Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

May 9, 2012 | Posted by: Top Mod2 | Full story: politix.topix.com

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Comments
22,961 - 22,980 of 26,178 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2013

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Did u make that up all by yourself? Oh u flatter me so.
Glad I could help you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pointing out that marriage as practiced around the globe includes polygamy. If one group's concept of marriage, ssm, differs from that of the norm , conjugal husband wife union, and it is to receive legal consideration, it is logical that the other form of different than the norm marriage, consensual polygamy, will at least be part of the discussion.
Bigamy is illegal in most countries around the world. How do you explain that?

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
If polygamist's wanted to fight for the right to marry multiple people, they don't need to wait for Same-Sex Couples to get that right......they can start their fight all on their own, but first they must have polygamy decriminalized before they can fight for the right to marry multiple people!!!
Exactly. In this context it is simply a red herring.
Pietro Armando

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a crime.
NEXT
Perhaps in Utah. What other states ban a man from living with two or more consenting women, and referring to each of them as his wives? Or a woman from living with more than one consenting man and referring to each as her husband?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps in Utah. What other states ban a man from living with two or more consenting women, and referring to each of them as his wives? Or a woman from living with more than one consenting man and referring to each as her husband?
Bigamy is against the law in the United States. Bigamy is legally marrying more than one person at a time. Your argument is invalid. We are discussing bigamy. Are red herrings your stock and trade? Did the Jesuits teach you that? Too bad for you, I am hip to that game. Nice try though.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. But that wasn't the issue. After all, every other species beyond humans manages to reproduce without the need for marriage. And even humans reproduce without the need for marriage.
So what, again, is your point?
Yet virtual all human societies throughout human history have had some form marriage, some form of formaly recognizing the male female union. Why is that?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
And which predates the legal recognition of same-sex marriage.
So the legal recognition of same-sex marriage does not lead to the legal recognition of polygamy, since the legal recognition of polygamy is older.
<quoted text>
Why?
If women argue in favor of the vote, and get it, does that mean that giving the vote to 5-year-olds must be part of the discussion?
Huh? The issue is what adult consensual relationships should be legally recognized and in what manner.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet virtual all human societies throughout human history have had some form marriage, some form of formaly recognizing the male female union. Why is that?
Because they had common sense back in the day. Don't worry...the Supreme court will squash all this nonsense.....

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they had common sense back in the day. Don't worry...the Supreme court will squash all this nonsense.....
So, are ya already for the inaugural ball for Romney?

As for your belief that SCOTUS "will squash all this nonsense".,......I'd wait and see.....but I wouldn't count on it and even IF SCOTUS should rule in favor of both DOMA and Prop 8.......IT WON'T PUT AN END TO MARRIAGE EQUALITY.......it will just mean that we'd have to fight this another way......but this issue ISN'T going away......especially seeing as 3 new states have been added!!!

Oh and yes, most(including myself) didn't believe SCOTUS would hear an appeal on the Prop 8 case, but all that means is we now have a chance to have Olson and Boies make their argument in front of SCOTUS and Olson has NEVER lost a case when arguing in front of SCOTUS!!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Correction, Olson has argued over 50 cases in front of SCOTUS and has a 75% winning percentage........I think his chances of winning are rather high:-)

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Got any more funny stories?

Just like the Republicans and TeaTards took back the country right?

ROTFLMAO

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
If you're talking about the *origins* of marriage, then the most plausible explanations is that it improves the chances that a man can be assured that his children are actually his, and that society can minimize bloodshed between men over access to women.

In any event, now that men and women in the developed nations have more equal rights and people marry for reasons other than children, modern society sees a benefit in individual adults providing mutual support (whether or not they choose to raise children), so that those individuals don't have to depend upon society as much for their support.

So what's your point, again?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

So the legal recognition of same-sex marriage does not lead to the legal recognition of polygamy, since the legal recognition of polygamy is older.
<quoted text>
Why?
If women argue in favor of the vote, and get it, does that mean that giving the vote to 5-year-olds must be part of the discussion?
Pietro Armando wrote:
Huh? The issue is what adult consensual relationships should be legally recognized and in what manner.
It is? I thought your issue was that legal recognition of X must necessarily lead to a discussion of legal recognition of Y.

Isn't that your argument?
1 post removed

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're talking about the *origins* of marriage, then the most plausible explanations is that it improves the chances that a man can be assured that his children are actually his, and that society can minimize bloodshed between men over access to women.
In any event, now that men and women in the developed nations have more equal rights and people marry for reasons other than children, modern society sees a benefit in individual adults providing mutual support (whether or not they choose to raise children), so that those individuals don't have to depend upon society as much for their support.
So what's your point, again?
I believe it had a great deal to do with property rights and succession. This is why half-brothers killed each other often due to polygamy. Polygamy makes inheritance messy.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
So, are ya already for the inaugural ball for Romney?
As for your belief that SCOTUS "will squash all this nonsense".,......I'd wait and see.....but I wouldn't count on it and even IF SCOTUS should rule in favor of both DOMA and Prop 8.......IT WON'T PUT AN END TO MARRIAGE EQUALITY.......it will just mean that we'd have to fight this another way......but this issue ISN'T going away......especially seeing as 3 new states have been added!!!
Oh and yes, most(including myself) didn't believe SCOTUS would hear an appeal on the Prop 8 case, but all that means is we now have a chance to have Olson and Boies make their argument in front of SCOTUS and Olson has NEVER lost a case when arguing in front of SCOTUS!!!!
That is 'exactly' what will happen. SCOTUS will slap you down, and you will continue your fight in individual states....good luck with that...

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
That is 'exactly' what will happen. SCOTUS will slap you down, and you will continue your fight in individual states....good luck with that...
I don't believe SCOTUS is going to rule as you believe they are......but instead of getting into this with you, I'll say that we will know soon enough!!!

By the way, if SCOTUS rules against what you believe......are ya gonna go run and hide like ya did after Romney got his azz handed to him? I noticed you seem to ignore the fact that you claimed you were going to be going to Romney's inaugural ball.......lol!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and please explain why you believe SCOTUS will violate the Constitution and rule in your favor!!!

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe SCOTUS is going to rule as you believe they are......but instead of getting into this with you, I'll say that we will know soon enough!!!
By the way, if SCOTUS rules against what you believe......are ya gonna go run and hide like ya did after Romney got his azz handed to him? I noticed you seem to ignore the fact that you claimed you were going to be going to Romney's inaugural ball.......lol!!!
I didn't and don't 'hide' from anything. I have a life (unlike some of you) and don't always get the opportunity to daily contribute...however....as you said...we will see what SCOTUS does...

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't and don't 'hide' from anything. I have a life (unlike some of you) and don't always get the opportunity to daily contribute...however....as you said...we will see what SCOTUS does...
Right......I have a life outside of topix as well.....but you made a comment about going to Romney's inaugural ball and then disappeared when he lost........funny how that happens!!!

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Right......I have a life outside of topix as well.....but you made a comment about going to Romney's inaugural ball and then disappeared when he lost........funny how that happens!!!
Think what you want...it means nothing to me...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••