Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,562

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#10121 Sep 20, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry. You'll grow up one day. Stay in school.
I willlll? Golly gee Mr. Blowme.....you sure are smart....maybe one day I can be just like you....with a neato keen internet forum nick name like you.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#10122 Sep 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just here to vent your own irrational hatred of those who reject your choices, aren't you? Your self-esteem is in the sewer and it shows.
My choices? Pray tell, Miss Cleo, what are they?

What the fuck do you know about self esteem, Frankie? You don't even have enough sense to be embarrassed about your ridiculous posts. You laugh at science, you ignore the lessons of history and your knowledge of logic is ZERO. Wait.... congratulations are in order. You are perhaps the stupidest person alive.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#10123 Sep 20, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I willlll? Golly gee Mr. Blowme.....you sure are smart....maybe one day I can be just like you....with a neato keen internet forum nick name like you.
No chance, pal. You don't have the grey matter. Your posts are proof.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#10124 Sep 20, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
The story of The Khazars.
Sorry Mona, you lose.....
http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/The-Story-...
Riiiiiiiiiiight..... like I'm going to take advice from a psycho like you.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#10125 Sep 20, 2013
poeticjustice wrote:
So...tried of these cherry picked bible issues. Repubs & blk churches never follow all of it,so why should anyone listen 2 you.
And yet that same bible and all other major religious and non religious ethical belief systems, stress the Golden Rule above all others. Yet, some find interpretations that allow them to contradict it.

That you treat others as you would yourself under the law is also a promise of the Declaration, and a requirement of our Constitution.

Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14: The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#10126 Sep 20, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
No chance, pal. You don't have the grey matter. Your posts are proof.
Awwwwww.....shucks....and I had such low hopes to grow up to be just like you! Maybe....just maybe if I study real hard and find just the right moniker....oh wait I forgot....Blowme is your sir name.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#10127 Sep 20, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet that same bible and all other major religious and non religious ethical belief systems, stress the Golden Rule above all others. Yet, some find interpretations that allow them to contradict it.
Those very same major religions also allow polygamy. Interesting.
That you treat others as you would yourself under the law is also a promise of the Declaration, and a requirement of our Constitution.
I don't recall seeing that in either document.
Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
Galatians 5:14: The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Render onto Caesar.... Is that biblical?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#10128 Sep 20, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwwww.....shucks....and I had such low hopes to grow up to be just like you! Maybe....just maybe if I study real hard and find just the right moniker....oh wait I forgot....Blowme is your sir name.
Yes. The esteemed Kentucky Blowme family.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#10129 Sep 20, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think ANY of those points means the USA is a Christian nation, you have bigger problems.
That was the justification for making polygamy illegal. That we are a Christian nation. Of course it wouldn't hold up now, but you still think it should in this case.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#10130 Sep 20, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
My choices? Pray tell, Miss Cleo, what are they?
What the fuck do you know about self esteem, Frankie? You don't even have enough sense to be embarrassed about your ridiculous posts. You laugh at science, you ignore the lessons of history and your knowledge of logic is ZERO. Wait.... congratulations are in order. You are perhaps the stupidest person alive.
You are probably the most unhappy.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#10131 Sep 20, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry. You'll grow up one day. Stay in school.
Will he get a cool name like yours when he grows up?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#10132 Sep 21, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. The esteemed Kentucky Blowme family.
Ohhhhhhh......he's one of the Kentucky Blowme's....that explains a lot.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#10133 Sep 21, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, marriage is a fundamental right of the individual. Zablocki v. Redhail, 434 U.S. 374, 384 (1978):“The right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individuals.”
All fundamental rights exist because we are human. No other "because" is needed. Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1, 12 (1967):“The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.”
Requiring one of each gender is a restriction on gender. Casey, 505 U.S. 833, 851 (1992):“These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
Your argument for restriction on gender still relies on the false assumption fundamental rights must provide some benefit to the government. Liberty is freedom from governmental control. LaFleur, 414 U.S. 632, 639-40 (1974):“This Court has long recognized that freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the liberties protected by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.”
All those cases are based on the understanding of marriage as a male female union. Thanks for pointing that out.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#10134 Sep 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
All those cases are based on the understanding of marriage as a male female union. Thanks for pointing that out.
But it's not a male and female union anymore, is it?

I can marry either in my state. I choose.........female.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#10135 Sep 21, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Regardless of what you think Brian......these PUBLIC business owners violated their states anti-discrimination policies and that's why they are being sued.......you defend them even though they violated the law........this has NOTHING to do with their religious beliefs, it has EVERYTHING to do with treating customers with dignity and respect!!! Your idea of marriage remaining as just between a man and a woman is losing.......and it should because there is NO State compelling interest to deny the right to marry to Same-Sex Couples!!!
I think these PC antidiscrimination laws are bad, do you think a liberal photographer should be forced to support a Republican party event?

For the left, equality is a religious value.
Storm Warning

Fall River, WI

#10136 Sep 21, 2013
The gay agenda comes from the gay president

AOL

#10137 Sep 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. None of them found gender to be a requirement, though several made it clear gender is not a requirement, as procreation ability was clearly established as not being a requirement for marriage to remain a fundamental right of all persons.

"At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”(Casey)

AOL

#10138 Sep 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Those very same major religions also allow polygamy. Interesting.
<quoted text>
I don't recall seeing that in either document.
<quoted text>
Render onto Caesar.... Is that biblical?
Wrong again. Most major religions do not promote or support polygamy.

The Declaration says all are created equal and all are endowed with unalienable rights. The Constitution requires equal protection under the 5th and 14th amendments. Treating others as you would yourself under the law is promised in the Declaration and required by the Constitution.

The Constitution also makes it clear, fundamental rights belong to each individual, not to Ceasar.

Since: Aug 11

Scotts Valley, CA

#10139 Sep 21, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I think these PC antidiscrimination laws are bad, do you think a liberal photographer should be forced to support a Republican party event?
For the left, equality is a religious value.
Who cares what you think.

“abstractions of thought...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10140 Sep 21, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
All those cases also preceded landmark gay civil rights rulings that have led to the gradual dismantling of institutionalized discrimination against gays. Nor did any of those cases explicitly rule marriage was restricted to opposite sex couples. Thanks for ignoring that. As usual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min EAGLE EYE1 305,182
Erdogan invites Armenian leader to join Gallipo... 5 min Dander 168
In parting shot, Obama prods India on religious... 6 min Surya P Mhalingam... 29
Climate change scientists predicted monster sto... 7 min The Fact Is 1
Keystone pipeline wins Senate vote in victory f... 7 min Billy Ringo 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min USAsince1680 1,173,800
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Blitzking 142,692
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Can't Contain Excitement ... 15 min serfs up 38
Sarah Palin and her onetime fans on the right: ... 29 min Responsibility 39
Scott Walker has no college degree. That's norm... 2 hr Captain Yesterday 728
More from around the web