Why is the truth so hard to find?

Posted in the The Truther Files Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 15

Sun City West

#1 Dec 23, 2015
I saw an article quite some time ago about "truth". I've always thought the truth was about statistics, data, dates, history, and science. Apparently some people don't want to actually LOOK for the truth and the "truth" is hard to find because some folks see "truth" as subjective. I think it's hard to find because it's not always what people want to hear.
So why not go back to data, dates, and science?? Because it's not always what people want to hear so they create their own truth. Mark Twain said: "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2 Dec 23, 2015
Clara007 wrote:
I saw an article quite some time ago about "truth". I've always thought the truth was about statistics, data, dates, history, and science. Apparently some people don't want to actually LOOK for the truth and the "truth" is hard to find because some folks see "truth" as subjective. I think it's hard to find because it's not always what people want to hear.
So why not go back to data, dates, and science?? Because it's not always what people want to hear so they create their own truth. Mark Twain said: "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
at one time when there was real journalists the media would air mostly truth and folks did not have to dig through garbage to find it. now it seems are media is under threat to keep the truth on many things out of public view,instead of their lives on the line as is happening in mexico,the bosses of our media seem to be under threat of losing their jobs if they do air all the facts.

as for going back to data and science where can the truth be found anymore when everything is for sale and and all truths are what the highest bitter says.

Sun City West

#3 Dec 24, 2015
tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
at one time when there was real journalists the media would air mostly truth and folks did not have to dig through garbage to find it. now it seems are media is under threat to keep the truth on many things out of public view,instead of their lives on the line as is happening in mexico,the bosses of our media seem to be under threat of losing their jobs if they do air all the facts.
as for going back to data and science where can the truth be found anymore when everything is for sale and and all truths are what the highest bitter says.
I'm not sure the good old days were filled with truth, but I understand what you are saying. Journalists often withheld information from the public so are those lies of omission?? Should the media have told the public about JFK's affairs? Secret Service agents didn't used to blab private info about the president. There was a code of ethics for the press--for the military--for government agencies.
But getting back to finding the truth. I still think we need to look at numbers/data/history and then obviously (when necessary) make a judgement call based on facts....no mater how uncomfortable those facts make us. If we listen/watch/read the same media every day--if we hang out with the same people every day---if we NEVER step out of our comfort zone, we may never FIND the truth or FACE the truth. I just read an interesting piece about how 60% of Americans have never even MET a Muslim, so naturally many fear Muslims. Fear is a terrible enemy.
Now_What

Cherokee Village, AR

#4 Dec 24, 2015
Clara007 wrote:
Go away little girl.

Sun City West

#5 Dec 24, 2015
Now_What wrote:
<quoted text>Go away little girl.
Why???

Location hidden

#6 Dec 24, 2015
Clara007 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure the good old days were filled with truth, but I understand what you are saying. Journalists often withheld information from the public so are those lies of omission?? Should the media have told the public about JFK's affairs? Secret Service agents didn't used to blab private info about the president. There was a code of ethics for the press--for the military--for government agencies.
But getting back to finding the truth. I still think we need to look at numbers/data/history and then obviously (when necessary) make a judgement call based on facts....no mater how uncomfortable those facts make us. If we listen/watch/read the same media every day--if we hang out with the same people every day---if we NEVER step out of our comfort zone, we may never FIND the truth or FACE the truth. I just read an interesting piece about how 60% of Americans have never even MET a Muslim, so naturally many fear Muslims. Fear is a terrible enemy.
covering for jfk was a failure,back then most citizens would have called for his removal,after all it they cannot be loyal to the person he married there is no reason to expect he would be loyal to the country or her citizens/

sure data and science is a good way to get facts,thing it you have to find away to verify that as well,when everyone is for sale facts can be manipulated depending on who wants what to be shown.

kind of like now when there is a claim of gas shortage,the price is raised yet you can buy an unlimited supply for the right amount,in the 70s when that claim was made you could only buy so many gallons on your day and many stations ran out and had signs no gas.

“TANSTAAFL”

Dave, Louisiana

#7 Dec 24, 2015
Now_What wrote:
<quoted text>Go away little girl.
You are a fraud, an identity thief. YOU go away. Get a personae, register, and join the fray, but don't pretend o somebody else.

“TANSTAAFL”

Dave, Louisiana

#8 Dec 24, 2015
Clara007 wrote:
The Poet was searching for the Truth. What he found was a Cowboy.

Since: Sep 09

Lowell, MA

#9 Dec 25, 2015
The key to finding the truth is to examine a claim for consistency with already well established related issues. This may not establish the truth with 100% certainty, but it certainly increases the likelihood considerably.

So in science we would say that such and such a result is consistent with what we expect to find. If we find inconsistencies, then they must be explained in context and provided for with rational reasoning which is consistent with known facts. If that can not be done, then something is wrong somewhere and confidence decreases.

The absolute truth may be beyond our grasp, even if there is such a thing. Sometime the best we can do is to ascertain a confidence level or likelihood of something being true. At 95% we can have very high confidence that something is true.

“TANSTAAFL”

Dave, Louisiana

#10 Dec 26, 2015
Russell797 wrote:
The key to finding the truth is to examine a claim for consistency with already well established related issues. This may not establish the truth with 100% certainty, but it certainly increases the likelihood considerably.
So in science we would say that such and such a result is consistent with what we expect to find. If we find inconsistencies, then they must be explained in context and provided for with rational reasoning which is consistent with known facts. If that can not be done, then something is wrong somewhere and confidence decreases.
The absolute truth may be beyond our grasp, even if there is such a thing. Sometime the best we can do is to ascertain a confidence level or likelihood of something being true. At 95% we can have very high confidence that something is true.
What people believe prevails over the truth.
SOPHOCLES, fragment, The Sons of Aleus
Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/t/truth_quotes....

Truth never lost ground by enquiry.
WILLIAM PENN, Some Fruits of Solitude

Truth can hardly be expected to adapt herself to the crooked policy and wily sinuosities of worldly affairs; for truth, like light, travels only in straight lines.
CHARLES CALEB COLTON, Lacon

When others asked the truth of me, I was convinced it was not the truth they wanted, but an illusion they could bear to live with.
ANA¤S NIN, diary, November 1933

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.
MARK TWAIN, Mark Twain's Notebooks

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#11 Dec 26, 2015
I trust my wife completely... therefore I have never doubted the truth in her. Although, yesterday she presented me with a couple of extra Christmas gifts declaring they were from Santa.

Location hidden

#12 Dec 27, 2015
Are you saying truth can't be known?
ZNN

Sacramento, CA

#13 Jan 4, 2016
Where does Truth lie? English language is funny isn't it.

Location hidden

#14 Jan 5, 2016
Clara007 wrote:
<quoted text>
heck to see how far media has gone to bring misleading info,look into the toddler who drown and was used to push the refugee issue. when you find out why that baby was on the boat in the first place it does not even come close to what media pushed it as.

Lowell, MA

#15 Jan 5, 2016
Gray State wrote:
Are you saying truth can't be known?
Nothing can be known with absolute certainty. We can be highly certain but never absolutely certain.

Location hidden

#16 Jan 5, 2016
Russell797 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing can be known with absolute certainty. We can be highly certain but never absolutely certain.
Are you absolutely certain about your claim?

Lowell, MA

#17 Jan 5, 2016
Gray State wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you absolutely certain about your claim?
Lol, obviously not, but I do base it on the fundamental uncertainty which underlies our apparent reality.

Location hidden

#18 Jan 5, 2016
Russell797 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, obviously not, but I do base it on the fundamental uncertainty which underlies our apparent reality.
Reality is persistent to be sure.

Lowell, MA

#19 Jan 5, 2016
Gray State wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality is persistent to be sure.
True, but change your frame of reference and lots of apparent realities are altered. Reality can change with a change in perspective. Also, it is becoming more obvious that we are aware of only a subset of all reality.

If you tried to find the Earth 6 billion years ago you would have failed because it did not yet exist. Many things were different, reality was somewhat different. Every thing changes and evolves with time. Notice I said every thing, not everything.
fiction equals reality

Toronto, Canada

#22 Aug 19, 2018

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Truther Files Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Takeover Of America Continues (Apr '16) Jan '18 Susan 17
Denying Life-Sustaining Treatment to a Patient ... (Jan '16) Jan '16 serfs up 5
Christmas and Western Civilization (Jan '16) Jan '16 Gray State 1
Marco Rubio Is Right: The Life of a New Human B... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Gray State 1
Liberals expose themselves (and it's a good thing) (Jan '16) Jan '16 Gray State 1
People Aren't Born Transgender (Jan '16) Jan '16 Gray State 1
Do you know what the First Amendment means? (Dec '15) Jan '16 Gray State 3