King 'content of character' quote ins...

King 'content of character' quote inspires debate

There are 23 comments on the KTVN Reno story from Jan 20, 2013, titled King 'content of character' quote inspires debate. In it, KTVN Reno reports that:

14, 1960 file photo, an unidentified black man eats at a lunch counter in Tampa, Fla.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVN Reno.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Jan 20, 2013
What kind of character leaves an Ambassador to die in Benghazi and then lies like Hitler about it?
snow ducks

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#2 Jan 20, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
What kind of character leaves an Ambassador to die in Benghazi and then lies like Hitler about it?
do U kno Y Wishington dun"t wanne to bee king?...he rather bee the white house president and burger King instake?!! ;-000h, liked burger King or in-out perger?!! ;-000

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#3 Jan 20, 2013
the meaning of "content of character" is straightforward. what the liberals are really saying is that this quote should not apply, even though king said it and they want to act like they believe it is a good thing...
duck taco

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#4 Jan 20, 2013
GoodNewz wrote:
the meaning of "content of character" is straightforward. what the liberals are really saying is that this quote should not apply, even though king said it and they want to act like they believe it is a good thing...
hey, VAer!! all topix studen watch NFL. what"s U doing here now?;-00
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#5 Jan 20, 2013
GoodNewz wrote:
"Should not apply"?

It applies to everyone everyday.

It seems you don't even know what it means and you accuse others of ignoring it, which isn't possible.
OH NO YOU did not

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Jan 20, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
nah, King was not referring to Obama, but to other Americans that are for the country and other Americans. Obama left his good character way behind when he started playing his many games of dirty pool to get elected.

Newport News, VA

#7 Jan 20, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
"Should not apply"?
It applies to everyone everyday.
It seems you don't even know what it means and you accuse others of ignoring it, which isn't possible.
it seems you did not read the article.
C fu

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#8 Jan 20, 2013
GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
he did reak the article butta missed da testicle pic!! King inda romney hood!!! ;-0000
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#9 Jan 21, 2013
GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
"I don't think we can ignore race," says Martin Luther King III.

"What my father is asking is to create the climate where every American can realize his or her dreams," he says. "Now what does that mean when you have 50 million people living in poverty?"

Bernice King doubts her father would seek to ignore differences.

"When he talked about the beloved community, he talked about everyone bringing their gifts, their talents, their cultural experiences," she says. "We live in a society where we may have differences, of course, but we learn to celebrate these differences."

The meaning of King's monumental quote is more complex today than in 1963 because "the unconscious signals have changed," says the historian Taylor Branch, author of the acclaimed trilogy "America in the King Years."

Yet as we discipline ourselves not to pre-judge African-Americans, Clegg says, we cannot forget that King asked us to judge character. That means taking actions such as reducing the high rate of black children born to unmarried parents and placing more value on education, he says.

"I don't think King would neglect the 'content of their character' side today," he says.

I think they got the definition of character right but the meaning of what King words context of "content" wrong.

The best description I ever heard was from my black 3rd grade teacher as we had a discussion about him because he had just been assassinated a few years prior.

She explained his words as "the content of your character is how you think and act, when you are by yourself".

That being said, everyone is by themselves at least for a few moments every day or your unspoken thoughts without the benefit of someone else's opinion.

No one can escape that.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#10 Jan 21, 2013
OH NO YOU did not wrote:
<quoted text>
nah, King was not referring to Obama, but to other Americans that are for the country and other Americans. Obama left his good character way behind when he started playing his many games of dirty pool to get elected.
"Games of dirty pool"?

He wasn't the one shortening voting hours or putting a dozen 600 word state amendments on the ballot.

This weekend, Pennsylvania Republican House Leader Mike Turzai (R-PA) finally admitted what so many have speculated:

“We are focused on making sure that we meet our obligations that we’ve talked about for years,” said Turzai in a speech to committee members Saturday. He mentioned the law among a laundry list of accomplishments made by the GOP-run legislature.

“Pro-Second Amendment? The Castle Doctrine, it’s done. First pro-life legislation – abortion facility regulations – in 22 years, done. Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”

GOP-backed consulting firm may have submitted "hundreds" of faked voter registration forms in Florida, according to the Florida Department of State.

The GOP cut ties with the third party voter registering company Strategic Allied Consultants on Thursday after the Palm Beach County elections supervisor flagged 106 of the firm's registration forms for having similar handwriting, incorrect addresses and incomplete information.

Since then, elections officials in nine Florida counties have unearthed hundreds of possibly fraudulent registration forms.

Two days later the Republican National Committee cut ties with the firm and asked state party officials in four other states to do the same. Strategic Allied Consultants was registering voters on behalf of the RNC in five battleground states: Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado and Nevada.

Dirty pool, indeed.
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#11 Jan 21, 2013
<quoted text>
"I don't think we can ignore race," says Martin Luther King III.
"What my father is asking is to create the climate where every American can realize his or her dreams," he says. "Now what does that mean when you have 50 million people living in poverty?"
Bernice King doubts her father would seek to ignore differences.
"When he talked about the beloved community, he talked about everyone bringing their gifts, their talents, their cultural experiences," she says. "We live in a society where we may have differences, of course, but we learn to celebrate these differences."
The meaning of King's monumental quote is more complex today than in 1963 because "the unconscious signals have changed," says the historian Taylor Branch, author of the acclaimed trilogy "America in the King Years."
Yet as we discipline ourselves not to pre-judge African-Americans, Clegg says, we cannot forget that King asked us to judge character. That means taking actions such as reducing the high rate of black children born to unmarried parents and placing more value on education, he says.
"I don't think King would neglect the 'content of their character' side today," he says.
I think they got the definition of character right but the meaning of what King words context of "content" wrong.
The best description I ever heard was from my black 3rd grade teacher as we had a discussion about him because he had just been assassinated a few years prior.
She explained his words as "the content of your character is how you think and act, when you are by yourself".
That being said, everyone is by themselves at least for a few moments every day or your unspoken thoughts without the benefit of someone else's opinion.
No one can escape that.
Just stop charging people for the bull you wrote. then it will be real. Stop charging the people....stop charging the people...
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#12 Jan 21, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> Just stop charging people for the bull you wrote. then it will be real. Stop charging the people....stop charging the people...
Why?

You never do.
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#13 Jan 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Why?
You never do.
What does that mean? Give me my money mutha! You sound like a broad who is owed. From someone. And I write that in a nice way.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#14 Jan 21, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> What does that mean? Give me my money mutha! You sound like a broad who is owed. From someone. And I write that in a nice way.

As usual, you don't make any sense.

Typical teabagger drivel.
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#15 Jan 21, 2013
<quoted text>
As usual, you don't make any sense.
Typical teabagger drivel.
What does that mean? You really have no answer. I am for freedom and common sense foreign policy. You are not. And that is drivel to you. You are therefore evil. Powerful evil. You will kill others for your personal selfish desires. And you do. Washing your hands of it while blaming others.

Newport News, VA

#16 Jan 21, 2013
<quoted text>
judging a person by their character is a simple concept. why make that simple concept so confused? is affirmative action judging one by their character? obviously not!

"creating a climate" where everyone can realize their dreams not so simple. you have the right to pursue happiness in this country. you have no right to have your dreams realized....
Pale Dago

O Fallon, MO

#17 Jan 21, 2013
Hey! How's the weather way down there?
Independent

Winchester, IN

#18 Jan 21, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
...or the fast and furious scandal, ignoring the death of agent Terry and the 100's of murders in Mexico from these guns given to the drug cartels by these criminals, plenty more to come in the next four years.
OH NO YOU did not

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#19 Jan 21, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>...or the fast and furious scandal, ignoring the death of agent Terry and the 100's of murders in Mexico from these guns given to the drug cartels by these criminals, plenty more to come in the next four years.
Is that because the Obama administration cares less about Americans?
Independent

Winchester, IN

#20 Jan 21, 2013
OH NO YOU did not wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that because the Obama administration cares less about Americans?
He's the only one that can answer that, but by his actions it seems so, Mrs. Obama seems to be the same way from her writing in her college days and things she has said in public "first time she was proud of this country", both friends of rev. Wright, certain quotes in his book, etc. It appears he has been indoctrinated at very young age. Affirmative Action has brought them both a long way, it seems both still have a chip on their shoulder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 9 min Mnbvcxz 37,099
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Grey Ghost 1,621,014
News Fusion GPS asks court to shield financial recor... 16 min FireFellow44 2
News Mitch McConnell says he's awaiting President Tr... 20 min WhityBulger 9
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 52 min True Cure 318,388
News After years of influence, GOP kingmaker's futur... 1 hr CodeTalker 1
News News Trump voting commission criticized for lac... 1 hr CodeTalker 2
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr old_moose 13,219
More from around the web