What the 2012 election taught us

What the 2012 election taught us

There are 10317 comments on the The Washington Post story from Nov 6, 2012, titled What the 2012 election taught us. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3315 Nov 26, 2012
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
At the time, the Soviet Unionís oil industry was a total mess. Equipment built by Western engineering firms was always breaking down or didnít work at all. Western engineers were constantly being accused of espionage or sabotage, real or imagined, and booted out of the country.
Plagiarize much?

Location hidden

#3316 Nov 26, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has the same opportunities??? In what world do you live???
Only the rich have opportunities, everyone else is screwed. Why do you think the rich got 100% of the growth of our nation over the past 30 years? Equal opportunity?? You must be insane to believe the lies from the rich.
There is almost no opportunity except for the very rich, with the exception that you might win the lottery. How many can win? 1 out of 200 million? that is the opportunity for the workers, while the rich get guaranteed returns on everything.
Wow...who's responsible for your indoctrination?

Anyway, what's your solution (I'm almost afraid to ask)?

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3317 Nov 26, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell me you azre turning into a "goof-ball" also? You were always one of the more sane Republicans.
On about the same note, on another thread there are some "birthers" telling some "truthers" that they are crazy.
are you saying reparations is good, or bad? I'm not following you....I didn't know there was a goofball category, just birthers and truthers and teabaggers.

actually, I'm thinking of changing teams, I'm tired of losing, I want to join the libs....I'll even start going to starbucks and chopping with a cloth bag, if that will get me in...I sure hate to have to start recycling though, that's too hard

Alpharetta, GA

#3318 Nov 26, 2012
shopping, not chopping

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3319 Nov 26, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has the same opportunities??? In what world do you live???
Only the rich have opportunities, everyone else is screwed. Why do you think the rich got 100% of the growth of our nation over the past 30 years? Equal opportunity?? You must be insane to believe the lies from the rich.
There is almost no opportunity except for the very rich, with the exception that you might win the lottery. How many can win? 1 out of 200 million? that is the opportunity for the workers, while the rich get guaranteed returns on everything.
yes they do. In the past thirty years i have personally seen many people go from poor families to making a very successful, and wealthy, life for themselves.

Your media soundbytes are not based in reality.

“Ignore the trolls”

London, UK

#3320 Nov 26, 2012
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, when your original question isn't clear.
Anyway, I'll answer both. 17 republican presidents have won with 50% or more of the popular vote. 4 have done it back to back.
Benjamin Disraeli wrote, "there are three kind of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics". I fear you are disembling here.

One can only refer to the popular vote once the population is allowed to vote. Given it was not until 1920 that women in the USA received the vote, results before that are not relevant to the point. It is questionable, given the electoral jiggery pokery in southern states towards Afro-American which was not rectified until 1964 with the 24th amendment, whether that should be the date. However, to avoid controversy, let us take 1920 as the fairest base line.

Since then, there have been 5 Republican Presidents and 3 Democratic ones who have won with a majority of the popular vote. Four managed back to back victories - FDR (1940 & 1944), Ike (1952 & 1956), Reagan (1980 & 1984) and Obama (2008 & 2012). You will notice the even split between parties.

In passing, the only president to have won the election whilst not just polling less than 50% of the popular vote, but polling less than his Democratic opponent was good ole George W in 2000.

As there have only been 17 Republican presidents since Lincoln (as the first one of the party), somehow I don't think your statistic can possibly be correct. But accuracy is not always your strongest suit, is it?

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Location hidden

#3321 Nov 26, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Given economic growth, unemployment, wage growth, the destruction of wealth and foreign events 3% is probably worth 10% at any other time.
Simply put, Obama's reelection puts him in the same category as FDR.........as far as retaining office in hard economic times.
The Republicans cannot hide from this fact given their economic arguments and emphasis on Benghazi and the Muslim Brotherhood going into election day.
That is a rather large projection considering that Obama was able to hide from his failures of the last four years. Of course when you have 90% of the media printing fabrications or not printing the stories at all and letting the public decide, that makes it more possible.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Location hidden

#3322 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
are you saying reparations is good, or bad? I'm not following you....I didn't know there was a goofball category, just birthers and truthers and teabaggers.
actually, I'm thinking of changing teams, I'm tired of losing, I want to join the libs....I'll even start going to starbucks and chopping with a cloth bag, if that will get me in...I sure hate to have to start recycling though, that's too hard
Well if it wasn't the fact you have to buy a prius and be ugly, I would think about it also, after all, I am half Cherokee.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#3323 Nov 26, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a rather large projection considering that Obama was able to hide from his failures of the last four years. Of course when you have 90% of the media printing fabrications or not printing the stories at all and letting the public decide, that makes it more possible.
lol! How would you know son unless it was printed?

Oh that's right.... you have your opinions instead!

“Ignore the trolls”

London, UK

#3324 Nov 26, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so the election taught you that it's the media fault the Republicans lost? Couldn't be anything to do with the failure of the Republican programme to appeal to the voters? Glad we've cleared that one up, for a minute I thought the GOP might have to re-assess its position to make itself electable.

Alpharetta, GA

#3325 Nov 26, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Well if it wasn't the fact you have to buy a prius and be ugly, I would think about it also, after all, I am half Cherokee.
I've got a red sports car, a no limit credit card, and a vasectomy, and so far, only ugly Dem women will speak to me.

Since: Jul 12

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3326 Nov 26, 2012
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, but who said people who work are lazy?
Part of the 47% who just want free stuff from the government.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3327 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Give a credible source where Obama is preaching for reparations.

I am all for reparations. Give them $50K, deport them and their family from the US to Liberia (a nation founded by the US for former slaves) and strip them of their US citizenship.

One time only offer.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3328 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
You recycle most of the time. You just don't think long-term. Practically everything came from the earth and it is returned there via the dump, Mt. Trashmore. You are preserving it for use by future generations as opposed to being re-used immediately.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3329 Nov 26, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes they do. In the past thirty years i have personally seen many people go from poor families to making a very successful, and wealthy, life for themselves.
Your media soundbytes are not based in reality.
Are you talking "poor" as in their standard of living when they were growing up was "poor" (uneducated parent(s) working menial jobs or not working)

OR

are you doing the normal Republican thing and talking about a well-off parents kid who ws so poor in college he had to sell stock that grew up to being financially successful.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3330 Nov 26, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
A nation that murders millions of it's own children in the womb does not deserve the "Grace of God".
No, I'd say Obama's election, and re-election, is more like a curse.
Your comments are the kind that have destroyed the Republican party. This nation has not 'murdered children' although kids delivered from the womb and living for around 18 years may end up getting murdered when obama gets the draft going. It's the only way he's going to cover the costs of his wars. You'll see.

Extremists have ruined the Republican party and I don't see how it will ever recover. A new party will emerge but it will take years before it can challenge the 'Beast'. A party that exists within the media is going to be very difficult to beat. Libs know how to manipulate and brainwash the stupid.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3331 Nov 26, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a distinct difference than saying "Mr. President, we tried your policies and they have not worked." and having people look at the "Party of NO!" as obstructionists.

While the Republicans were busy trying to deny President Obama any legistlative or policy victory people began seeing them as the problem instead of Obama. Combine that with no logical, cohesive answer to our problems and you have the seeds of defeat.

How much of the public is aware that the Republicans in the Senate have stopped more bills in two years than in the 50s, 60s and 70s combined? Where is your media reporting on that.

Who is really responsible for there being no budget passed? Where is the media reporting on that?
1 post removed

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3333 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a red sports car, a no limit credit card, and a vasectomy, and so far, only ugly Dem women will speak to me.
It might be Plumber's Butt Syndrome.
helper:)

Philadelphia, PA

#3334 Nov 26, 2012
La Santa Muerte wrote:
[QUOTE who="helper:)"]That a lot of people are racist! you should see how ppl on Obama & Romney Facebook pages are!"

Wow! You're kidding! There are still racists in America? How on Earth did Barack Hussein Obama get elected TWICE?
Wow! You're $tupid! No $hit there are still racists in America! First off you probably don't have a Facebook, so you don't see the conversations. What I meant was (so you will understand) if you read what the people are saying.'BLACK' and 'WHITE' people both are putting racist comments about both Obama and Romney on Facebook. Hopefully by me dumbing it down for you, you'll finally understand what I was saying :). Secondly get a life & don't troll. Okay! Thanks :)

Alpharetta, GA

#3335 Nov 26, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>It might be Plumber's Butt Syndrome.
PBS? I thought Nina Totenburg ran that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min TeaRump Idiots 1,375,898
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Coffee Party 213,319
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 4 min Time again 3,024
News Planned Parenthood sues Indiana for abortion law 6 min Lottery traitors 25
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 9 min True Judgment 658
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 10 min Cheech the Conser... 381,840
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min HILLARY 2016 223,194
More from around the web