The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 332417 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

#169573 Aug 11, 2013
Star Trek actor George Takei backs petition to move Sochi Games to Vancouver
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Star+Trek+ac...
Activist and actor George Takei, best known as helmsman Lt. Sulu in the original Star Trek series, is boldly going where tens of thousands have gone before, denouncing Russia's anti-gay laws, calling instead for the 2014 Games to move to Vancouver from Sochi.

He's the latest celebrity to weigh in on the Olympic controversy, endorsing a petition at Change.org that had garnered more than 55,000 supporters by Wednesday afternoon.

Russia "intends to enforce its laws against visiting LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender) athletes, trainers and fans, meaning anyone even so much as waving a rainbow flag (and I presume many men enthusiastically watching and dramatically commenting on figure skating) would be arrested, held for weeks and then deported," he wrote in a blog post posted Tuesday.

"Given this position, the (International Olympic Committee) must do the right thing, protect its athletes and the fans, and move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia."

Takei noted Vancouver's facilities are still in good condition and the city would be the easiest of possible alternatives. Moving the Games, he said, would be much better than a boycott — one of the options touted by some activists.

"A boycott of the games would punish athletes who have trained for years to participate, and a boycott of Russian vodka isn't going to affect the kind of change needed," he wrote.

However, Vancouver Coun. Geoff Meggs said welcoming the Olympics back is not "like putting fresh sheets on the guest bed."

"I can understand the intention, but practically I don't see how it could happen," he said Wednesday, noting Vancouver had seven years to plan the 2010 Games after they were awarded.

"I think lots of people in Vancouver would love to have the Games again, but it's a question of who would pay for it and how it could possibly be done, and I don't think we know the answer to either of those questions," he said.

Meggs added Russia's policies are reprehensible, and a real step back from the 2010 Games when Vancouver hosted the first "Pride House."

Takei blogged that Russia's ban on "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations" and its imposition of heavy fines directly contravenes the IOC's fundamental principals, and he argued such intolerance wouldn't be accepted if it were aimed at Jews, Roman Catholics or Muslims.

Takei said moving the Games wouldn't seem like an outlandish proposal if the discrimination was faced by those groups.

Both Meggs and Takei called for stronger leadership from the IOC.

But IOC spokesman Mark Adams said in an emailed statement the IOC has "received assurances from the highest level of government in Russia that (anti-gay) legislation will not affect those attending or taking part in the Games."

Russia's assurances to the IOC seemed to contradict a recent announcement by the country's sports minister.

"An athlete of non-traditional sexual orientation isn't banned from coming to Sochi," Vitaly Mutko said in an interview with R-Sport, the sports newswire of state news agency RIA Novosti. "But if he goes out into the streets and starts to propagandize, then of course he will be held accountable."

Adams said the nascent nature of Russia's legislation means it is too early to tell how it will be implemented, particularly with regard to the Games.

"As a sporting organization, what we can do is to continue to work to ensure that the Games can take place without discrimination against athletes, officials, spectators and the media," he said.

Thousands of Takei's followers have weighed in on the proposal to move the Games to Vancouver.

"Don't go to Russia and be beat by Putin, come to Canada to eat some poutine!" one poster, Kevin Dutrisac, wrote on Facebook.

Although most commentators seemed to be supportive,...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#169574 Aug 11, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how that makes me wanting a totalitarian government. I'm all for a very small government, but with laws that make sense. It's sort of like our immigration laws. We say we will deport them, but then we coddle them and don't deport them.
You said you want the government to forcibly sterilize a group of people that you have decided should not be allowed to have children.

There are only a handful of governments in all of human history that have ever gone that far and they were all totalitarian states.

Nazi Germany, Communist China...

If that's what you really believe, that's your choice, but there is no place for that kind of big government intrusion in a free society.

Many of you on the right want the government out of your own lives, but you are more than eager to give the government the right to interfere in the lives and freedoms of those you oppose.

The part that I find the most fascinating is that you don't seem to see the hypocrisy in your own position.

If you want to live in a country where the government has the right to forcibly sterilize anyone they choose, move to a country where they do that and see how long it is before your b*lls are on the chopping block.
Juhosephat

Jacksonville, FL

#169575 Aug 11, 2013
You who mock, scorn, ridicule and laugh joyously and boisterously while giving me bad symbols to my posts, rejoice, for I know of no greater honor or crown to wear, than the crown of thorns similar to Jesus and in Jeses name to boot, it is a great and noble honor for me to personally take the scorn and the ridicule of that crown in HIS, Jesus' name!

My love of Jesus and my fellow man transcends absolutely anything you could ever do to my merely mortal body.

Thanks be to you, and great Blessings to all. Amen!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#169576 Aug 11, 2013
Juhosephat wrote:
Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright
I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright
I don't care what they may know
I don't care where they may go
I don't care what they may know
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus, he's my friend; Jesus, he's my friend
He took me by the hand; led me far from this land
Jesus, he's my friend
I don't care what they may say, I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say, Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SwbGjzF3mB0XX
You wouldn't know Jesus if he slapped you upside the head...which I have a feeling may happen any minute now.

#169577 Aug 11, 2013
Florida Sit-In Against ‘Stand Your Ground’
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/us/dream-de...
One young woman whose parents were both drug addicts spoke about how she had defied the odds; she will graduate from college next year. A young man mentioned that he was one of the few in his family who had not ended up in prison. Another talked about his years in and out of homeless shelters while he was growing up in Miami.

So far, the Dream Defenders, which formed last year to fight for social change after Mr. Martin’s death, have scored a few victories. The first was when Governor Scott, who initially ignored the protesters, agreed to sit down with them. The governor listened for more than an hour but did not agree to call a special session.
1 post removed
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#169579 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know Jesus if he slapped you upside the head...which I have a feeling may happen any minute now.
ROTFLMAO!!! Now that was funny.

“For God & Country”

Since: Aug 13

The Promised Land Illinois

#169580 Aug 11, 2013
Occupy-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read it 2x so far and I will read it again to make sure I understand it. Or understand it better.
In theory it is a superb idea. Implementing it may be harder than you may think. I agree there have still been inequalities in the school systems. A portion of the executive order is law already but it does not hurt it emphasize it. In small town America it will work fine. The major problem I see with it will come from the major cities. Were it is a social crime to be smart, this has no race boundaries. Remember the hardest thing for a child is to be a child. They have no experience in life, so they copy what they see. This is how they learn and why we give such leeway when they do something wrong.
This is a lofty goal and can be attained but it will take decades not just a few years. You are talking about changing the way people see them self’s and others in there pier groups. This also could fall under micro-culture and be fought against to keep the community culture alive. And if this is handled wrong or just to through money at it because it is there. It very well may cause more harm. And none profit organizations should not be part of this.(Most are one sided)
We will have to see. I will read it again tomorrow
“…..….HELPING THOES WHO CAN NOT HELP THEM SELF…….”
With this I am out Night all be safe
I have read the Executive Order again. It is a great idea. But it may not work like I first thought it might. Under section (vii) & (viii) it sounds like there will be racially motivated appointments to collages. And there is to be a marked number of students who must graduate. That is fine but if a student cannot make the grade are you going to pressure the schools to relax there standards?

I find this may be an untenable prospect under the current situation and practices. The micro culture that exists will not let it be. This would stand against teacher unions to start with. To make it work they would need more charter schools. And the numbers would be able to obtain by the year of 2025(maybe)

I will have to wait and see.
“…..….HELPING THOES WHO CAN NOT HELP THEM SELF…….”
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#169581 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You said you want the government to forcibly sterilize a group of people that you have decided should not be allowed to have children.
There are only a handful of governments in all of human history that have ever gone that far and they were all totalitarian states.
Nazi Germany, Communist China...
If that's what you really believe, that's your choice, but there is no place for that kind of big government intrusion in a free society.
Many of you on the right want the government out of your own lives, but you are more than eager to give the government the right to interfere in the lives and freedoms of those you oppose.
The part that I find the most fascinating is that you don't seem to see the hypocrisy in your own position.
If you want to live in a country where the government has the right to forcibly sterilize anyone they choose, move to a country where they do that and see how long it is before your b*lls are on the chopping block.
I think I should be able to drive at 80 to 90 miles an hour on the freeways when it's safe, but I'm not allowed to.

Welfare and poverty are not free. I don't think that a person/s should have as many children as they want and not be responsible for their support. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. I grew up very poor, and my parents never asked the government for help in supporting us. We were just poor, and there were others that were poorer than we were. Do I have compassion for poor folks? Hell yes, but I don't believe we should be creating a people that relies on the government for everything. If the government would just get out of our business for the most part, a lot of the crap that goes on now wouldn't be happening. I'm talking about the Repubs and the Dems. Independents suck also. Just sayin!!!

“For God & Country”

The Promised Land Illinois

#169582 Aug 11, 2013
Juhosephat wrote:
New Testament
Jesus never mentioned homosexuality, but He did condemn all forms of sexual immorality:
What comes out of you is what defiles you. For from within, out of your hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile you.(TNIV, Mark 7:20-23)
The apostle Paul, in one of his letters to the Corinthians, wrote the verses most often quoted on this subject:
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.(NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)
This verse has been translated in as many different ways as there are different versions of the Bible, so we have to look at the original Greek to see what Paul was really saying. The word translated here as "male prostitute" is the Greek word malakos which literally means "soft to the touch." However, it was used metaphorically to refer to a catamite (a boy kept for sexual relations with a man) or to a male prostitute in general. The word translated here as "homosexual offender" is the Greek word arsenokoites which means a sodomite, a person who engages in any kind of unnatural sex, but especially homosexual intercourse5. Some believe this use of arsenokoites referred specifically to the men who kept catamites6, but that is not certain.
There are two other New Testament mentions of homosexual acts, in Romans 1:25-27 and 1 Timothy 1:8-10. In this passage from Romans, again in the context of idolatry, Paul mentions women who "exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones," which might apply to lesbian acts:
They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-- who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.(NIV, Romans 1:25-27)
http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_ho...
As a Christian we are thought to love thy neighbors. And judge you not unless you be judged.

I take this as I love the opposite sex if fact I am crazy about the opposite sex. It sounds like you may like the opposite sex as well. But there are those on here who may like the same sex. My view on that is simple I don’t care; it is not my place to judge. Even if I do think homosexuality is a sin that is a problem between god and that person not me. I cannot stop you from sinning but I don’t have to help you sin either. And I can say I disagree with your life style. I could say that about a lot of heterosexual’s people I know as well

God Bless you and keep the post coming :)

“Tutte le strade portano a Roma”

Location hidden

#169583 Aug 11, 2013
Bahhad Penny wrote:
If black teens spent more time studying and less time "eating Skittles and drinking Arizona Ice Tea" maybe the wouldn't be dropping out of school so much. How is more money gonna help if they aren't there to spend it on?
If you'd spend more time learning a marketable skill, and less time posting nonsense on Topix maybe employers would take a second look at you.
How is Vocational Training for the Unemployed going to help if you're not taking advantage of the available resources created specifically for people like you?
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#169584 Aug 11, 2013
Wow! It seems that the rich are only getting richer under Obama and the Dems. I'm sure the government union workers are benefitting also.

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Investors are hoping that a fresh batch of economic data will breathe life back into stock markets this week.

All three major indexes shed about 1% last week.

However, the market hasn't lost much of its momentum. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq are all up between 18% and 23% so far this year."
REWBA McIntire

Storm Lake, IA

#169585 Aug 11, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I should be able to drive at 80 to 90 miles an hour on the freeways when it's safe, but I'm not allowed to.
Welfare and poverty are not free. I don't think that a person/s should have as many children as they want and not be responsible for their support. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. I grew up very poor, and my parents never asked the government for help in supporting us. We were just poor, and there were others that were poorer than we were. Do I have compassion for poor folks? Hell yes, but I don't believe we should be creating a people that relies on the government for everything. If the government would just get out of our business for the most part, a lot of the crap that goes on now wouldn't be happening. I'm talking about the Repubs and the Dems. Independents suck also. Just sayin!!!
Fancy...

#169586 Aug 11, 2013
Occupy-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Christian we are thought to love thy neighbors. And judge you not unless you be judged.
I take this as I love the opposite sex if fact I am crazy about the opposite sex. It sounds like you may like the opposite sex as well. But there are those on here who may like the same sex. My view on that is simple I don’t care; it is not my place to judge. Even if I do think homosexuality is a sin that is a problem between god and that person not me. I cannot stop you from sinning but I don’t have to help you sin either. And I can say I disagree with your life style. I could say that about a lot of heterosexual’s people I know as well
God Bless you and keep the post coming :)
Some believe they see image of Mary, Jesus outside North Providence church
http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-new...
Asked if she believed it was Mary as she headed to the church, Andreozzi said: "We need a miracle the way this country is going, the turmoil that we are in. Absolutely, I believe."

Location hidden

#169587 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You take topix way to serious.
LOL!
Posi's a modern day Don Quixote,
He creates monsters out of windmills...

#169588 Aug 11, 2013
freebird wrote:
Wow! It seems that the rich are only getting richer under Obama and the Dems. I'm sure the government union workers are benefitting also.
"NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Investors are hoping that a fresh batch of economic data will breathe life back into stock markets this week.
All three major indexes shed about 1% last week.
However, the market hasn't lost much of its momentum. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq are all up between 18% and 23% so far this year."
Opinion: Banks strike gold in aluminum scam
http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/alum...
IN 1909, as one of the scores of short pictures he turned out that year, D.W. Griffith directed “A Corner in Wheat,” a 14-minute film adaptation of a story by the populist antitrust novelist Frank Norris. In it, a Wall Street speculator buys up so much of America’s wheat and keeps it off the market that prices soar and millions — including the farm family Griffith shows laboring in the fields — go hungry.

Location hidden

#169589 Aug 11, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"hoe"
You are way off base. I consider you a tool for the liberal loons, thus the word "hoe" a tool. As to KMA check below;
K indly
M ontana U
A lum
Peace
KMA
Queazy head, why don't you GFYMITA!
Go
Fix
Your
Mullet
In
The
Afternoon

“dystopian proles”

Since: Feb 09

ludovico

#169590 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
BROTHER LOVE'S TRAVELING SALVATION SHOW

http://youtu.be/WAZq5xIsFTk

Neil Diamond
[somewheeremaybevideos]

Location hidden

#169591 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, you're a retired one percenter living your life on topix...I forgot.
:p
LMAO!
His b.s. is very forgettable.
Lyin' like a mofo is one of his ticker meds side effects.

Location hidden

#169592 Aug 11, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a legend in your own mind pos.
You know why I fail to push my "agenda"?
Because I don't have one!
I tend to get my point across, make my message clear and whip your topix addicted a*s every time we cross paths, but there isn't an agenda in sight.
That's your game.
LOL!
Sometimes I feel sorry for these morons, but only for about a minute...

#169593 Aug 11, 2013
anne bonny wrote:
<quoted text>
BROTHER LOVE'S TRAVELING SALVATION SHOW
http://youtu.be/WAZq5xIsFTk
Neil Diamond
[somewheeremaybevideos]
A Shuffle of Aluminum, but to Banks, Pure Gold
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/business/a-...
Hundreds of millions of times a day, thirsty Americans open a can of soda, beer or juice. And every time they do it, they pay a fraction of a penny more because of a shrewd maneuver by Goldman Sachs and other financial players that ultimately costs consumers billions of dollars.

The inflated aluminum pricing is just one way that Wall Street is flexing its financial muscle and capitalizing on loosened federal regulations to sway a variety of commodities markets, according to financial records, regulatory documents and interviews with people involved in the activities.

The maneuvering in markets for oil, wheat, cotton, coffee and more have brought billions in profits to investment banks like Goldman, JPMorgan Chase and Morgan Stanley, while forcing consumers to pay more every time they fill up a gas tank, flick on a light switch, open a beer or buy a cellphone. In the last year, federal authorities have accused three banks, including JPMorgan, of rigging electricity prices, and last week JPMorgan was trying to reach a settlement that could cost it $500 million.

Using special exemptions granted by the Federal Reserve Bank and relaxed regulations approved by Congress, the banks have bought huge swaths of infrastructure used to store commodities and deliver them to consumers — from pipelines and refineries in Oklahoma, Louisiana and Texas; to fleets of more than 100 double-hulled oil tankers at sea around the globe; to companies that control operations at major ports like Oakland, Calif., and Seattle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 min Mark 52,013
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 6 min Silent Echo 3,472
News 2016 hopefuls react to Obamacare ruling 7 min Responsibility 19
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min ChristineM 168,594
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min OBAMA the GENIUS 1,250,585
News Mainstream Right-Wingers, Don't Even Start With... 10 min xxxrayted 430
Time to go? 11 min barefoot2626 456
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 1 hr Le Jimbo 104
News Texas Sen. Ted Cruz not backing down on same-se... 1 hr barefoot2626 81
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 1 hr American_Infidel 480
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Le Jimbo 186,039
More from around the web