The President has failed us

There are 328410 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Since: Jun 10

San Jose, CA

#190013 Sep 30, 2013
This is why we are on the brink of an economic shutdown. Thanks you Republicans. It was YOU who didn't want to negotiate over this bill.

The GOP’s Insane Obamacare Boycott

By Jonathan Chait

The fratricidal Republican conflict du jour is whether Congress ought to shut down the government unless President Obama agrees to end Obamacare. Tea-party activists are confronting Republicans in town halls, and conservative organizations are mobilizing behind Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and other shut-it-down conservatives. Establishment Republicans are flaying them as suicidal.

But the terms of this intramural debate are so extreme that the premises left intact are still highly crazy. The position of the Establishment Republicans — the non-suicidal ones who maintain at least some grasp of the practical limits of their power — is that a government shutdown may fail, but all other measures to attack Obamacare are fully justified. In particular, the party remains fully committed, without dissent, to a full-on boycott of any measures to help the law function in any way.

Sahil Kapur has an insightful report showing just how this plan of action is working in practice. One of the glitches to emerge in Obamacare is that it does not deem many church health-insurance plans to be fully qualified under the law. As written, it would make them disband their insurance plans and put their employees on to the exchanges. Churches are urging a reform to fix this flaw, and Senators Mark Pryor and Chris Coons are sponsoring a bill to do just that.

But they can’t get a Republican sponsor and have no realistic hope of attracting any Republican support in the near future.“We’re not expecting it to get a vote — at least not anytime soon,” Coons’s spokesman tells Kapur.

The reason is that Republicans are following a strategy of withholding support for any bipartisan fixes to the law. They will vote to repeal or undermine Obamacare, but they won’t support any changes intended to improve its functioning. It’s a pure Leninist strategy — heighten the contradictions to help hasten the collapse they are certain is inevitable.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#190014 Sep 30, 2013
U.S. government shuts down as Congress can't agree on spending bill

The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/shutdo...

“ON THE PROWL”

Since: May 08

Ocala, FL

#190015 Sep 30, 2013
Sir Ghost Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they were supporting bringing them out of the shadows and let them keep the jobs and pay income taxes and that is when many saw NTR for who she is.. To advocate allowing illegals to keep jobs when Americans could be working those jobs and paying income taxes.... And they were also advocating seeking legal status but not citizenship.. Illegal aliens do not give a damn about getting citizenship... They support selling out the working class Americans which include the working poor...
Of course illegals don't care about citizenship.. I say tax them at least 30% of what is leaving the country just like Americans are stuck paying.. No forget that I just say let them be gone for good and cut our losses..

Eagle
Quirky

Denver, CO

#190016 Sep 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a total kraksquatch.
;)
That's your forte Jackie. As in your fetish for Poopsicles.
1 post removed

“RELAX”

Since: Dec 12

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

#190018 Sep 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Among the tea party faithful, probably at first, but reality will eventually catch up to them.
They've painted themselves into a corner and spent all of their political capital on this one failed gamble.
If they're determined to let this happen the dems should hold their feet to the fire and let it drag out until the house is forced to finally allow a vote on a clean CR.
That's one side of the coin. The other side says the Democrats refused to accept Obamacare for themselves and so they shut the government down. Even Obama threatened to veto any bill that forced him to sign up for Obamacare.

The lamestream media can blame Republicans all they want but the American people can see with their own eyes. The Democrats want to shove Obamacare down the throats of the American people but they themselves refuse to sign up for it.
3 posts removed
Quirky

Denver, CO

#190022 Sep 30, 2013
Agents of Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, taxpayer dollars, time wasted
http://herald-review.com/news/opinion/editori...
Quinn took a political gamble. It seemed misguided at the time and appears even more so now. He will have to pay in political terms for this decision. But taxpayers will be the ones who pay out of their pocketbook for the lack of action on the state’s most pressing issue.
All thanks to OBAMA !
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#190023 Sep 30, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
No thank you Bonnie, once again, I don't want any of that "toe". Though I have to tell you, I don't believe you are a woman, you talk like a dumb, desperate, vulgar man. So that can't be a toe after all. My sympathies.
LAME> You keep posting to me bit ch. You must like to hear your name, Camel Toe.. That's what you'll always be. A short fat b!t c h with a bulging Camel Toe. Get a clue. I asked you many times.. Nice at first, to not post to me. Take the hint stu p!d.
2 posts removed
higgans

Marion, IN

#190026 Sep 30, 2013
the Opposition Party is WINNING.. the Obama is starting to crack!

he finally broke down and HE CALLED the House leaders...

his throwing a hissy-fit did NOT work, did it?

pray, hope, make animal sacrifices, do WHATEVER, to keep the OPPOSITION strong!

to borrow from a popular commercial: I'M LOVIN' IT!

stray frosty, folks....
1 post removed

Since: Oct 07

sugarcoated sunshine

#190028 Sep 30, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:

No kidding.. No the problem is not to big just you and the dems are sugarcoating it.. Attrition through enforcement will work and the dems know that fact.. Hell even freespirit tried her threats last night if we cut off foodstamps to some crime will rise up in the streets.. My answer to her is where she lives crimes and shooting's are everywhere without and cuts in their benefits.. That threat will always fall on deaf ears..
Eagle

I missed your reply to me Eagle, but I certainly wouldn't call what I wrote a threat. I said that people get desperate when they are hungry, meaning they will find what they and their family need to get by. You don't know where I live, and I assure you, it is not a high-crime area, but whatever level of crime that now exists would only increase as you take assistance away from the unemployed.
BTW I never said I didn't agree that a lot of folks are scamming the system or could get out there and work...I've said many times that we need oversight at all levels of the welfare system. But there are too many people, especially now, who need help. I'd rather work on weeding out the cheats while feeding and housing the needy. And when you find the cheats, send them to prison and make them work off what they stole.
My question is, why do Republican pols always want to blow up the whole thing, the good with the bad, instead of doing the work to make it better? I think I already know the answer.
Quirky

Denver, CO

#190029 Sep 30, 2013
the rot wrote:
<quoted text> well said
The Rot? Your screen Name should be "Dark Rodent" !

“RELAX”

#190030 Sep 30, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
This is why we are on the brink of an economic shutdown. Thanks you Republicans. It was YOU who didn't want to negotiate over this bill.
The GOP’s Insane Obamacare Boycott
By Jonathan Chait
The fratricidal Republican conflict du jour is whether Congress ought to shut down the government unless President Obama agrees to end Obamacare. Tea-party activists are confronting Republicans in town halls, and conservative organizations are mobilizing behind Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and other shut-it-down conservatives. Establishment Republicans are flaying them as suicidal.
But the terms of this intramural debate are so extreme that the premises left intact are still highly crazy. The position of the Establishment Republicans — the non-suicidal ones who maintain at least some grasp of the practical limits of their power — is that a government shutdown may fail, but all other measures to attack Obamacare are fully justified. In particular, the party remains fully committed, without dissent, to a full-on boycott of any measures to help the law function in any way.
Sahil Kapur has an insightful report showing just how this plan of action is working in practice. One of the glitches to emerge in Obamacare is that it does not deem many church health-insurance plans to be fully qualified under the law. As written, it would make them disband their insurance plans and put their employees on to the exchanges. Churches are urging a reform to fix this flaw, and Senators Mark Pryor and Chris Coons are sponsoring a bill to do just that.
But they can’t get a Republican sponsor and have no realistic hope of attracting any Republican support in the near future.“We’re not expecting it to get a vote — at least not anytime soon,” Coons’s spokesman tells Kapur.
The reason is that Republicans are following a strategy of withholding support for any bipartisan fixes to the law. They will vote to repeal or undermine Obamacare, but they won’t support any changes intended to improve its functioning. It’s a pure Leninist strategy — heighten the contradictions to help hasten the collapse they are certain is inevitable.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/...
Oh shut up! The Republicans in the house and the Senate voted in favor of losing their subsidized health insurance and buy Obamacare instead. It was the Democrats who refused to take their own medicine and sign up for Obamacare. Hell, even Obama said he would veto any bill that forced him to sign up for Obamacare.

The Democrats have just demonstrated that they are willing to send millions of hard working Americans home without pay indefinitely rather than to use Obamacare for themselves.

If you can't see that then you are blind.
1 post removed
Quirky

Denver, CO

#190032 Sep 30, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! No doubt about it, Jax.
Sure can tell X-Woozzy is doing your Judge it`s for you since the little chump always does things in Three`s .. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Are you X-Women?
1 post removed
Quirky

Denver, CO

#190034 Sep 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...whatever you say goat.
Yes, I had the restaurant "for years" and was quite successful.
So, let me see if I've got this straight, you drove 2,000 miles, followed me and my husband around until you had the chance to listen in on our private conversations?
Was this before or after you claim you came to my home and took pictures of me without me knowing about it?
Didn't you say you also sought out my father and spoke to him without telling him you were stalking me?
Nothing sick about you now is there?
Seriously, I get it. You either want me to believe that you have been stalking me and my family...or you actually have.
Either way it doesn't look good for you.
The only part I don't understand is the dress thing. What's that all about?
Paranoid Much Jackie?

“RELAX”

#190035 Sep 30, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
No kidding.. No the problem is not to big just you and the dems are sugarcoating it.. Attrition through enforcement will work and the dems know that fact.. Hell even freespirit tried her threats last night if we cut off foodstamps to some crime will rise up in the streets.. My answer to her is where she lives crimes and shooting's are everywhere without and cuts in their benefits.. That threat will always fall on deaf ears..
Eagle
I missed your reply to me Eagle, but I certainly wouldn't call what I wrote a threat. I said that people get desperate when they are hungry, meaning they will find what they and their family need to get by. You don't know where I live, and I assure you, it is not a high-crime area, but whatever level of crime that now exists would only increase as you take assistance away from the unemployed.
BTW I never said I didn't agree that a lot of folks are scamming the system or could get out there and work...I've said many times that we need oversight at all levels of the welfare system. But there are too many people, especially now, who need help. I'd rather work on weeding out the cheats while feeding and housing the needy. And when you find the cheats, send them to prison and make them work off what they stole.
My question is, why do Republican pols always want to blow up the whole thing, the good with the bad, instead of doing the work to make it better? I think I already know the answer.
Liberal mentality. If you don't give it to me. I will steal it.

Conservative mentality. Don't give me anything. If I want it. I will work hard, save up and buy it.

“ON THE PROWL”

Ocala, FL

#190036 Sep 30, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one side of the coin. The other side says the Democrats refused to accept Obamacare for themselves and so they shut the government down. Even Obama threatened to veto any bill that forced him to sign up for Obamacare.
The lamestream media can blame Republicans all they want but the American people can see with their own eyes. The Democrats want to shove Obamacare down the throats of the American people but they themselves refuse to sign up for it.
Oh wait for the headlines tomorrow.. The dems will get all the blame and the pubs outsmarted them.. Of course you will see that failure in chief on all the lib channels trying to shift the blame..

Eagle
higgans

Marion, IN

#190037 Sep 30, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>You must have forgotten higgins that it takes two to make a fight. The Republicans are in this up to their hair roots and they don't give a flying flip about any of the citizens of this Country or the even the Country for that matter. It's all about themselves.
I heard that the Senate PASSED the CR to pay the Military... the CR that the uncaring Reps passed weeks, if not MONTHS, AGO. AND YOUR PRECIOUS DEMS HAVE BEEN SITTING ON!LOFL!!

yep, Obama and Reid are willing to screw hundreds of millions of Americans to save the face of themselves and a few million... and yet you BLAME the Reps!?!lol

I hope the OPPOSITIONS PARTY hangs tough!

you, WA, are one of 60+ million LOW INFO voters, ain't ya'?:)

are you telling all your friends that granny ain't gonna get her SS check, too?lol
1 post removed

“ON THE PROWL”

Ocala, FL

#190039 Sep 30, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
Eagle
I am not going to go back and look for your post about civil unrest if we cut off the food chain..

Eagle

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#190040 Sep 30, 2013
Blame it on Harry (the documented racist) Reid and Obama. Neither one would budge an inch.

Since: Jun 10

San Jose, CA

#190041 Sep 30, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh shut up! The Republicans in the house and the Senate voted in favor of losing their subsidized health insurance and buy Obamacare instead. It was the Democrats who refused to take their own medicine and sign up for Obamacare. Hell, even Obama said he would veto any bill that forced him to sign up for Obamacare.
The Democrats have just demonstrated that they are willing to send millions of hard working Americans home without pay indefinitely rather than to use Obamacare for themselves.
I guess you didn't like the article I posted, but telling me to "shut up" was uncalled for.

Chill out and get a grip.

The blame can be placed equally upon the Republicans and the Democrats and both sides will blame the other. It's part of the political game, but the Republicans have refused to negotiate over the bill, and then waited 'til the eleventh hour to stage this power struggle.

The Republicans are also posturing because of the midterm elections. If you think this is ONLY about Obamacare, then perhaps you are blind.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#190042 Sep 30, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize that over the last week or so you have alienated almost every person on these threads that has ever shown you any respect or been willing to engage in a civil conversation with you?

My only advice is to keep it here on topix because there are other places where it won't be tolerated.

...and with this I'll call it a night and leave you to wallow in your own disgrace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min NoahLovesU 7,386
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min leosnana 1,232,907
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min voter 182,411
News Huckabee: I would ask Clinton about Benghazi 9 min Synque 121
News What Should Citizenship Mean? 9 min Memo From Turner 51
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 9 min huey goins 23,189
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min THE LONE WORKER 163,887
News GOP's fight for 2016 nomination likely to drag ... 29 min Your Ex 39
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 30 min Cheech the Conser... 2,241
News Cleveland protests erupt after officer found no... 33 min Sneaky Pete 67
More from around the web