Should concealed weapons permits be honored across state lines?

There are 20 comments on the NOLA.com story from Apr 30, 2012, titled Should concealed weapons permits be honored across state lines?. In it, NOLA.com reports that:

Senators David Vitter , R-La., and John Thune, R-S.D, crafted legislation to enable gun owners to carry concealed weapons from state to state, naming it the "Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act." But Judiciary Committee member Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#1 May 1, 2012
that should be up to the states to decide, not the feds.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2 May 1, 2012
I don't think I should have to get a permit to carry concealed anywhere. You know...that whole 2nd Amendment thing of "shall not be infringed".

However, if your state requires a permit to carry concealed and my state has issued me a permit to do just that, then it should be accepted...just like my driver's license.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#3 May 1, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
I don't think I should have to get a permit to carry concealed anywhere. You know...that whole 2nd Amendment thing of "shall not be infringed".
You don't have a right to concealed carry, you have a right to bear arms, which means openly bear arms, such as pistol in plain sight on your belt or a long arm slung from your shoulder. Concealed carry is state licensed privilege. The privilege is extended by the state as means to make the carrying of arms more palatable to the public eye, even thought the framers thought of cealed weapons as the kind used by spies and anarchists.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4 May 1, 2012
The feds should enforce interstate commerce by enforcing national reciprocity. Either prohibit States from disenfranchising gun rights for out-of-state visitors, or enforce a national gun permit or enforce public gun possession for all Americans (with or without a permit).

Richard is a hoplophobe.

Since: Oct 11

Austin, Texas

#5 May 1, 2012
You can't have fifty versions of a constitutional right. If your law abiding in one state your law abiding in all the others as well. Every state but one allows carrying so that should extend to everyone in the state visitor or resident.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#6 May 1, 2012
Many States have recipricy where CCW is concerned. The ones that don't do not trust their own citizens to carry either. The most flagrant offenders of both recipricy and issuance to their citizens are Illinois,California and New York. You have to be politically connected or very wealthy(usually one goes with the other) to recieve a permit/license.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#7 May 1, 2012
Tory II wrote:
The feds should enforce interstate commerce by enforcing national reciprocity. Either prohibit States from disenfranchising gun rights for out-of-state visitors, or enforce a national gun permit or enforce public gun possession for all Americans (with or without a permit).
Richard is a hoplophobe.
Just what the nation needs is a POTUS revocable concealed carry, lol.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#8 May 1, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a right to concealed carry, you have a right to bear arms, which means openly bear arms, such as pistol in plain sight on your belt or a long arm slung from your shoulder. Concealed carry is state licensed privilege.
Same old tired...INACCURATE...nay WRONG...definition, Dick. You have been asked repeatedly to provide proof of where YOUR definition (and it is YOURS) of "bear" means to only carry openly. And you have yet to provide one.

What about the 4 states that DON'T required a license to carry concealed? Why is this method of carry commonly referred to as "Constitutional Carry"?
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>The privilege is extended by the state as means to make the carrying of arms more palatable to the public eye, even thought the framers thought of cealed weapons as the kind used by spies and anarchists.
The framers carried pistols tucked in their belts under their waste coats, you idiot.
zagnut69

North Easton, MA

#9 May 8, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
that should be up to the states to decide, not the feds.
FULL FAITH and CREDIT SHALL BE GIVEN to rights secured in one state within every other state!
.
Article IV of the Constitution COMMANDS this to be.
.
.
John AteTwelve

Houston, TX

#10 May 8, 2012
interesting that we are only required to submit to special screening (permit approval process) to exercise our Constitutionally Guaranteed 2nd Amendment Right.

How can States write their own laws restricting Rights granted to US in the Constitution?

Imagine Cali writes a law that infringes on your 1st Amendment rights? Only the select few can freely express themselves, have religious freedom, etc. or pick any of the 10 Bill of Rights and apply a mock verification process to be able to exercise that Constitutionally guaranteed right. Hence; gun registry and permit process.

Folks, i just don't know anymore. To what end is all of this political maneuvering away from our Founding structure?

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#11 May 8, 2012
John AteTwelve wrote:
interesting that we are only required to submit to special screening (permit approval process) to exercise our Constitutionally Guaranteed 2nd Amendment Right.
You have a constitutional right to own firearm, you have a constitutional right to open bear your firearm on your hip openly, you have a constitutional right to bear a long arm slung over your shoulder. Concealed carry is a state's right to license as a privilege.
John AteTwelve

Houston, TX

#12 May 9, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a constitutional right to own firearm, you have a constitutional right to open bear your firearm on your hip openly, you have a constitutional right to bear a long arm slung over your shoulder. Concealed carry is a state's right to license as a privilege.
I have a Constitutional right to own a firearm, if i first fill out some paperwork, wait for them to approve me, then I get access to that RIGHT. Replace the 2nd Amendment for any other one in this instance and it becomes clear as day. I don't need to be approved to exercise 1st Amendment free speech, do I?

Also, i didnt mention concealed carry in my post. I'm not so sure I agree that it should be a State issue either. Auto insurance, yea. 2nd Amendment, no.
Intent

Saltillo, MS

#13 May 9, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a constitutional right to own firearm, you have a constitutional right to open bear your firearm on your hip openly, you have a constitutional right to bear a long arm slung over your shoulder. Concealed carry is a state's right to license as a privilege.
You keep saying that but the second amendment does not say "open, long arm, slung over shoulder" any where in it. No where does the second amendment limit where or how "keep" or "bear" is exercised.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#14 May 10, 2012
Intent wrote:
<quoted text> You keep saying that but the second amendment does not say "open, long arm, slung over shoulder" any where in it. No where does the second amendment limit where or how "keep" or "bear" is exercised.
You're correct, the U.S. Constitution does say BEAR arms, but it doesn't say concealed carry, which is why states have the authority to regulate concealed carry as a privilege.

Where the right comes in, is that states cannot discriminate in the issuance of a concealed carry privilege based on sex, gender, sexual orientation, creed, color, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, unless one's rights to possess arms has been disabled. In fact, no where in Amendment II is the word, "CITIZEN" used, which is why aliens may also apply for the concealed permit and are lawful to possess firearms in the U.S. as well.

It's quite possible that once the federal government takes away state soveregnty on CCW licenses, that in state transfers of firearms will be regulated by the feds as well. After all, if the feds can take one state right away, they might as well take them all, LOL. Like I said, it's a power grab by the feds, but you go ahead sign on to it, I'll just tell you I told ya so.
John AteTwelve

Houston, TX

#15 May 10, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>You're correct, the U.S. Constitution does say BEAR arms, but it doesn't say concealed carry, which is why states have the authority to regulate concealed carry as a privilege.
Where the right comes in, is that states cannot discriminate in the issuance of a concealed carry privilege based on sex, gender, sexual orientation, creed, color, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, unless one's rights to possess arms has been disabled. In fact, no where in Amendment II is the word, "CITIZEN" used, which is why aliens may also apply for the concealed permit and are lawful to possess firearms in the U.S. as well.
It's quite possible that once the federal government takes away state soveregnty on CCW licenses, that in state transfers of firearms will be regulated by the feds as well. After all, if the feds can take one state right away, they might as well take them all, LOL. Like I said, it's a power grab by the feds, but you go ahead sign on to it, I'll just tell you I told ya so.
You believe that illegal aliens are allowed, under law, to posses fireamrs per the Constitution? How can someone who is not legally in our country pass any ATF background check? Go try to buy a firearm and when you get to the form question regarding your legal status, simply check that you are not a citizen or even a legal resident. I'd like to know how long it takes for you to receive that gun. im betting that you never get it.
Samantha_D

United States

#16 May 10, 2012
Yes
Intent

Saltillo, MS

#17 May 10, 2012
John AteTwelve wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe that illegal aliens are allowed, under law, to posses fireamrs per the Constitution? How can someone who is not legally in our country pass any ATF background check? Go try to buy a firearm and when you get to the form question regarding your legal status, simply check that you are not a citizen or even a legal resident. I'd like to know how long it takes for you to receive that gun. im betting that you never get it.
I really hate to but Richard only said alien, not illegal alien. It turns my stomach to agree with him but he did leave out he word illegal.
ba94ta

Cumming, GA

#18 May 10, 2012
John AteTwelve wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a Constitutional right to own a firearm, if i first fill out some paperwork, wait for them to approve me, then I get access to that RIGHT. Replace the 2nd Amendment for any other one in this instance and it becomes clear as day. I don't need to be approved to exercise 1st Amendment free speech, do I?
Also, i didnt mention concealed carry in my post. I'm not so sure I agree that it should be a State issue either. Auto insurance, yea. 2nd Amendment, no.
This is true but times do change as well as the laws. If we required no special screening or filling out of any paperwork, convicted criminals fresh out of jail could go down to a pawn shop, buy a gun(or hold them up for one) and then go rob a bank or kill someone.

I understand what your saying but can you fully stand behind that?

would you really want convicted murderers to be able to buy guns and carry concealed because the 2nd amendment says so?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#19 May 10, 2012
ba94ta wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true but times do change as well as the laws. If we required no special screening or filling out of any paperwork, convicted criminals fresh out of jail could go down to a pawn shop, buy a gun(or hold them up for one) and then go rob a bank or kill someone.
I understand what your saying but can you fully stand behind that?
would you really want convicted murderers to be able to buy guns and carry concealed because the 2nd amendment says so?
No law ever written has ever stopped a criminal from doing or obtaining anything.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#20 May 10, 2012
ba94ta wrote:
This is true but times do change as well as the laws. If we required no special screening or filling out of any paperwork, convicted criminals fresh out of jail could go down to a pawn shop, buy a gun(or hold them up for one) and then go rob a bank or kill someone.
So you say the antigun laws, and the gun paperwork are keeping convicts from buying a weapon, or from committing crime ? If laws are so effective where is the one that prohibits ex felons from committing another crime ?
ba94ta wrote:
I understand what your saying but can you fully stand behind that? would you really want convicted murderers to be able to buy guns and carry concealed because the 2nd amendment says so?
Convicts buy weapons in the gun blackmarket (if they can't steal one). Most men don't require a GUN to murder people anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is It Time to End Ethanol Vehicle Fuel Mandates? (Apr '13) 45 min Earthling-1 7
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr ACTUALLY 161,932
News Ben Carson confirms presidential campaign 1 hr serfs up 73
News Fed Chair Janet Yellen won't tell Bernie Sander... (May '14) 1 hr swedenforever 3
News Congressman: Global Warming Is A 'Religion' 1 hr Earthling-1 65
News Obama turns up heat on climate change debate in... 1 hr Earthling-1 202
News Russia providing arms to Ukrainian separatists:... 2 hr Zeppelin 1,127
More from around the web