Ohio Slipping Out Of Romney's Reach

Ohio Slipping Out Of Romney's Reach

There are 2840 comments on the ABC News story from Sep 26, 2012, titled Ohio Slipping Out Of Romney's Reach. In it, ABC News reports that:

OHIO NOW LEANS OBAMA: ABC News Political Director Amy Walter notes that today's New York Times-CBS News-Quinnipiac poll is the fourth non-partisan media poll in a row to show President Obama not only ahead by a significant margin, but at or above 50 percent of the vote.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3122 Dec 9, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>sad thing is that study is true you are better off on welfare because I was watching the news and they telling about all these jobs these companies have but only pay about 9 to 11 dollars and they cant get anyone to fill but I can see why but to me the republican back when the controlled house wanted to turn the welfare program into subsidy program for Businesses so they could pay lower wages and why it became welfare for work because they would be entitled to Welfare plus wages.
If you are on unemployment, it would be stupid for you to accept any job that paid less than $16.00 per hour. At one time, unemployment paid just enough to get by. Today, it's more or less a livable wage.

Studies show that the longer you are on unemployment, the more you are frowned upon by potential employers. If not for unemployment, people would be taking those $9.00 to $11.00 jobs. They would just have to work more hours until something better came along. I know I've done it several times in my life. But no. Let's extend unemployment benefits for up to 2 years instead.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3123 Dec 9, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
No real argument here. Things change, but if we fail to look after our neighbors and support them, then we all go down. Do you remember when their used to be vibrant black communities across the country? They had their own stores, various businesses and night clubs with great music. The powers that be destroyed many of those communities tearing them apart in the quest for urban renewal and development. It also happened to other neighbor hoods which abandoned mom and pop stores for malls and big chain stores. What happened to all the great toys we once had? I remember the days of great electric train layouts, beautiful dolls, and doll cribs. Nice die cast cars and trucks. Hand made doll houses and toy cowboys. Now what do kids have? A bunch of ugly plastic crap from China. We reap what we sow. We need good jobs here at home. It was once said that if one wants to be rich, then it is important to make another wealthy. The whole idea of penny pinching off the economy is pound wise and penny foolish. If you want the economy to grow, go out and spend your money.
You must be around my age, LOL!

When I was a kid, it was puzzles, rubber solders and a bag of marbles to roll them down with. Back then, if you weren't born a boy, you had nothing to play with for Christmas. LOL.

I don't recall thriving black communities. Of course, I live in the Cleveland area so maybe that's why. I do remember how the city went downhill after bussing came along. The people with money who had kids in the school system moved out of the city and into the suburbs or country. So when people with money head for higher grounds, the only people left are those with no money, and it has plagued cities for decades afterwords.

In our black communities, there are shootings almost every night--sometimes several a night. Along with those shootings comes a few fatalities every week. The federal governments big idea is to move those violent people into the suburbs and out of the city. But those people don't leave the city, the just move to the suburbs and bring the city with them. And of course, along with that comes the crime and violence. I've experienced this first hand.

Liberals and their social engineering. Never seems to work out very well. It just makes them look good for "trying" to do something.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3124 Dec 9, 2012
Blacktigershark wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's get away from God's will (as it was His will to educate the masses about their rights, and what evil Republicans would do to their rights if they got into power, so He urged them to educate themselves enough to go to the polls and vote for someone that will UPHOLD their rights, not strip them of their rights!)...America functions on democracy. The key word in the last sentence is FUNCTION! Ask yourself, how does America manage to function, xxxDougieHeffrayted? The way America FUNCTIONS is when PATRIOTIC AMERICANS come to terms with dealing with the government that has been assigned to them, and trying to work WITH that government...something that you obviously are NOT willing to do, and that is why you are not a TRUE American. You will bitch, whine and complain for four more years, including doing so on this thread, and likely longer WHEN the Republicans get voted out of Congress and The White House for the next 10 years!
When talking about criminals, you should be looking at this Romney character, that you believe is the edible strawberry that surfaced from sewage. Romney has dealt with shady corporate thieves, the SAME ones that nearly bankrupted the country in 2008, and of whom are now shaking in their boots, because the American government will be going through with FATCA in 2013, and we will be able to bring those thieves to task...and how much do you want to bet that Romney will be netted in the dragnet, DougHef? LOL!
You really don't understand this country, do you? We did not maintain our freedom by "giving in" to government. If anything, resisting government--especially with dictator types like DumBama is how you keep freedom.

Giving in to government is what they do in Cuba, North Korea, or China. That's not what we do here. Maybe you do it up there...... I don't know.

Let me leave you with a few quotes from our founders so you have a better idea of what I'm talking about:

"When people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of our Republic."
Benjamin Franklin

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger, on that article of the Constitution, that grants Congress the right, of expending on articles of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
James Madison

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3125 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we can, but at what cost?
Americans are not going to pay $1,400 for a big screen 3-D television made in the US. They will pay $900.00 for a foreign made big screen.
We were all led down this path that the big buck days would be here forever, and unions would only grow stronger. We thought that there would always be no-skill idiot jobs around. and that one could work those jobs and be able to support his or her family.
Those days are long gone. It's not that manufacturers won't pay labor a livable wage, it's that the consumers won't support it. We are all guilty of it too.
My father is a retired union bricklayer. He is all gun-ho about unions up to a point. He was over yesterday afternoon bragging on how he purchased a new cordless drill for $17.00. I then asked how many Americans did he think manufactured that drill he purchased? That question kind of took the wind out of his sail, but he soon rebounded bragging about the deal he got. He's at that age where he repeats himself a lot.
If I were the President of this country, I think I would be working on a law that all American made products have to be labeled by the manufacturer or the store. It would be large lettering that nobody could miss. Perhaps with an American flag or bald eagle or something. We don't look around to see where the product we are buying was made. We just look at the price. Half the time, we don't know where the product is made until you get home and open up the box.
Yea I see what you are saying. We are not really acting in our own self interest are we? I remember when we used to save up and buy what we really wanted or needed. Now people are less discerning. We want it all right now. We don't even care if it is any good or not. We don't care about our neighbors or our country either.

Location hidden

#3126 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are on unemployment, it would be stupid for you to accept any job that paid less than $16.00 per hour. At one time, unemployment paid just enough to get by. Today, it's more or less a livable wage.
Studies show that the longer you are on unemployment, the more you are frowned upon by potential employers. If not for unemployment, people would be taking those $9.00 to $11.00 jobs. They would just have to work more hours until something better came along. I know I've done it several times in my life. But no. Let's extend unemployment benefits for up to 2 years instead.
True. Local illegal imigrants work for $15-$20 per hour. People at Home Depot and WalMart work for $10 per hour. Who is doing better?

Location hidden

#3127 Dec 9, 2012
Illegals do work you need done. WalMart sells a bunch of consumer crap made in Chinese seat shops.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3128 Dec 9, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
Illegals do work you need done. WalMart sells a bunch of consumer crap made in Chinese seat shops.
Okay, but why does Wal-Mart do that?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3129 Dec 9, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea I see what you are saying. We are not really acting in our own self interest are we? I remember when we used to save up and buy what we really wanted or needed. Now people are less discerning. We want it all right now. We don't even care if it is any good or not. We don't care about our neighbors or our country either.
It's more than that. Unlike lets say 30 years ago, there is so much more to buy today.

Back then, you had a color television set, a car, and that's about it. Today, we have cable television, satellite TV, pay per view, NetFlix, VCR and DVD, cell phone, computer and programs, high speed internet, video games, big screen televisions.

If we want all of these things, then we need to get them as cheap as possible. There is just more things to spend money on today. Think of what you spend every month for cell phone service, cable television and internet today. Some families are well past $250.00 a month just for those things.

Now there is only so much left over. So we need to buy our other products cheap as hell.

I have to laugh come spring. Me and my elderly tenants open our windows, we go outside, we visit our other neighbors past the age of 50. My younger tenants? They stay inside year long. We were brought up to go outside and enjoy the nice weather. Younger people are encapsulated in their apartments because that's where all the entertainment is. The only time they come outside is to go to their cars.

Location hidden

#3130 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what your saying too, but I know people that could have a good paying job tomorrow but refuse to move and like I have told them I have done it which is why I dont feel sorry for them or anybody for that matter because there again they choose their employment conditions.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#3131 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, but why does Wal-Mart do that?
Because they don't have to educate them,take care of their medical needs,insure them,house them,feed them and incarcerate them on the tax payer dime.
They make a cheap product,and we buy the cheap product.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3132 Dec 9, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they don't have to educate them,take care of their medical needs,insure them,house them,feed them and incarcerate them on the tax payer dime.
They make a cheap product,and we buy the cheap product.
Absolutely incorrect. Wal-Mart does it because of consumer demand. We want the cheapest prices we can get and don't care how they accomplish that. Low starting wage, no benefits, slave labor products. It doesn't matter. Wal-Mart knows that as long as they stick with that business model, they will continue to be number one in America.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#3133 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely incorrect. Wal-Mart does it because of consumer demand. We want the cheapest prices we can get and don't care how they accomplish that. Low starting wage, no benefits, slave labor products. It doesn't matter. Wal-Mart knows that as long as they stick with that business model, they will continue to be number one in America.
What do you suggest as an alternative?
Follow a failed business model that nets a zero profit margin while all the risk is still attached?
Who does that,anywhere in the world?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3134 Dec 9, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you suggest as an alternative?
Follow a failed business model that nets a zero profit margin while all the risk is still attached?
Who does that,anywhere in the world?
That's my point. Why should Wal-Mart do anything differently than they do today? We are the market driver. Wal-Mart only panders to that market. They are doing nothing wrong--we are.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#3135 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my point. Why should Wal-Mart do anything differently than they do today? We are the market driver. Wal-Mart only panders to that market. They are doing nothing wrong--we are.
What will be the result of me paying $4.59 for a loaf of bread at stop&shop as opposed to spending .99 cents at Wal-Mart?

Location hidden

#3136 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
exactly we are the consumers that drive the US & China market, not Walmart they are nothing but a service provider or outlet for the China producers that create products that have use & monetary value which the United States has no more, and if we keep going the way were are here in the United States there wont be a market and the Federal Government cant keep subsidizing the Market by giving people welfare & welfare to work benefits to subsidize employers to keep the market going either.

Location hidden

#3137 Dec 9, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more than that. Unlike lets say 30 years ago, there is so much more to buy today.
Back then, you had a color television set, a car, and that's about it. Today, we have cable television, satellite TV, pay per view, NetFlix, VCR and DVD, cell phone, computer and programs, high speed internet, video games, big screen televisions.
If we want all of these things, then we need to get them as cheap as possible. There is just more things to spend money on today. Think of what you spend every month for cell phone service, cable television and internet today. Some families are well past $250.00 a month just for those things.
Now there is only so much left over. So we need to buy our other products cheap as hell.
I have to laugh come spring. Me and my elderly tenants open our windows, we go outside, we visit our other neighbors past the age of 50. My younger tenants? They stay inside year long. We were brought up to go outside and enjoy the nice weather. Younger people are encapsulated in their apartments because that's where all the entertainment is. The only time they come outside is to go to their cars.
So true, so true. We live in a consumer wasteland don't we.

Location hidden

#3138 Dec 9, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>exactly we are the consumers that drive the US & China market, not Walmart they are nothing but a service provider or outlet for the China producers that create products that have use & monetary value which the United States has no more, and if we keep going the way were are here in the United States there wont be a market and the Federal Government cant keep subsidizing the Market by giving people welfare & welfare to work benefits to subsidize employers to keep the market going either.
The Chinese probably realize this so they keep lending more money. We are certainly a big part of their market aren't we?

Location hidden

#3139 Dec 9, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chinese probably realize this so they keep lending more money. We are certainly a big part of their market aren't we?
oh yeah, we are China's biggest Consumer Market.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3140 Dec 9, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
What will be the result of me paying $4.59 for a loaf of bread at stop&shop as opposed to spending .99 cents at Wal-Mart?
Not much, but people are not going to Wal-Mart for a loaf of bread. That's what Stop and Shops are for.

When we are talking a half or full cart of goods, that's when you go to Wal-Mart. If I'm going to purchase new Christmas lights for the outside of my house, and have only $50.00 to spend, I would rather go to Wal-Mart and get four strings of lights instead of two from other places.

I just went to Wal-Mart today. I'm diabetic and have no prescription coverage, so I have to pay cash for my insulin. I use three vials per month at a cost of $54.00 per vial. Wal-Mart?$24.99 per vial, and it's the same exact stuff made by the same exact drug manufacturer. I can get four vials for less money than it costs me to get two vials at any other drug store. What's my choice?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3141 Dec 9, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>exactly we are the consumers that drive the US & China market, not Walmart they are nothing but a service provider or outlet for the China producers that create products that have use & monetary value which the United States has no more, and if we keep going the way were are here in the United States there wont be a market and the Federal Government cant keep subsidizing the Market by giving people welfare & welfare to work benefits to subsidize employers to keep the market going either.
It's more than that. We hear of all these sob stories of shelf stockers who make minimum wage with no benefits. I'm sure Wal-Mart would pay their employees better money with benefits if we the consumer supported them. But we won't. Screw the floor sweepers. Their income is their problem. Our problem is getting goods at the least cost to us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn r... 2 min CodeTalker 529
News Ohio Gov. John Kasich: House Republicans could ... 4 min CodeTalker 2
News Trump to skip White House Correspondentsa Assoc... 5 min Truth hurts 26
News Yes, Mass Deportations Are Coming. And We Know ... 6 min kuda 222
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 7 min Just Think 21,335
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 7 min Love Melania 1,630
News Trump toasts US governors as health care talks ... 11 min CodeTalker 2
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Guest 1,498,179
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Copout 413,235
News Investigations into Russia to continue after Fl... 2 hr Ms Sassy 417
News Detroit's Muslim community promises it - will n... 7 hr Faith Michigan 118
More from around the web