OkCupid CEO Responds to Anti-Gay Dona...

OkCupid CEO Responds to Anti-Gay Donation Controversy

There are 73 comments on the EDGE story from Apr 8, 2014, titled OkCupid CEO Responds to Anti-Gay Donation Controversy. In it, EDGE reports that:

Early Tuesday, reports surfaced that the co-founder and CEO of the dating website OkCupid donated $500 to a Republican lawmaker from Utah in 2004 who has a staunch history of anti-gay voting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Religionists R Us

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 8, 2014
Let me guess what OkCupid did not do in response: Hire Chick fil A's Dan Cathy to be the new CEO of OkCupid....
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Apr 8, 2014
We can find their apology believable ONLY if Mr. Cupid marries Mr. Anti-gay mormon politician and invites the world to their wedding
If not; Feed 'em to the lions
Religionists R Us

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Apr 8, 2014
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
We can find their apology believable ONLY if Mr. Cupid marries Mr. Anti-gay mormon politician and invites the world to their wedding
If not; Feed 'em to the lions
(OkCupid is commenting because they were staunchly, actively pro lgbt on this Mozilla incident. They're not the party who should be apologizing.)
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Apr 8, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
(OkCupid is commenting because they were staunchly, actively pro lgbt on this Mozilla incident. They're not the party who should be apologizing.)
Oh geese! LOL - What's a pussycat to do ;o)
Being lazy; I was referring to the guy as 'Mr. Cupid' so I wouldn't have to look up his name
For the record; Mr. Cupid's name is Sam Yeagan
Thanks for the catch

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#5 Apr 8, 2014
Sam Yagan made a $500 donation to U.S. Congressman Chris Cannon in 2004.

Cannon has a special kind of hate for gays.

Location hidden

#7 Apr 8, 2014
Early Tuesday, reports surfaced that the co-founder and CEO of the dating website OkCupid donated $500 to a Republican lawmaker from Utah in 2004 who has a staunch history of anti-gay voting. The news broke just a week after Brendan Eich resigned as the CEO of Mozilla for drawing ire because he donated $1,000 to a 2008 Prop 8 campaign and after officials from OkCupid urged their users to boycott Mozilla’s popular web browser Firefox.

What a hypocrite.
Religionists R Us

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Apr 8, 2014
Oh, you poor thing.

No, sane people can see that Target or some other staunchly pro lgbt corporation giving money to some troglodyte politico for business reasons is totally different from a bona fide bigot from a gay unfriendly corporation donating to a non profit that is specifically geared toward an anti gay agenda.
thinking things over

Highland, CA

#9 Apr 8, 2014
Just got rid of Firefox as my Browser as I will not support those liberal Fascist anymore.
I installed the Midori web browser and if that does not meet my needs going to check out Web/Epiphaney browser
Religionists R Us

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Apr 8, 2014
thinking things over wrote:
Just got rid of Firefox as my Browser as I will not support those liberal Fascist anymore.
I installed the Midori web browser and if that does not meet my needs going to check out Web/Epiphaney browser
Apple, Intel and Microsloth are just as pro lgbt so you have a lot more pruning to do, Cletus.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 8, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
Oh, you poor thing.
No, sane people can see that Target or some other staunchly pro lgbt corporation giving money to some troglodyte politico for business reasons is totally different from a bona fide bigot from a gay unfriendly corporation donating to a non profit that is specifically geared toward an anti gay agenda.
I knew you would support hypocrisy when it is a gay person who is guilty. You do not care who's toes you step on to get special rights for gays do you.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 8, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
Oh, you poor thing.
I would like to say everything that is on this video to you. However if you watch it you will see why I can't here in Topix.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 8, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Apple, Intel and Microsloth are just as pro lgbt so you have a lot more pruning to do, Cletus.
Sam Yagan made a $500 donation to U.S. Congressman Chris Cannon in 2004.

Cannon has a special kind of hate for gays.
Religionists R Us

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Apr 8, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you would support hypocrisy when it is a gay person who is guilty. You do not care who's toes you step on to get special rights for gays do you.
Naturally you cannot begin to understand how things are alike and how they are different.

Nor can you ever make a fair argument.

I even think most of your buybull quotes you present are usually way out of context.

Luckily I explained for everyone else how Target and OkCupid are quite pro equality, despite their ugly, business related campaign donations.
thinking things over

Highland, CA

#15 Apr 9, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont use any of their products.Ever hear of Ubuntu Linux? Computer runs fine and I dont ever have a virus problem. YOU should educate yourself and realize you can run your computer and never touch anything from the big boys.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 9, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Naturally you cannot begin to understand how things are alike and how they are different.
Nor can you ever make a fair argument.
I even think most of your buybull quotes you present are usually way out of context.
Luckily I explained for everyone else how Target and OkCupid are quite pro equality, despite their ugly, business related campaign donations.
The only fair argument is the gay is a hypocrite who got a man fired for doing exactly what he did. Do you love these witch hunts? Do you want people looking for something you might have done 20 years ago to discredit you today?

After acknowledging that he was a drug snorting alcoholic, Ex-President George Bush said that he should not be punished today for the excesses of his youth. I do not agree with that scumbag.

And no one cares what you think about my quoting the Bible. You notice I do not do it much any more. I used to quote the god damned book every time some fundie waltzed in here to hurt gay people and I shut up a lot of the fundies doing so. But now I seem to only have time dealing with the Nazism of the Gay community instead. It is your loss.
Talibangelical Fatwa

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Apr 9, 2014
thinking things over wrote:
<quoted text> Dont use any of their products.Ever hear of Ubuntu Linux? Computer runs fine and I dont ever have a virus problem. YOU should educate yourself and realize you can run your computer and never touch anything from the big boys.
Hey moron, you're desperate. The Linux community is obviously pro lgbt. You are using some sort of hardware. There is no homophobic corporation making PCs.

If you want to make a show of braying how you're going to boycott Mozilla because Mozilla despises sexually sick bigots then you better boycott all the other corporations which are clearly pro lgbt - because if they aren't they can't attract and retain an educated workforce.

There, simple enough for you this time?
Talibangelical Fatwa

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Apr 9, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
The only fair argument is the gay is a hypocrite who got a man fired for doing exactly what he did.
"Exactly" is a lie, nutcase. Run along.
Dan

United States

#19 Apr 9, 2014
Religionists R Us wrote:
Oh, you poor thing.
Mozilla is "gay - unfriendly"?

They don't think so. By all accounts, the gay people working there don't think so.

Yeagan and his company are hypocrites, period. If Yeagan's going to sit there with a straight face and tell you that he didn't know what a Republican lawmaker from Utah's views on SSM were, and you believe him, then you're as stupid as he needs you to be.

" However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop 8...". Right-it is different and it's actually WORSE, since a congressman exists to draft and pass legislation. All kinds of it, including legislation impacting LGBT folks in Utah.

Luckily for Yeagan, he has dullards like you who will buy that load.
Jorja Fox

Staunton, VA

#20 Apr 9, 2014
https://www.okcupid.com/contact-us/

If you are really ticked off about this...let them know.

Just to funny!! But of course what HE did wasn't as bad. This is hilarious! Am curious if he feels any backlash HE receives will be justified.
Dan

United States

#21 Apr 9, 2014
Good article on the matter here:

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/08/oops-ok...

"He’s going to say one of two things in his defense (or both) once OkCupid comments on this. One: His donation to Cannon wasn’t about gay issues, it was about something unrelated — tech policy or whatever. You can contribute to a candidate without endorsing every position he holds; you can’t say the same of Eich’s contribution, which was aimed specifically at gay marriage. Okay, but in that case, what issue was so important to Yagan that it justified handing over money to a candidate who voted against gay rights at every turn? Let’s hear how he prioritizes and see if his friends on the left agree.

Two: He’ll claim that he’s changed his mind on gay rights, just like Obama but (apparently) unlike Brendan Eich.(Yagan also donated to Obama in 2008, back when O was dutifully posing as a traditional-marriage supporter.) Eich never renounced his donation to Prop 8; Yagan will, presumably, happily renounce his Cannon donation now to avoid the dreaded charge of hypocrisy. I’ve never understood, though, why any former opponent of gay marriage would, after changing his mind, bring down the hammer on someone who hasn’t changed his mind yet. I used to oppose gay marriage too; practically all straights (and some gays) have at some point. And yet lots of converts on this issue seem able to transition awfully quickly from opposition to ambivalence to burning other holdouts at the stake. If Yagan’s going to distinguish himself from Eich, let’s at least have a timeline from him of how long he thinks an SSM opponent should have to “evolve” in order to spare himself from a witch hunt."

Yagan's apology, in any event, is simply an admission on his part that profits were more important to him than gay rights, "yet he took it upon himself to be the tip of the spear in the “Eich must go” movement."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Republican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Star Wars 16,569
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Julia 279,789
News 'Let Obamacare fail,' Trump says after GOP plan... 22 min Dee Dee Dee 58
News House to consider ban on transgender surgery fo... 49 min Dee Dee Dee 188
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 52 min Regolith Based Li... 221,916
News GOP favor dropping tax beneficial to blue states 1 hr CodeTalker 1
News Burchett: I'm running for U.S. House or Senate ... 2 hr Thinking out loud 211
More from around the web