Komen Caves on Plan to Yank Planned P...

Komen Caves on Plan to Yank Planned Parenthood Funds

There are 37 comments on the www.theatlanticwire.com story from Feb 3, 2012, titled Komen Caves on Plan to Yank Planned Parenthood Funds. In it, www.theatlanticwire.com reports that:

The Komen for the Cure Foundation has apologized to supporters and announced that they'll likely continue to fund Planned Parenthood.

This is a pretty stunning reversal, given that just yesterday, irate Komen CEO Nancy Brinker released a youtube video declaring that “We will never bow to political pressure."

Planned Parenthood has been surfing a huge wave of support since Komen withdrew its funds on Tuesday. They've scooped up nearly $1 million in donations and a PR boost from a new website, "Planned Parenthood Saved Me," which features hundreds of moving personal stories.

The furor has also shed a harsh light on the Komen Foundation, with a piece in Salon reporting that the foundation spends less than a quarter of its funds on research for "the cure" - less than it spends on admin costs.

Weigh in: Does Planned Parenthood deserve Komen funds, or should Komen have stuck to their guns?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlanticwire.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 11

Burlingame, CA

#1 Feb 3, 2012
Speaking of sticking to their guns - the Seattle Post Intelligencer has published a story on how "Komen Foundation Said No To Planned Parenthood But Yes to Guns," reporting on Komen's plan to produce a breast cancer awareness-branded gun in partnership with Discount Gun Sales.

“Repeated lies are not truth”

Since: Jul 11

8120'

#2 Feb 3, 2012
Glad they rescinded their decision.
Kinda sad how only 25% of their $350,000,000yr actually goes to cancer research.

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

#3 Feb 3, 2012
Kinda hard to explain why they would allow funding to continue to Penn State even though they are being investigated for child rapes, and covering it up so not to hurt the school's rep.

This was about as transparent a political play as it gets.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 Feb 3, 2012
Another example of the republicans wanting to hurt the poor.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#5 Feb 3, 2012
Irascible Infidel wrote:
Kinda sad how only 25% of their $350,000,000yr actually goes to cancer research.
But since only 3% of their funding goes for abortions and
that money comes strictly from private funds (no federal money allowed),why is Komen so gun shy?

My guess is death threats from RWers who oppose abortion and are willing to commit acts of terrorism to back up the threats.
We have our own al-Kaida right here in conservatism.

“My Commander-in-Chi ef!”

Since: Jun 07

Obama got Osama!

#6 Feb 3, 2012
The good guys/gals win another one… these right-wing bastards love to try and hurt the poor.
Ex-GOP Con

Campbellsburg, IN

#7 Feb 3, 2012
I'm actually glad SGK did what they did to PP. if not for this, I wouldn't have been made aware of how much of the donations go to actually finding a cure. I wouldn't have known how much the higher ups make off of the cause. I've always donated to SGK ever year but I think I will look elsewhere this year.
celticwarriors

Seminole, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2012
People power works. Another win against GOP corporate fascism.
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#9 Feb 3, 2012
Ex-GOP Con wrote:
I'm actually glad SGK did what they did to PP. if not for this, I wouldn't have been made aware of how much of the donations go to actually finding a cure. I wouldn't have known how much the higher ups make off of the cause. I've always donated to SGK ever year but I think I will look elsewhere this year.
Yes, I agree. I saw somewhere that ONLY around 25% goes to actually work on a cure.

75% goes to everything EXCEPT research.

Donations mostly go to keep the fat cats fat.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#10 Feb 3, 2012
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree. I saw somewhere that ONLY around 25% goes to actually work on a cure.
75% goes to everything EXCEPT research.
Donations mostly go to keep the fat cats fat.
Maybe they should hire me to run their organization. I have always liked breasts. I have devoted many hours to personally studying breasts. If they want a bipartisan group to head breast research Herman Cain's expertise on the subject I am sure could be enlightening. We can probably all learn something from Slick Willie. For instances do you know what kind of bee you can get milk from….. A boobee. What kind of boob does not feed infants…. A Teapublican boob. It is a tough titty when you gots to chew the milk. If Herman Cain was sued for grabbing a breast in each hand would you call it a double breasted suite?
halito

Winnemucca, NV

#11 Feb 3, 2012
Can Mitt Romney detect breat cancer?
halito

Winnemucca, NV

#12 Feb 3, 2012
udder nonsence....
1 post removed
Sheik Yerbouti

Warrington, PA

#14 Feb 3, 2012
Another victory for those who believe in freedom! What part of 'mind your own business' don't these vile papists and fundietards understand?

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#15 Feb 3, 2012
Politics Staff Ed wrote:
Speaking of sticking to their guns - the Seattle Post Intelligencer has published a story on how "Komen Foundation Said No To Planned Parenthood But Yes to Guns," reporting on Komen's plan to produce a breast cancer awareness-branded gun in partnership with Discount Gun Sales.
They also said 'YES' to the fingering of little boys' bottoms at Penn State- under investigation for multiple child rape allegations, but somehow, THOSE kind of allegations are OK, but Planned Parenthood being witch hunted by Republicans on Capitol Hill constitutes a valid "investigation."

LOL

Selective political bullshit by this organization which, under our collective noses has been a political wolf in fundraiser's clothing.

SHUT THEM DOWN.

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#16 Feb 3, 2012
halito wrote:
Can Mitt Romney detect breat cancer?
Squeeze the magic underpants and see what happens- oh, wait, those aren't breasts!!!!!

I just threw up in my mouth a little.....

“Angry Antlers ”

Miami

#17 Feb 3, 2012
Karen Handler, the neo Nazi Republican bitch in charge of policy at "Susan G. Komen" needs to be fired or forced to resign as soon as possible.

She's a proven religious wackadoodle and needs to stay away from people in general, and fundraising in particular.

KOMEN = our ACORN

SHUT IT DOWN.
uIdiotRacesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

#18 Feb 3, 2012
Yep ,no doubt there is interrelationship between US Fundmentalism and Nationalism that had taking US by Storm...it is very real Theo/NeoConservative ideology (Wellfunded and well Organized) AKA those corrupted (Un)godly Republicans(leaders) is problem for naive American people had yet to fathom the dangers... I see what you mean and your concerns for our US ,and it's reason you drop out! I wonder if others see it through your incisive perspective and your critical anaylsis is right on button of the political spectrum! Do you agree with this assessment?
1 post removed

HHC

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#20 Feb 3, 2012
Nothing Says Breast Cancer Awareness Like a Pink Handgun–A PR Nightmare That Was Shot Down

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/03/nothi...
Michele

Medina, OH

#21 Feb 3, 2012
I thought Komen was for breast cancer, It would be like the Leukemia Society or Muscular Dystophy going to the Heart Association. Groups are suppose to raise money for that cause, so I will NO LONGER support Komens. I didn't donate money to have it go to Planned Parenthood. They got off track to what their cause was. And of course I see the Politician are shooting their mouths off, way to go, ruin a good cause.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#22 Feb 3, 2012
Irascible Infidel wrote:
75% goes to the community that raises the money. That money was raised for breast cancer prevention which right now means screenings.

I'm glad the Fiscal Conservatives at SGK finally saw that it's bad for business embracing social conservative pet issues like abortion.

BTW Komen justified its decision to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood’s breast cancer screening program by citing a new policy that they will not fund organizations under investigation. Planned Parenthood is the undeserving subject of a politically motivated congressional inquiry. Yet, if Komen is so concerned about associations with groups under investigation, how does it explain its partnership with Bank of America and its funding of a $7.5 million grant for Penn State? Those two institutions are under investigation.

Social conservatives are seeing this week that Fiscal Conservatives value business and that caving to pet issues of the right are bad for business.

Better brace yourself for when people start seeing the same sex marriage question as a vote to ban certain Presbyterian and other religion's marriages in favor of Catholic and Mormon ones.

Because that is exactly what it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min sandy1 328,714
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Sunshine 182,853
News When It Comes to Dealing With Illegal Immigrati... 4 min peruzzi 20
News Meet the Candidate: Carly Fiorina 5 min Tazo 628
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min messianic114 164,430
News Poor could receive subsidies for Internet acces... 7 min Denny CranesPlace 14
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min EasyEed 1,234,638
News Huckabee: I would ask Clinton about Benghazi 51 min RayOne 308
News Ireland same-sex marriage 1 hr Good Reverend 355
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 1 hr Who 2,496
More from around the web