Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Atheist Islamophobia... Again

There are 3766 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Apr 9, 2013, titled Atheist Islamophobia... Again. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2585 Jun 23, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Dolt! You are just showing off you ignorance. But nothing new about that.
no, you are just showing off your ignorance of these theories you think you can debunk.

even though we don't fully understand everything about gravity, our theory gives us enough to land a teeny satellite on a spinning, rotating asteroid millions of miles away, or on the moons of Saturn.

we can even calculate the time dilation caused by the gravity well of the Earth warping space-time and use that for correct GPS location...

so you think this theory should be thrown out even though it works quite well for the technological level we are at now...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2586 Jun 23, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, you are just showing off your ignorance of these theories you think you can debunk.

even though we don't fully understand everything about gravity, our theory gives us enough to land a teeny satellite on a spinning, rotating asteroid millions of miles away, or on the moons of Saturn.

we can even calculate the time dilation caused by the gravity well of the Earth warping space-time and use that for correct GPS location...

so you think this theory should be thrown out even though it works quite well for the technological level we are at now...
Typical response from a Dolt.

Because something fails as a scientific Theory does not mean it is not a good equation that works on something.

What an idiot, showing of your lack of brains again?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2587 Jun 23, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical response from a Dolt.
Because something fails as a scientific Theory does not mean it is not a good equation that works on something.
What an idiot, showing of your lack of brains again?
No, you are showing your lack of understanding of what it means to be a scientific theory. Your wiki quotes notwithstanding.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2588 Jun 23, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
But it supports your theory's. LOL
It's spelled "theories," and posting it over and over again does not make it support your god any more.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#2590 Jun 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are showing your lack of understanding of what it means to be a scientific theory. Your wiki quotes notwithstanding.
How many times must I point it out that the experts are claiming you can't have to everywheres. Yet you insist it's me that doesn't understand.

BRIAN GREENE, S. JAMES GATES, JR and Wikipedia all disagree with you.
So don't say I don't understand.

Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.

A scientific theory in one branch of science must hold true in all of the other branches of science.

From Nova:

"For decades, every attempt to describe the force of gravity in the same language as the other forces—the language of quantum mechanics—has met with disaster

S. JAMES GATES, JR.: You try to put those two pieces of mathematics together, they do not coexist peacefully.
The laws of nature are supposed to apply everywhere. So if Einstein's laws are supposed to apply everywhere, and the laws of quantum mechanics are supposed to apply everywhere, well you can't have two separate everywheres.

BRIAN GREENE: In the years since, physics split into two separate camps: one that uses general relativity to study big and heavy objects, things like stars, galaxies and the universe as a whole...

...and another that uses quantum mechanics to study the tiniest of objects, like atoms and particles. This has been kind of like having two families that just cannot get along and never talk to each other...
There just seemed to be no way to combine quantum mechanics...

and general relativity in a single theory that could describe the universe on all scales.

So here's the question: if you're trying to figure out what happens in the depths of a black hole, where an entire star is crushed to a tiny speck, do you use general relativity because the star is incredibly heavy or quantum mechanics because it's incredibly tiny?

Well, that's the problem. Since the center of a black hole is both tiny and heavy, you can't avoid using both theories at the same time. And when we try to put the two theories together in the realm of black holes, they conflict. It breaks down. They give nonsensical predictions. And the universe is not nonsensical; it's got to make sense.

BRIAN GREENE: It's a little known secret but for more than half a century a dark cloud has been looming over modern science. Here's the problem: our understanding of the universe is based on two separate theories. One is Einstein's general theory of relativity—that's a way of understanding the biggest things in the universe, things like stars and galaxies. But the littlest things in the universe, atoms and subatomic particles, play by an entirely different set of rules called, "quantum Mechanics"

These two sets of rules are each incredibly accurate in their own domain but whenever we try to combine them, to solve some of the deepest mysteries in the universe, disaster strikes.

Take the beginning of the universe, the "big bang." At that instant a tiny nugget erupted violently. Over the next 14 billion years the universe expanded and cooled into the stars, galaxies and planets we see today. But if we run the cosmic film in reverse, everything that's now rushing apart comes back together, so the universe gets smaller, hotter and denser as we head back to the beginning of time.

As we reach the big bang, when the universe was both enormously heavy and incredibly tiny, our projector jams. Our two laws of physics, when combined, break down.

Location hidden

#2591 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>It's spelled "theories," and posting it over and over again does not make it support your god any more.
Yes it is.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#2592 Jun 23, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times must I point it out that the experts are claiming you can't have to everywheres. Yet you insist it's me that doesn't understand.
yes, it is *you* that does not understand. You blindly quote from wikipedia rather than understanding what real scientists are trying to say. You don't understand that GR and QM are not 'broken' by any actual observations, so both are perfectly good scientific theories. Even in the case of contrary observations, it may be possible that minor changes are all that is required and not a complete elimination.

Furthermore, you fail to understand that any of the well-tested areas of GR and QM will be maintained by any future theory *because* they have been tested. So gravitational lensing and entanglement are not going anywhere.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#2593 Jun 23, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is.
No, actually, it does not. Your God went out with the middle ages and has never recovered, in spite of the flailing of the apologists.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#2594 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
People who wish You well may be theists, agnostics and/or atheists.
People of good will may be found with differing beliefs?
You may wish her good health, but you continue to believe in a god that will sentence her and every atheists to a fiery inferno for eternity not because we are criminals, but because we have no faith.
1 post removed

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2596 Jun 24, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You may wish her good health, but you continue to believe in a god that will sentence her and every atheists to a fiery inferno for eternity not because we are criminals, but because we have no faith.
I'm sorry, however this is a problem with religious fanatics and atheists alike, the entire notion that they're all the same. Not all christians actually abide by the bible, many consider it all allegory and make no mistake in calling it fact. While the belief is more akin to deism, it's not the same as the fanatic christians. He has not once condemned me, and though I may have missed some, I have not seen him condemn atheists in general. It is only a delusion when they assert that their religious beliefs are fact, and it's only harmful when they attempt to force these beliefs into laws. Otherwise, it makes no matter what they believe, so long as that belief is used to justify harming anyone else. I don't even care if they deny science, so long as they do not interfere with the educational standards of the species, as long as all children are offered the highest level of education the beliefs of the parents are inconsequential as well.

Eventually everyone will discard superstition for logic and reason, but to force it on those who are harming no one would merely create more resistance. Now I may be wrong in my assessment of LNC Lin, AKA Lincoln, but so far I have no reason to believe that he would ever truly force his way of life onto others. As often stated, we are all entitled to our own opinions where there is no harm done by them.

St. Croix valley

#2597 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, however this is a problem with religious fanatics and atheists alike, the entire notion that they're all the same. Not all christians actually abide by the bible, many consider it all allegory and make no mistake in calling it fact. While the belief is more akin to deism, it's not the same as the fanatic christians. He has not once condemned me, and though I may have missed some, I have not seen him condemn atheists in general. It is only a delusion when they assert that their religious beliefs are fact, and it's only harmful when they attempt to force these beliefs into laws. Otherwise, it makes no matter what they believe, so long as that belief is used to justify harming anyone else. I don't even care if they deny science, so long as they do not interfere with the educational standards of the species, as long as all children are offered the highest level of education the beliefs of the parents are inconsequential as well.
Eventually everyone will discard superstition for logic and reason, but to force it on those who are harming no one would merely create more resistance. Now I may be wrong in my assessment of LNC Lin, AKA Lincoln, but so far I have no reason to believe that he would ever truly force his way of life onto others. As often stated, we are all entitled to our own opinions where there is no harm done by them.
I don't think Lincoln really has any true beliefs. he's like a kid that likes to throw firecrackers into the bonfire to see people jump.

i really don't think he has the serious intelligence to codify his own personal thoughts into a belief system or any kind of serious world view.

sorry, to put it in blogspeak, he is a troll or a parrot...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2598 Jun 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think Lincoln really has any true beliefs. he's like a kid that likes to throw firecrackers into the bonfire to see people jump.
i really don't think he has the serious intelligence to codify his own personal thoughts into a belief system or any kind of serious world view.
sorry, to put it in blogspeak, he is a troll or a parrot...
Or possibly curious and undecided? I went through a similar phase when I was young, as I was trying to justify the beliefs I didn't really believe in.

St. Croix valley

#2599 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Or possibly curious and undecided? I went through a similar phase when I was young, as I was trying to justify the beliefs I didn't really believe in.
could be...s/he does often spew the cult rhetoric and certainly lies often enough about atheists, so it seems his mind is set on one world view, but not serious enough to really try to defend it, or maybe not capable.

we have overlooked the possibility that s/he is dumb as prairie dust...she seems to parrot a lot of worn out talking points without thinking them through, and then when shown with conclusive, verifiable evidence that they are wrong, repeats them again...

I believe Bob has had far more contact with this person than i. i would be interested in his take on this dissection of Lincoln's motives, thought process and world view..
LNC Llin

United States

#2600 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
another movie quotation:
"Never explain, your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it" This may be Cary Grant in an old black and white movie?
Agree
Fanatics seem troubling.
LNC Llin

United States

#2601 Jun 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>could be...s/he does often spew the cult rhetoric and certainly lies often enough about atheists, so it seems his mind is set on one world view, but not serious enough to really try to defend it, or maybe not capable.
we have overlooked the possibility that s/he is dumb as prairie dust...she seems to parrot a lot of worn out talking points without thinking them through, and then when shown with conclusive, verifiable evidence that they are wrong, repeats them again...
I believe Bob has had far more contact with this person than i. i would be interested in his take on this dissection of Lincoln's motives, thought process and world view..
People May have different views than yours without being in a "cult"? Think about it?

St. Croix valley

#2602 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
People May have different views than yours without being in a "cult"? Think about it?
you spew cult rhetoric without even knowing it then?

perhaps you were secretly abducted by aliens and they imprinted the cult mantra into your brain?

St. Croix valley

#2603 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
another movie quotation:
"Never explain, your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it" This may be Cary Grant in an old black and white movie?
Agree
Fanatics seem troubling.
world view based on hollywood movies?

how deep of you...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2604 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
another movie quotation:
Agree
Fanatics seem troubling.
Failed creationist trolls with just 6 days left on the clock. Thinks changing his name from Lincoln is gonna save him...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#2605 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
another movie quotation:
Agree
Fanatics seem troubling.
I have not heard that one until now, I like it.
LNC Llin

United States

#2606 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not heard that one until now, I like it.
Thanks
Watch films with my wife, read a bit.
I enjoy your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trumpa s bizarre California GOP conventi... 1 min FancyButtPirate 9
News Michelle Obama offers praise for Hillary Clinto... 2 min Three Days 5
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Yeah 380,983
News Republicans downplay Trump rally unrest in Cali... 4 min FancyButtPirate 32
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 4 min Liberte 357
2016 President of the U.S. Is 9 min Protester 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Abe 222,614
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 17 min Three Days 1,715
News N.C., Miss. 'religious freedom' measures hardly... 48 min Imprtnrd 635
News Is single-payer healthcare dead in the U.S., or... 1 hr spud 192
More from around the web