Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216817 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#33530 Jul 12, 2012
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient Astronaut theory has anwsers for thinks Science can't even explain.
Like Sacsayhuaman where 200 ton rocks were cut with modern like precision & put into placeperfectly by people of the Bronze age who didn't even invent the wheel yet at elevation of almost 11,000 feet where people get light headed & dizzy from lack of oxygen.
In which it is above the tree line.
The Icans in this area despite isolation spoke of similar godly events to that of Judeo Christians in the Middle East.
Incans spoke of gods who walked on water & gods that created a giant flood to kill off beings that displeased them just like Noah's ark & Jesus walking on water in the Middle East!
Okay. your second post alluding to aliens.

Obviously, you cannot comprehend the disturbingly vast distances of the universe.

In order for aliens to do such a thing, they either need to a) detected this planet long, long ago or violate the laws of physics that we know now.

Thinking aliens seeded this planet or are currently visiting us ventures into the realm of magic.

Or are you relying on Clarke's Third Law of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" to bolster your argument?

If so, please explain how your stance is any different than theists.

Perhaps the idea that we are completely alone troubles you? And if our species is to survive we need to do it ourselves.

Perhaps the dinosaurs were the first crack at it. After a 100 million years or so, they failed and are reduced to sharks, coelacanths, and birds all too happy to feed on the seed we offer.

After all, what's a few billion orbits of this planet to our sun to a god? That may just be the Demiurge's celestial union mandated coffee break from the prayer support center...

Nehwon

#33531 Jul 12, 2012
wolverine wrote:
GENEVA — Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.
But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.
An ad hominem fallacy is discounting an argument based on who's presenting it.

The ad hominem fallacy should include a disclaimer that this fallacy does not apply for any presenter who has demonstrated themselves ignorant of the basic ideas of which they are arguing against.

wolverine - until you can demonstrate to us topix readers that you even have a junior high school understanding of science, don't even bother trying to present an argument. Morton's Demon controls your thoughts.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#33532 Jul 12, 2012
Rogue Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I just find it perplexing that most of those of faith don't mention Lilith. They immediately go to Eve as the first woman.
She is considered more mythical than true (Sumer 3000 BC) and she wasn't in the canonized scripture.

Nehwon

#33533 Jul 12, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one thing has happened in the last 1,000 years that is a direct result of Lucifer, and then prove it was a direct result of Lucifer.
And who created Lucifer?

When God is called to testify, will S/He only answer "I don't recall?" or play the "It's all part of the Divine Plan..." defense?

See the connection there? An authority figure is not accountable for their actions. But us commoners are required to answer and be punished.

The golden rule applies - He who has the gold makes the rules. God makes the gold. Divine Right of Kings still applies for many people now.

Nehwon

#33534 Jul 12, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Your Own Search.....You Dont Believe In Lucifer, But He Believes In You.
It Is Not Up To Me To Educate You.
Now, Heres Some Wonderful Audio.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qNWCwB2XKjUXX
Who created Lucifer?

Nehwon

#33535 Jul 12, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Its Pointless To Attempt A Debate With You Based On Your Indoctrination And Complete Contempt For Anything Related To God.
Read Your BIble.
Ahh, yes. pull out the indoctrination card... After all, atheists were gathered together and, upon pain of punishment, were forced to adopt beliefs taught to them.

It sounds like you haven't heard the Good News. The prophet Jesus started but was killed by unbelievers. God, in Her Mercy, gave us a second chance and sent the last prophet, Mohammed, to further His/Her Righteous cause.

So why do you think Judaism version 2.0 (Christianity) is better then Judaism version 3.0 (Islam)?

Please don't mistake this as your preferred operating system of Windows95 hooked up to AOL to post on Topix. Old is good.

And this was clearly prophecized in the Bible in... ummm, errr, ahhh. my google-fu is failing. help me here which prophecy of the Bible predicted the Internet and Google's translate to render the Tower of Babel's punishment neutered.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#33536 Jul 13, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Who created Lucifer?
God Created Lucifer, And With Free Will, That Eventually Made Him Into The First LIberal, With Thoughts Of BEing Smarter Then God....Reminds Me Of You.

You Know What ? I Spent Six Years In Liberal Indoctrinated College.
I Also Took Two Very Hard Physics Classes....Not Hard Because Of The Material....Hard Because Its All Theory....Like Newton, Einstien Will Be Proven To Be Close But Just Not Quite Right.

I Dont Presume To Be An Indoctrinated Science Geek....Because I Disagree With The Methods.....You Cannot Eliminate The Possibility Of God....Even The Brightest Minds On The Planet Will Tell You That...But You Seem To Think You And Scientific Method Are The Authorities On A Subject You Know Nothing About.

Really, You Dont Impress Anybody, And I Dont Care If One Of You Believes Me. My Purpose Is Not To Convert The Corrupted, But To Bear Witness And Stand For My Beliefs.

When Will You Understand That God Is Outside Of Your Methods For Detection ?

You Set Your Arguement For Debate In Science, You Demand Proof, While Science Doest Deal In Proof.

Seems Illogical, Spoc

Nehwon

#33537 Jul 13, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
God Created Lucifer, And With Free Will, That Eventually Made Him Into The First LIberal, With Thoughts Of BEing Smarter Then God....Reminds Me Of You.
You Know What ? I Spent Six Years In Liberal Indoctrinated College.
I Also Took Two Very Hard Physics Classes....Not Hard Because Of The Material....Hard Because Its All Theory....Like Newton, Einstien Will Be Proven To Be Close But Just Not Quite Right.
I Dont Presume To Be An Indoctrinated Science Geek....Because I Disagree With The Methods.....You Cannot Eliminate The Possibility Of God....Even The Brightest Minds On The Planet Will Tell You That...But You Seem To Think You And Scientific Method Are The Authorities On A Subject You Know Nothing About.
Really, You Dont Impress Anybody, And I Dont Care If One Of You Believes Me. My Purpose Is Not To Convert The Corrupted, But To Bear Witness And Stand For My Beliefs.
When Will You Understand That God Is Outside Of Your Methods For Detection ?
You Set Your Arguement For Debate In Science, You Demand Proof, While Science Doest Deal In Proof.
Seems Illogical, Spoc
Finally.

A theist who admits that God created Lucifer.

Now let's see if you take the next logical step - Lucifer does evil. God knows this and yet created him anyway. But God is only good and loves you. Lucifer is just one way of showing his love. forcibly.

But it's all good. It prepares you for prison. And God grins on you. Like Sandusky grinned on his Second Mile children.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#33538 Jul 13, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
this is also explained in my post #33425
So you did.:-)

It really does not seem to matter how often its explained to creationists. They never seem to get what they don't want to get. "Entropy" as understood in the popular mind attaches itself so beautifully to their notion of "the Fall" that they will simply smudge the obvious differences.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#33539 Jul 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
...So you wait a few billion years and then for no real reason life starts in the pool of water.
Your story breaks down right there.

Complex chemical reactions are a "real reason".

But as usual, you need to remember that no criticism of abiogenesis is a criticism of evolution. Evolution does not need abiogenesis, and would work unchanged even if God zapped the first microbe into existence.

This is just another logical smudge in the creationist mind, where you use something we do not know all about - abiogenesis - to try to criticise something we do know a helluva lot about - evolution.

Its doesn't work.

Nehwon

#33540 Jul 13, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
God Created Lucifer....
And just for the record, I didn't bother reading after this. Probably just a bunch of apologetics, non-sequiturs, strawmen, etc type typing.

If anyone else out there has some time to kill, perhaps they could summarize wolverine's post in a sentence or two.

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#33541 Jul 13, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Besides that.. What have the Romans ever done for us?
And you better not say "Romanes eunt domus" is not the proper way to say "Romans, go home!"
ROMANI ITE DOMUM!

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#33542 Jul 13, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
And just for the record, I didn't bother reading after this. Probably just a bunch of apologetics, non-sequiturs, strawmen, etc type typing.
If anyone else out there has some time to kill, perhaps they could summarize wolverine's post in a sentence or two.
I didn't read it either but I can summarise it with one phrase:

Total BS

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#33543 Jul 13, 2012
I think that's an age old debate. Evolution never outwit creation. The latter always win.

“First it steals your mind..”

..and then it steals your soul

#33544 Jul 13, 2012
orlando_12 wrote:
I think that's an age old debate. Evolution never outwit creation. The latter always win.
That is no debate.

Evolution is backed by facts, observation and common use in industry.

Creationism is a collection of fables and myths.

“First it steals your mind..”

..and then it steals your soul

#33547 Jul 13, 2012
Alias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh thank God. The bartender wouldn't attend to my simple request. So I'll just ... ah ummm.
Alias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so pleased to finally hear these words fables and myths. All these years punishing myself for thinking about sin. Always wanting what I can't have according to them! Now I'm just going to go back into that wonderful bliss of ignorance and just go for it!
It's not ignorance. It just not believing in the fairy tale. I have no more respect for the Christian God than I have for Zeus or Thor
Alias - Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't wait to figure out how to judge these. This was indeed informative and just what I needed. Thanks Man!
Pleasure. Go have fun.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#33549 Jul 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Even though human chromosome 2 looks like it arose through a fusion event, it seems unlikely that its genesis resulted from undirected natural processes. The combining of two chromosomes to make human chromosome 2 would have required a succession of several highly improbable events.
It is not unusual for chromosomes to fuse. When chromosomes break,“sticky ends” result. These sticky ends will readily combine with other chromosomes that have also broken apart. But they will almost never fuse with intact chromosomes due to the presence of telomeres. In addition to providing stability, telomeres are designed to prevent chromosomes from undergoing fusion with chromosome fragments.
For human chromosome 2 to arise, it would have required either telomere-telomere fusion (a virtual impossibility), or fusion of an intact chromosome at its telomere with a sticky end generated when another chromosome fractured near its telomere. This type of fusion can happen, but it is a rare occurrence.
The event would have had to occur in one of the gametes (sperm and egg cells), changing the number of chromosomes. When the chromosome number in the sperm doesn’t match that of the egg , fertilization almost always results in either:(1) a nonviable zygote/embryo; (2) a viable offspring that suffers from a diseased state; or (3) a viable but infertile offspring. Again, it is possible, but extremely rare for the resulting offspring to be viable and fertile.
Finally, once the fusion took place between chimp chromosomes 2A and 2B, there would have had to have been what evolutionary biologists call a selective sweep. This event occurs when a mutation imparts such a large advantage that it rapidly sweeps through the population, becoming fixed, and reducing the genetic variability of the group.
To summarize, in order for human chromosome 2 to arise from the fusion of two chromosomes, a succession of several highly improbable events would have had to have taken place. Thus, the evolutionary account of the history of human beings seems untenable."
But that IS what happened.

Remember, the centralized telomere/telomere binding point was predicted and THEN found. Hence, common ancestry.

Bummer for you.

Of course it's okay for you to admit you don't even understand what we, or your creationist sources are saying. We already know that.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#33550 Jul 13, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally.
A theist who admits that God created Lucifer.
He created everything.
Now let's see if you take the next logical step - Lucifer does evil.
Right. Isaiah 14.''How you have fallen from Heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn!'' v.12
God knows this and yet created him anyway.
Yeah?
But God is only good and loves you.
He love Esau less. Esau was rejected from birth. Romans 9:11-13.
Lucifer is just one way of showing his love. forcibly.
Love? No, would not make that conclusion. His motives are different.
But it's all good. It prepares you for prison. And God grins on you. Like Sandusky grinned on his Second Mile children.
It is better for man to freely choose the good than it is for man to be enabled to unfreely do good. Grade School Theology.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#33551 Jul 13, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Radiometric Dating
Radiometric dating is generally done on bones or tissue which has not fossilized, and is supposedly the most scientific and most accurate dating technique.
However, even radiometric dating is a subject of controversy. The truth is that flaws in radiometric dating are intentionally ignored in order for the specimen to yield dates which are very old.
Totally wrong.

Evolution doesn't rely on carbon dating since it doesn't date things millions of years old. Also the evidence for the Earth being old was already known BEFORE Darwin came up with evolution.

So in other words you are claiming the mean old evo's went back in time to lay the groundwork of the evolutionist conspiracy before the theory of evolution was developed.

Cuckoo...
Anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#33552 Jul 13, 2012
Ah! The bitter irony that the Age of Scientific Method is too young to be able to address Evolution on a proper scale, let alone the knowledge that individual humans are even younger.

This is why you get pulled into ego traps. This is why you miss the word games that are the essence of religion. The two concepts aren't measurable by the other's standards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 3 min Sorry Hill 2,244
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 253,418
News Pence after Carrier deal: Trump is 'a champion ... 44 min natureboy 28
News The Racist Smear Against Jeff Sessions 1 hr TRUMP WINNERS 65
News Forget populism - Trump's picking orthodox Repu... 1 hr Babydoll 6
News Trump's staff picks disappoint, alarm minority ... 2 hr Flordia Gator 261
News House prohibits $15-an-hour minimum wage 3 hr Truth Sayer 1 3
More from around the web