Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14075 Nov 27, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>

Again......the majority DOES NOT get to deny a minority group rights just because the majority DOESN'T like who they are
I don't like rapists, necrophiliacs, or zoophiles. I know they think they have a RIGHT to practice their proclivities, but I happen to disagree...

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14076 Nov 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
How is it define in your state? What is the "official" definition?
From the Washington State Legislature site: "Marriage is a civil contract between two persons who have each attained the age of eighteen years, and who are otherwise capable."

There's more if you care to read further details:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx...

It certainly doesn't say anything about defining it as "one man, one woman", so keep in mind that legal definitions vary across the country. There isn't just ONE.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#14077 Nov 27, 2013
Old Friend of the Family wrote:
I am so sorry! I had no IDEA my posts would be so offensive to you!
I never said I was offended, you don't need to assume that.

What I DID do was ask a number of questions, but none of them got answered. That's ok, I'm quite used to that from people who oppose gay rights. Direct and pointed questions have a way of being ignored by people who do not have answers.
Maybe at times I just have trouble putting myself in someone else's shoes.
It certainly sounds that way. Don't you think that's a valuable trait to have?
I need to spend more time pursuing information that tells the TRUTH about homosexuality instead of perpetuating Media Myths!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wImRXN5Y5-wXX
This link produces an error when the video tries to play. It looks like a cartoon, in any case.

If you want to pursue truth (no need for all-caps on that word) about homosexuality, maybe you should try ASKING HOMOSEXUALS, instead of relying on the media (or cartoons) at all.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#14078 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Pedophiles are a minority. I say we deny them the right to molest children.
I'm sure you find me "intolerant"...
bump.(want to make sure you get your prize)

No, I find you idiotic. Are there any more "rights" that don't exist that you'd like to try and start ridiculous arguments around?

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#14079 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't like rapists, necrophiliacs, or zoophiles. I know they think they have a RIGHT to practice their proclivities, but I happen to disagree...
bump.(Wanna make sure you feel special and all)

Ah, so it would appear the answer is "yes". Yes, you would apparently like to appear even stupider by presenting even more "rights" that don't exist.

Your mommy must be so proud.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#14080 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Because the matter was put to a Public vote in California and the People spoke-- and were ignored. This Nation is no longer a government "of the people, by the people" apparently.
So you naturally disagree with SCOTUS's ruling in Brown v Board of Education. Afterall, people had voted in states like Alabama (as recently as 2011) to have their separate schools.

Littleton, NH

#14081 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Their "right" to practice their proclivities ends where the rights of their intended victims begin. What don't you understand about that?

I'm hardly surprised that you have no respect for others' rights. You've got to be one of the most ego-centric posters who's ever entertained us on these boards. Your entire moral philosophy consists of whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14082 Nov 27, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Their "right" to practice their proclivities ends where the rights of their intended victims begin. What don't you understand about that?
I'm hardly surprised that you have no respect for others' rights. You've got to be one of the most ego-centric posters who's ever entertained us on these boards. Your entire moral philosophy consists of whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
Why do people with sexual perversions always insist THEIR perversion is normal?
An older man may very well be taking emotional advantage of a younger one. But I see you have no problem with ANYTHING chocolate chimney sweeps want to do...
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14083 Nov 27, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

This link produces an error when the video tries to play. It looks like a cartoon, in any case.
You really missed it then because that cartoon was a hoot!

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#14084 Nov 27, 2013
You really missed it then because that cartoon was a hoot!
Answers to my questions would have been a hoot. A cartoon and a broken link are just disappointing.
Why do some people always insist that something is a "perversion" just because THEY don't enjoy it?

Here's Marge Simpson, echoing this thought:

"Call me a killjoy, but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it."

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14085 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Pedophiles are a minority. I say we deny them the right to molest children.
I'm sure you find me "intolerant"...
No, because Pedophiles and Child Molesters are harming children who CAN'T consent!!!

By the way, NOT all Pedophiles act on their urges!!!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14086 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Rapists HARM their victims.....that is VIOLATING the right of another human being.

Child Molesters HARM their victims......the child CAN'T give consent and have NO ability to fight back.

Necrophiliacs are defiling the dead, who CAN'T do ANYTHING about it because their DEAD.

Zoophilia or Bestiality happens to be legal in roughly 20 states or a misdemeanor in the remaining states.....again, an animal is being defiled and UNABLE to give consent!!!

You really show your mentality when you lower yourself to these types of arguments.....see, being Gay or Lesbian is were one is attracted to the Same-Sex and has a sexual relationship with another CONSENTING adult.....HUGE difference between what Gays and Lesbians do and these other things you want to bring into the discussion!!!

Littleton, NH

#14087 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you insist that something you dislike is a perversion?
An older man may very well be taking emotional advantage of a younger one. But I see you have no problem with ANYTHING chocolate chimney sweeps want to do...
Nobody should take emotional advantage of anyone else. And when an older person (male or female) takes advantage of an underage person, they are breaking the law.

But you knew that, didn't you?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14088 Nov 27, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember that equality pertains to SIMILARLY SITUATED individuals. For instance, Jan wants to marry Greg, and Greg wants to marry Jan. That is allowed, unless they are closely related or under age. Similarly, if Jan wants to marry Peg and Peg wants to marry Jan, then they should be allowed.
The latter is not "SIMILARLY SITUATED". A woman is not a man, and vice verse. A man and woman, are similarly situated to a woman and a man.
But if Phil wants to marry Jen and Ann, Jen wants to marry Phil, and Ann wants to marry Phil, they are not similarly situated. There is a basic lack of symmetry. So your argument failed the first time you presented it. And it will always fail.
Uhhhhhh....Jeff, two men, or two women are it similarly situated to a man and a woman.
That is not to say that Phil, Jen, and Ann shouldn't lobby for changes to marriage laws that would accommodate their situation. But the simple fact is that today's marriage laws don't make sense in the context of more than two people.
Today's marriage laws don't make sense if conjugality, opposite sex, is rejected as the basis for legal marriage. So that's been dropped in some states, so why are you concerned with monogamy? "Marriage equality" for all.
1 post removed
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14090 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
And here's something else: So some homosexual flitting from Glory Hole to Glory Hole gets infected with "'da monkey". Now, the first thing he does is go on Medicaid or Obama-care so I have to pay for his expensive meds. Like THAT'S fair?!?
And before you even say it, I don't want to pay for STRAIGHT people who do these things either...
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14091 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
And here's something else: So some homosexual flitting from Glory Hole to Glory Hole gets infected with "'da monkey". Now, the first thing he does is go on Medicaid or Obama-care so I have to pay for his expensive meds. Like THAT'S fair?!?
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14092 Nov 27, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
So you naturally disagree with SCOTUS's ruling in Brown v Board of Education.
Uh... Yes?
Reason

Louisville, KY

#14093 Nov 27, 2013
I hate religious people. Your time is done. Crawl back to your caves and die.
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

#14094 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Uh... Yes?
http://thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14095 Nov 27, 2013
<quoted text>
The difference is that their "partners" do not give their informed consent. Can't you see that?

Such acts are violations of the Freedom and Autonomy of another being.

Most crimes are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Libtardimus Maximus 1,567,636
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 3 min Retribution 596
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Calvin_Coolish 280,249
News Trump's transgender troops ban divides veterans... 4 min Melvin 29
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques in Ottawa 242,129
News House to consider ban on transgender surgery fo... 6 min Marcavage s Trick 275
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 8 min Valerie 628
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 9 min bad bob 18,039
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 37 min fingers mcgurke 189
More from around the web