence was on the rise so those politicians wanting to calm the citizens said the preferred weapon of gangs was the switchblade knife so let's ban them. Gang violence increased because they just moved to cheap guns so lawmakers decided to ban cheap made import "saturday night specials". Gangs just moved to better more accurate more dependable guns like Glocks and name brand guns. Did any of these laws work? NO, instead they just forced gangs to move to more efficient weapons. When are those like you going to realize violence is violence regardless of the tool used. "Gun violence" is just human violence. If you want to cut down the violence then target that, not the tool. Find out why the youth join gangs, what fuels violence. You don't put a band aid on a cancer patient. The problem is not as simple as just gun control. Untill you can change human nature then the tool is just a secondary sign of a problem. Violent video games, violent rap music by "gangstas" promoting violence would be a better start.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#7765 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Really? 80%?
Source please.
FBI crime stats. Roughly 80% of all gun murders are criminals killing other criminals, and usually by those in the drug trade.
DGS

Fayetteville, PA

#7766 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And if you want to do that, pass legislation that will keep violent repeat offenders either locked up in jail for the rest of their lives, or execute them and be done with them. That will solve 80% or more of your problem right there.
Repeat offenders? I believe if you commit a felony with a firearm, you are done. You have demonstrated your willing disregard for human life and WE need to be protected from you. Knowing that the 7-11 you are thinking of knocking off could result in life at hard labor might, just might act as a deterrent.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#7767 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
Now about those 19,000+ suicides per anum.....how do you wish to deal with those without infringing on the rights of the other 85,000,000+ gun owners?
Universal access to comprehensive mental health services and medications, public training to how to recognize symptoms of depression and other mental illness, public education regarding the facts of mental illness in order to reduce stigma, increased crisis intervention services, restriction of gun ownership to those who are a danger to themselves or others.

Chambersburg, PA

#7768 Sep 25, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>Name one group or country that removed a dictator or tyrant by voting them out. I can name hundreds that was forced to use violence to remove them.
Name one country with a history of democracy as strong as ours and a legal system as strong as ours who has had a tyrant in power in the first place.

You are comparing the United States of America to weak and failed third-world states when there simply is no comparison.

Chambersburg, PA

#7770 Sep 25, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>And I have advocated for taking the dangerously insane out of society until such time as they no longer present a threat to themselves or others. Please try to be honest.
We already do that.
Squach wrote:
Think about this for a moment. Gun control laws do not reduce the number of illegal gun sales, they simply create more ways to sell them illegally. The black market where the vast majority of criminals/psychos obtain illegal firearms is unaffected. Save for the opportunity to do more business. While the law abiding citizen find it much more difficult to do business even thou it is his constitutional right.
I already addressed this in the post you replied to.

Chambersburg, PA

#7771 Sep 25, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>How is pointing out that trained police kill more innocent people than armed citizens change the subject of you claiming citizens are too dangerous to own gun?
You're making a ridiculous comparison between people who deal with dangerous criminals for a living 40+ hours per week and average citizens who can live a lifetime without encountering a dangerous criminal.

And I pointed out that YOU apparently believe that trained professionals with guns are unsafe. The logical conclusion is that untrained non-professionals would be even more unsafe. Right?

Chambersburg, PA

#7772 Sep 25, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a little history for you. Gang violence was on the rise so those politicians wanting to calm the citizens said the preferred weapon of gangs was the switchblade knife so let's ban them. Gang violence increased because they just moved to cheap guns so lawmakers decided to ban cheap made import "saturday night specials". Gangs just moved to better more accurate more dependable guns like Glocks and name brand guns. Did any of these laws work? NO, instead they just forced gangs to move to more efficient weapons. When are those like you going to realize violence is violence regardless of the tool used. "Gun violence" is just human violence. If you want to cut down the violence then target that, not the tool. Find out why the youth join gangs, what fuels violence. You don't put a band aid on a cancer patient. The problem is not as simple as just gun control. Untill you can change human nature then the tool is just a secondary sign of a problem. Violent video games, violent rap music by "gangstas" promoting violence would be a better start.
Now you're changing the subject from mental illness to gang violence.

I'm not sure who you think you're arguing with here. I have never claimed gun safety regulations will solve gang violence.

Chambersburg, PA

#7773 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
FBI crime stats. Roughly 80% of all gun murders are criminals killing other criminals, and usually by those in the drug trade.
You said that violent repeat-offenders are responsible for 80% of the gun violence problem, and locking them up for life or executing would solve that problem. Now you're talking about ALL criminals. You're talking about two different things.

Care to try again?

Southeast Virginia

#7775 Sep 25, 2013
DGS wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeat offenders? I believe if you commit a felony with a firearm, you are done. You have demonstrated your willing disregard for human life and WE need to be protected from you. Knowing that the 7-11 you are thinking of knocking off could result in life at hard labor might, just might act as a deterrent.
No argument here. Leave them locked up until they rot.

Chambersburg, PA

#7776 Sep 25, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>Don't even try to sell that. Almost every dictator rose to power with the support of the people including Hitler and Saddam. Once in power it was almost impossible for the citizens to remove them. This has been proven over and over through out human history. In case you missed it the forming of this country was just that. The fending off of a dictator. Why do you think those who had just survived that bloody war put the Second Amendment in our constitution? They knew FIRST HAND how important it was.
The forming of our country was not removing a dictator from power who was put there with the support of the people. It was an armed revolution against a king.

There is simply no reasonable comparison between an 18th century monarchy and our modern 21st century constitutional democracy.

Southeast Virginia

#7777 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Universal access to comprehensive mental health services and medications, public training to how to recognize symptoms of depression and other mental illness, public education regarding the facts of mental illness in order to reduce stigma, increased crisis intervention services, restriction of gun ownership to those who are a danger to themselves or others.
In order to reduce stigma?? You mean the way you stigmatize every law-abiding gun ower as a potential violent offender (paraphrasing you "Everyone is law-abiding until they are not.") And who would determine who is a danger to themselves or others? The government or some paid shill for the government? The very same people who are trying to disarm the general public now?(and you can deny it all you want.....but that is the Left's goal. And they prove it EVERY TIME a tragedy occurs.)

As the other poster suggested...we already have the mechanisms in place to do most of what you suggest. We do not need more of the same. We need to fix what we have now.

Chambersburg, PA

#7778 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to reduce stigma?? You mean the way you stigmatize every law-abiding gun ower as a potential violent offender (paraphrasing you "Everyone is law-abiding until they are not.") And who would determine who is a danger to themselves or others? The government or some paid shill for the government? The very same people who are trying to disarm the general public now?(and you can deny it all you want.....but that is the Left's goal. And they prove it EVERY TIME a tragedy occurs.)
As the other poster suggested...we already have the mechanisms in place to do most of what you suggest. We do not need more of the same. We need to fix what we have now.
*sigh*

You asked a question and I answered. Now you're just spewing discredited reactionary emotionalism. Get back to me when you can be reasonable.

Chambersburg, PA

#7782 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
No....what I am doing is calling you a f-ing HYPOCRITE.
You're calling me names based on positions you imagine I hold instead of what I actually believe. You're calling me names because you're frustrated that I'm calling out your over-the-top rhetoric. You're calling me names because when you stick to actually debating the actual facts, you lose every time.

Grow up, son. Don't you get tired of embarrassing yourself?

Southeast Virginia

#7784 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
You're calling me names based on positions you imagine I hold instead of what I actually believe. You're calling me names because you're frustrated that I'm calling out your over-the-top rhetoric. You're calling me names because when you stick to actually debating the actual facts, you lose every time.
Grow up, son. Don't you get tired of embarrassing yourself?
I will never get tired of embarrassing YOU.(and it is so damn easy)

Southeast Virginia

#7785 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
The forming of our country was not removing a dictator from power who was put there with the support of the people. It was an armed revolution against a king.
There is simply no reasonable comparison between an 18th century monarchy and our modern 21st century constitutional democracy.
It doesn't matter who a dictator has the support of. A dictator is still a dictator. And when he starts usurping the Consitutionally guaranteed rights of the people, he must be removed (preferably by the ballot box, but removed nonetheless).

Chambersburg, PA

#7786 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, dipshit. I am calling you a hypocrite based on your actual posts. Do you deny saying that everyone is a law-abiding person until they are not, when referring to gun owners???
Sorry, but your inability to accurately understand my statement and your willful disregard of my clarification on it doesn't make me a hypocrite.

Try again, son.

Chambersburg, PA

#7787 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I will never get tired of embarrassing YOU.(and it is so damn easy)
Just more proof of the world of delusion you live in, son.

LOL!

Chambersburg, PA

#7789 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
You said that violent repeat-offenders are responsible for 80% of the gun violence problem, and locking them up for life or executing would solve that problem. Now you're talking about ALL criminals. You're talking about two different things.
Care to try again?
I guess he doesn't want to try again.

Probably too embarrassed.

LOL!

Chambersburg, PA

#7791 Sep 25, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter who a dictator has the support of. A dictator is still a dictator. And when he starts usurping the Consitutionally guaranteed rights of the people, he must be removed (preferably by the ballot box, but removed nonetheless).
It's like you aren't even reading my posts. You're just responding to what you imagine I've said rather than what I've actually said.

Your comparison makes no logical sense. A monarchy isn't put in place by the support of the people. England was a pure monarchy in 1776. There was no "usurping of constitutionally protected rights of the people." He wasn't elected by the people then took autocratic control.

And that's never going to happen here. We've never had anything in even the same universe as that. You're allowing your vivid, fearful, paranoid imagination to run away with you. Nothing in reality supports this fantasy of yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Secret Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Multiple Hess Gas Stations Hit By Skimmers (Apr '14) Tue Choppa 15
Obama taps Clancy to lead the Secret Service Feb 19 Gruber Makes Sens... 2
Drone maker says it's 'highly unlikely' White H... Feb '15 Eleanor 2
Shots fired near Vice President Biden's Delawar... Jan '15 Gary 57
things to consider when buying a new home in sy... Jan '15 primebuildingbrokers 1
Secret Service Panel: Build Bigger Fence Around... Dec '14 Sunshine 2
Street Artist SABO Blasts Lena Dunham, Bill Cli... Dec '14 Anonymous 1
More from around the web