Guns in bars | One year later: - Carr...

Guns in bars | One year later: - Carry' fear silenced

There are 23 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 30, 2012, titled Guns in bars | One year later: - Carry' fear silenced. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Franklin County leads the state in new concealed-carry permits with 1,442; gun-rights supporters say the statewide number is 301,000 and rising.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“"Stand and Fight"”

Since: Sep 10

United States

#1 Sep 30, 2012
Just like the paranoid anti-gunners thought about shall issue CC, they were proven wrong.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2 Sep 30, 2012
I'm sure at some point there will be an incident, but all in all, places that serve alcohol will not be victim zones.

I have a bar up the street from me. I used to walk there and back because I didn't want to risk a DUI even though it's right down the street. Walking there wasn't too bad because most times, it was still light outside. But walking back home gave me the creeps.

Now if I want to go to the bar, I'm less worried because the criminals know that I am not restricted from carrying my firearm into or out of the bar. They have no idea whether I'm drinking or not unless they are in the bar too. In the long run, it's just safer for everybody involved.

The law I would like to see in Ohio is being allowed to use deadly force to protect your property. Criminals might think twice if it's worth their life for stealing a bicycle or lawnmower out of your garage.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Sep 30, 2012
yeah baby wrote:
Toby Hoover again? I wonder if the reporter complimented Toby on her sensible shoes and had a gift for her of mouthwash for that famously odd but musky Hillary/Huma/Donna Shalala breath? Ifyaknowwhat I mean
Maybe she needs Carpet Fresh!
VADoc

Warrenville, SC

#6 Oct 1, 2012
The sad part is it will only take one incident of a CCW person shooting some idiot in or outside of a bar (even if it is warranted as self-defense) for the left to cry foul over.

That's how it works. The left works by minority rule and minority probability. Who cares if concealed carry would protect thousand of law abiding citizens a year if it means a few idiots might break the law. Same with the death penalty.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7 Oct 1, 2012
spoons make people fat

pencils mis-spell words

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#8 Oct 1, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
spoons make people fat
pencils mis-spell words
Big Gulps were making New Yorkers fat, lmao.
LMAO

Bedford, OH

#9 Oct 1, 2012
JasonStorm wrote:
Just like the paranoid anti-gunners thought about shall issue CC, they were proven wrong.
Who's paranoid? If you knew the meaning of paranoid, you'd know it's the ones who think they need to carry a weapon who are the paranoid ones.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#10 Oct 1, 2012
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text> Who's paranoid? If you knew the meaning of paranoid, you'd know it's the ones who think they need to carry a weapon who are the paranoid ones.
I'm a gun owner but try to keep myself away from areas or situations where it might be needed. Unfortunately, not all of us are able to do this. With the increasingly large number of thugs running wild these days,things can change in an instant. You're living in a dream world if you believe you will never be threatened.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 1, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
spoons make people fat
pencils mis-spell words
Smoking is legal too. I want to smoke in a bar and so do you.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#12 Oct 1, 2012
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Smoking is legal too. I want to smoke in a bar and so do you.
I'm gonna burn one right now :)-~
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 1, 2012
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text> Who's paranoid? If you knew the meaning of paranoid, you'd know it's the ones who think they need to carry a weapon who are the paranoid ones.
that is called being prepared.

paranoid is the looney left thinking about 70,000,000 USA gun owners who refuse to let the left ruin this country.

paranoid is the left who continually tell us daily that unmoral behavior is the normal; and we need to accept it.

paranoid is the left reading how this country was formed; and how close we are to the second revolutionary war.

paranoid is the left knowing they lose the war.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#14 Oct 1, 2012
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text> Who's paranoid? If you knew the meaning of paranoid, you'd know it's the ones who think they need to carry a weapon who are the paranoid ones.
Let's test your "opinion".

Do you have smoke detectors in your house, and if so, do you keep them working by changing the batteries when they go dead?

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? Home owner's insurance? Flood insurance?

Do you have life insurance? How about car insurance?

If you answered yes to any of these.....Why? Are you paranoid that you may have a fire, a car accident, or that you may die? ARE YOU PARANOID???
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#17 Oct 1, 2012
VADoc wrote:
The sad part is it will only take one incident of a CCW person shooting some idiot in or outside of a bar (even if it is warranted as self-defense) for the left to cry foul over.
That's how it works. The left works by minority rule and minority probability. Who cares if concealed carry would protect thousand of law abiding citizens a year if it means a few idiots might break the law. Same with the death penalty.
It's been a long time coming, but self protection is a huge issue--especially in the state of Ohio. Politicians know where their bread is buttered. Remember that it was leftist Strickland who started the ball rolling with our first CCW law, the Castle Doctrine, and then a revision of the CCW law that included the Castle Doctrine to apply to a person in their vehicle.

We CCW holders are nearly 300,000 strong now in Ohio, and in some places, there are still waiting lists to get into a class. The law is not that old yet, but there are more and more people wanting to protect themselves and their families.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#18 Oct 1, 2012
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text> Who's paranoid? If you knew the meaning of paranoid, you'd know it's the ones who think they need to carry a weapon who are the paranoid ones.
No...... paranoid is thinking if you cut your lawn on a hot and humid day, you are partly responsible for climate change. That's paranoid.

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#19 Oct 1, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been a long time coming, but self protection is a huge issue--especially in the state of Ohio. Politicians know where their bread is buttered. Remember that it was leftist Strickland who started the ball rolling with our first CCW law, the Castle Doctrine, and then a revision of the CCW law that included the Castle Doctrine to apply to a person in their vehicle.
We CCW holders are nearly 300,000 strong now in Ohio, and in some places, there are still waiting lists to get into a class. The law is not that old yet, but there are more and more people wanting to protect themselves and their families.
It does suck that a high profile idiot like Jim Stillwagon made CCW permit holders look bad yesterday.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#21 Oct 1, 2012
Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>It does suck that a high profile idiot like Jim Stillwagon made CCW permit holders look bad yesterday.
It's like any large group of people, you will always find a few bad apples be it the police, firemen, Catholic priests, teachers and yes, CCW holders.

Here in Cleveland, the cops stopped some guy who was drinking. He reached into his waistband and the cops shot him. He too had a CCW. But even if he didn't, on the east side of Cleveland, half of the people walk around with guns licensed or not.

Anybody who expected this program to go flawlessly was kidding themselves. But like any new law, you have to decide if the positives outweigh the negatives or the negatives outweigh the positives. The larger the group of CCW holders, the more bad incidents you will have because some goofball fell through the cracks.

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#23 Oct 1, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like any large group of people, you will always find a few bad apples be it the police, firemen, Catholic priests, teachers and yes, CCW holders.
Here in Cleveland, the cops stopped some guy who was drinking. He reached into his waistband and the cops shot him. He too had a CCW. But even if he didn't, on the east side of Cleveland, half of the people walk around with guns licensed or not.
Anybody who expected this program to go flawlessly was kidding themselves. But like any new law, you have to decide if the positives outweigh the negatives or the negatives outweigh the positives. The larger the group of CCW holders, the more bad incidents you will have because some goofball fell through the cracks.
I agree, but my main point was Stillwagon's notoriety. This story is national news with HuffPo, Yahoo, SI, and ESPN covering it.
Tim

Seville, OH

#24 Oct 1, 2012
Plain Dealer idiots still will ignore it on orders from Sherrod KGBrown and Schultz.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#25 Oct 1, 2012
Spookstillheref u trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
The old liberal line used for some costly Safety device is "If it saves just one life it is worth it" never will be applied to the carrying of firearms
There are stories all the time of citizens saving themselves or another because they had their firearm with them. It's just that you really have to dig around to find those stories.

I was debating somebody on a forum when the first CCW law was considered. I explained that my mother lives alone, doesn't drive, and likes to walk to the store or church. The neighborhood is changing and I often fear for her during her walks, but she's a stubborn old woman who insists on doing what makes her happy, so for that reason alone, I wanted the CCW law to pass.

He replied by asking if the law passed, would my elderly mother get a CCW permit and carry a gun? To that I answered: no she wouldn't, but the criminals don't know that.

Even if nobody is armed in Ohio, the very thought that somebody could be armed puts attackers on edge. Nothing helps deter crime like uncertainty. As for the liberals who often state that nobody except police should have a gun, to them I ask that they get a very large sign made that says "This house contains no firearms!" and place it on their front porch. So far, nobody has taken me up on my offer.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#26 Oct 1, 2012
Speaking of the devil. Just found this tonight:

Akron would-be robbers take off when victim, CCW permit holder, pulls gun on them

Posted: 10/01/2012
Last Updated: 4 hours and 41 minutes ago
By: Tina Kaufmann, newsnet5.com

AKRON, Ohio - Akron police said two masked would-be robbers took off when they pulled a gun on a 23-year-old victim who in turn pointed one at them.

Around 11:30 Saturday night, a 23-year-old told police he parked his car in a lot of a Highland Square business, where he noticed a gold car next to his with two men inside.

The victim said the men then pulled masks over their faces and approached his vehicle. Reportedly, one suspect opened the passenger side door of the victim's car and pointed a gun at him.

The victim, a CCW permit holder, then pulled out his gun, pointing it at the suspect. The duo ran back to their car and took off.

Police said nothing was stolen during the robbery and detectives are investigating the incident.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/a...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 25 min NotSoDivineMsM 243,417
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 34 min Rose_NoHo 18,164
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Blitzking 209,431
News Why Kasich's atheist criticisms seem out of touch 8 hr Reason Personified 29
News Yes, half of Trump supporters are racist 9 hr deplorable spud 750
News Despite Dirty GOP Tricks, Libertarian Party of ... 9 hr Charm3950 4
News Senate Republicans move ahead with spending bil... 9 hr Flowerz1129 6
More from around the web