Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Headline already in use”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14878 Dec 22, 2013
EXCLUSIVE – Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson breaks his silence: Reality show star says he’s 'a lover not a hater' but REFUSES to back down from anti-gay comments
Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson is sticking by controversial comments he made about homosexuality to GQ magazine
He told MailOnline that he was simply quoting from the Bible in saying that homosexuality is a sin
In the GQ interview, Robertson said:'Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong… Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there... Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men'
Fans and supporters in his hometown of West Monroe, Louisiana have been vocal in support of Robertson
TV network A&E suspended Robertson from the show over the comments
A source close to the situation says they have no plans to fire him
Cracker Barrel pulled Duck Dynasty items from its shelves but quickly reinstated them after customers complained
Duck Dynasty regularly pulls in more than 12 million viewers
By WILL PAYNE IN WEST MONROE, LOUISIANA
PUBLISHED: 21:56 GMT, 22 December 2013 | UPDATED: 02:46 GMT, 23 December 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25280...

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#14879 Dec 23, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Brian_G = Village Idiot
He's such a joke, we might as well keep telling them.

How do you make a homophobe's eyes light up?
Shine a torch in his ears.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14880 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
EXCLUSIVE – Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson breaks his silence: Reality show star says he’s 'a lover not a hater' but REFUSES to back down from anti-gay comments
Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson is sticking by controversial comments he made about homosexuality to GQ magazine
He told MailOnline that he was simply quoting from the Bible in saying that homosexuality is a sin
In the GQ interview, Robertson said:'Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong… Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there... Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men'
Fans and supporters in his hometown of West Monroe, Louisiana have been vocal in support of Robertson
Cracker Barrel pulled Duck Dynasty items from its shelves but quickly reinstated them after customers complained
How is the recent ruling in Utah working out for you? Face it Brian, you are on the losing side.

Now please consider what the Bible says about your meddling behavior.

1 Peter 4:15

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief maker.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#14881 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I oppose gays openly serving in the military only because esprit de corp and morale are higher values when it comes to winning wars. I don't want to turn our military into a social experiment, thank you very much...
How's that working out for you clod?

http://gawker.com/heres-a-touching-video-from...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/04/we...

Location hidden

#14882 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
BTW. Robert J. Shelby, the federal judge who wrote the opinion, has a vested interest in the outcome. The only biographical data I find says he's not married, has a life partner and is no supporter of the traditional reproduction because he has two adopted children. He was nominated by Obama in 2011, is his life partner a gay man?
How does adopting children translate into "no supporter of the traditional reproduction"??

I see. A couple decides to adopt 2 children that most likely some heterosexuals created and then gave away, and you seek to besmirch them for the generosity and love they extended to these 2 children. You're vile.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14883 Dec 23, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
He's such a joke, we might as well keep telling them.
How do you make a homophobe's eyes light up?
Shine a torch in his ears.
3 gay men go into a bar. There's only one empty stool.
How do you seat all 3 of them?
Turn the stool over.

Location hidden

#14884 Dec 23, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Turn the stool over.
Don't give up your day job. Oh wait, that would imply you have one.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#14885 Dec 23, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Turn the stool over.
That was a joke in my junior high locker room.

What are you doing lurking in junior high boy's locker rooms?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14886 Dec 23, 2013
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a joke in my junior high locker room.
What are you doing lurking in junior high boy's locker rooms?
And NOT funny then either.....ugh:(

Home, sweet home.

#14887 Dec 23, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
How is the recent ruling in Utah working out for you? Face it Brian, you are on the losing side. Now please consider what the Bible says about your meddling behavior. 1 Peter 4:15 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) 15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief maker.
The Shelby ruling just goes to prove an Obama appointed federal judge ignores law and precedent to rewrite marriage law to fit his own moral code. We've seen leftists on the courts ignore law long enough.

Location hidden

#14888 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The Shelby ruling just goes to prove an Obama appointed federal judge ignores law and precedent to rewrite marriage law to fit his own moral code. We've seen leftists on the courts ignore law long enough.
No you nitwit, it proves that a Federal Judge, one endorsed by Mike Lee and Orin Hatch (2 leading Republicans from Utah) is capable of interpreting the law without the bias that the right would wish he would fall back on. He didn't rewrite any law.

Hey there coward, how about you review the 53 page ruling and you get back to us with specifics that support your accusation of bias.

I gave you Judge Walkers findings, you still cowardly avoid demonstrating the bias you accuse him of.

Why such a coward Brian?

Home, sweet home.

#14889 Dec 23, 2013
Judge Walker's bias is shown in his list of uncontested facts, as is the bias of the State of California.

I've told you about Judge Shelby's bias, he admitted he ruled out of sympathy for a mascot victim group, not law or precedent. He described that bias in his ruling, where he cited historic prejudice against homosexuals. Read the ruling yourself, its based on sympathy and social justice, not law or the expected application of precedent.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14890 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
"I'm a lover", says Robertson, to the gay people whom he says are full of murder. Everybody feel the love? What a cuddly bear.
barry

Pisgah, AL

#14891 Dec 23, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
HOW one gets married doesn't affect what constitutes the marriage. The marriage will ALWAYS be the same.
Yes, I've heard of adjectives princess. And unlike you I know how to employ them. In this case, they ALWAYS describe the participants, not the ceremony. It's called English dear, perhaps you heard of it.
we are talking about a wedding, an event. your "marriage" on paper may have the same legal standing in the eyes of the law. but we have been talking about an event. the florist did not try to stop them from getting married, she just did not want to be associated with the event. a ss wedding.
barry

Pisgah, AL

#14892 Dec 23, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, she wasn't asked anything, because she offered her refusal first.
Secondly, her place of business makes flowers. That is what she was going to be asked to do. If she didn't like how or where they were going to be used, too bad.
Thirdly, don't start out responses to me with "so you deny". It's childish. If I'm going to deny something I will. I don't need you to speak for me. It's insulting given your lack of education.
Whether she "condones" of her patrons relationships, marriages, anniversaries, funerals, proms, or any other thing is irrelevant. She is employed as a FLORIST, not a JUDGE. Patrons coming into her business aren't doing so under the guise of receiving her approval.
And she wasn't asked to be part of the wedding. She was being employed.
<quoted text>
I don't sound dumb at all, you do. She was free to not approve of their wedding the entire time she made the arrangements. She was never once prevented from being the bigot that she is. She was never asked to alter her religious bigotry in any way.
She broke the law. She's a bigot. She probably believes in "justifiable discrimination" like another bigot I know.
"First of all, she wasn't asked anything, because she offered her refusal first."
apparently they did ask her to service their wedding and then she declined.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/19/us-...
"Secondly, her place of business makes flowers.,,, If she didn't like how or where they were going to be used, too bad."
so instead of using her artistic ability to produce something that they would not be satisfied with she politely declined.
"Thirdly, don't start out responses to me with "so you deny". It's childish."
were your feelings hurt? then get over it. you were in fact denying that she was asked to condone their marriage she was in fact asked to have a part in the event.
and if as you say she was being"employed", then there is enough legal case law that would suggest that the employer must make accommodations for the religious convictions of the employee. i'll be the word "employee" is never brought up by the aclu in their case and i'll bet the ag will never have a chance to use it at all as his case will never make it to court.

so if she was free to "not approve of their wedding the entire time she made the arrangements", was she then free to make the arrangements in such a way as to obviously express here lack of approval?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#14893 Dec 23, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>we are talking about a wedding, an event. your "marriage" on paper may have the same legal standing in the eyes of the law. but we have been talking about an event. the florist did not try to stop them from getting married, she just did not want to be associated with the event. a ss wedding.
Just like Orval Faubus had no intention of stopping black students from getting educated. He just didn't want that in his white schools.
barry

Pisgah, AL

#14894 Dec 23, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Far right does not understand. For one week would like if every business in USA would say NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED. Let them see what it is like.
it's been done before. it is being done in parts of our world today. Christianity survived and will survive.

Home, sweet home.

#14895 Dec 23, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
"I'm a lover", says Robertson, to the gay people whom he says are full of murder. Everybody feel the love? What a cuddly bear.
The only person I've read saying "gay people [] are full of murder" is Eddy, where does he find that quote?

In the video, he was speaking of sinners, not gays. He didn't mention the word "gay" or homosexual in the video, not once. He was quoting a bible verse, Romans 1:26-32.

Judge the sin, not the sinner, that's what Phil says.

Location hidden

#14896 Dec 23, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Turn the stool over.
Don't bother with stand up comedy. You won't make it with that nonsense.

Might have been funny, if you were eleven years old.

Location hidden

#14897 Dec 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The only person I've read saying "gay people [] are full of murder" is Eddy, where does he find that quote?
In the video, he was speaking of sinners, not gays. He didn't mention the word "gay" or homosexual in the video, not once. He was quoting a bible verse, Romans 1:26-32.
Judge the sin, not the sinner, that's what Phil says.
Matthew 7:1 says you are not supposed to judge at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min Eagle 12 21,232
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min syamsu 205,289
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Yeah 1,420,241
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Yeah 393,401
News Pro-Clinton super PAC to invest in ground opera... 12 min DR X 10
News Trending Now 25 Mins Ago Anthony Weiner caught ... 17 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 9
49ers Quarter Back 17 min VN Vet 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 20 min Limbertwig 239,974
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 37 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 8,008
News Who is the real 'racist,' Clinton or Trump? Thi... 1 hr Quirky 139
More from around the web