Obama Announces Full Support for Gay ...

Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

There are 26163 comments on the politix.topix.com story from May 9, 2012, titled Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8459 Jun 13, 2012
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't lie, you misunderstood what I was saying.
Meanwhile, you shouldn't argue about things you don't know or fully understand - for example:
Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States, was impeached by the House of Representatives on two charges, one of perjury and one of obstruction of justice, on December 19, 1998.
Details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_B...
Wiki?

You must be kidding me.

Impeachment of a president means removal from office. They only brought impeachment proceedings forth. Clinton was not impeached.

Golly gee. You just lost another point.

Better luck next time.

Location hidden

#8460 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You left out this part...."Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to those who stand up for equality, whether on a senate floor, in a court house, or on a school playground, and I hope that all couples, regardless of gender, have the option to marry if they truly wish."
That hardly sounds like "opposition".
Indeed.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#8461 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A same sex couple accepts each other as husband and wife? Does that mean one wears the pants in the family?:)
Why would I accept my wife as a "HUSBAND"? She is not a man, nor has male tendencies.....and that's insulting to her and to me, because I'm not a man either.

We both wear pants, shorts and she loves to wear dresses and skirts:-)

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#8462 Jun 13, 2012
We are talking about civil marriage, a legal contract between two persons and the state. You keep wanting to restrict it based on dimensions it does not require. The terms you mention will remain the same; a wife is a female spouse, and her female spouse will also be a wife. Husbands are male spouses, and there will be two husbands. Traditionally, salt and pepper shakers come one each to a package, but you can also buy two salt shakers or two pepper shakers if you wish, and no one is the poorer for it.

Male/female relationships exist regardless of marriage.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Wife, husband, bride, groom, etc....these words haven't changed. How can you expand access to an institution created, built, and has been either legally, socially, culturally, aand/or religiously, etc. on the male femle relationship by removing one half of it? That make no sense. I know let's remove the hamburger patty from the bun, replace it with a veggie patty, and still call it a hamburger.

Indianapolis

#8463 Jun 13, 2012
Marriage didn't bring us about; sex did (or IVF, surrogacy, etc). We are at a point where the majority of kids are either born outside of marriage or eventually raised by divorced parents. If straight people can't hold to the ideal you espouse, then they cannot demand it of us.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I beleive I stated that in my answer. The primary requirement, and the reason the state has an interest in marriage, is a couple accept EACH OTHER AS HUSBAND AND WIFE. PERIOD. All else stems from that. There doesn't have to be requirements to consumate, procreate, conjugate,....because thats what men and women do. Not all, but a large significant percentage. But you knew that already silly rabbit! Not one of us on this thread would be here if a man and a woman didn't have coitus, aka sexual intercourse, aka sex. Unless there was a immaculate conception of someone here.:)

Indianapolis

#8464 Jun 13, 2012
And it used to be...are ya ready?...BETWEEN WHITES ONLY OR BETWEEN BLACKS ONLY. In colonial times, the only people who were legally married were those with property and money; the common folk just had religious unions. Marriage has changed, and will change in the future.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was a legal requirement, nor it need to be proven in order to have a valid marriage license. That's not the point. The legal requirement, in non ssm states, is husband and wife, period. That's it. They are not required by law to consumate, procreate, cohabitate, etc. No same sex couple can meet that singular significatnt virtually universal requirement.
The meaning of "sexual intercourse" is widely accepted and commonly understood. If an opposite sex couple states they have sexual intercourse, or sex, there's really not much doubt of what that means. It's only when its modified, as in "anal intercourse", does the meaning change. If a male couple state the had sex, the reasonable assumption would be anal intercourse.
No newsflash here, never denied it, nor said it is, or was, a requirement. The ONLY requirement other than, age, concent, citizenship, non-relatve, etc., in non ssm states is.....are ya ready?.... HUSBAND AND WIFE. THAT'S IT! You guessed right! Now lets all gather around and have our picture taken with the bride and groom. Now everybody say "coitus".

Indianapolis

#8465 Jun 13, 2012
Don't be silly..gay men rent more u-hails. Lesbians all have trucks already...:)
Marengo Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're fixated on details which have no bearing on you. So what if more lesbians rent a U-Haul and get married than gay men? It's completely irrelevant. What's important is that gay couples who wish to do so can participate in a ceremony which will grant them all of the benefits that heterosexuals have.

Indianapolis

#8466 Jun 13, 2012
And a lot of people who think they are honest see events in totally different lights than others. Feel free to ask divorce attorneys or judges how much unvarnished truth they get to deal with during proceedings.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people are actually honest, DICK BREATH!

Indianapolis

#8467 Jun 13, 2012
And he's perfectly free to not marry. It's not about people who don't want to marry, now is it?
Pietro Armando wrote:
Here's one
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/ga...
Living in Massachusetts, where gay marriage is legal, this is one of the hazards of being gay. Everyone expects you to be pro-gay marriage, and I canít say that I am.
Donít get me wrong. I think Sam should have inheritance/pension/social security rights, be my healthcare proxy, get the tax breaks, be eligible for citizenship, etc., etc., exactly like heterosexual married couples. What Iím against is the use of the word ďmarriage,Ē and I think we would have achieved equal rights by now, on a national level, if so much breath hadnít been wasted and the right-wing gotten its knickers in a twist over the nomenclature.
No big O

Romeoville, IL

#8468 Jun 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki?
You must be kidding me.
Impeachment of a president means removal from office. They only brought impeachment proceedings forth. Clinton was not impeached.
Better luck next time.
Hate to say this ww... but you are both correct.
Technically Clinton was the 2nd pres to be impeached. To be impeached doesnt mean to leave office.
here are the steps

In the House of Representatives

The House Judiciary Committee decides whether or not to proceed with impeachment. If they do...
The Chairman of the Judiciary Committee will propose a Resolution calling for the Judiciary Committee to begin a formal inquiry into the issue of impeachment.
Based on their inquiry, the Judiciary Committee will send another Resolution to the full House stating that impeachment is warranted and why (the Articles of Impeachment), or that impeachment is not called for.
The Full House (probably operating under special floor rules set by the House Rules Committee) will debate and vote on each Article of Impeachment.
Should any one of the Articles of Impeachment be approved by a simple majority vote, the President will be "impeached." However, being impeached is sort of like being indicted of a crime. There still has to be a trial, which is where the US Senate comes in.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentand... (much more reliable than wiki.)

Clinton was indeed found guilty in the house and "impeached".

The senate, once getting impeachment proceedings from the house, votes (after a trial) on to remove from office or not. A 2/3 majority must vote for removal. As of yet no President has been removed from office but 2 presidents have been impeached.

Kinda like the house being a grand jury an impeachment being inditement.... the Senate is the jury in the trial.

Location hidden

#8469 Jun 13, 2012
No big O wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to say this ww... but you are both correct.
Technically Clinton was the 2nd pres to be impeached. To be impeached doesnt mean to leave office.
here are the steps
In the House of Representatives
The House Judiciary Committee decides whether or not to proceed with impeachment. If they do...
The Chairman of the Judiciary Committee will propose a Resolution calling for the Judiciary Committee to begin a formal inquiry into the issue of impeachment.
Based on their inquiry, the Judiciary Committee will send another Resolution to the full House stating that impeachment is warranted and why (the Articles of Impeachment), or that impeachment is not called for.
The Full House (probably operating under special floor rules set by the House Rules Committee) will debate and vote on each Article of Impeachment.
Should any one of the Articles of Impeachment be approved by a simple majority vote, the President will be "impeached." However, being impeached is sort of like being indicted of a crime. There still has to be a trial, which is where the US Senate comes in.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentand... (much more reliable than wiki.)
Clinton was indeed found guilty in the house and "impeached".
The senate, once getting impeachment proceedings from the house, votes (after a trial) on to remove from office or not. A 2/3 majority must vote for removal. As of yet no President has been removed from office but 2 presidents have been impeached.
Kinda like the house being a grand jury an impeachment being inditement.... the Senate is the jury in the trial.
Here are the rules.

Article II, Section 4

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Unless removed from office, the impeachment is incomplete.
No big O

Romeoville, IL

#8470 Jun 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are the rules.
Article II, Section 4
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
That doenst mean they were not impeached. Impeachment is part of the House. Removal of office once impeached is the Senate
No big O

Romeoville, IL

#8471 Jun 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are the rules.
Article II, Section 4
If what you say is fact... then you need to change all the history books ever printed. They all have Johnson as the first President impeached, yet he finished his term.

1998, as a result of issues surrounding personal indiscretions with a young woman White House intern, Clinton was the second U.S. president to be impeached by the House of Representatives. He was tried in the Senate and found not guilty of the charges brought against him. He apologized to the nation for his actions and continued to have unprecedented popular approval ratings for his job as president.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/wi...

That is official from the White House's own website. Notice
" Clinton was the second U.S. president to be impeached by the House of Representatives."... So unless you want to argue with the history books AND the white house itself, you will admit Clinton was impeached by the H.o. R.....

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#8472 Jun 13, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
And he's perfectly free to not marry. It's not about people who don't want to marry, now is it?
<quoted text>
Love it.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#8473 Jun 13, 2012
Get THIS Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't together. Consummation is the intercourse between a penis and a vagina....
Link to support that obviously false definition?
harvey

Columbus, OH

#8474 Jun 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki?
You must be kidding me.
Better luck next time.
Hilariously stupid and wrong. Impeachment is voted on by the House, and brings a President to trial before the Senate. The Senate must convict him in order for him to be removed from office.

TWO Presidents have been impeached, Andrew Johnson and Clinton.

NONE have ever been removed from office.

Better luck yourself...:)

Location hidden

#8475 Jun 13, 2012
No big O wrote:
<quoted text>
That doenst mean they were not impeached. Impeachment is part of the House. Removal of office once impeached is the Senate
Technically, the House brings impeachment proceedings. It takes 2/3 majority vote of the Senate to Impeach and remove the President. It was a huge waste of time and money. While those proceedings were deliberated, no other business could proceed.

Therefore, impeachment of a President means removal from office.

Location hidden

#8476 Jun 13, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilariously stupid and wrong. Impeachment is voted on by the House, and brings a President to trial before the Senate. The Senate must convict him in order for him to be removed from office.
TWO Presidents have been impeached, Andrew Johnson and Clinton.
NONE have ever been removed from office.
Better luck yourself...:)
Impeached only in the House. What a waste of the taxpayer money.

What's more, you technical argument flies in the face of our legal standards. Your argument implies guilt without due process.

Location hidden

#8477 Jun 13, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Link to support that obviously false definition?
You are correct. Cohabitation legally constitutes consummation of marriage.

CONSUMMATION OF MARRIAGE. The first time that the husband and wife cohabit together, after the ceremony of marriage has been performed, is thus called.
2. The marriage, when otherwise legal, is complete without this; for it is a maxim of law, borrowed from the civil, law, that consensus, non concubitus, facit nuptias. Co. Litt. 33; Dig. 50, 17, 30; 1 Black. Com. 434.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#8478 Jun 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. Cohabitation legally constitutes consummation of marriage.
CONSUMMATION OF MARRIAGE. The first time that the husband and wife cohabit together, after the ceremony of marriage has been performed, is thus called.
2. The marriage, when otherwise legal, is complete without this; for it is a maxim of law, borrowed from the civil, law, that consensus, non concubitus, facit nuptias. Co. Litt. 33; Dig. 50, 17, 30; 1 Black. Com. 434.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
Now you've done it......you will be in the cross hairs of GTF.......lol!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,565,111
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 242,272
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Star Wars 16,569
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 5 min Palin s Turkey Th... 29
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 6 min Go Trump 529
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Julia 279,789
News A frustrated Trump lashes out at Republicans 7 min Retribution 23
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 52 min Regolith Based Li... 221,916
More from around the web