Funny money no laughing matter for local woman

There are 7 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Nov 5, 2010, titled Funny money no laughing matter for local woman. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

No one can afford to just watch $100 disappear. But that's what happened to certified pharmacy technician and full-time student Lisa Kim - and a number of other residents who've been passed cash that turns out to be little more than a slip of worthless paper.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DatelineEl Paso

El Paso, TX

#58 Nov 6, 2010
Johnnie Ramzy wrote:
<quoted text>
and no I'm not the one! I cook my own stash! and distribute it meself!
are you are pedophile Johnnie Ramzy aka Jenna Valentine
Deno Lawson

Las Cruces, NM

#60 Nov 6, 2010
Whats up Dog-Johnnie Ramzy. I thought you were dead?

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#62 Nov 7, 2010
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Rick O Shea and all others who are obviously not intelligent enough to see the writing on the wall...the fact that someone cashes a check at one bank, has the money in their posession for a period of time and then deposits said cash into another bank, does NOT make sense.
It makes very good sense especially with the economy the way it is. There is a DELAY between when a check is deposited and when it actually passes the bank--so the check could be good when you deposited it but not when it finally gets to its parent bank.

I had this happen with a payroll check once and even though it did not cause an overdraft I still got clipped with a fee. Anyone who has had this happen to them will understand.

“Whirled peas!”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#63 Nov 7, 2010
BGrubb wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes very good sense especially with the economy the way it is. There is a DELAY between when a check is deposited and when it actually passes the bank--so the check could be good when you deposited it but not when it finally gets to its parent bank.
I had this happen with a payroll check once and even though it did not cause an overdraft I still got clipped with a fee. Anyone who has had this happen to them will understand.
I think you didn't read all of my comments, specifically the one about Check 21 and the one about doubting a check would clear. An insurance check from an insurance compnay does not fall under that umbrella.

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#64 Nov 8, 2010
Mary Catherine wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you didn't read all of my comments, specifically the one about Check 21 and the one about doubting a check would clear. An insurance check from an insurance compnay does not fall under that umbrella.
Check 21 (United States federal law, Pub.L. 108-100) mainly deals with eliminating the recipient in getting an original paper check. Non E-check (which it is clear this was) still got through Automated Clearing House which takes 3 to 5 DAYS.

Also there are reports of insurance company check bouncing (its rare but it DOES happen) so again cashing the check at one bank and depositing it at another is perfectly understandable.
Lisa Kim

Las Cruces, NM

#65 Nov 13, 2010
The bank that gave me that counterfeit bill was First American National, and my former bank that failed to notify me earlier on this was Bank of America. I even did a counter deposit so the teller could have then told me that she was suspicious of that $100 bill, however she kept this to herself. All the assistant managers and manager there was handling this process incorrectly so I left that bank. They say that Bank of America does not call thier customers, they send out "notifications". Well that notification I got after 1 week and a half of the incident, how convenient! Right? Also the First American teller should be fired for not even processing the bill correctly, sad that a different bank had to catch the mistake!
Shyloh

Provo, UT

#66 Feb 18, 2011
Ouch! That is scary, thank you for sharing it though. Sometimes I wish we could all just be genies and just say,'your wish is your command'! And then have ten million dollars that you have to swim through just to get to work. Although then, we wouldn't really appreciate it would we? http://yourwisheisyourcommand.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Secret Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gyrocopter pilot spoke with Tampa Bay Times bef... Apr 28 CSA 11
News Elder Bush's home alarm-free for 13 months Apr 24 Sterkfontein Swar... 4
News First lady: Secret Service agents taught Malia ... Apr 14 Responsibility 25
News Congress probes Clinton email scandal using new... Apr 13 Righteous 31
News First Lady: Secret Service Agents Taught Malia ... Apr 10 fedupwiththemess 1
News First Lady Michelle Obama reveals that Secret S... Apr 9 fedupwiththemess 1
News Chaffetz asks for Secret Service leak probe Apr 4 novus ordo seclorum 4
More from around the web