What the 2012 election taught us

What the 2012 election taught us

There are 10317 comments on the The Washington Post story from Nov 6, 2012, titled What the 2012 election taught us. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3462 Nov 27, 2012
The lesson to all citizens is that like Greece, he wants deeming authority.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#3463 Nov 27, 2012
Even if you stole all the RICH peoples wealth, You could only fund our over reaching over spending liberal government for 22 days.

What we need is entitlement REFORM

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3464 Nov 27, 2012
Ninja Cat Says wrote:
<quoted text>
Ninja Cat says, "You are getting OWNED!!!!"
Lary Wolf Says, "You are getting SPAYED!!!!"
lol

Farmington, MO

#3465 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure where you get this idea that the wealthy has received all the benefits of economic growth and the middle class have not. Sounds like class envy to me.

The cost of living has risen because dual income households are the norm which means spending power has risen dramatically. At one point, a household had a single wage earner which meant those dirty republicans were the only folks who could go to the country club and play golf on Saturday. A doctor or business owner made $150,000 and the average white collar worker would make $40,000. Huge difference in spending power. So the class envy raged on with hatred towards the country club crowd vs the rest of society. The media loved portraying this great divide in their Hollywood flicks. In the 70's women entered the workforce with a gusto and now they could compete with the country club crowd. Dual income families could now live life like the country club crowd. Then divorce began to increase, sending women in particular further backwards. Many relying on the govt. for handouts because their deadbeat husbands wouldn't pay the freight to raise his kids.

So, it's not republican policies that have caused the great divide, it's the very people who are complaining the most. It sounds as though you have swallowed the liberal elite's propaganda because in order to gain financial success, you have to work your azz off. You have to scrimp and save and not take vacations. You have to work 7 days and wish there was an 8th. You have to work hard in school and take advantage of all that is available....and there is more than enough opportunity.

If you are upset about the mega corps who are snuggling up to oscama, you better talk to your liberal elite handlers.They are behind all this corp welfare. THEY are responsible for this, not the republicans. Republicans are all about the middle class....all about the folks who built this country and made it great.

Libs have spent decades portraying Republicans as uncaring country club elites when in fact it's the libs who have perfected this lifestyle of the rich and famous. They will have 'benefit concerts', tell jokes about conservatives on tv, have talk shows and scam the public about those wicked conservatives, direct movies about the greedy rich when in fact HOllywood is really the greedy rich who have exploited the stupid for decades.
You make me lol!

You really think this debate is about "the country club crowd"?

We used to just call them the yuppies, they are not even close to the 1%.

And most of the country club crowds fall into the under 250k category, let alone the 500k plus category. Dual income or not.

Even Augusta can't boast that more than 1% of their clubbies, fit in that category.

You are the reason that conservatives get made fun of around this country and others. It's the narrowness of the mind, that we find irresistibly amusing!

Since: Jul 12

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3466 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>Oh really? Republicans want govt. out. They didn't want social security but the govt. went forward and has stolen from their paychecks for decades. They don't have options for health care when they reach a certain age because govt. insists they rely on it for assistance. Republicans never wanted it but they have been forced to pay for this program as well. Libs are a stupid bunch because they actually think these programs they forced on Americans suddenly make gimmes out of those who never wanted it. It's like those losers who have kids and then don't want to support them.
And when oscumma moves his commie healthcare plan through, those republicans become gimmes too? Of course they are in your mind. Keep in mind, there are people who are not influenced by the liberal media and their backwards ideology.
So tell me, support your statement that 'half of those gimmees are staunch republicans'. Hahahahaha.
So where are the Republicans calling for the end of farm subsidies? Oil subsidies? Preferential tax treatment for Hedge fund managers?

They don't want government out. They lied to you.

We did not have Medicare in 1960, but we did in 1965 thanks to the Republicans who supported it in true bipartisan fashion.

Libs may be stupid, but you have the unique ability to make them look really, really intelligent. Almost like Einsteins compared to you.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3467 Nov 27, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax all income as earned income, regardless of source.
Increase taxes on the rich, those earning $250K or more per year.
They may not be "super" rich, but they are in the top 5% or so. Now if you want to argue that does not make them rich I will be happy to agree with your assessment of income stratification in this country. The last time we solved that problem it was with a 90% punitive income tax rate.
This is NOT rich. These people are our professionals and business owners. These are the people who are job creators, community supporters and economic stimulators. It is a class envy tax by those who feel they are entitled to their money.

I say reduce the spending as there is more than enough money that is wasted. We could take equally from every department and balance the budget. For starters, we reduce the salaries of all elected officials, including oscumma. The liar in chief could begin by releasing his school records and Trump could fund a program to help the poor with millions.

BTW: If increased taxes are too much for you to handle, why do you think the top 5% can handle it any more? Their expenses are in the top 5% so in essence they would be hit in the same negative fashion. So it appears this is all about class warfare and envy which will impact our rock slide economy even more. Pathetic, really.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3468 Nov 27, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>The post above starts out the war on women. Does that help clarify the post? You seem to have a short memory, I hope that is all.
You should have read more of his post. I commented about the Republcian war on women. He countered my post. He is on the same side as you.

The war on women exists and it is a Republican waged war.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3469 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure where you get this idea that the wealthy has received all the benefits of economic growth and the middle class have not. Sounds like class envy to me......
All you have to do is compare in percentage terms wage and asset growth at the top, particularly the top 0.1% and the rest of us.

It rapidly becomes apparent.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3470 Nov 27, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, however defining the "rich" that way would be to say the Walton Heirs are not rich. Want to try that again? And you are correct, Facts are Fun!
You are the one that was usin Gates and Buffet as examples.

if you want to just tlk about people whho are wealthy, not SUPER wealthy, my point is even more obvious. many many people make it there frm modest backrounds in today's US. Again, it just takes the will to act on your opportunities. it will not happen trough your TV remote...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3471 Nov 27, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax all income as earned income, regardless of source.
Increase taxes on the rich, those earning $250K or more per year.
They may not be "super" rich, but they are in the top 5% or so. Now if you want to argue that does not make them rich I will be happy to agree with your assessment of income stratification in this country. The last time we solved that problem it was with a 90% punitive income tax rate.
why would you want to stifle investment in our economy?

no one ever paid 90% tax on their income and you know it. they paid that on the last upper bit of their TAXABLE income, which was pretty small after all the deductions available at that time.

facts are fun!

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3472 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>When you have a controlling govt. dictating and stealing from the hardworking folks, you will not have many who will prosper. An overreaching centralized power is not suitable for a free society which is why our country is in a free fall.
Govt. freebies sedate the masses and mobility slows to a near standstill. Don't believe me? Look at what happens when you feed wild animals from birth? They don't know how to survive on their own. They have to remain captive their entire lives. Every once in a while, the keepers will be able to release a few.....kind of like our welfare system.
I'm not sure what exactly your expectations are for 'moving up in the world'. Do you think the poor should be provided for at the expense of the successful? Should the successful be demoted in order to bring up the poor? If so, why? This concept has failed over and over. Human beings do not function at their best when caged and controlled. Didn't you know that?
The Native Americans are a perfect example. These were a free people who had their own small govts. and roamed the land with little restriction. They were conquered by a technologically superior society and 'provided for' with govt. aid. It didn't work out well as the welfare was not only sedating, it led the people to escape in drugs and alcohol which is much like the modern day ghetto.
Even fewer move up with less government. The only time more moved up with less government was when there was nothing here and land was free.

Indians never really had initiative to begin with. They were happy with their hunter/gatherer existence and had no interest in the white man's world. The Indians are every bit as excellent an example as the slaves who we all know wish they had remained that way right to this day.

Why does Europe have Democratic Republics instead of Kings? After all, wasn't the King responsible for all his people and now they have to be responsible for themselves? Why does Europe have greater upward mobility that the United States does? After all, don't they have even larger, more intrusive governments?
Da Prez

Newport News, VA

#3473 Nov 27, 2012
President Morsi can you send me your note/plan outline. I'll need that within the next 4 years.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3474 Nov 27, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
You make me lol!
You really think this debate is about "the country club crowd"?
We used to just call them the yuppies, they are not even close to the 1%.
And most of the country club crowds fall into the under 250k category, let alone the 500k plus category. Dual income or not.
Even Augusta can't boast that more than 1% of their clubbies, fit in that category.
You are the reason that conservatives get made fun of around this country and others. It's the narrowness of the mind, that we find irresistibly amusing!
Your ignorance astounds me because you have little understanding of who makes $250,000 and above. Your class envy is ugly and shows how little you know. This amount is only a typicial upper middle class wage of dual income earners, business owners, doctors, attorneys, CPAs, managers, school superintendents, investors, chemists, biologists, inventors, college department heads, etc. If you live in a big city or on either coast, this amount isn't even close to being 'rich'. Obviously, you don't make much and are angry about it to the point you feel you have the right to steal it from them via taxes and govt interference.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3475 Nov 27, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
Even if you stole all the RICH peoples wealth, You could only fund our over reaching over spending liberal government for 22 days.
What we need is entitlement REFORM
What we need is to end SS and Medicare today, not tomorrow.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3476 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text> This is NOT rich. These people are our professionals and business owners. These are the people who are job creators, community supporters and economic stimulators. It is a class envy tax by those who feel they are entitled to their money.
I say reduce the spending as there is more than enough money that is wasted. We could take equally from every department and balance the budget. For starters, we reduce the salaries of all elected officials, including oscumma. The liar in chief could begin by releasing his school records and Trump could fund a program to help the poor with millions.
BTW: If increased taxes are too much for you to handle, why do you think the top 5% can handle it any more? Their expenses are in the top 5% so in essence they would be hit in the same negative fashion. So it appears this is all about class warfare and envy which will impact our rock slide economy even more. Pathetic, really.
rich is comparative. Anyone making $250K and live comfortably in a middle class lifestyle and save $100K/year. In 30 years they should have saved up close to $8 MIL. Someone living on $75K ain't even going to come close.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3477 Nov 27, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why would you want to stifle investment in our economy?
no one ever paid 90% tax on their income and you know it. they paid that on the last upper bit of their TAXABLE income, which was pretty small after all the deductions available at that time.
facts are fun!
There are business owners who pay 35-40% on their income after the so called right offs. That's a lot of money that I don't think should go to the govt who wastes money like a drunk on a rigged slot machine.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3478 Nov 27, 2012
so here's a question for you libs....with more and more people going on welfare, and fewer and fewer people paying taxes, is that good, or bad?
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3479 Nov 27, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
What we need is to end SS and Medicare today, not tomorrow.
oscumma will never let that happen because he is developing his commie program which will round up the aging and place them under complete govt. control who will ultimately dictate their untimely deaths.(Naturally, the liberal elite will be exempt )

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3480 Nov 27, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text> This is NOT rich. These people are our professionals and business owners. These are the people who are job creators, community supporters and economic stimulators. It is a class envy tax by those who feel they are entitled to their money.
Lets raise taxes for the top 10% then. That includes me. When I said tax all income as earned income, that would effect me. Why do you think I am a Republican trying to protect my own interests at the cost of our country?

There are two groups of millionaires. One group wants to raise taxes on themselves - a form of self sacrifice showing that they too are dedicated to the nation.

The other group wants the same or even lower taxes than they pay now. No self sacrifice and we already know they are not hiring.

Which group do you think has America's best interest at heart instead of the their own?
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3481 Nov 27, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
so here's a question for you libs....with more and more people going on welfare, and fewer and fewer people paying taxes, is that good, or bad?
Like the dumbazzes in Greece, they will never understand this. They will continue to scream for handouts as they plummet all the way to the bottom. The lazy and stupid will never recognize their mistakes even after they crash and burn. They will blame conservatives because they are the cause of all the woes in our society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump would deport children of illegal immigrants (Aug '15) 2 min Truth is might 694
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 8 min UIDIOTRACEMAkeWOR... 23,801
News Trump slams SNL again: "Totally biased," "unwat... 13 min Absentee Ballot 27
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 22 min Just call me ABE 2 253,242
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 54 min Brian_G 403,888
News Trump win casts pall of uncertainty over Asia 1 hr HANSENSPANISDAEGU... 50
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 62,318
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Susanm 1,458,593
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr Snap 216,714
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 3 hr TRUMP WINNERS 207
More from around the web