Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201365 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37564 Aug 12, 2012
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not denying any truths. There are none in this case to deny. The tens of thousands, or even tens of millions, of little bits of evidence is still subject to INTERPRETATION. The evidence does not support anyone in this case.
More primitive being? Primitive, my friend, is relative. I want to know the truth, too. But no one has it yet when to comes to the origin of life. The universe is a very mysterious place, and the more we learn, the more mysterious, and LARGER, it gets.
Except when one method of "interpreting" the evidence actually works and makes successful predictions, it's a good indication that it could well be correct.

Oh, and just in case? We still don't give a damm about your frakking UFO aliens.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37565 Aug 12, 2012
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
And when you have proof of that, let us all know about your profound findings.
Done before you got here.

Ages ago.

And I just presented it for you again.

You won't deal either.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37566 Aug 12, 2012
just_my_opinion wrote:
@ Subduction Zone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atavism
Maybe it's been a long day, but i don't get your reply. What does atavism have to do with monkeys? I assure you I don't have a tail.
Nope, there ain't a part on me where they took the tail off!!!

:-D
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37567 Aug 12, 2012
just_my_opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
The ape and monkey are the same species.
No.

Just no.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37568 Aug 12, 2012
RU CRS wrote:
We have imperfections here on Earth because of mankinds stupidity and disobedience to our Creator in the first place. Even death was brought about because of man and his willful stupid disregard for the Creator. The cursed imperfect things on this Earth didn't have to be here if our forefathers had listened and obeyed.
We still don't care Mikey.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#37569 Aug 12, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Can? I don't think your religion say, "can"!
Ofcourse it says so.
Faith means can, that means, one is hoping for what he/she has not seen(Heb.11 vs 1)...
Can means yes it will definitely happen and that is faith, which is biblical...

Location hidden

#37570 Aug 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
They are much further along than that. They have gotten most of the steps in separate experiments, they have not put them all together in one experiment yet. Perhaps in five years you will be singing a different song. How the life they created in the lab does not show that it could arise naturally in nature. Even though they will mimic early Earth environments when they do so. Creatards are masters at moving the goal posts. You already lost the evolution debate which is why you moved the goal posts to abiogenesis in the first place.
The universe as a whole, is in diversity, do you believe in diversity???
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37571 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution demands that any modification the appears in an organism over time benefit that organism's survival and reproduction.
False. Mutations can be detrimental, beneficial, or neutral (which is what they are most of the time). Neutral mutations can be acted upon by numerous factors later on and become detrimental or beneficial.
HTS wrote:
If a bird evolved the ability to fly, it was to help the bird survive, so it reproduced. Darwin another evolutionists have relied on this assumption to justify the belief that every complexity in nature evolved through natural selection. If a plant evolves an edible root, it hinders the plant's chances for survival.
Which helps other competing plants.

Also plants can be eaten which helps aid with the species survival. For example, fruit, meaning their seeds are widely dispersed.
HTS wrote:
An edible root enhances the survival of other species (animals). Therefore, one would expect that if plants were created by evolution all plant roots would be. In edible. Medicinal plants produce very complex chemical substances that benefit humans alone. What atheistic force in nature would be driving hundreds of plants to produce beneficial drugs for man, when they don't enhance the plant's survival?
Ah, argument from ID! Sorry, but I thought we'd already established that it was pseudo-science. Some things that don't matter:

1 - Atheism

2 - Theism

3 - Your incredulity

4 - ID/Creationism

So well done for informing us that you're clueless as to how natural selection works. Tell me again HT, why is it that you think that the best place to critique scientific theories is to learn nothing about it at all?

Must have asked you this ten times a couple of months ago, you won't give a good answer now.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37572 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What I meant by "intelligent design" in that context was that human intelligence (and to a lesser degree animal intelligrnce) is the only force capable of creating complexity.
Except I gave you examples otherwise.
HTS wrote:
Therefore, it is logical to conclude that some sort of intelligence created life, which is the greatest complexity in the universe.
Is it really? How is "complexity" measured? Who or what is this "designer" of yours? Where is it? What mechanisms does it use? What evidence do you have other than your attempt at "logic"? How complex is this designer? Who or what designed the designer?

Are you saying you want to rule IDCreationism back into play now? If so then what exactly IS the "scientific theory" of IDCreationism and what evidence do you have?

Location hidden

#37573 Aug 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
What drives me nuts is how crazy creatards go over the idea of life arising from an existing mix of chemicals. They don't believe it is possible for life to develop from simple, okay well not toooo simple, chemical reactions, but they have no problem believing that a magic creature gathered up a bit of mud and magicked it into life. Which story is harder to believe? And more important, which story has evidence that shows at least a possibility that they are right?
Your problem is nothing but ignorance...
God exist and he created the universe and all the elements that makes up the ecosystem. The evidence is visible and not spiritual.
Period...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37574 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
There is an entire field of "evolutionary psychology" that studies, for example, animal behaviors and draws conclusions about humans based on the evolutionary assumption that all animals are genetically relatd and that man's behavior is determined solely by genetics.
Fantastic! You've just demonstrated that you don't know a thing about evolutionary psychology either. While it may be possible that genetic factors may affect brain development to the point of affecting psychological behaviours, another thing you haven't grasped is abstract communication, learned behaviours etc. Hence while behaviour can evolve, it is not solely determined by genetics.

Reality is FAR more complicated than the simplistic thing you would like it to be.
HTS wrote:
The modern theory of evolution contends that everything in nature is explained solely materialistically... That no spiritual dimension. Therefore, man has no free will, because everything he does is the result of genetics and environment.
Incorrect. The theory makes no such claims about free will, nor spirituality.
HTS wrote:
William B. Provine, Ph.D, a renowned historian of science and professor at Cornell University, summarized the effects of evolution on man's thinking:
"Naturalistic evolution has clear consequences that Charles Darwin understood perfectly. 1) No gods worth having exist; 2) no life after death exists; 3) no ultimate foundation for ethics exists; 4) no ultimate meaning in life exists; and 5) human free will is nonexistent."
(Provine W.B., "Evolution: Free will and punishment and meaning in life." Abstract of Prof. William B. Provine's 1998 "Darwin Day address, "Darwin Day" website, University of Tennessee Knoxville TN, 1998
I'd be happy to provide you with more information if you're interested.
No need. Evolution does not rest solely on the opinions of Provine, who happens to be a hard-line determinist. His philosophical opinions are irrelevant to the validity of evolution.

Of course none of this you've presented here actually addresses evolution's validity, it's just another attempt at you portraying evolution as "atheistic". Funny how you complain that we've been using philosophy to justify evolution and yet here you are making all the philosophical arguments.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37575 Aug 12, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming a lot in this statement i.e. god is physical, that it is only atheists who believe god is magical, he is following physical laws.
I can't even conceive of some kind of physical law that would allow a physical entity, presumably floating in empty space, to create a whole universe with literally Trillions of stars and billions of galaxies...ex nihilo.
I can't conceive of that either... And I don't believe God created everything out of nothing...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37576 Aug 12, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>He is not dicing any thing but explaning the un-explanables. Evolution from non-human to human, is a fiasco...
I don't care what you think about it, you still owe me 500 quid.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37577 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Chemistry and physics don't contend that god does not exist. The theory of evolution clearly states that god did not create life.
False. Since this has been pointed out to you numerous times over the only rational conclusion can be is that you're just another dishonest liar for Jesus.

Oh by the way, you claimed geology was "atheistic" because you had zero evidence of a global flood. If that's not chemistry and physics, then what is?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#37578 Aug 12, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>The universe as a whole, is in diversity, do you believe in diversity???
Would you like to try one more time. This time in English please.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37579 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is that you assume that God is not physical or does to conform to natural laws. No one is suggesting that god is magic. That is an atheistic myth. God acts through laws that man does not understand. That is no different than any theory of abiogenesis.
Except that abiogenesis (a scientific hypothesis, not a theory) works through chemistry. It's not that we don't understand it. It's just that there's a bazillion different chemical combinations from 4 billion years ago and we have to try to figure out the right one. That's not magic.

"God" on the other hand is irrelevant to science. Not only have you not presented scientific evidence, it doesn't actually EXPLAIN anything.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#37580 Aug 12, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is nothing but ignorance...
God exist and he created the universe and all the elements that makes up the ecosystem. The evidence is visible and not spiritual.
Period...
And this evidence is....?

As the saying goes, put up or shut up, Chuckles.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37581 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It clearly states that NATURALISM ALONE is the creator of life.
Then the obvious contention here is that God is SUPER-natural.

Which IS magic.

Duh.

By the way, ALL OF SCIENCE deals with nothing EXCEPT natural phenomena.

Houston, you have a problem.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37582 Aug 12, 2012
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Was there ever a time when there was no life on Earth?
What, you're not actually thinking Bo will ever address anything other than with "Ha ha ha" do you?(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#37583 Aug 12, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do all of you evolutionists possess the same habit of scurring back to the theory of gravity like a child clinging to the leg of it's mother and whining,... if you don't believe me about evolution then you don't believe in gravity! Then with the audacity of a burgler you claim that the origin of life and evolution aren't connected!,of course they are! it's is the starting point of your evolution religion.The origin of life is the linch pin of the theory of evolution. Poll your fellow evo gooists and see how many think life started on it's own, and see how many believe life had a creator.
Then we accept your admission that you don't believe in the theory of gravity.

By the way, we just got to Mars a couple of days ago. Isn't that wonderful?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Limbertwig 233,160
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 5 min Trying to be hopeful 10,426
News Trump bounces into the lead 26 min spud 140
News The Latest: First lady calls out Trump, - hatefula 29 min spud 43
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr Frankie Rizzo 14,765
News Howard Dean: Trump a "crazy person" and "serial... 5 hr Trying to be hopeful 29
News "Lock Her Up!": RNC Crowd, Speakers Blasts Hill... 5 hr Cordwainer Trout 23
More from around the web