Call for arrest of watch captain who ...

Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

There are 29778 comments on the New York Daily News story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#32684 Aug 1, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
At least where I live, the first question from a police officer is "do you have any weapons on you today?" If you answer "yes" then they only tell you not to reach in the area of the weapon during the stop. In almost all cases, the officer is aware if the driver has a carry permit before he approaches the vehicle.
Sorry, but that makes no sense. The tag is registered to the vehicle, true enough, but there's no way a cop can determine who's inside prior to stopping the vehicle and seeing ID.

Further, it's also my understanding that if a person has a valid concealed weapons permit, the person does not have to disclose he has a weapon with him, unless asked.

In the dash-cam video, it's not so clear if the question was asked or if the driver volunteered the info
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32685 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my understanding that when a weapon is present during a routine stop, it is normal practice to have the 'suspect' exit the vehicle and be put in cuffs until a background check is run.
Common sense.
In Florida are folks not given a wallet card as a licence to carry?

Location hidden

#32686 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only guess that ngracie is speaking from experience and what happens when she gets pulled over.
Before an officer gets out of his or her police car, they run a check on the licence plate number to determine if the registration is current, if the vehicle has been reported stolen and who the registered owner is, who in most cases will be the driver.
Therefore, since the officers is aware of the registerd owner information before he or she approaches that vehicle, that officer must have a pretty good idea who is going to be sitting behind the wheel before he asks to see a drivers licence. I would imagine that sort of preliminary information might influence the officer, if a decision was make to haul the driver into the cage in the back seat of the police car, but that's certainly not typical.....except apparently in ngracie's experiences.
I've been pulled over twice, many years ago, because I was speeding.

Both times, I received a ticket.

I'm going to disagree with your understanding of how a routine traffic stop goes down. There's no way a cop can know who the driver is from a tag number.

And secondly, from what I've been told, cops can't just run a tag number because they "feel like it".
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32687 Aug 1, 2013
Licensing Home
- Concealed Weapons
- Investigation
- Recovery
- Security
Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/

Do we need to redefine the word "license" if it's changed from the traditional which a piece of identification to prove the holder is licenced?

If not, during a traffic stop, it would make sense that an officer asks to see both a Driver's Licence and an appropriate gun permit, depending on state law.
Riverside

Riverside, CA

#32688 Aug 1, 2013
Riverside wrote:
<quoted text> but Zimmerman was driving a brand new truck with just a temp in the window.
What no one has jumped me yet over the Fl Plates on his honda truck ? Whats wrong Rambler? Do you have a headache or something? Gee's I feel let down, I had a comeback all ready LOL

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#32689 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
The story goes he was westbound on hwy 80 when he was stopped by Forney police, not I-10.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I would almost expect, George was on I-10...which is watched closely by law enforcement for drug shipments, coast to coast....
Find a Road Atlas yet, Putz?.....
hey marce

Chula Vista, CA

#32690 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an expression, Rambler. Nothing more, nothing less.
As to whatever new notion you now have regarding Marce and her new computer and my connection to her, you are again wrong.
One of these days, maybe you'll accept the fact that I'm just me.
<snort>
That'll never happen. She thinks we're all impostors or one person or Grund or something.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32691 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but that makes no sense. The tag is registered to the vehicle, true enough, but there's no way a cop can determine who's inside prior to stopping the vehicle and seeing ID.
Further, it's also my understanding that if a person has a valid concealed weapons permit, the person does not have to disclose he has a weapon with him, unless asked.
In the dash-cam video, it's not so clear if the question was asked or if the driver volunteered the info
Not in my state. As a CCW holder here in Ohio, I can promise you that we are obligated to tell the officer that we have a weapon on us. In fact, it is suggested (during our training course) that even if you don't have a weapon, notify the officer that you have a permit to carry one. No matter what the officer asks of you, it's our duty to interrupt his questioning to inform him we have a weapon on us or in our vehicle.

To support my point, here is a video of a Canton, Ohio police officer who overreacted to a person who had a CCW permit, and was trying to interrupt the officer to tell him of being armed. The cop stopped the suspect from explanation, and then flipped out when the suspect was finally able to inform the officer that he was armed.

You may want to FF to the end of the video to see what happened.

In any case, this officer was fired because of his actions.

Riverside

Riverside, CA

#32692 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to disagree with your understanding of how a routine traffic stop goes down. There's no way a cop can know who the driver is from a tag number.
And secondly, from what I've been told, cops can't just run a tag number because they "feel like it".
You must not be as hot and sexy looking as Tired of silly - she always just gets a warning.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32693 Aug 1, 2013
Riverside wrote:
<quoted text> but Zimmerman was driving a brand new truck with just a temp in the window.
He was? I thought it was an older model vehicle.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32694 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they cannot run a tag number check "when they feel like it" but they most certainly have the right to when they pull over a vehicle with cause.

As someone already explained to you, all excess speeds are not ticketed.....here as well RCMP generally allow a leeway of 10%. Depending on the circumstances I'm sure you can comprehend ensuing tickets is somewhat discretionary.

As far as a cop not knowing who the driver is from a tag number......you're arguing in circles. How often do you hand over your vehicle for other people outside of your family to drive?

Location hidden

#32695 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
In Florida are folks not given a wallet card as a licence to carry?
I don't carry, so I don't know.

Location hidden

#32696 Aug 1, 2013
Riverside wrote:
<quoted text> You must not be as hot and sexy looking as Tired of silly - she always just gets a warning.
LOL, apparently not.

But then again, it was how I met a former beau. That time, I didn't get a ticket.
1 post removed
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32698 Aug 1, 2013
"The traffic stop occurred shortly after noon on Sunday. The dashcam video shows the officer turning on his sirens and saying, "Get 'em," as Zimmerman's 2008 gray Honda pulls away.

Moments later, the officer pulls up behind Zimmerman's car, which is by then parked in the breakdown lane with its hazard lights on."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/us/texas-zimmer...

Thought is was a truck? LOL
EXPERT

United States

#32699 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
CCW permit states you MUST notify a peace officer when initially contacted.

Location hidden

#32700 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they cannot run a tag number check "when they feel like it" but they most certainly have the right to when they pull over a vehicle with cause.
As someone already explained to you, all excess speeds are not ticketed.....here as well RCMP generally allow a leeway of 10%. Depending on the circumstances I'm sure you can comprehend ensuing tickets is somewhat discretionary.
As far as a cop not knowing who the driver is from a tag number......you're arguing in circles. How often do you hand over your vehicle for other people outside of your family to drive?
If someone wants to borrow my car, I gladly give it to them to use. But as it's a gas hog, not many usually want to borrow it. Even I don't want to borrow it, most days. lol

Heck, it could even be stolen and I wouldn't know it was missing for several hours, or days, unless I checked up on it, which I don't make a habit of doing.

So my point, stands.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32701 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't carry, so I don't know.
There's no other way for police, in state's where a licence to carry is required, to easily determine if the carrier is licenced without the carrier producing a valid licence!

I don't know what kind of world you live in, but in most places that's the definition of "a licence".....something you carry to prove you're licenced.

Here even a fisherman is required to carry and produce a valid fishing licence if he has a fishing rod in his hand and a Wildlife Officer asks to see it. That's also why everyone who has one is required to have their Driver's Licence when driving......so police don't have to contact the licensing department to find out if the driver has one, every time a traffic stop is conducted.

Location hidden

#32702 Aug 1, 2013
hey marce wrote:
<quoted text>
<snort>
That'll never happen. She thinks we're all impostors or one person or Grund or something.
I wish someone would tell her that when a person is registered on Topix, every post is added to their count, regardless of screen name.

But I'm assuming she already knows this, being unregistered and all.

I'm so glad I stopped being called Grund, at least. lol

Location hidden

#32703 Aug 1, 2013
Detailed Information for Case 592012CF001792A
Case Number: 592012CF001792A Judge: ALVA, MARLENE M
Defendant Name: SHELLIE ZIMMERMAN
DOB: 03/1987
Proceeding: DOCKET SOUNDING Courtroom: 5C
Court Date: 08-21-2013 Time: 09:00AM

----------
1 PERJURY IN OFFICIAL PROCEEDINGS

----------
07/19/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE
07/10/2013 MOCO MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE
07/10/2013 SYS NOTICE FOR DOCKET SOUNDING AUG 21, 2013 AT 09:00 AM PRINTED
07/09/2013 MOCO MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE
07/09/2013 ORGR ORDER GRANTING CONTINUANCE
07/09/2013 DKSN DOCKET SOUNDING [A]- DATE: 08/21/2013 - TIME: 0900AM - CTRM: 5C
05/15/2013 SUPP SUPPLEMENTAL DEFENSE WITNESS LIST
05/14/2013 DFWL SUPPLEMENTAL DEFENDANT'S WITNESS LIST
05/08/2013 FREE AMENDED DESIGNATION OF ASSISTANT STATE ATTORNEY PURSUANT TO EXECUTIVE ORDER
05/08/2013 FREE OF THE GOVERNOR #12-279
05/03/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE AT DOCKET SOUNDING
05/02/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE AT DOCKET SOUNDING
04/18/2013 SYS NOTICE FOR DOCKET SOUNDING JUL 10, 2013 AT 09:00 AM PRINTED
04/17/2013 FREE STATE'S FISRT SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSE TO DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
04/17/2013 MOTN JOINT MOTION TO CONTINUE
04/17/2013 DKSN --JUSTICE BUILDING BEFORE JUDGE MARLENE M ALVA
04/17/2013 DNP DEFENDANT WAS NOT PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
04/17/2013 DKSN DOCKET SOUNDING CONTINUED TO 07/10/2013 AT 0900AM IN COURTROOM 5C, AT CRIMINAL
04/17/2013 MNF MINUTES FOR DOCKET SOUNDING BEFORE JUDGE MARLENE M ALVA
04/17/2013 MNFD STATE ATTORNEY JOHN GUY WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
04/17/2013 MNFD DEFENSE ATTORNEY SIMS, KELLY B WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
04/17/2013 MNFD WAIVER OF APPEARANCE PREVIOUSLY FILED
04/17/2013 MNFD (1)PERJURY IN OFFICIAL PROCEEDINGS 837.02 F-3: DEFENDANT CONTINUED ON BOND
04/17/2013 MNFD COURT GRANTED JOINT MOTION TO CONTINUE
04/17/2013 PRNO NOTICE TO ALL PARTIES

Location hidden

#32704 Aug 1, 2013
04/16/2013 MOTN EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 12-279
04/16/2013 MOTN MOTION TO DISMISS OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE PETITION FOR WRIT OF OUO WARRANTO RE:
03/15/2013 NOTD NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION UPON ORAL EXAMINATION 4/17/13
03/15/2013 NOTD NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION UPON ORAL EXAMINATION 4/11/13
03/14/2013 NOTD NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION UPON ORAL EXAMINATION
03/07/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE AT DOCKET SOUNDING 04/17/2013
03/06/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE
02/22/2013 FREE STATEMENT OF PARTICULARS
02/21/2013 DDIS DEMAND FOR SUPPLEMENTAL DISCOVERY
02/20/2013 DEMD DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
02/19/2013 ORCO ORDER GRANTING MOTION TO CONTINUE
02/19/2013 MOCO MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE
02/19/2013 MOSP MOTION FOR STATEMENT OF PARTICULARS
02/19/2013 DKSN DOCKET SOUNDING CONTINUED TO 04/17/2013 AT 0900AM IN COURTROOM 5C, AT CRIMINAL
02/19/2013 DKSN --JUSTICE BUILDING BEFORE JUDGE MARLENE M ALVA
02/19/2013 MNF MINUTES FOR MOTION BEFORE JUDGE MARLENE M ALVA
02/19/2013 MNFD STATE ATTORNEY JOHN GUY WAS PRESENT FOR MOTION
02/19/2013 MNFD DEFENSE ATTORNEY SIMS, KELLY B WAS PRESENT FOR MOTION
02/19/2013 MNFD -DEFENSE MOTION TO DISMISS OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE PETITION FOR WRIT OF QUO
02/19/2013 MNFD --WARRANTO-ATTY SIMS PRESENTED ARGUMENT TO THE COURT.ATTY GUY
02/19/2013 MNFD --RESPONDED.THE COURT DENIES THE MOTION TO DISMISS OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE
02/19/2013 PRES DEFENDANT WAS PRESENT FOR MOTION
02/19/2013 MNFD COURT GRANTED DEFENSE MOTION TO CONTINUE
02/19/2013 MNFD (1)PERJURY IN OFFICIAL PROCEEDINGS 837.02 F-3: DEFENDANT CONTINUED ON BOND
02/19/2013 MNFD --PARTIES EXCUSED FROM 2/20/13.
02/19/2013 MNFD --DAY OF FEBRUARY 2013.DOCKET SOUNDING FOR 2/20/13 WAS ADDRESSED TODAY,
02/19/2013 MNFD --PETITION FOR WRIT OF QUO WARRANTO.DONE AND ORDERED IN OPEN COURT THIS 19TH
02/06/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF APPEARANCE
02/05/2013 WAAP WAIVER OF DEFENDANT'S ATTENDANCE AT DOCKET SOUNDING FEBRUARY 20, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Realtime 1,396,444
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 2 min Crystal_Clear722 3,652
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 3 min RMGHispanic Causi... 2,124
News Rebellious Democrats disrupt House, stage protest 3 min death by arrogance 292
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? (Sep '14) 4 min Demon hater 4,704
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 min who cares 13,177
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min An NFL Fan 20,195
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 46 min katrina 88 388,442
News Trump takes on trade deals in Pennsylvania speech 57 min Democrat Hero 71
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Frankendrumpf 228,983
More from around the web