Italian court reinstates Amanda Knox'...

Italian court reinstates Amanda Knox's murder conviction; long extradition fight is likely

There are 55 comments on the Ottawa Citizen story from Jan 30, 2014, titled Italian court reinstates Amanda Knox's murder conviction; long extradition fight is likely. In it, Ottawa Citizen reports that:

More than two years after Amanda Knox returned to the U.S. apparently home free, an Italian court Thursday reinstated her murder conviction in the stabbing of her roommate and increased her sentence to 28 1/2 years in prison, raising the spectre of a long extradition fight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ottawa Citizen.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#1 Jan 30, 2014
I think she was at the murder. How much she actually participated is another matter. Regardless she's basically been tried 3 times at this point. I heard it used to be the US ignored extradition requests from countries that tried a US citizen twice for the same crime.

But now in the day of the current administration's desire to honor international treaties more than US law you don't know how the extradition will go.

obama-doj-claims-international -treaties-trump-the-u-s-consti tution
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#2 Jan 30, 2014
Incomplete link. Apologies. Here is full link.

http://www.tpnn.com/2013/10/31/obama-doj-clai...
SOLLECITO

United States

#3 Jan 31, 2014
Amanda Knox it wasn,t never innocente,but at least the US government shouldn,t let her go outside US,she deserves to live free,and because im Italian origine I disagree and I know that if Amanda knox if her extradition will be successfully to ITALY she will never return back.So save her life because at least she is a US citizen and the US Authorities have obligation to protect each American citizen life GOD BLESS AMERICA AND IT,S JUSTICE.
Cordwainer Trout

Campbellsville, KY

#4 Jan 31, 2014
Allowing the Liberal Leftists in America falling for the whiny rationale of a family to intervene in Italian courts and allow this druggy, murdering tramp to flee justice there is an abomination. Murdering American Leftists interfered in Italian courts is all that will be remembered.

The evidence Knox herself gave the police prior to her first trial confirms she is a murderer. Blood guilt is something even Obama has no right to avoid, nor deny.
1 post removed
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#6 Jan 31, 2014
This case will come down to the US Constitution vs International Treaties pure and simple.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/us-...

Will government officials honor the Italian court system & extradition treaty under the premise they want them to honor ours.

I can't help but think Knox was involved in some way but there is reasonable doubt & basically three trials-Italian appeals apparently allow more than legal oversight they allow evidence reviews which is a retrial. I think THE culprit or actual stabber was caught-the bartender.

Another issue could be the US vs England. Will the British murder victims parents have the British Prime Minister or Embassy file appeals with the US for "justice". It's basically the US vs Europe at this point.
lamer

Hamilton, OH

#7 Jan 31, 2014
She's not going anywhere. You had your shot Italy.
incredulous

Carmel, IN

#8 Jan 31, 2014
sheepleloveroyalty wrote:
I think she was at the murder. How much she actually participated is another matter. Regardless she's basically been tried 3 times at this point. I heard it used to be the US ignored extradition requests from countries that tried a US citizen twice for the same crime.
But now in the day of the current administration's desire to honor international treaties more than US law you don't know how the extradition will go.
obama-doj-claims-international -treaties-trump-the-u-s-consti tution
I'll admit that I don't many details about this case except that I don't think she was involved except having the association with a murdering drug dealer. This is what happens when you hang around the wrong people. I suspect she was a partier and an inconsiderate messy roommate. She was probably very irresponsible and there were frequent arguments between the two girls. They got very high and probably couldn't recall the night. Guedde probably tried to have sex with the roomate and she refused so he killed her. Maybe she said she was going to turn him into the authorities.

Knox's inexperience with the law was her demise. She had no concern whatsoever that she could be in trouble for something she didn't do. She had no one to represent her and protect her from immature self. She probably made the Italian police angry with her disrespect and it turned on her.
1 post removed
umm

Toronto, Canada

#10 Jan 31, 2014
Kercher murder: Sollecito found near Austria border
Italian police have found Raffaele Sollecito near the Austrian border after a court reinstated his guilty verdict for the murder of Briton Meredith Kercher in 2007.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-259783...

Why US might send Amanda Knox back to Italy if she loses appeal
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/31/22...
Nicknat

Toronto, Canada

#11 Jan 31, 2014
incredulous wrote:
<quoted text>I'll admit that I don't many details about this case except that I don't think she was involved except having the association with a murdering drug dealer. This is what happens when you hang around the wrong people. I suspect she was a partier and an inconsiderate messy roommate. She was probably very irresponsible and there were frequent arguments between the two girls. They got very high and probably couldn't recall the night. Guedde probably tried to have sex with the roomate and she refused so he killed her. Maybe she said she was going to turn him into the authorities.
Knox's inexperience with the law was her demise. She had no concern whatsoever that she could be in trouble for something she didn't do. She had no one to represent her and protect her from immature self. She probably made the Italian police angry with her disrespect and it turned on her.
Her many not credible versions for an alibi made the authorities doubt her from the start. Her knowledge of things she could not have known unless she was there got her convicted. Her lies got her convicted on the other charge as she made the mistake of accusing the black man she worked for. Proven liar got what was due. Italy did it right. US will to, she will be shipped back if her final appeal fails. In the interim, perhaps a movie, another book, some paid for appearances and some more donations. Could prove lucrative until she is put in prison.
Sollecito

United States

#12 Feb 1, 2014
Ok but please give to Amanda knox a second chance,she might not be 100%guilty,she needs to be free because at least it was the Italian court that set her free,I hope that Amanda knox will never extradited,Fine.
Sollecito

United States

#13 Feb 1, 2014
PERSONALMENTE CREDO NELLA GIUSTIZIA MA AMANDA KNOX E SOLO UNA VITTIMA INNOCENTE
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#14 Feb 1, 2014
Nicknat wrote:
<quoted text>Her many not credible versions for an alibi made the authorities doubt her from the start. Her knowledge of things she could not have known unless she was there got her convicted. Her lies got her convicted on the other charge as she made the mistake of accusing the black man she worked for. Proven liar got what was due. Italy did it right. US will to, she will be shipped back if her final appeal fails. In the interim, perhaps a movie, another book, some paid for appearances and some more donations. Could prove lucrative until she is put in prison.
I don't know how good her Italian was/is but didn't they make her sign confessions and statements written in Italian. It's one thing to speak a foreign language on a casual greeting type basis but it is another to understand legal and physically descriptive terms that many can't articulate in their own language.

Was she complicit in some way-probably. Did she participate in the physical act? I don't think so.

One last note, I heard there is now a theory going around that this Rudy bartender guy was a police informant who was told to be released on another criminal act/charge and the Italians are trying to cover up the embarrassment of not only letting a murder go but that he actually worked for them. This is why they seem to be looking for scapegoats. Just a theory. I'm sure the Knox camp floated a lot of theories some legit from true believers and others pure misdirects.
Nicknat

Toronto, Canada

#15 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't know how good her Italian was/is but didn't they make her sign confessions and statements written in Italian. It's one thing to speak a foreign language on a casual greeting type basis but it is another to understand legal and physically descriptive terms that many can't articulate in their own language.
Was she complicit in some way-probably. Did she participate in the physical act? I don't think so.
One last note, I heard there is now a theory going around that this Rudy bartender guy was a police informant who was told to be released on another criminal act/charge and the Italians are trying to cover up the embarrassment of not only letting a murder go but that he actually worked for them. This is why they seem to be looking for scapegoats. Just a theory. I'm sure the Knox camp floated a lot of theories some legit from true believers and others pure misdirects.
Language has not bean a credible barrier in Italy for about two decades. English is the language of the internet and has been embraced throughout most of Europe. I spend significant time in Italy every year and in the rest or Europe as well. Using communication as a defence just does not cut it. there were interpreters!
sheepleloveroyal ty

Pottstown, PA

#16 Feb 1, 2014
Nicknat wrote:
<quoted text>Language has not bean a credible barrier in Italy for about two decades. English is the language of the internet and has been embraced throughout most of Europe. I spend significant time in Italy every year and in the rest or Europe as well. Using communication as a defence just does not cut it. there were interpreters!
Unless there was a gun to my head(which is quite possible in these countries) I would never sign a confession written in a foreign language unless the English translation was on the same page/sheet of paper. And was the translator from the police or Embassy/state department?
Nicknat

Toronto, Canada

#17 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Unless there was a gun to my head(which is quite possible in these countries) I would never sign a confession written in a foreign language unless the English translation was on the same page/sheet of paper. And was the translator from the police or Embassy/state department?
Are you suggesting that America failed AK? I don't get it. Communicating" I do not Understand is not difficult in Italy". Ak has one difficulty, that is the truth.
Nicknat

Toronto, Canada

#18 Feb 1, 2014
Just a reminder, Italy was civilized before America. They do not put guns to the head of suspects. You have no shame. That suggestion...well leaves radian all people speechless.
Sollecito

United States

#19 Feb 1, 2014
Sei sicuro che Amanda knox e un assassino?NESSUNA PROVA NON E FORNITA,, QUINDI CERCARE L'assassino con I fatti e non paroleit
NoWayFastEddie

Pottstown, PA

#20 Feb 1, 2014
Nicknat wrote:
Just a reminder, Italy was civilized before America. They do not put guns to the head of suspects. You have no shame. That suggestion...well leaves radian all people speechless.
Is that why the judges wear those nifty costumes or robes to maintain tradition? Is that the same 'civilized' nation that produced Mussolini? A civilized nation aids and abets child molestors?

You right they didn't put a gun to Knox,s head they just gave her repeated head slaps. To 'help her remember'.
Nicknat

London, Canada

#21 Feb 1, 2014
NoWayFastEddie wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why the judges wear those nifty costumes or robes to maintain tradition? Is that the same 'civilized' nation that produced Mussolini? A civilized nation aids and abets child molestors?
You right they didn't put a gun to Knox,s head they just gave her repeated head slaps. To 'help her remember'.
Torture? How does one respond to that. Sure beats language barrier. I read your words and see Anita Bryant and it scarry.
Nicknat

London, Canada

#22 Feb 1, 2014
NoWayFastEddie wrote:
<quoted text>
When you speak of Italy that way it just makes my heart melt. You say the most romanic things Fast Eddie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min Tre H 13,976
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Hidingfromyou 42,597
News Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should've resigned ove... 16 min too much 157
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 16 min Katrina 310
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min Jacques Ottawa 1,643,990
News Trump's lack of moral compass leaves America on... 27 min Trump is a joke 982
News Trump all but endorses GOP's Moore despite sex ... 30 min NotSoDivineMsM 80
More from around the web