Romney 'bet against America,

Romney 'bet against America,

There are 1233 comments on the The Washington Post story from Jul 8, 2012, titled Romney 'bet against America,. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley on Sunday lambasted Mitt Romney for his Swiss bank account and other overseas financial activities, saying the presumptive Republican presidential nominee had "bet against America." "I've never known a Swiss bank account to build an American bridge, a Swiss bank account to create American jobs or Swiss bank accounts to ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: Mar 12

Puyallup, WA

#424 Jul 11, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>Never claimed it was tax evasion... As a candidate for President he needs to disclose all his income, not just his US held assets.. Its kind of the law...
Follow your thread back; you wrote you wanted Romney to disclose his tax information, that would be IRS reported documents, in an effort to identify any hidden or unreported assets.

My comment to you was that none of those assets will ever show up on IRS documents. That's why they are hidden assets. IRS documents will not reveal Romney hiding anything but to suggest that he has something to hide because money he earned and paid taxes on legally is put into foreign holdings is just an attempt to smear Romney.

Puyallup, WA

#425 Jul 11, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Call us when Obama does, and his school and travel records.
Obama will never reveal his educational records.

Puyallup, WA

#426 Jul 11, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
<quoted text>Swiss Mitt LOL

"Mysteries also arise when one looks at Romney’s individual retirement account at Bain Capital. When Romney was there, from 1984 to 1999, taxpayers were allowed to put just $2,000 per year into an I.R.A., and $30,000 annually into a different kind of plan he may have used.

Given these annual contribution ceilings, how can his I.R.A. possibly contain up to $102 million, as his financial disclosures now suggest?"

MJ
Big deal you do realise you can contribute to more than one IRA don't you?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#427 Jul 11, 2012
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Looks like Romney is a Tax Cheat with no loyalty to America and our legal system.
... EDITED ...
It appears as though Democratic National Committee Chairperson Debbie Wasserman Schultz, is the same type of: "Tax Cheat with no loyalty to America and our legal system", she's not releasing her records either…

Why I wonder?

Financial records disclosed from previous years show:
WeeklyStandard wrote:
“Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a member of Congress from Florida, previously held funds with investments in Swiss banks, foreign drug companies, and the state bank of India. This revelation comes mere days after the Democratic chair attacked presumptive Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for holding money in Swiss bank accounts…
…
[1] But disclosure forms reveal that in 2010, Wasserman Schultz invested between $1,001-$15,000 in a 401k retirement fund run by Davis Financial Fund. As the fund discloses, it is invested in the Julius Baer Group Ltd. and the State Bank of India GDR Ltd., as well as other financial, insurance, bank institutions.
…
[2]Similarly, according to disclosure forms from 2004, Wasserman Schultz had holdings in the Fidelity Advisor Overseas Fund. That fund is invested in HSBC bank (a British financial institution), Hengdeli Holdings (a Hong Kong watch company), Novo Nordisk (a Danish drug company), Volkswagen (a German auto company), Rakuten (a Japanese shipping business), Richemont Cie Financiere (a Swiss luxury goods company), and many others.

"The Julius Baer Group is the leading Swiss private banking group, focusing exclusively on the demands of sophisticated private clients,
”
http://www.weeklystandard.com/keyword/Debbie-...

Of course this isn’t something one is liable to hear a lot about from other news outlets, FOX news maybe, but I doubt it even gets a mention on most other networks.

Just sayin'

[1] http://pfds.opensecrets.org/N00026106_2004.pd...

[2] http://pfds.opensecrets.org/N00026106_2004.pd...

Location hidden

#428 Jul 11, 2012
The Republican wrote:
<quoted text>Reuters/Ipsos 7/5 - 7/9 885 RV 3.4 49 43 Obama +6
CNN/Opinion Research 6/28 - 7/1 1390 RV 2.5 49 46 Obama +3
Newsweek/Daily Beast 6/28 - 6/28 600 LV 4.0 47 44 Obama +3
Democracy Corps (D) 6/23 - 6/27 1000 LV 3.1 49 46 Obama +3
FOX News 6/24 - 6/26 912 RV 3.0 45 40 Obama +5
... EDITED ...
USAToday wrote:
(Jul 09, 2012)
“Poll: Majority say Obama has made things worse”
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theov...
ABC News wrote:
(June 8, 2012)“President Obama said today that the "private sector is doing fine" as the U.S. economy recovers from recession…
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president...
LATimes wrote:
(June 28, 2012)“City of Stockton declares bankruptcy”
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bankr...
LATimes wrote:
(July 2, 2012)“Mammoth Lakes files for bankruptcy”
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07...
LATimes wrote:
(July 12, 2012)“San Bernardino bankruptcy: Only $150,000 left in bank accounts”
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07...
MSNBC wrote:
(July 11, 2012):
“About 400 municipal workers are now earning minimum wage because Scranton, Pa., faces $16 million in red ink. Scranton is just one of several struggling cities around the country grappling with budget deficits and searching for ways to bring in more money.”
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07...

One might safely offer conjecture that by the time election day rolls around in November, those numbers night change a bit…

Puyallup, WA

#429 Jul 11, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
<quoted text>Add another Romney Me-Me-Me policy he wants to implement.

1. Constitutional Amendment making it illegal for anyone not a businessman to be POTUS.

2. Elimination of the estate tax...the Romney sons' wet dream.

3. Elimination of income taxes on the first $200,000.00 of INVESTMENT income.

4. Reduction or elimination of corporate and millionaire/billionaire income taxes.

5. All of this paid for by eliminating Medicare and Social Security.

How does any middle class Republiscum voter support this garbage?
This is the problem with America's confiscatory tax code and why raising taxes doesn't increase revenue into the federal government.

Raising taxes just makes liberals feel good that they're getting back at some rich successful person.

If anything Romney highlights the problem with America's confiscatory tax code and that disconnect between higher tax rates and reduced revenue.

It's a fact that if you want less of something than increase taxes on it. If you want more of something reduce taxes on it.

Obama is an idiot that would go bankrupt if he ever tried to run a business.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#430 Jul 11, 2012
Kolyma wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the problem with America's confiscatory tax code and why raising taxes doesn't increase revenue into the federal government.
Raising taxes just makes liberals feel good that they're getting back at some rich successful person.
If anything Romney highlights the problem with America's confiscatory tax code and that disconnect between higher tax rates and reduced revenue.
It's a fact that if you want less of something than increase taxes on it. If you want more of something reduce taxes on it.
Obama is an idiot that would go bankrupt if he ever tried to run a business.
So by your reasoning, if we abolish all taxes the deficit will disappear. Shit, I'll be a billionaire, won't I?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#431 Jul 11, 2012
Reid and Senate dems have enough votes to extend Mid Class Tax Cuts and end Bush Wealthy Tax Cuts.

IF, IF, Republicans don't Fillibuster.
We already know that they will. Middle class is not the top of their agenda.

Puyallup, WA

#432 Jul 11, 2012
How pathetic is it to be condemning any one who has the money to invest in overseas interests.

Those investments of Romney's come back to America in many different ways, but as usual the liberal with his limited foresight and comprehension of economics only sees his own petty failings and figures that since he cheats everyone must cheat.

Romney's overseas investment instruments are legal and healthy to the economic stability of those foreign countries that we in America rely on.

Liberals can't stand it when anyone is succesful,

Location hidden

#433 Jul 11, 2012
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>
If Romney has nothing to hide, then why not?
That's odd, I remember someone else asking that same question about President Obama and Eric Holder on another thread here on TOPIX... I thinnk it had something to do with 'Fast and Furious'...

Kind of thought provoking - isn't it?

Romney will release the paper work necessary and required by federal law - or he won't be eligible to run for President... pure and simple.

President Obama might 'think' he is some kind of all-powerful dictator that can make demands of anyone and everyone... but he isn't - yet.

This is just another deliberate snow-job al a’ Wizard of Oz… where there is a great deal of roaring and fireworks going on for everyone to see, but we’re supposed to:“Ignore the man behind the curtain…” pulling all the strings ~

Why has President Obama used the powers of the President to seal so many of his personal records?

Why was it necessary for President Obama to invoke “Executive Privilege” to seal the ‘Fast and Furious’ documents?

Why Is It No One Asks Those Questions – when they claim Romney is “hiding” something?

Location hidden

#434 Jul 11, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Romney's motto, at Bain Capital was...."Your one stop shop, for your outsourcing needs"......
That might have "been" Romney's motto at Bain - doing the same thing that just about every company in America is doing, including Obama's beloved General Electric... but that was nearly 10-years ago.

It's a good thing Romney is no longer using it because President Obama has a clear and present need for that slogan now ~

Location hidden

#435 Jul 11, 2012
In case we forget.

Statement from Campaign Manager Jim Messina — Press Releases ...
www.barackobama.com/press/release/Statement-f... ...

Apr 5, 2012 ...“Governor Romney provided 23 years worth of tax returns to the McCain campaign so they could determine if he would make a suitable Vice ...

Location hidden

#436 Jul 11, 2012
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Merrill Lynch putting your retirement funds in offshore interest bearing accounts is NOT the same as hiding your assets to avoid taxes.
Can you 'prove' Romney is putting money into offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes on it?

I THOUGHT NOT...

Just another 'follower' parroting the populist party propaganda line, without anything to back it up ~
1 post removed

Location hidden

#438 Jul 11, 2012
'Barack Obama - The Story,' by David Maraniss - The ...
www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/books/barack-obama... ...

Jun 4, 2012 ... Mr. Maraniss's enterprising new book,“Barack Obama: The Story”— which ends with its hero heading off for Harvard Law School in 1988 ...

Location hidden

#439 Jul 11, 2012
Don-N-Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you 'prove' Romney is putting money into offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes on it?
I THOUGHT NOT...
Just another 'follower' parroting the populist party propaganda line, without anything to back it up ~
Well we coud ask Senator McCain, because he saw 23 years worth of taxes in 08, but he couldn't remember how many housed he has so probably doesn't remember that either.
If all is on the up and up, what is the problem?
We could prove it if he SHOWS them, hey?

Location hidden

#440 Jul 11, 2012
Don-N-Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
I THOUGHT NOT...
Can you prove he is not? Can he?

Location hidden

#441 Jul 11, 2012
Don-N-Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
I THOUGHT NOT...
Read my above posts. There is plenty to back it up if someone REALLY wants to know.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#442 Jul 11, 2012
Don-N-Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
I THOUGHT NOT...
Is there another reason?
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#443 Jul 11, 2012
All the working middle class that have savings should move their money to a foreign bank account.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

United States

#444 Jul 11, 2012
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Is there another reason?
So is Obama avoiding taxes with his 2 overseas accounts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Go TRUMP 239,709
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 6 min Frankie Rizzo 16,023
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min woodtick57 1,419,684
News Republicans outraged over reported delay of Cli... 7 min Go Blue Forever 28
News FDA expands Zika screening to all US blood centers 10 min Patriot 1
News News 14 Mins Ago Trump rebukes racism claims as... 11 min Trump stank 113
News No, online polls dona t show a hidden Donald Tr... 12 min Le Jimbo 89
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 23 min Sharrp Shooter 393,345
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 27 min woodtick57 7,919
News Who is the real 'racist,' Clinton or Trump? Thi... 28 min too much 88
More from around the web