Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Apr 9, 2013 Full story: Religion Dispatched 3,766

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2833 Jul 13, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Has anyone ever asked you that, Bob? In public, I normally keep silent about my views unless asked.
One more public tale of humor, and I'll stop.

In my local Facebook Atheists group, one of the regular commentators returned to her car, to find what at first looks like a folded $20, but was a rather insulting religious tract. Something on the inside about "were you disappointed-- get saved and not be" or similar shyt.

She was only slightly annoyed, as this is unfortunately, too common around these parts. She tossed it in her backseat without any more thought than that.

But several days later? She came to location where the **exact** same fundie-church (as the fake $20) was trying to raise monies for some stupid something or other.

And it hit her: she still had their fake $20 somewhere in the backseat.... if she could find it... yes.. there it was.

She, with a grin, put the fake $20 into their donation bucket and said to the woman, "I hope you won't be disappointed"

Irony is a beautiful thing.

:D

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#2834 Jul 13, 2013
Watching a ghost show on television. Pretty creepy stuff to watch. I know it's a bunch of bullcrap, but it doesn't really diminish the fact that some of those tales can be rather scary.

Of course, that's the point of such tales-to scare you and make you not want to sleep-much like those Internet creepypastas if you've ever seen those-Internet horror stories.

I love the irony in your story.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2835 Jul 13, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Watching a ghost show on television. Pretty creepy stuff to watch. I know it's a bunch of bullcrap, but it doesn't really diminish the fact that some of those tales can be rather scary.
Of course, that's the point of such tales-to scare you and make you not want to sleep-much like those Internet creepypastas if you've ever seen those-Internet horror stories.
I love the irony in your story.
In spite of being a rationalist, one of my favorite fictional genres is vampire stories.

I think I enjoy the extremes they can represent-- someone with a great deal of power, yet so basically vulnerable.

And no, I don't read the ones that are basically blood-and-sex romances-- boooring.

I like the ones with mystery and intrigue.

Especially where the lines between who's good and who's not, are blurred; and the real distinction comes not from what they are, but how they act and how they treat people who are in their power.

To me?

The bottom line of good: treating people who are in your power, with dignity and respect.

Bottom line of evil: treating people who are in your power as things, as objects to be used and discarded at a whim.

And I have me a look at Republicans?(and many Democrats too) And I see how they treat people who they have power over?(like shyt-- is how they treat them) and I'm disgusted.

I also see a similar behavior among the so-called godly-- look at Pat Robertson's filth, for example-- how he treats people who are in his sway as if they are ants to be used, stepped on or ignored as he sees fit.

Evil.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#2836 Jul 16, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
In spite of being a rationalist, one of my favorite fictional genres is vampire stories.
I think I enjoy the extremes they can represent-- someone with a great deal of power, yet so basically vulnerable.
And no, I don't read the ones that are basically blood-and-sex romances-- boooring.
I like the ones with mystery and intrigue.
Especially where the lines between who's good and who's not, are blurred; and the real distinction comes not from what they are, but how they act and how they treat people who are in their power.
To me?
The bottom line of good: treating people who are in your power, with dignity and respect.
Bottom line of evil: treating people who are in your power as things, as objects to be used and discarded at a whim.
And I have me a look at Republicans?(and many Democrats too) And I see how they treat people who they have power over?(like shyt-- is how they treat them) and I'm disgusted.
I also see a similar behavior among the so-called godly-- look at Pat Robertson's filth, for example-- how he treats people who are in his sway as if they are ants to be used, stepped on or ignored as he sees fit.
Evil.
Oh no, I like vampire movies as well. This new series of vampire movies for the kiddies is a joke. I also don't care for Mr Robertson but I respect his success. Just to be up front about things, ministers have their places and their callings but NOTHING is better than demonstrating Godliness by living it instead of preaching it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2837 Jul 16, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Oh no, I like vampire movies as well. This new series of vampire movies for the kiddies is a joke. I also don't care for Mr Robertson but I respect his success. Just to be up front about things, ministers have their places and their callings but NOTHING is better than demonstrating Godliness by living it instead of preaching it.
Yet?

I see time and time and TIME again where the so-called "ministers" treat their flock (of sheep? appropriate) as if they **were** sheep to be sheared, to be used, to be cooked as mutton. The cheap kind you serve every day...

... in short? The people who they have a great deal of power over, they treat as if they were **things** to be used.

Time and time again, I saw this.

In fact? It was more often than not-- so much so, that whenever there was an actual minister who did **not** treat his or her flock as disposable tampons, it was **noteworthy**.

So rare was that event.

Why, if there **is** a god out there helping people, do this god's **ministers** act so abysmally all the time?

What possible **good** does this allowance create?

Why does not this god **correct** these "ministers" activities? Certainly the bible gives a plethora of examples where bible-god **does** correct wayward prophets and off-the-track god-representatives.

But it's even **worse** than that: these "ministers" are **actively** seeking divine guidance!

WHERE IS THIS GUIDANCE??

It appears to be 100% missing from their behaviors.....!!

WTF?
1 post removed

outdoors

#2839 Jul 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Yet?
I see time and time and TIME again where the so-called "ministers" treat their flock (of sheep? appropriate) as if they **were** sheep to be sheared, to be used, to be cooked as mutton. The cheap kind you serve every day...
... in short? The people who they have a great deal of power over, they treat as if they were **things** to be used.
Time and time again, I saw this.
In fact? It was more often than not-- so much so, that whenever there was an actual minister who did **not** treat his or her flock as disposable tampons, it was **noteworthy**.
So rare was that event.
Why, if there **is** a god out there helping people, do this god's **ministers** act so abysmally all the time?
What possible **good** does this allowance create?
Why does not this god **correct** these "ministers" activities? Certainly the bible gives a plethora of examples where bible-god **does** correct wayward prophets and off-the-track god-representatives.
But it's even **worse** than that: these "ministers" are **actively** seeking divine guidance!
WHERE IS THIS GUIDANCE??
It appears to be 100% missing from their behaviors.....!!
WTF?
I like the metaphor from a little team speach by Tom Landry. He spoke to his world champion Cowboys one day: "When things go great on the field, it's because you peo-ple are doing your jobs. When things go pretty good, it's because you and I are working together but when things go bad...it's MY fault." I've known some preachers like the ones you describe. More of them need to think like Tom Landry.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2840 Jul 16, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
. To accept that a loving god willingly murders his own son-and then also orders the murders of thousands of others in his own book and contradicts himself dozens of times.....that'd be impossible for me to believe.
"loving god willingly murders his own son"

God didn't murder Jesus. Whom are you talking about? must be a Greek or Roman god because the God of the bible is to always be capitalized.

"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "

http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...

http://www.libraryonline.com/default.asp...

"Capitalization Rules
There are many rules to capitalization. Most people know the basics of capitalization such as capitalizing the first letter of the first word at the beginning of a new sentence, but when is capitalization appropriate in other situations? Outlined below is a comprehensive guide providing rules and examples to proper capitalization.

Holy Bible

- Names for the Bible Capitalize all names for the Bible, for parts and versions of the Bible and all names of other sacred books.

Examples:
Bible -Scriptures -Word of God -Holy Bible -Old Testament -New Testament
-Gospels -Ten Commandments -Lord's Prayer -Gospels -Gospel of Luke
-King James Version
- Creeds and Confessions

Capitalize all names of creeds and confessions of faith and general Biblical terms.

Examples:
-Lord Supper - the Apostles Creed
-the Westminster Catechism -Nicene Creed

- Deity - Capitalize all names for Deity

Examples:
-Father -Almighty -God -Lord -Holy Spirit -Son of Man
-Messiah - Lord of Hosts -Redeemer -Savior - Holy Trinity

"The use of capitalization, as for a proper noun, has persisted to disambiguate the concept of a singular God, specifically the Christian God, from pagan deities for which lower case god has continued to be applied, mirroring the use of Latin deus. Pronouns referring to God are also often capitalized and are traditionally in the masculine gender, i.e. "He", "Him", "His" etc. However, some people have referred to God in feminine terms, such as "She" and "Her". "

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_ (word)

"god- Lowercase this when used as a prefix. Examples: godchild, goddaughter, godfather, godlike, godliness, godmother, godsend, godson, godspeed. Do not hyphenate
gods and goddesses

Capitalize God and similar names of the deity of a monotheistic religion: Allah, God, God the Father, Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit, Jehovah, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, the Son of God, the Son of Man, Yahweh.

http://www.gcsu.edu/communications/g.htm

Purdue OWLWriting LabOWL
NewsEngagementResearchContactS ite Map

General Writing Research and Citation Teaching and Tutoring Subject-Specific Writing Job Search Writing ESL
OWL Family of Sites > OWL > General Writing > Mechanics > Capital Letters

"The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books"

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/59...

Capitalization

Sacred Writings/God/Religions:

ex.: Bible, Qur'an, Book of Job (not underlined)

God, Allah. The rules about pronouns referring to the deity vary; some reference works state that "He" or"His" or "Thee" are capitalized whenever "God" is capitalized. Some writers always put the pronouns in lower case. Check with your professors about their requirements.

Proper names of gods are capitalized: Krishna, Hera, Odin. "

http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/cap...
Thinking

York, UK

#2841 Jul 16, 2013
jesus you're a Twunt.[sic]
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't murder Jesus. Whom are you talking about? must be a Greek or Roman god because the God of the bible is to always be capitalized.
"Indeed, it would be rather juvenile to misspell God simply in order to insult theists. If such an atheist had so little respect for another person, why even waste the time writing to them in the first place, much less deliberately trying to hurt them at the same time? While that may actually be the case with some atheists who write the word 'god' with a lowercase 'g,' "
http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/ca...
http://www.libraryonline.com/default.asp...
"Capitalization Rules
There are many rules to capitalization. Most people know the basics of capitalization such as capitalizing the first letter of the first word at the beginning of a new sentence, but when is capitalization appropriate in other situations? Outlined below is a comprehensive guide providing rules and examples to proper capitalization.
Holy Bible
- Names for the Bible Capitalize all names for the Bible, for parts and versions of the Bible and all names of other sacred books.
Examples:
Bible -Scriptures -Word of God -Holy Bible -Old Testament -New Testament
-Gospels -Ten Commandments -Lord's Prayer -Gospels -Gospel of Luke
-King James Version
- Creeds and Confessions
Capitalize all names of creeds and confessions of faith and general Biblical terms.
Examples:
-Lord Supper - the Apostles Creed
-the Westminster Catechism -Nicene Creed
- Deity - Capitalize all names for Deity
Examples:
-Father -Almighty -God -Lord -Holy Spirit -Son of Man
-Messiah - Lord of Hosts -Redeemer -Savior - Holy Trinity
"The use of capitalization, as for a proper noun, has persisted to disambiguate the concept of a singular God, specifically the Christian God, from pagan deities for which lower case god has continued to be applied, mirroring the use of Latin deus. Pronouns referring to God are also often capitalized and are traditionally in the masculine gender, i.e. "He", "Him", "His" etc. However, some people have referred to God in feminine terms, such as "She" and "Her". "
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_ (word)
"god- Lowercase this when used as a prefix. Examples: godchild, goddaughter, godfather, godlike, godliness, godmother, godsend, godson, godspeed. Do not hyphenate
gods and goddesses
Capitalize God and similar names of the deity of a monotheistic religion: Allah, God, God the Father, Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit, Jehovah, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, the Son of God, the Son of Man, Yahweh.
http://www.gcsu.edu/communications/g.htm
Purdue OWLWriting LabOWL
NewsEngagementResearchContactS ite Map
General Writing Research and Citation Teaching and Tutoring Subject-Specific Writing Job Search Writing ESL
OWL Family of Sites > OWL > General Writing > Mechanics > Capital Letters
"The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books"
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/59...
Capitalization
Sacred Writings/God/Religions:
ex.: Bible, Qur'an, Book of Job (not underlined)
God, Allah. The rules about pronouns referring to the deity vary; some reference works state that "He" or"His" or "Thee" are capitalized whenever "God" is capitalized. Some writers always put the pronouns in lower case. Check with your professors about their requirements.
Proper names of gods are capitalized: Krishna, Hera, Odin. "
http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/cap...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2842 Jul 16, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>I like the metaphor from a little team speach by Tom Landry. He spoke to his world champion Cowboys one day: "When things go great on the field, it's because you peo-ple are doing your jobs. When things go pretty good, it's because you and I are working together but when things go bad...it's MY fault." I've known some preachers like the ones you describe. More of them need to think like Tom Landry.
Good or bad, why doesn't your god intervene here?

At a bare minimum---**guide** them when they pray about things?

But what I see is chaos-- and zero guidance from any gods of any kind.

In fact?

There doesn't appear to be godlike guidance for **anyone** on **earth**.

How do we know?

Well....

... I don't know about you, but if a **god** were behind someone? They would be so far above and beyond the very **best** that a mere human had to offer, that it'd be both obvious and unquestionable.

But there is **nothing** like that-- anywhere on earth.

Hmmmm...

... it's as if the god in question ...

... was simply...

.... not there.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2843 Jul 16, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't murder Jesus.
False.

Unless you are willing to ADMIT that your god IS NOT IN CHARGE?

If that's the case?

Your god is a wimp.... and not a god at all!

outdoors

#2844 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Good or bad, why doesn't your god intervene here?
At a bare minimum---**guide** them when they pray about things?
But what I see is chaos-- and zero guidance from any gods of any kind.
In fact?
There doesn't appear to be godlike guidance for **anyone** on **earth**.
How do we know?
Well....
... I don't know about you, but if a **god** were behind someone? They would be so far above and beyond the very **best** that a mere human had to offer, that it'd be both obvious and unquestionable.
But there is **nothing** like that-- anywhere on earth.
Hmmmm...
... it's as if the god in question ...
... was simply...
.... not there.
Too easy, bob- unlike the Nazi's, God's criteria for being Chosen is much easier to accomplish: "Believe in Me, accept Me, accept My Son as your Savior." We don't have to be the biggest, the strongest or the smartest to be rewarded. In the end, faith and acceptance are all we have. I wish I could prove there is God to you, but I cannot- I only have my Faith and it's a great feeling.

outdoors

#2845 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
False.
Unless you are willing to ADMIT that your god IS NOT IN CHARGE?
If that's the case?
Your god is a wimp.... and not a god at all!
C'mon, bob, the crucifixion of Jesus is the basis for Christianity. He died and suffered for our sins- don't play dumb.
Thinking

York, UK

#2846 Jul 17, 2013
The crucifixion was just a sex game that got out of hand.
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>C'mon, bob, the crucifixion of Jesus is the basis for Christianity. He died and suffered for our sins- don't play dumb.
LCN Llin

United States

#2847 Jul 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
First, what does it mean when phrasing is "Just a sex game? Awkward phrasing is prose that is clumsily written, and therefore, moronic.
Awkward phrasing is often posted under you alias septic
LCN Llin

United States

#2848 Jul 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>

First, what does it mean when phrasing is "Just a sex game? Awkward phrasing is prose that is clumsily written, and therefore, moronic.
Awkward phrasing is often posted under *your* alias septic
Thinking

York, UK

#2849 Jul 17, 2013
1. Are you *really* trying to call me on grammar? Your posts are usually a car crash.

2. I only post as "Thinking". Don't judge everyone by your piss poor standards.
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
LCN Llin

United States

#2850 Jul 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
1. Are you *really* trying to call me on grammar? Your posts are usually a car crash.
2. I only post as "Thinking". Don't judge everyone by your piss poor standards.
<quoted text>
Whiny
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining as if by skeptic.
LOL

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2851 Jul 17, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Too easy, bob- unlike the Nazi's, God's criteria for being Chosen is much easier to accomplish: "Believe in Me, accept Me, accept My Son as your Savior." We don't have to be the biggest, the strongest or the smartest to be rewarded. In the end, faith and acceptance are all we have. I wish I could prove there is God to you, but I cannot- I only have my Faith and it's a great feeling.
If you could prove god, you would not need to make such an a$$ of yourself in this forum, because you would have evidence, instead of empty childish lies.

Location hidden

#2852 Jul 17, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>C'mon, bob, the crucifixion of Jesus is the basis for Christianity. He died and suffered for our sins- don't play dumb.
Just saying it happened does not make it true. You need evidence and until you have it, you're to be regarded as a common worthless liar.

When your cult teaches you bravery and honesty, please let atheists know.

Location hidden

#2853 Jul 17, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Just prove your god there's a good liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min Brian_G 51,360
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 30 min ChristineM 141,890
With State of the Union, Obama sets agenda ... ... 42 min Chicopee 122
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 44 min yaz 304,498
Body cameras for cops could be the biggest chan... 56 min no fatties 4 me 2,394
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 56 min Cowobunga 57,059
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? 1 hr kathrinalewis 2,306
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr mdbuilder 1,172,481
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Limbertwig 168,116
Scott Walker has no college degree. That's norm... 6 hr Lawrence Wolf 622
More from around the web