Firearms rally scheduled for Chambers...

Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

There are 10952 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Mar 29, 2013, titled Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

FormerParatroope r

Columbus, OH

#6085 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody said "kill the n*****" about Bush?
It was not said with n****, the threats were still made. It does not matter the description, what matters is the intent.
FormerParatroope r

Columbus, OH

#6086 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you're going to find evidence of widespread in-person voter fraud in Illinois. I'm not sure why you had the impression it was "well known" when it didn't happen at all.
It is, in fact, some special ID that's being required in many states - a state-issued photo ID. State issued ID without a photo isn't allowed. Student photo ID isn't allowed. It is specific and restrictive.
Nobody ever said only Democratic voters don't have the required ID. But it has been shown that the groups least likely to have the ID are groups that typically vote Democratic. I've listed some of them already.
The state trial over voter ID in PA was widely covered by all media outlets. The facts I present here are from biased sources. And I never said that "only" Democrats are affected.
Whenever making the vote "fraud free" begins to disenfranchise legal, qualified voters in the face of no evidence of any election ever being impacted by in-person voter fraud, then I begin to question the motive behind the effort. In this case, we have an elected PA Republican publicly saying that the voter ID in this state was designed to swing the state to Romney.
I don't separate justified from unjustified because I don't see the value in the distinction. Dead is dead and I personally don't believe anybody deserves to die. I could ask why it's so important to you to minimize the number of your fellow Americans who are dead from guns.
There is much you probably don't know about Illinois politics. Not a slight, just that one needs to be involved here to begin to understand. There will be a time when you will be surprised at what comes out.

I make the distinction for the important reason that justified deaths are the fault of the person who died. Had they not made the decision that caused thief death, they would be alive. Criminals, abusers etc who put a person in a position to use deadly force are responsible for their demise. That does not minimize their death, it us the fact of their death. You cannot begin to create a solution when the facts are ignored.
FormerParatroope r

Columbus, OH

#6087 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I misread this the first time...
The new voter ID requirements and their adverse impact on minority voters so outraged minority voters that they turned out in larger numbers at the polls. It was gratifying to see that GOP efforts at voter suppression had a perverse impact on the minority electorate last year.
Hopefully the continued national focus on GOP efforts to implement discriminatory electoral laws will keep minority voters fired up. As we learned 50 years ago, the active engagement of the electorate on these matters is the only way to defeat discrimination, inequality, and injustice.
It was not the proposed laws that fired people up to vote. There are many reasons from the wars, economy, racism from both white and black, that motivated voters.

We will have racial strife as long people make distinctions by race. We stop that, the strife will fade away.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6088 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
Names are important, especially when the target audience does not fully grasp firearms.
Unlicensed dealers? Do you mean private citizens? Shouldn't a private citizen be allowed to sell any legal property?
Well I guess if you aren't a licensed gun dealer then you're a private citizen, right? So yes, that's who we're talking about.

In 39 states you can buy guns without proof of ID. In zero states you can vote without proof of ID. It is harder to vote in this country that it is to buy a gun.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6089 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
Where I am the requirement was State issued ID, a drivers license, a State ID for non drivers or other ID like a passport. PA is not my focus. I think a picture ID from the State is the option. It is the same requirement for everything else that requires ID.
No it's not the same for everything else that requires ID. GOP lawmakers around the country are making the ID requirement to vote more restrictive and specific than for other things that require ID.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6090 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not said with n****, the threats were still made. It does not matter the description, what matters is the intent.
There was racist intent, hence the N-word. That's an added aspect that Bush didn't have to contend with.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6091 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
There is much you probably don't know about Illinois politics. Not a slight, just that one needs to be involved here to begin to understand. There will be a time when you will be surprised at what comes out.
I make the distinction for the important reason that justified deaths are the fault of the person who died. Had they not made the decision that caused thief death, they would be alive. Criminals, abusers etc who put a person in a position to use deadly force are responsible for their demise. That does not minimize their death, it us the fact of their death. You cannot begin to create a solution when the facts are ignored.
I'm sure there's a lot about IL politics that I don't understand. That doesn't change the fact that there is no evidence of wide-spread, well-known in-person voter fraud there.

I'm not ignoring any facts. The fact that a person put himself in a position where he ended up being shot doesn't change the fact that he likely would not be dead if there wasn't a gun involved.

And that's my point - weapons that are so easy to use and so successfully cause death with such little skill increase the death rate in this country. It's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6092 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not the proposed laws that fired people up to vote. There are many reasons from the wars, economy, racism from both white and black, that motivated voters.
We will have racial strife as long people make distinctions by race. We stop that, the strife will fade away.
There were many things that motivated people to vote in 2012. But among African Americans, the proposed laws restricting voting rights most certainly did motivate them to come out in larger numbers than previously. That fact has been widely reported.

I'm not sure what you mean "make distinctions by race." Race exists and discriminatory and prejudicial treatment by race exists. Acknowledgement of that fact and talking about that fact doesn't cause racial strife. It's the solution to racial strife.
FormerParatroope r

Portage, MI

#6093 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I guess if you aren't a licensed gun dealer then you're a private citizen, right? So yes, that's who we're talking about.
In 39 states you can buy guns without proof of ID. In zero states you can vote without proof of ID. It is harder to vote in this country that it is to buy a gun.
So I cannot sell my personal property without your or the governments consent? Whether it is a firearm, a lawn mower, horse or whatever?
FormerParatroope r

Portage, MI

#6094 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
There was racist intent, hence the N-word. That's an added aspect that Bush didn't have to contend with.
It does matter whether it was race, intelligence, or any other reason. Did you have the same reaction?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6095 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
So I cannot sell my personal property without your or the governments consent? Whether it is a firearm, a lawn mower, horse or whatever?
Nope, I never said that.

What I said was the proof of ID isn't required for you to sell or buy a gun, but it is required to vote.

BTW - can you sell a car without the government's consent?
FormerParatroope r

Portage, MI

#6096 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure there's a lot about IL politics that I don't understand. That doesn't change the fact that there is no evidence of wide-spread, well-known in-person voter fraud there.
I'm not ignoring any facts. The fact that a person put himself in a position where he ended up being shot doesn't change the fact that he likely would not be dead if there wasn't a gun involved.
And that's my point - weapons that are so easy to use and so successfully cause death with such little skill increase the death rate in this country. It's a problem that needs to be addressed.
. What needs to be addressed is the criminal action, not the lawful action. Call me callous, when someone intends to harm another and they are killed attempting it, they are at fault, not the intended victim. When criminals stop plying their craft they will not only live, but maybe contribute to society. Yes, the fact is they died, the fact is they created the situation. Are you intending to say victims should not resist? I hope not, because that is not moral or even remotely natural.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6097 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
It does matter whether it was race, intelligence, or any other reason. Did you have the same reaction?
Yes, I thought it was outrageous when people made death threats against Bush and I said so. I thought the movie depicting his assassination was stupid and offensive and I said so.

And attacks on this President based on his race most certainly do matter. Minimizing or dismissing them provides cover for racists and is as morally offensive as the racist attacks themselves.
FormerParatroope r

Portage, MI

#6098 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I never said that.
What I said was the proof of ID isn't required for you to sell or buy a gun, but it is required to vote.
BTW - can you sell a car without the government's consent?
I can vote without an ID, it is not requested when I cast my ballot. When I buy a firearm or ammunition I must show two forms of ID. One is a government issue ID and the other is a State issued firearms card. If I sell a firearm to anyone, I must record their FFL and FOID,or ID and FOID. So how is it easier to get a firearm than to vote?

I can always find someone who will sell a firearm illegally, drugs and any contraband I could ever want, and I can go to any voting place and misrepresent my identity and vote. Anyone can.

The GCA of 1968 makes it a punishable offense to transfer in any form a firearm to restricted persons, whether you are a dealer or private citizen.

It seems to me it is easier to vote legally that to get a firearm legally. I don't think Clintons statement is fact, it is just hyperbole.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6099 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>. What needs to be addressed is the criminal action, not the lawful action. Call me callous, when someone intends to harm another and they are killed attempting it, they are at fault, not the intended victim. When criminals stop plying their craft they will not only live, but maybe contribute to society. Yes, the fact is they died, the fact is they created the situation. Are you intending to say victims should not resist? I hope not, because that is not moral or even remotely natural.
What needs to be addressed are all preventable deaths.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6100 Aug 30, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
I can vote without an ID, it is not requested when I cast my ballot. When I buy a firearm or ammunition I must show two forms of ID. One is a government issue ID and the other is a State issued firearms card. If I sell a firearm to anyone, I must record their FFL and FOID,or ID and FOID. So how is it easier to get a firearm than to vote?
I can always find someone who will sell a firearm illegally, drugs and any contraband I could ever want, and I can go to any voting place and misrepresent my identity and vote. Anyone can.
The GCA of 1968 makes it a punishable offense to transfer in any form a firearm to restricted persons, whether you are a dealer or private citizen.
It seems to me it is easier to vote legally that to get a firearm legally. I don't think Clintons statement is fact, it is just hyperbole.
Again, I've specifically said we are not talking about buying guns from a licensed dealer. You can buy a gun from a private citizen in Ohio without ID, right? But you can't vote in Ohio without showing ID.

----------

Ohio law requires that every voter, upon appearing at the polling place to vote on Election Day, to announce his or her full name and current address and provide proof of the voter's identity.

The forms of identification that may be used by a voter who appears at a polling place to vote on an Election Day include:

- A current and valid photo identification card issued by the State of Ohio or the United States government; or
- A military identification ("military ID"); or
- An original or copy of a current utility bill; or
- An original or copy of a current bank statement; or
- An original or copy of a current government check; or
- An original or copy of a current paycheck; or
- An original or copy of a current other government document, other than a voter registration acknowledgement notification mailed by the board of elections, that shows the voterís name and current address.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/elections/Voters/F...
Marauder

North Pole, AK

#6101 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
There was racist intent, hence the N-word. That's an added aspect that Bush didn't have to contend with.
Other than being called a chimp and shown that way in political cartoons.
AnswersRus

Lander, WY

#6102 Aug 30, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than being called a chimp and shown that way in political cartoons.
There are many similarities between the two. For one, they both have huge protruding ears.
AnswersRus

Lander, WY

#6103 Aug 30, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
What needs to be addressed are all preventable deaths.
Impossible.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#6104 Aug 30, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than being called a chimp and shown that way in political cartoons.
Right. Because 'chimp' a well-known racist smear against white people.

Give me a break!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Secret Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In gubernatorial campaign, Lamb shifts to empha... May 12 greenshoeexpress 1
News Dems: Did EPA security staffer steer contract t... Mar '18 Used to be a demo... 2
News Secret Service: Man shoots himself outside Whit... Mar '18 YouDidntBuildThat 13
News Watauga bookkeeper pleads guilty to embezzlemen... Feb '18 John 1
News TPD Seeks Man Suspected Of Passing Counterfeit ... Feb '18 terrorheartland 1
News Called to a spot near the White House, DC fire ... Jan '18 Watson 1
News Murder suspect Ager Hasan extradited back to Ca... Jan '18 snow on the way f... 1