Boycott Battles: Do They Really Work?

Feb 25, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

When Coach Sue Sylvester says "Boycott Amway," you'd better listen - or you could end up with the Glee villain's signature referee whistle jammed in your ear.

Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Feb 28, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

I never was a big fan of boycotts, but as I heard about them, I went along. Why?'Cause they usually are against companies with which I don't do business, anyway. Like Coors......I have never in my life, so far as I can remember, had even a sip of a Coors product. Like the man on the TV commercial, "I don't usually drink beer, but when I do, I drink an imported dark beer". I know, he drinks Dos Aquis, but I don't. And believe me, I have never, and will never, cross the doorstep of a Chic-Fil-A, and it has nothing to do with a boycott, although that is enough reason.
1 post removed

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

GLBT people have increasingly less to WANT to boycott as most major corporations are at least "on-paper" gay friendly.

Conversely, the other side has now so many companies to boycott they might as well start living in a cave, surviving by hunting and wearing skins.

Of the others, as Ralph says, I don't buy very much. The one exception is Exxon, which I try to boycott but sometimes can't as the only convenient gas station on my route to work is an Esso (Canada still uses the old brand name) one. Chick-fil-A does not exist up here and I don't buy Hershey chocolate anyway. Coors owns Molson (something which a lot of Canadians don't know) but I drink other brands when I drink beer.
1 post removed
Chance

Grove City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Gorilla wrote:
Yea, just ask Chick-fil-A
Yeah, you do that. Ask Chick-Fil-A.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/report-chic...
According to Sandelman & Associates of San Clemente, the evangelical Christian-led fast-food chain experienced a 2.2 percent increase in visits from customers from July to September.
Paul Clarke, spokesman for Sandelman & Associates, provided The Christian Post with a press release regarding the data from the group's Quick Track Study.
"Despite protests and predictions that the fast-food chain would be hurt by the publicity, Chick-fil-A appears stronger now," reads the statement.
"When compared with the same period 2011, Chick-fil-A in Q3 2012 broadened its past-month user base (chain "regulars") in 28 of the 35 U.S. media markets where the fast-food restaurant chain is monitored in Sandelman & Associates' Quick-TrackŪ study."
Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/report-chic...

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Sandelman & Associates of San Clemente, the evangelical Christian-led fast-food chain experienced a 2.2 percent increase in visits from customers from July to September.
Paul Clarke, spokesman for Sandelman & Associates, provided The Christian Post with a press release regarding the data from the group's Quick Track Study.
"Despite protests and predictions that the fast-food chain would be hurt by the publicity, Chick-fil-A appears stronger now," reads the statement.
"When compared with the same period 2011, Chick-fil-A in Q3 2012 broadened its past-month user base (chain "regulars") in 28 of the 35 U.S. media markets where the fast-food restaurant chain is monitored in Sandelman & Associates' Quick-TrackŪ study."
All part of the plan to get the Fox News viewers to die of heart attacks sooner.
1 post removed

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that their corporate growth is about equal to that of the dope peddlers on the streets of New York.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
I went there a couple of times when I worked in a mall many years ago. Their stuff was dry and dull and tasteless. White chicken on white bread. A PERFECT tea party delight. No taste, no flavor, white bread.

If you want to eat FRIED chicken on WHITE bread and shove down FRIED potatoes, and wash it down with either a sugray coke, or even worse for one's health, a diet coke, then be my guest.
1 post removed

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
All part of the plan to get the Fox News viewers to die of heart attacks sooner.
I miss the tea party rallies that sort of dried up lately. As usual, haters have REALLY short attention spans.

It was so much fun seeing enormous fat white people marching in front of the Capital! All with chicken stains on their Walmart finery. It was probably about a half mile walk from their cars. More exercise than they had since Carter was Nixon was president.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Sorry, since "Carter or Nixon", not "Carter WAS Nixon".

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
Queers are so distraught over their failed attempt to undermined chick-fil-A, they're babbling nonsense now.
If you had read my other posts, you would know I don't normally engage in boycotts, so why would I be upset that one didn't or won't succeed? I, personally, don't eat at Chic-Fil-A because I have more respect for my body than to cram in all that fatty food into it.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
Queers are so distraught over their failed attempt to undermined chick-fil-A, they're babbling nonsense now.
Nothing like you babbling about eating there every meal, while the whole time we know your are at your institutionalized "vacation retreat", R1!
1 post removed

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I know, you would rather eat at McDonald's or Carl Jrs. or Wendy's. I understand queer. Take good care of that pathetic body of yours.
Actually, I haven't eaten at any of those in over 30 years. Mostly I eat at home, after preparing dinner for my hubby. And when we do go out, it's usually to a place that actually has silverware, china, and tablecloths. That's one of the perks of being an affluent gay couple......we don't have to rub elbows in some crowded, greasy spoon with people of your ilk.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

By the way, I don't usually make comments pertaining to our money situation, but in this case I thought it was indicated.
2 posts removed

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
Shows just how abnormal you really are. I feel sorry for you.
Abnormal? I guess that is a synonym for Above Normal, huh?

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I still feel sorry for you.
By the way, who cares?
1 post removed

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

razer wrote:
<quoted text>
Shows just how abnormal you really are. I feel sorry for you.
You feel sorry for somebody who eats at nice restaurants instead of McDonald's.

STUPID.

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, don't feel sorry for them nasty A$$ FAGG@TS, they darn sure don't care about you. The only thing they care about is where they get their next DlCK from.
What happened in your life to make you hate gay people?

Your obsession is abnormal and there has to be a reason for it.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, don't feel sorry for them nasty A$$ FAGG@TS, they darn sure don't care about you. The only thing they care about is where they get their next DlCK from.
I know very well where I getting my next one. From the same man I have been with for 40 years. How's about you? Where is your next one come from?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

I don't know if all the boycotts work but I surely am not going to give my money to Chick-Fil-A to be used against me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And you would refuse the next hot woman that comes along your way? You just wouldn't care about that right or are you happily married and if so why do you spend all your time with gays instead of your wife?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had read my other posts, you would know I don't normally engage in boycotts, so why would I be upset that one didn't or won't succeed? I, personally, don't eat at Chic-Fil-A because I have more respect for my body than to cram in all that fatty food into it.
That Razer dude can gloat all he wants but even if Chick-Fil-A has gained a following due to their popular anti-gayness they still will never get my gay money. It's too bad the business was not smart then they could have money from gay and straight people but they chose to get involved in religion, politics, and social issues which are not good practice for business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••