House Republican sends Bible to every...

House Republican sends Bible to every member of Congress

There are 76 comments on the Fox News story from Aug 5, 2014, titled House Republican sends Bible to every member of Congress. In it, Fox News reports that:

If the solution to the dysfunctional Congress can be found in any book, it might just be the Good Book.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

Straw Grasping Teabaggers

Providence, UT

#29 Aug 5, 2014
The Gideons tried the same thing with motels. Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Larry Craig et al ignored the fundies.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#30 Aug 5, 2014
OPEC/UAE is our drug dealer

“My Commander-in-Chi ef!”

Since: Jun 07

Obama got Osama!

#31 Aug 5, 2014
Gunny Sgt Hartman wrote:
<quoted text>
Just got back from a day trip to Parris Island, since it is only about 55 klicks from my home. Spoke with the Base Commandant. Said you AND Obama are an embarrassment to his beloved Corps. Still the only person more disliked by the proud men and women of the Corps is Jane Fonda Fonda, Obama, and Patsy. In that order.
And yet you are so insignificant that I didn’t even think about you a second after glancing at your first post… but here you are talking about me in your delusional mentally unstable fantasy.
Something is seriously wrong with you…
TashaGloom

Goldsboro, NC

#32 Aug 6, 2014
LOL

there are some gnarly verses in that bible. one says we should stone disobedient chldren. i think we need to change "children" to "politicians".

and i'm pretty sure moses was pro abortion at least in cases of cheating wives. he goes so far as to mention a specific method to use.

my only bit of advise......RAISE the literacy rate in your state sir. that way the people have a fighting chance to make an EDUCATED decision.
Straw Grasping Teabaggers

Providence, UT

#33 Aug 6, 2014
TashaGloom wrote:
LOL
there are some gnarly verses in that bible. one says we should stone disobedient chldren. i think we need to change "children" to "politicians".
and i'm pretty sure moses was pro abortion at least in cases of cheating wives. he goes so far as to mention a specific method to use.
my only bit of advise......RAISE the literacy rate in your state sir. that way the people have a fighting chance to make an EDUCATED decision.
Like the fake Constitution thumpers, that fake 'Christian' crowd only invokes certain passages they believe will pass themselves off as what they are not.
1 post removed

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#35 Aug 6, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
Like, for instance, "judge not lest thee be judged".??
Or better yet, which is one to do when injured? Turn the other cheek OR an eye for an eye?
Go ahead. Use ALL of the Bible.
Leviticus is such a hoot !!! Be sure to keep a large stash of lambs and pigeons for frying up to the Lord of the Bible.
<LOL>
I will not cast my pearls before swine........

Paris

#36 Aug 6, 2014
Straw Grasping Teabaggers wrote:
The Gideons tried the same thing with motels. Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Larry Craig et al ignored the fundies.
Yawn, Clinton, Kennedy's and of course Weinner..........

Paris

#37 Aug 6, 2014
Straw Grasping Teabaggers wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the fake Constitution thumpers, that fake 'Christian' crowd only invokes certain passages they believe will pass themselves off as what they are not.
Your passages of the communist manifesto you keep using invokes certain stupidity..........since it has never worked.

Paris

#38 Aug 6, 2014
TashaGloom wrote:
LOL
Double up on your meds. Then prove your lies.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#39 Aug 6, 2014
This is Bull
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#40 Aug 6, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I will not cast my pearls before swine........
See. Even you know how to pick and choose for effect.

<nice one>

<LOL>
fatbacks x

Portland, OR

#41 Aug 6, 2014
Gunny Sgt Hartman wrote:
<quoted text>Just got back from a day trip to Parris Island, since it is only about 55 klicks from my home. Spoke with the Base Commandant. Said you AND Obama are an embarrassment to his beloved Corps. Still the only person more disliked by the proud men and women of the Corps is Jane Fonda Fonda, Obama, and Patsy. In that order.
Like a base commandant has time to read this site. No wonder country gets it's as= kicked in it's corporate generated wars.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#42 Aug 6, 2014
californio wrote:
But if some one wants to send every Congress critter a Bible or a Talmud, or a Koran, or a copy of Darwin origin of Species why should anyone care or it make the News.Im willing to bet your average Congress Critters gets enough stuff mailed to him/her to read every day to make the affordable care act to look like light reading.
One quibble. Apart from Origin of the Species, every other tome you refer to bespeaks a level of intellect that does not lend itself to leadership.

Location hidden

#43 Aug 6, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I will not cast my pearls before swine........
Much to the Tea Party's regret.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#44 Aug 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>One quibble. Apart from Origin of the Species, every other tome you refer to bespeaks a level of intellect that does not lend itself to leadership.
Guess the like s of the Dalai ama and Martin Luthor King are not great leaders in your eyes.
Can anyone guess who said this(Hint he is a famous RELIGIOUS LEADER)
God is Strength: "Who am I? I have no strength save what God gives me. I have no authority over my countrymen save the pure moral. If He holds me to be a pure instrument for the spread of non-violence in place of the awful violence now ruling the earth, He will give me the strength and show me the way. My greatest weapon is mute prayer. The cause of peace is therefore, in God's good hands."
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#45 Aug 6, 2014
At least the bible man did not send copies of Green Eggs and Ham!
Bigfoot

Silsbee, TX

#46 Aug 6, 2014
californio wrote:
<quoted text> Guess the like s of the Dalai ama and Martin Luthor King are not great leaders in your eyes.
God is Strength: "Who am I? I have no strength save what God gives me. I have no authority over my countrymen save the pure moral. If He holds me to be a pure instrument for the spread of non-violence in place of the awful violence now ruling the earth, He will give me the strength and show me the way. My greatest weapon is mute prayer. The cause of peace is therefore, in God's good hands."
Hillary Clinton ?
1 post removed

Location hidden

#48 Aug 6, 2014
californio wrote:
<quoted text> Guess the like s of the Dalai ama and Martin Luthor King are not great leaders in your eyes.
You're forcing me to revise my previous statement. Leadership includes the ability to inspire others, whether for good or ill. But presenting bibles to others as a source of wisdom suggests to me a limited intellect. Spiritual inspiration can come from a sense of oneness with the universe, or from a sense that you have a purpose in life, or from others who have inspired you. For some, I suppose bibles may be one such source.

But it is quite another matter to believe that the bible supersedes, or is a substitute for, rational thought and science in getting to the truth of things. So giving it to others as a teaching tool or as a guide to making policy strikes me as an irrational dependence on superstition in favor of fact-based rational thought. It also allows for wild interpretations and distortions of its words, which can sometimes lead to bigotry and self-righteousness.

MLK may have been spiritually inspired, but he developed practical strategies for accomplishing his goals. He did not pass out bibles as a teaching instrument. He recognized an injustice, obvious to others, and laid out a plan to confront it, realizing that it was he, not a book, who would have to inspire others to fight this injustice.

So thanks for making me think more deeply about my prior statement about bibles and leadership.
helene

Aiken, SC

#49 Aug 6, 2014
republicans are killer Christians They pretend they believe in God to fool you suckers. Thou Shalt Not Kill. That's one of the 10 commandments So if I kill my self is that a sin? thats my plan. Get that fing Israel Jew we give millions too and hang by the nuts. That way he can't get his kicks from warmongering .Stealing land from Palestine. That's whats started this whole mess along with simpleton Bush. We stick up for jews because they own America.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#50 Aug 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You're forcing me to revise my previous statement. Leadership includes the ability to inspire others, whether for good or ill. But presenting bibles to others as a source of wisdom suggests to me a limited intellect. Spiritual inspiration can come from a sense of oneness with the universe, or from a sense that you have a purpose in life, or from others who have inspired you. For some, I suppose bibles may be one such source.
But it is quite another matter to believe that the bible supersedes, or is a substitute for, rational thought and science in getting to the truth of things. So giving it to others as a teaching tool or as a guide to making policy strikes me as an irrational dependence on superstition in favor of fact-based rational thought. It also allows for wild interpretations and distortions of its words, which can sometimes lead to bigotry and self-righteousness.
MLK may have been spiritually inspired, but he developed practical strategies for accomplishing his goals. He did not pass out bibles as a teaching instrument. He recognized an injustice, obvious to others, and laid out a plan to confront it, realizing that it was he, not a book, who would have to inspire others to fight this injustice.
So thanks for making me think more deeply about my prior statement about bibles and leadership.
Thanks. We should all try to inspire other to think or at least try to understand that other people have different world views. But I guess it just more fun to use grade school insults on those that disagree with us.
The quote is from MaHatma Gandhi if you are interested.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to go? (Jun '15) 3 min Into The Night 12,501
News Trump campaign, RNC convene Hispanic outreach e... 6 min Wildchild 2
News Fact Check: Trump Twists Facts on Clinton's Imm... 6 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 4
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 10 min Surgit Tempestas 7,351
News In-person voting fraud is rare, doesn't affect ... 11 min Christians In Nam... 146
News Why it Matters: Income inequality 17 min Christians In Nam... 347
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Dr Guru 222,238
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 28 min IND 239,616
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 31 min Quirky 235
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 46 min Yeah 1,417,172
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr Yeah 393,370
More from around the web