State of the Union: Minimum Wage 101

State of the Union: Minimum Wage 101

There are 101 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Jan 28, 2014, titled State of the Union: Minimum Wage 101. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

House Democrats are urging Congress to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Cat74

Plainfield, IL

#1 Jan 28, 2014
Why not $20. an hour? No one can support a family on $10.10 an hour. This is about providing financially for a whole illegal alien family, isn't it? I know it once was for H S students, their first job, but now there are no entry level jobs so it is Hamburger flipping 101. These people are not worth $10.10 an hour. Small businesses will lay off people rather then eat the cost of untrained, unprepared workers. What difference does it make. There is always the Government dole.
radiofreeamerica

Holiday, FL

#2 Jan 28, 2014
McDonalds and Burger King cease operations knowing that the public wont pay $10 for a Big Mac.Walmart the same.Are you going to pay $20 for a Mickey Mouse clock made in China?Well with obama approval numbers in the 30s now the democrats need an issue that sounds good to the lesser luminaries that vote for them.
1 post removed
Roger Edgar

AOL

#4 Jan 28, 2014
King Barack the 1st will spew Karl Marx doctrine to the rousing applause of what pass for Democrats during America's last days. Geo Orwell warned us of the coming of the Obamite Progressives. We ALL must pay the price for being too stupid to pay attention.
1 post removed

“My Commander-in-Chi ef!”

Since: Jun 07

Obama got Osama!

#6 Jan 28, 2014
President Obama:
“America doesn’t stand still and neither do I”.

I love it; let the tea-baggers know that we will not sit back as they continue to try and obstruct.
Cordwainer Trout

Campbellsville, KY

#7 Jan 28, 2014
Democrats have become a Party intentionally disadvantaging the ignorance and dopey nature of their constituencies. Every single time the minimum wage has been increased has resulted in a upward spiral of grocery prices. The last time has resulted in food prices rising 100-150 percent. It is also reflected in the cost of fast food and restaurant meals, which have remarkably inflated. Democrats have always depended upon the ignorance and mob mentality of very stupid people. They don't have to worry about inflation harming themselves. In fact, they will unfailingly give themselves raises to accommodate the inflation they cause.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#8 Jan 28, 2014
radiofreeamerica wrote:
McDonalds and Burger King cease operations knowing that the public wont pay $10 for a Big Mac.Walmart the same.Are you going to pay $20 for a Mickey Mouse clock made in China?Well with obama approval numbers in the 30s now the democrats need an issue that sounds good to the lesser luminaries that vote for them.
You enjoy being clueless?

McDonalds wanted to open in Australia, under one condition by their government - starting salaries will be at $14.00 per hr.

Guess what numbnuts - McDonalds is there and doing just fine.

You people really are stupid.

Wal-Mart to this day is not allowed in W. Germany due to their business practices.
1 post removed

Since: Jan 11

Hackettstown, NJ

#10 Jan 28, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
I love it; let the tea-baggers know that we will not sit back as they continue to try and obstruct.
Try to obstruct what, exactly?

Lake Success, N.Y.

#11 Jan 28, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Why not $20. an hour? No one can support a family on $10.10 an hour. This is about providing financially for a whole illegal alien family, isn't it? I know it once was for H S students, their first job, but now there are no entry level jobs so it is Hamburger flipping 101. These people are not worth $10.10 an hour. Small businesses will lay off people rather then eat the cost of untrained, unprepared workers. What difference does it make. There is always the Government dole.
Answer this one Cnutnip - I know you can't, but let's see what you can do;

Costco on average pays its employees an average of $18.00 per hr.- there are many making more than $20.00, all full time, all with full medical benefits, and it makes MONEY!

All while selling bulk DISCOUNT items.

Now how do they do it Cnutnip, without cutting jobs or increasing prices?

This should be funny.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#12 Jan 29, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
Oh wow, after careful planning and consideration, it has been determined by making the minimum wage for federal workers $10.10 per hour it will raise the pay of 12 people and give the rest a pay cut.

Paris

#13 Jan 29, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer this one Cnutnip - I know you can't, but let's see what you can do;
Costco on average pays its employees an average of $18.00 per hr.- there are many making more than $20.00, all full time, all with full medical benefits, and it makes MONEY!
All while selling bulk DISCOUNT items.
Now how do they do it Cnutnip, without cutting jobs or increasing prices?
This should be funny.
It's called cash flow management pookie and budgeting a break even point. Those in America that can't cash flow their business with the untrained making what trained people have will then cut employees or raise cost. You must be like Obama, it fun to spend others money..........one scoop or two.

Paris

#14 Jan 29, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
McDonalds wanted to open in Australia, under one condition by their government - starting salaries will be at $14.00 per hr.
Wal-Mart to this day is not allowed in W. Germany due to their business practices.
Of course nimrod, the average wage is $20.00 an hour.........why is Mac so cheap?
read my fingers

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#15 Jan 29, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
Pat obamarine;) do U working on Dr. bo speecheerliter this time?;-000h, not so bad!! ;-00h, onlee Joe smile the more;-00
Solid

United States

#16 Jan 29, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you run your mouth look at the over all cost of living and as far as Germany their economy is not doing so good . Look everybody another liberal ... Hahaha
Solid

United States

#17 Jan 29, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
Bet you just love how Obama treats American Veterans or how fort hood was just work place violence . Put on your turban boy you're a United States Marine !!!!

Since: Jan 14

Evanston, IL

#18 Jan 29, 2014
People need to be able to make a living wage.

Paris

#19 Jan 29, 2014
Solid wrote:
<quoted text>Bet you just love how Obama treats American Veterans or how fort hood was just work place violence . Put on your turban boy you're a United States Marine !!!!
He's a litter box for Obama to use.
truth facts

Delaware, OH

#20 Jan 29, 2014
No ROI wrote:
People need to be able to make a living wage.
Isn't it called personal responsibility?If a person is not making enough money then that person needs to get some skills.This gimmie,gimmie,gimmie crap is not taking personal responsibility.Stop making excuses.
truth facts

Delaware, OH

#21 Jan 29, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
FART!!!!!!!!!!
truth facts

Delaware, OH

#22 Jan 29, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama:
"Marine Corp Patriot" sick joke.

Lake Success, N.Y.

#23 Jan 29, 2014
Solid wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you run your mouth look at the over all cost of living and as far as Germany their economy is not doing so good . Look everybody another liberal ... Hahaha
Seems you're the one running your mouth numbnuts, with no facts to boot.

Who was even talking to you? Another GOP azzhole.

The German economy has seen growth in unemployment, but nowhere near what one would refer to as concerning, considering the German economy is still to date the strongest in Europe, and this is irrefutable;

"The German economy, which helped to pull the 17-nation euro area out of recession in three months through June, probably expanded at a slower pace in the third quarter, the Bundesbank said on Oct. 21. Sentiment among companies on the economic outlook dipped for the first time in six months in October amid uncertainty over the pace of the recovery in the currency bloc, Germany’s biggest trading partner.

“Survey indicators are weakening a bit and the big concern that we have is that even German companies are not investing that much,” said Anatoli Annenkov, senior economist at Societe Generale SA in London.“If we have continued growth in the third and fourth quarter, we can start to look forward to continued improvement in the labor market.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-30/germ...

"Economic growth is projected to strengthen, supported by domestic demand. Real wage gains and low unemployment should sustain consumption growth while improving confidence in the euro area recovery and low interest rates are expected to boost investment spending. Exports will accelerate gradually as the recovery takes hold in the euro area and emerging market economies strengthen again. The current account surplus may shrink to 5½ per cent of GDP in 2015. The unemployment rate is projected to fall to 5% at the end of 2015, generating some inflation pressure.

Fiscal policy should remain neutral, consistent with the fiscal rule for the central government. Reducing high leverage among systemically important banks could strengthen confidence and make the recovery more resilient to financial shocks. The establishment of one-stop shops for business start-ups is welcome and should facilitate more dynamism in Germany’s domestic economy. Structural reforms to deregulate professional services, remove barriers to full-time female employment and further improve access to tertiary education would all strengthen growth and contribute to global rebalancing."

http://www.oecd.org/economy/germanyeconomicfo...

Why is it people like you, the most ignorant in our society, have the biggest mouths? A desire to be heard regardless of your stupidity I presume?

Sad little man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min thetruth 20,045
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Rogue Scholar 05 216,569
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 6 min Raptor 141
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min Quirky 387,894
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 37 min what up 2,020
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 38 min Yeah 1,394,707
News The Republican Party is dead 38 min Kakarrot 1,739
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr Bakker 3,176
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 1 hr Nu Wor Order 99
More from around the web