Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221400 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#27504 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
" I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the prescence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science"
Wernher Von Braun
And I'm sure you can do this all day. Just as I could find quotes from scientists which were (or appeared to be) anti-theistic in nature.

But the thing you're not grasping here bo, is that scientists theological/philosophical opinions are irrelevant to science, and any scientific claims have to be backed up. Appeal to authority on its own is just a logical fallacy, and only evidence that you have nothing in the way of any actual evidence or argument.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#27505 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"While I would fight for a persons right to have faith in science fiction, we must resist evolutionists who attempt to brainwash people into thinking that evolution is science.Evolution requires constant violations of the second law of thermodynamics in order to be plausible.If your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics , I can give you no hope, there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation"
Sir Arthur Eddington
mathematician and physicist
And before you spout the closed system bullsh#t, the second law has never ever been shown not to be enforce. he knows more than you.He however lacks your faith. Which is all you can spew.
A mathematician and physicist's opinion on the theory of evolution is like a plumber's opinion on computer hardware.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#27506 May 22, 2012
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

Any time ya like, bo. And while you're at it you left Tangled Bank without a response over a month back.
LowellGuy

United States

#27508 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"While I would fight for a persons right to have faith in science fiction, we must resist evolutionists who attempt to brainwash people into thinking that evolution is science.Evolution requires constant violations of the second law of thermodynamics in order to be plausible.If your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics , I can give you no hope, there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation"
Sir Arthur Eddington
mathematician and physicist
And before you spout the closed system bullsh#t, the second law has never ever been shown not to be enforce. he knows more than you.He however lacks your faith. Which is all you can spew.
Appeal to authority. He is not an expert in evolution. Moreover, embryos violate the SLoT according to that guy's logic.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#27509 May 22, 2012

Back when Thunerf00t was not a drama queen. I miss the old Tf00t.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#27510 May 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A mathematician and physicist's opinion on the theory of evolution is like a plumber's opinion on computer hardware.
Would that include your opinion as well? yep
LowellGuy

United States

#27511 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
" I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the prescence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science"
Wernher Von Braun
Argument from incredulity.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#27512 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
Wernher Von Braun
Here's one to counter the Nazi contribution.

"Creationist critics often charge that evolution cannot be tested, and therefore cannot be viewed as a properly scientific subject at all. This claim is rhetorical nonsense."
Stephen Jay Gould

Since: Sep 07

Sherman Oaks, CA

#27514 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry your wrong, that life arose on it's own from a primordial goo by natural processes is the linch pin of the theory of evolution. If you say life was created then it wasn't random,it wasn't by some 1 in a quadrillion chance, it was DIRECTED by some intelligence.Evolution crumbles with that thought, and is thrown into a chaotic religious panic to defend the faith
Where did this "intelligence" come from?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#27515 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that include your opinion as well? yep
No, it's a realistic and accurate analogy.

Would you want a biologist to remove a viral program from your computer if it was infected? Would you want a mathematician to perform open heart surgery on you after a heart attack? Would you ask a physical trainer how to build a nuclear generator?

If you answer yes to any of these then you are gullible. Scientific research moves so fast right now that it is impossible for any one human to learn it all with enough understanding to accurately describe every aspect of it all. This is why there are so many specializations, and the specializations are becoming more narrow with each passing year because even in one specialization it's proving difficult to keep up. Computer software development fields are the only ones slowing right now, because we are dependent on hardware technology, so when there is a slow down or roadblock in hardware development the software engineers and developers get a breather, right now there is such a slow down, thus why I have taken up studying a bit of biological evolution to keep my mind fresh. I have kept up with the theory of evolution a bit, it's a passing fancy because I loved dinosaurs when I was young and my interest just evolved with them.

Yet, even in my studying barely part of it, it is perfectly logical and fits perfectly within all laws of nature. It also explains things, and has offered us really powerful algorithms for software, even hardware, that have lead to some revolutionary programs and tech devices you enjoy every day. Without these, cell phones would likely still not fit in your pocket.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#27516 May 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's a realistic and accurate analogy.

Would you want a biologist to remove a viral program from your computer if it was infected? Would you want a mathematician to perform open heart surgery on you after a heart attack? Would you ask a physical trainer how to build a nuclear generator?

If you answer yes to any of these then you are gullible. Scientific research moves so fast right now that it is impossible for any one human to learn it all with enough understanding to accurately describe every aspect of it all. This is why there are so many specializations, and the specializations are becoming more narrow with each passing year because even in one specialization it's proving difficult to keep up. Computer software development fields are the only ones slowing right now, because we are dependent on hardware technology, so when there is a slow down or roadblock in hardware development the software engineers and developers get a breather, right now there is such a slow down, thus why I have taken up studying a bit of biological evolution to keep my mind fresh. I have kept up with the theory of evolution a bit, it's a passing fancy because I loved dinosaurs when I was young and my interest just evolved with them.

Yet, even in my studying barely part of it, it is perfectly logical and fits perfectly within all laws of nature. It also explains things, and has offered us really powerful algorithms for software, even hardware, that have lead to some revolutionary programs and tech devices you enjoy every day. Without these, cell phones would likely still not fit in your pocket.
KK you're truly a nut job. You sure must have been hurt pretty bad when you were young. To dedicate your life to a no holds bar fight against God the almighty. With the twisting of words and weaving in and out some facts just enough to keep your child followers dazzled by your fancy foot work.

Doesn't work on me. Sorry. Ain't going to put on those hate colored glasses.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#27517 May 22, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Argument from incredulity.
Incredulity , a great word for what is impossible., the life giving goo.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#27518 May 22, 2012
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did this "intelligence" come from?
I can tell you where this or any intelligence didn't come from, a lava rock puddle soaked by rain resulting in a goo.Only a religious fanatic could imagine such a thing.

Since: Dec 06

Urbana, Illinois

#27519 May 22, 2012
The Nerd wrote:
<quoted text>
Please produce the source to this claim.
Certainly the scientists I have worked with run the gamut from atheist to religious...

Some are atheists, some agnostic, majority Christian, and a number who are Jewish or Islamic...

The tiniest minority are fundamentalists\creationists; one can't do a lot of science with Ken Ham's or Kent Hovind's versions of "reality"!

Since: Dec 06

Urbana, Illinois

#27520 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you where this or any intelligence didn't come from, a lava rock puddle soaked by rain resulting in a goo.Only a religious fanatic could imagine such a thing.
Right... But that's not really what scientists say, is it?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#27521 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is still a work in progress. If you want to learn anything about it I could give you some links.

Naah.. You are probably more happy to wallow in your ignorance.
Maccoat

Titusville, PA

#27522 May 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sxtbcOEtpoEXX
Back when Thunerf00t was not a drama queen. I miss the old Tf00t.
Potholder54 is my favorite.

Since: Sep 07

Sherman Oaks, CA

#27523 May 22, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an answer.

You are claiming that life, which is comprised entirely of components found in the real chemical world, can not arise from those same components. Therefore, you propose that an "intelligence" caused life to arise.

What is this "intelligence" comprised of? What caused this "intelligence" to exist in the first place?

You've been acting like a fool for months. Let's here your ALTERNATE explanation.

Go on. I dare you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#27524 May 22, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
KK you're truly a nut job. You sure must have been hurt pretty bad when you were young. To dedicate your life to a no holds bar fight against God the almighty. With the twisting of words and weaving in and out some facts just enough to keep your child followers dazzled by your fancy foot work.
Doesn't work on me. Sorry. Ain't going to put on those hate colored glasses.
I don't care about your god, I am against your beliefs. Since I do not believe in your god, I cannot go against it, but your beliefs are demonstrably wrong, and so when you use them against humanity, it is only ethical to show others just how wrong you are.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#27525 May 22, 2012
Maccoat wrote:
<quoted text> Potholder54 is my favorite.
Potholer54 is awesome. Venaloid is another good one, and is more active than most of the others. He's young to, so he has a ton of bubbliness. But my heart belongs to Ozmoroid all the way. That voice and his accent are so unique, his satirical and blunt sense of humor is hilarious. I just with Ozmoroid would do more vids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min SoetoroSucked 265,586
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 16 min PRES DONALD TRUMP 25,358
News White House refuses to hand over documents to F... 32 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 239
News Florida blaze spreads after ripping through hom... 1 hr joe 16
News Wait for calorie count on burgers, pizza may ge... 1 hr Frogface Kate 48
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Ronald 289
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 2 hr Tm Cln 3,666
More from around the web