States look to lower drug costs, cons...

States look to lower drug costs, consider Canadian imports

There are 18 comments on the WFMJ-TV Youngstown story from Feb 11, 2018, titled States look to lower drug costs, consider Canadian imports. In it, WFMJ-TV Youngstown reports that:

Lawmakers in more than two-thirds of the states are considering ways to reduce prescription drug costs, including importing them from Canada, as they strive to balance budgets without knowing for sure what their government's share of the tab will be. A total of 87 bills in 34 states of all political stripes seek to save money on prescription drugs, according to the nonpartisan National Academy for State Health Policy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMJ-TV Youngstown.

Jackie

Reading, PA

#1 Feb 12, 2018
Why do they have to be imported from Canada? Can't the cost of prescription drugs be lowered right here in the USA? I'm confused ; (
Impeach the Creep

Madison, WI

#2 Feb 12, 2018
Jackie wrote:
Why do they have to be imported from Canada? Can't the cost of prescription drugs be lowered right here in the USA? I'm confused ; (
No.
And that’s the difference between and a ‘free market’ system driven by results for shareholders (America) and state negotiated prices in a system driven by plosives results for customers (The rest of the free world)
As long as profits come before people, the system will always favor the shareholders.

http://www.pnhp.org/sites/default/files/faq_c...
Jackie

Reading, PA

#3 Feb 12, 2018
Why must so many things be Imported here in the USA? Do we make anything here anymore?
Food and x-rays as an example in my opinion can be made or done here.
Jackie

Reading, PA

#4 Feb 12, 2018
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>

No.
And that’s the difference between and a ‘free market’ system driven by results for shareholders (America) and state negotiated prices in a system driven by plosives results for customers (The rest of the free world)
As long as profits come before people, the system will always favor the shareholders.

http://www.pnhp.org/sites/default/files/faq_c...
Thanks for that input, but I think when it comes to healthcare, like meds, this is a very important issue where our prescriptions come from, if our food and meds are weak imitations, we will have alot more problems and cost to deal with. So cutting corners does not solve anything, but make things 10X worse and 10X more costly to fix.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#5 Feb 12, 2018
With a friendly border, prescription drugs can flow south and illegal immigrants north. A win, win.
1 post removed

“4 years of Libs in agony!”

Since: Jan 11

Lake Geneva, WI

#7 Feb 12, 2018
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>

No.
And that’s the difference between and a ‘free market’ system driven by results for shareholders (America) and state negotiated prices in a system driven by plosives results for customers (The rest of the free world)
As long as profits come before people, the system will always favor the shareholders.

http://www.pnhp.org/sites/default/files/faq_c...
Without those "evil" profits good luck getting people to invest.

You know, those dollars that help companies grow and develop new products.

Companies don't invest BILLIONS into a new drug just to break even.

No profit = No innovation

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/co...
1 post removed
youll shoot your eye out

Bloomingdale, IN

#9 Feb 12, 2018
RustyS wrote:
With a friendly border, prescription drugs can flow south and illegal immigrants north. A win, win.
I hear Canada is lovely this time of year.
Newt G s Next Wife

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Feb 12, 2018
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>
And that’s the difference between and a ‘free market’ system driven by results for shareholders (America) and state negotiated prices in a system driven by plosives results for customers (The rest of the free world)
The picture is worse than that partial, factually flawed description. Congress specifically barred the US government via its agencies from negotiating the prices with pharma for drugs purchased for Medicare/Medicaid. It's the exact worst case scenario combination of "the market" and "state negotiated," and it's because of pharma lobbying on behalf of phrama profits.
Newt G s Next Wife

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Feb 12, 2018
Jackie wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do they have to be imported from Canada? Can't the cost of prescription drugs be lowered right here in the USA? I'm confused ; (
Normal people read the article to address their most basic questions. You never do. You always post that you're "confused." I think the problem goes far beyond mere confusion.
Jackie

Reading, PA

#12 Feb 12, 2018
Newt G s Next Wife wrote:
<quoted text>

Normal people read the article to address their most basic questions. You never do. You always post that you're "confused." I think the problem goes far beyond mere confusion.
I think you're confused.
Newt G s Next Wife

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Feb 12, 2018
Jackie wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're confused.
But you forgot to say in what way or about what I'm "confused," Jackie, you tiresome fool.
1 post removed
Jackie

Reading, PA

#15 Feb 12, 2018
Newt G s Next Wife wrote:
<quoted text>

But you forgot to say in what way or about what I'm "confused," Jackie, you tiresome fool.
No need to, your post explains why you're confused, less is more.
Jackie

Reading, PA

#16 Feb 12, 2018
Computer glich again, my post doesn't show.
1 post removed
Newt G s Next Wife

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Feb 13, 2018
Jackie wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to, your post explains why you're confused, less is more.
No, you posted _you_ are confused right there at the start of the thread...the way you always don't read the article and then post how you're confused.

I'm not confused. i explained why the US pays so much more for pharma than Canada does, right in post 10.

I didn't say I'm confused. I said you're a tiresome jackie azz.
Used to be a democrat

Salem, MA

#19 Feb 13, 2018
Jackie wrote:
Why must so many things be Imported here in the USA? Do we make anything here anymore?
Food and x-rays as an example in my opinion can be made or done here.
We are the largest producer of food on the planet.
Used to be a democrat

Salem, MA

#20 Feb 13, 2018
Newt G s Next Wife wrote:
<quoted text>

No, you posted _you_ are confused right there at the start of the thread...the way you always don't read the article and then post how you're confused.

I'm not confused. i explained why the US pays so much more for pharma than Canada does, right in post 10.

I didn't say I'm confused. I said you're a tiresome jackie azz.
Would you two stop your bickering already? Just get a divorce.
1 post removed
Christsharian Law

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Feb 13, 2018
Used to be a democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you two stop your bickering already? Just get a divorce.
Why don't you engage with her little act of being "confused" and explain to her why pharma is cheaper in Canada?

(I already did that in post 10, btw, moron.)
Used to be a democrat

Salem, MA

#23 Feb 14, 2018
Christsharian Law wrote:
<quoted text>

Why don't you engage with her little act of being "confused" and explain to her why pharma is cheaper in Canada?

(I already did that in post 10, btw, moron.)
its cheaper, because new and better drugs in the states are protected by the government from copy cat drugs that are not safe, and it allows for the inventors to recover the research costs.
This is why America is the leader in health care world wide, albeit, Obama care has set us back.

Any other questions moron?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Incognito4Ever 1,858,110
News Republicans face renewed pressure on Mueller pr... 5 min Spocko 17
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 5 min Xqz 11,420
News Trump calls on Florida Democrat to concede, imp... 6 min Spocko 13
News Police Arrest 51 Activists Demanding Climate Ac... 10 min Paper Towel Free ... 5
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 13 min Aura Mytha 115,125
News Trump sparks California wildfires debate on cle... 14 min OccupyThis 122