Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

Mar 22, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Wall Street Journal

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Comments
50,481 - 50,500 of 66,017 Comments Last updated 23 hrs ago
Truth

Duluth, GA

#63260 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I have heard the 911 tape. Have you? You can hear Zimmerman stop moving while talking with the 911 operator and he suggests that they "don't need him to" follow Martin.

And even if he was following Martin, is that a crime? Does that give Martin the right to sucker punch and attack Zimmerman?

If Zimmerman is telling the truth and the jury agrees it is clear that this is self defense. Regardless of why he was following Martin. You can't attack someone just because he is following you.

Remember the only racial slurs that you have heard testimony aboutto date were Martin's, not Zimmerman's.
I noticed it but you can't convince the racists on here. Ignorant Al, Jessie, and the Ignorant in Chief made their mind up for them.
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#63261 Jun 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, my heart bleeds for you not to be able to use the words you want to use here on Topix- you are stuck spelling things phonetically and using racial slurs spelled backwards because Gannett is more interested in clicks than ethical business standards.
No one is taking your crap anymore. At least behind the scenes. They are loading up. Lock and load. It evens everything. You must learn civility. You are used to one way bullying that has gone to far. You will win most of the battles, but lose the war. I am up front and try to not write hostile things. But I was trained from you guys. You are nasty. There are people who say things not nice in America who get their hands dirty helping others. they are ostricized in our insane culture. there are people who say all of the right things and did nothing for anyone else. They are looked up to. Your hate is overpowering. Your accusations of hate to others is insulting. Although there are a few who chime on these boards constantly calling names that you may have a point. That is not the norm. And you think so. I am interested in keeping America a viable free nation even with our flaws. We are not doing that. And we will pay for our selfishness and other things. We are already. we are party way there as a police state. Our government does not trust us the citizens. And what is the point of backing it up if that is the case?
Truth

Duluth, GA

#63262 Jun 29, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Like i said, this clearly shows he was indeed following martin and thus instigated the confrontation. one cannot start a fight and then just because he is losing it use a gun and claim 'stand your ground'...

if he had not followed Martin, the kid would not have been shot that night.
Following is not legal and does not give you the right to attack them. Martin could have walked in his apartment or use his phone and call 911. Zimmerman used his phone to call. Not guilty.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#63263 Jun 29, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I said right?
I've known that right along so why would I care about your link?
Even if the dispatcher was a sworn officer...that phrase was still not a command.
And a policeman can't even make a command over the phone to an unknown person, in unknown circumstances at an unknown place.
Although he could put a bad mark on the person's permanent record LMAO.
Where do you clowns come from...Iowa? Cleveland?
Mea culpa, I read your reply too quickly.

We do agree on the 911 operator.
Opinionated

Raleigh, NC

#63264 Jun 29, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
We could all make better decisions in life if we had a crystal ball. But that doesn't mean people should be thrown in jail for it. There is no law against making bad decisions unless those decisions were illegal.
Trusting what this woman said about Travon is like trusting what Bill Clinton said about women in his past. She lied before she took the stand, while she took the stand, and likely after she leaves the stand. She has zero credibility. And to think, this is the prosecutions best witness. LOL!
Zimmerman had no intent of a confrontation. If he did, he would have never called the police. He could easily have said he was checking out the neighborhood when this thug attacked him and he shot him dead. Like any of us would have assumed in that situation, Zimmerman figured Martin was long gone.
We do not need a Crystal Ball to make better decisions. Even if Zimmerman intentions were good, the outcome was still tragic. Even if he didn't mean to kill him, He still killed him. Zimmerman supporters seem to miss the fact that Trayvon wasn't doing anything, at all. Just because he's black, had troubles at school, and possibly police and drugs. That he's some violent thug. When they no nothing about him.
I have know Great people, who have been like Trayvon, of most races. And Not so Great people, with squeaky clean records.
Who threw the first punch, is a mystery. As Zimmerman will say Trayvon, and Trayvon is Dead. Rachel's credibility is average, She did lie, But Zimmerman has too.
And on the phone, Zimmerman said " 'they' always get away"
Who did he mean by "they"
Could he have been referring too the seven previous break ins, ALL committed by young black males in the neighborhood. That right there in itself gives Zimmerman intent to advance Trayvon. Because saying "they always get away" we can imply that he wasn't happy about them ALWAYS getting away, and imply that he wanted to change that, and Catch Trayvon in the act. hence following him. The rest gets blurry.
"There is no law against making bad decisions unless those decisions were illegal"
And what about Car accidents. The Person hit someone and killed them. They weren't drunk, no drugs, no texting, just didn't pay attention. Sooo they should just walk free? Nooo they should pay for taking a life. But they didn't mean it, But what about Justice, what about that. There is a fine line between Justice and Mercy. The Balance must be kept. I a member of your family was killed in the hypothetical Car crash, would you want justice? or just say "nah it's ok, they were not paying attention, it was an accident. They should serve no time"
All I'm saying is Zimmerman should pay for the life he took.
Though Zimmerman supporters see Trayvon as the Big Bad Wolf, who was up to no good with weed, and got mad at Zimmerman for following him, and started wailing on him, bashing his head against the concrete and ultimately going to kill him, unless Zimmerman shot the Wild Black Beast and rid America of such a despicable menace to Society. And Zimmerman Hero of the neighborhood Triumphs over evil, barely escaping with his life.
Race in this case is a very controversial topic, The general American observer would think, the blacks will be on Trayvon's side, cause he's black. The whit's will be on Zimmerman's side because he's Not black. And that Blacks just flock to any cause other blacks are in..=/*sigh* such generalizations.
I am a Black Female and I am not like that, I stand for what is right . I am very diplomatic and equitable, I pride myself on that. I am not biased, racist, hypocritical, nationalistic, Sexist, prejudice, or a Hateful person in anyway. I admit I am
specifically jaded, with persons or situations that I have found unpleasant. But don't treat others any different for it.
My point is, this case will be seen differently depending on the subjective points of view of the individual.

Everett, WA

#63265 Jun 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed it but you can't convince the racists on here. Ignorant Al, Jessie, and the Ignorant in Chief made their mind up for them.
Sadly there are racists on both sides.

My problem with this whole trial is that it is very obvious that they overcharged Zimmerman. I am not familiar with Florida law but he very well may get away with the whole thing.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#63267 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly there are racists on both sides.
My problem with this whole trial is that it is very obvious that they overcharged Zimmerman. I am not familiar with Florida law but he very well may get away with the whole thing.
it is clear Zimmerman started the confrontation. seems he is responsible for its outcome then...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#63268 Jun 29, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>No history of confrontation? Asulting a police officer is not a history of confrontation? Zimmermen was already getting complaints about him stopping and confronting residents, while openly carrying a gun and walking a rotwhieler. He was dismissed from a security company because of his confrontational approach. If there is a word that discribes Zimmermen it is confrontational. He seems to seek out jobs that he can use to justify confronting people.
Start embracing the truth....your fantasy of the big. mean watch guy, cold bloodedly killing the poor little black boy, is rapidly evaporating, too many of the FACTS are forcing their way into the fantasy.........MAN THE F*CK UP.....

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#63269 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is your opinion, and a very biased one at that.
Gosh, I guess it's okay for you to post your UNINFORMED biased opinion.

Location hidden

#63271 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<There is no evidence of that at all.
His cousin says he began molesting her when she was six.

I take her word over his- he is a liar, you know?

Location hidden

#63272 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
If Martin was screaming for help why wasn't he running?
The 200 pound pedophile had the 160 pound boy in his grasp.

Ever try to run with a 200 pound butterball attached?

Martin wasn't chasing the pedophile, the pedophile was chasing Martin.

Martin didn't assault the pedophile next to the his truck, the pedophile assaulted Martin over a block away on the sidewalk in front of the boy's house.

Location hidden

#63273 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Again, instead of using your hatred and anger why not try to think calmly and rationally?
Try to see beyond your racist bigotry- instead of the pedophile killing a black boy, pretend it was a white boy instead.

For me: it would make absolutely no difference.

Everett, WA

#63274 Jun 29, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it is clear Zimmerman started the confrontation. seems he is responsible for its outcome then...
Following a suspicious person is not starting the confrontation. It is unclear that he followed Martin after the 911 call. If you listen you can hear him stop after told that "they don't need him to do that".

Everett, WA

#63275 Jun 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The 200 pound pedophile had the 160 pound boy in his grasp.
Ever try to run with a 200 pound butterball attached?
Martin wasn't chasing the pedophile, the pedophile was chasing Martin.
Martin didn't assault the pedophile next to the his truck, the pedophile assaulted Martin over a block away on the sidewalk in front of the boy's house.
Nope, no marks on Trayvon that would indicate he was grabbed. That sort of grasp would leave definite marks.

You are letting your irrational hate show. I have seen no valid claims of pedophilia, a mention that he messed around with a cousin, yes, but it does not say how old he was when they messed around with each other. If they were of the same general age it would be creepy cousin incest but not pedophilia.

Location hidden

#63277 Jun 29, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Start embracing the truth....your fantasy of the big. mean watch guy, cold bloodedly killing the poor little black boy, is rapidly evaporating,.
Actually, it is of a FAT SHORT RACIST TURD who flunked out of community college and could get a job as a cop so got a job under the table as a bouncer and got fired from that- a failure who decided the closest he could ever be to being a cop is annoying the loacl PD as a volunteer.

And he couldn't even do THAT right, violating the terms and conditions of the Neighborhood Watch that he pretended to be a "captain" of.

So we have a SHORT fat racist turd who see's a black boy cutting though "HIS" neighborhood and the short fat racist cop wannabe decides **HE** is going to show the local PD how *HE'D* handle it.

And prove all the people who saw him as the unemployed LOSER he was and is wrong.

Everett, WA

#63278 Jun 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to see beyond your racist bigotry- instead of the pedophile killing a black boy, pretend it was a white boy instead.
For me: it would make absolutely no difference.
I have no racist bigotry. I have not made false charges against either side. You keep mentioning his supposed pedophilia, convicting him without a trial. Try to argue with the testimony. Zimmerman has not even his case and all testimony is agreeing with his statement so far.

Location hidden

#63279 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, no marks on Trayvon that would indicate he was grabbed.
The fact that they were on the ground over a block away from the pedophile's truck indicate he grabbed the boy.

The pedophile certainly did not identify himself or WE ALL WOULD HAVE HEARD IT ON THE TAPE.

Location hidden

#63280 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Following a suspicious person is not starting the confrontation.
Standing in front of a person on a sidewalk between him and his house is starting a confrontation.

Putting your hands out and grabbing them is an assault.

Location hidden

#63281 Jun 29, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
If you listen you can hear him stop after told that "they don't need him to do that".
If he stopped, he would have been twenty feet from the front of his car.

And he continued to chase after Martin after he was told (and he agreed he would not) to wait for the cops en route.

Location hidden

#63282 Jun 29, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you better get down to court and tell the prosecution you have this evidence that Zimmerman started the confrontation.
Just after you prove that the pedophile only followed Martin for no more than ten seconds.

I guess you keep forgetting you told us that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rand Paul: If 'Hillary Clinton worked for Bill ... 7 min Gary 1
A year later: Immigrants fear reform will never... 8 min the Light 76
Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 9 min Goodbye KS 198
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Obama Zombies 151,183
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 26 min deutscher Nationa... 115,209
Obama cautions against using force to solve crises 31 min sandy1 12
Paul hits Clinton's 'shoot first' Syria policy 48 min Le Jimbo 17
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Republican People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••