Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-pov...

Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

There are 13 comments on the bigstory.ap.org story from Jul 28, 2013, titled Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work. In it, bigstory.ap.org reports that:

Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at bigstory.ap.org.

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#1 Jul 28, 2013
Is this the change America voted for?

The democrat have always counted on the poor to vote for them, is it a wonder that they excel at creating poverty?
They are NOT moving the rich and wealthy down the economic ladder. No, they are moving the middle class into poverty.

Obama and the democrats, creating more voters by creating unprecedented poverty in the USA.
Stanley

Columbus, GA

#2 Jul 29, 2013
Bad times in America Jim
joseph

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jul 29, 2013
4. Columbus, Ga.
> Upward mobility: 3.3%
> Pct. of families with single mothers: 31.2%(10th highest)
> HS dropout rate 2000-2001: 6.9%(29th highest)

It is extremely difficult for children from any background to earn a top-level wage in Columbus. An estimated one-in-30 children from low-income families ended up earning a top quintile income themselves in adulthood, among the lowest rates nationwide. Similarly, only an estimated 13.6% of children born into the middle-income quintile moved upward into the top grouping, also among the lowest percentages in the nation. Poverty remains a major issue in Columbus, as does malnutrition. In fact, according to a recent study, poverty and malnutrition remain major problems in many counties in West Georgia, The Ledger-Enquirer reported.

Read more: Ten Cities Where the Poor Canít Get Rich - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/07/2...
Slatman

Columbus, GA

#4 Jul 29, 2013
Add on top of all that Obama trashing the economy and you see why these things are the way they are.
I agree with Jim though, the middle class has always been the backbone of Columbus and since Obama been elected we have been steadily getting poorer and poorer.
Reality

Columbus, GA

#5 Jul 29, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
Is this the change America voted for?
The democrat have always counted on the poor to vote for them, is it a wonder that they excel at creating poverty?
They are NOT moving the rich and wealthy down the economic ladder. No, they are moving the middle class into poverty.
Obama and the democrats, creating more voters by creating unprecedented poverty in the USA.
I did not vote for that idiot obama
Smiths Station Panthers

Opelika, AL

#6 Jul 31, 2013
Nor did I, where is the outrage from the media, the news articles about struggling Americans?

Since: Feb 12

Mystic, CT

#7 Aug 1, 2013
I am a 1%er and I haven't lost a thing. That's the biggest misconception in politics: Democrats for the poor/middle class....republicans for the rich.
The poor are still getting their benefits, we the rich still have our money and assets.
So who's paying for all this Obama spending?
The middle class and its destroying them.
Gator

United States

#8 Aug 2, 2013
Obama is a POS, I used to never think about politics or even care but I know I will never vote for a democrat president again.
Stanley

Columbus, GA

#9 Aug 4, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
Nor did I, where is the outrage from the media, the news articles about struggling Americans?
And you won't, unemployment has been high for so long now that its considered normal. Obama sold out the 20 something generation.
Burt not the Butcher

Pittsview, AL

#10 Aug 12, 2013
Gator wrote:
Obama is a POS, I used to never think about politics or even care but I know I will never vote for a democrat president again.
I agree with what you posted.

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#11 Aug 18, 2013
Stanley wrote:
<quoted text>
And you won't, unemployment has been high for so long now that its considered normal. Obama sold out the 20 something generation.
A very good point. Dialog on the problem of high unemployment and how long it is lasting is non-existent by the main stream media.
The kids coming out of college and graduating high school are finding it difficult to find jobs because of the strain Obama's economic policies have put on American business.
He came out recently with a proposal to raise taxes on small businesses, the backbone of the middle class.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#12 Aug 18, 2013
would these ambiguous statistics include college kids living off Ramen noodles and Kraft dinners?
sinic

United States

#13 Aug 25, 2013
Here is a link to an article giving a different perspective:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/south2nor...

It's arguments is weak ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald's Trump sons take helm of Trump Organiza... 2 min Soetoro Sucked 11
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Just call me Abe 3 264,979
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min JRB 1,520,410
News Will Islam Inherit the Earth? 9 min Simran 1
News El Paso leaders condemn Sessions' remarks about... 21 min Big smile Sessions 14
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Saint Donald 240,287
News Pence embraces US-Australia partnership after T... 29 min tomin cali 17
News Racism motivated Trump voters more than authori... 38 min swampmudd 211
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 52 min Trump to the wall 160
More from around the web