Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

Dec 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC29

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Comments
2,481 - 2,500 of 2,689 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2013

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The misstatements were from you, spoogebreath.
When the VPC (or anyone else) represents a figure and then qualifies the statement (as the VPC did): the figure is not complete without the qualifications.
E.G.: if the VPC says it is counting 32 states, you have include that qualification, not pretend it was for all of the USA.
I am mindful of the Kleck "surveys" where he collects data conducted from subscribers to gun lovers magazines and then extrapolates that data as representative of all of USA.
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!
There is no such thing as a CCW "crime" database. There is not a reliable way to project across the USA the crimes committed by a "typical" CCW holder.
Happy to see you stand up and insist on it: that as part of the CCW process, anyone arrested (or receiving a restraining order) is checked and the CCW revoked or in the very least: suspended.
LIAR! The VPC does NOT say it is counting 32 states. Here is their statement: "The Violence Policy Center’s Concealed Carry Killers database documents 370 incidents in 32 states." That is left open a lot of room for interpretation. Why did they not include the other 18???? Going by the fact that they include ALL deaths by CCW holders (like you do with your 32,000 gun deaths claim by including suicides and justifiable homicides), I am willing to bet it is because they can't find any CCW firearm deaths in the other 18 states. Prove me wrong asshat.
1 post removed

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care.
If I say there are 32,000 vehicle deaths you want to say the people on motorcycles don't count.
Anyone driving a motorcycle, as we all know, are suicidal.
I'm not the one who doesn't "understand" it.
32,000 are dead.
They are no longer breathing.
What is it you don't understand?
Still doing the same tired apples to oranges comparison, I see. How many vehicle deaths are from accidents??? How many firearm deaths are from accidents???

There are FAR MORE vehicle accidental deaths than accidental deaths from firearms. So even with all those regulations, training and vehicle registration requirements, vehicle accidents greatly surpass gun accidents which require far LESS training and registration.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

So the politicians might actually feel guilty/ scared enough thinking about how guilty they really are for running the best Empire in the world into the ground. They want us to not have guns when we wake up to just how bad they've robbed us. This anti-gun platform is so one-sided against every constituent in the U.S. it's leading to a Dictatorship. All kinds of talk about disarming the general public, but what about the police? The London Bobbies have nightsticks, some even have tasers. If you saw the video on the news of the guy with two knives, big knives, outside Buckingham Palace,you would have seen him rush one of the cops. He was tasered. Here in America the guy would have been swiss cheese innaminit and as bright as some of our police are,(yes, with much sarcasm), I'm sure some friendly fire would have been taken. So, to be fair, to be real, to be American,(something almost no politician has been for years), disarm America. Not even rubber bullets for the police. Notice there are no stats about bad police shootings available to the public. This country is not the country I was taught it was.
Freddy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> One should at least get familiar with things they want to be an expert on telling others they do or don't need. He does not have to shoot anyone, he can sign an executive order and have someone else do it for him, like most liberals.(Someone else protect me with a gun, feed me, pay my bills, kill my baby for me).
Agreed, I was pointing out the stupidity of Obama pandering to gun owners.
3 posts removed
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well useless, when someone breaks into your home, you just sit tight... the local LEO's will be at the scene of the crime shortly...
Pssssst: The crime scene being your house, genius.
Defending yourself from harm is not anarchy you dolt.
Do you even have a house?
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, when wally street says tea bagger he is referring to the sexual antics of his boyfriend.
No, I'm referring to the nut jobs in the tea party.

If being a homo is what you consider yourself?

I'm not going to argue.

Your sexuality is no concern of mine.

Poor "flaming" teabagger.

Since: Nov 09

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they did.
The one, the teabagger congress argued, mangled and refused to do.
Occupy Sandy hit the ground running, bringing food, clothes, batteries, flashlights and much-needed supplies for people in the hardest hit areas – from Coney Island to Staten Island to the Rockaways to Red Hook to Sheepshead Bay.
With newcomers joining veteran Occupiers, Occupy Sandy mobilized a force of 20,000 unpaid volunteers at its peak in the first few weeks after Hurricane Sandy struck the N.Y.C. area on Oct. 29. New volunteers appear every day, and the movement has inspired over a half-million dollars in donations to date.
nimble network like Occupy was able to be on the ground a day after the storm . Also, we are there to support the community, and we’ve seen the community as partners all along, whereas these agencies come in and see the community as someone to give aid to but don’t necessarily enlist them in the work themselves.”
Teabaggers: Bitched and moaned but did NOTHING.
Hold on, Mitt sent unwanted "canned goods".
Poor teabagger.
You mean the bill that was loaded with pork for a road in alaska??? how sad that there are parts of Ny and NJ that still don't have power...must be Bush's fault....I hope everyone of those scumbag democrats who voted for the worthless piece of crap in the white house are freezing their asses off
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

ga_patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the bill that was loaded with pork for a road in alaska??? how sad that there are parts of Ny and NJ that still don't have power...must be Bush's fault....I hope everyone of those scumbag democrats who voted for the worthless piece of crap in the white house are freezing their asses off
Yes, that bill.

If teabaggers were so "concerned" about all the "pork" in the bill,why didn't they call them out and identify the culprits that put the crap in there?

Why doesn't FAUX, Trump or Limbaughtomy expose them?

The "pork" would have been removed in a week.

Instead they whined.

A lawmaker from Mississippi is coming under fire for voting against aid to Hurricane Sandy victims seven years after he pleaded with federal officials to fund the recovery in his storm-battered community after Hurricane Katrina.

The lawmaker, Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-MS), was Deputy Director and CFO of the Biloxi Housing Authority in 2005, when Hurricane Katrina battered the Gulf Coast. Biloxi, a city in Mississippi, was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina.

“We will rebuild and we’ll provide homes for those displaced; but we cannot do that until it is funded,” Palazzo was quoted as saying.“We’re ready to do the work- but we simply do not have the financial resources on our own to handle a catastrophe like Katrina...Send us money so we can put families back together and do our part to rebuild our community.”

Now, when a hurricane has battered the East Coast, Palazzo is singing a different tune. Last week, he was one of 67 Republicans to vote against a Sandy relief package that passed the House last week.

Hypocritical teabagger.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, I was pointing out the stupidity of Obama pandering to gun owners.
He is simply a puppet. He has not had a single independent thought sense the idiot got elected. Every move, every speech is just rehash of old liberals past. From his health care (originally Hillary and Bills plan) to gun control (also Hillary and Bills plan). Haven't you noticed Hillary controlling both presidents? Every move he makes is planed out by someone else. He can however vote "present".
Freddy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> He is simply a puppet. He has not had a single independent thought sense the idiot got elected. Every move, every speech is just rehash of old liberals past. From his health care (originally Hillary and Bills plan) to gun control (also Hillary and Bills plan). Haven't you noticed Hillary controlling both presidents? Every move he makes is planed out by someone else. He can however vote "present".
I had never considered the Clinton influence on Obama. It's obvious he's getting ideas from someone, not himself.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>
I had never considered the Clinton influence on Obama. It's obvious he's getting ideas from someone, not himself.
You got that right Obama is being influenced by the New Left Generation which includes Bill & Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Dianne Fienstien, Nancy Pelosi, and I could keep going but its anybody associated or come to age in the 1960's that adopted those veiws of the New Left.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

The last American President was Carter. Sure not a perfect Presidency, but the inperfections were highlighted by the media, the start of the end? Let's see, Reagan, or better yet, Ray-Gun,(listen to the Woodstock album, just before Drug Store Truck Driving Man), was an actor acting for the defense monopoly. Clinton repealed, ended, the rules and laws that were created right after the crash of 1929, the rules and laws that were created so a debacle like that would not happen again. Bush & Bush, well, the defense momopoly is a big part of our current 16 trillion $$ debt and the world court would like juniors head for the war crimes he commited, like needlessly invading a country. Obama has the band-aid kit out for us, but big oil is still making 10 billion$$ a quarter. And now we are getting set-up to have some of our rights outright taken away, but what is even more sinister is the foundation being laid to take away all. Blumenthal helped create the Eminent Domain Laws that benefit private developers. Take a look at Brooklyn,( the new center), and New London. He has also written a lot into Feinsteins bill. So when you look to where the "ideas" are coming from, follow the money.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

ALEC is literally involved in writing most GOP policy papers on a state and Federal level…

Funded almost entirely by large corporations, ALEC produces “model legislation” favorable to industry that state lawmakers can introduce as their own bills. Usually, the legislators tweak the language of the bills to make them state-specific or to obfuscate their origins. Usually, but apparently not always.

In November, Florida state Rep. Rachel Burgin (R) introduced a resolution that would officially call on the federal government to reduce corporate taxes, but she apparentlyforgot to remove ALEC’s mission statement from the top of the bill, which she seems to have copied word-for-word from ALEC’s model bill.

As the government transparency group Common Cause reports,“Burgin quickly withdrew the bill hoping that no one had noticed and then re-introduced it 24-hours later, with a new bill number (HM 717), but now without the problematic paragraph.” Apparently no one noticed until this week.
While it’s no secret by now that conservative lawmakers in state capitals everywhere have used ALEC’s legislation to tear down environmental and labor regulations, curb voting rights, and coordinate a business-friendly agenda nationwide, it’s rare to see it on display so clearly.

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yes, that bill.
If teabaggers were so "concerned" about all the "pork" in the bill,why didn't they call them out and identify the culprits that put the crap in there?
Why doesn't FAUX, Trump or Limbaughtomy expose them?
The "pork" would have been removed in a week.
Instead they whined.
A lawmaker from Mississippi is coming under fire for voting against aid to Hurricane Sandy victims seven years after he pleaded with federal officials to fund the recovery in his storm-battered community after Hurricane Katrina.
The lawmaker, Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-MS), was Deputy Director and CFO of the Biloxi Housing Authority in 2005, when Hurricane Katrina battered the Gulf Coast. Biloxi, a city in Mississippi, was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina.
“We will rebuild and we’ll provide homes for those displaced; but we cannot do that until it is funded,” Palazzo was quoted as saying.“We’re ready to do the work- but we simply do not have the financial resources on our own to handle a catastrophe like Katrina...Send us money so we can put families back together and do our part to rebuild our community.”
Now, when a hurricane has battered the East Coast, Palazzo is singing a different tune. Last week, he was one of 67 Republicans to vote against a Sandy relief package that passed the House last week.
Hypocritical teabagger.
The house blocked the bill,that is what they were elected to do.Who were they going to call them out to...the liberal we love oblunder media. I bet you have many "teabags" resting on your chin. I'm sure one day you will have oblunders there...you will have to get in line behind chris mathews and ed shultz.

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

ALEC is literally involved in writing most GOP policy papers on a state and Federal level…
Funded almost entirely by large corporations, ALEC produces “model legislation” favorable to industry that state lawmakers can introduce as their own bills. Usually, the legislators tweak the language of the bills to make them state-specific or to obfuscate their origins. Usually, but apparently not always.
In November, Florida state Rep. Rachel Burgin (R) introduced a resolution that would officially call on the federal government to reduce corporate taxes, but she apparentlyforgot to remove ALEC’s mission statement from the top of the bill, which she seems to have copied word-for-word from ALEC’s model bill.
As the government transparency group Common Cause reports,“Burgin quickly withdrew the bill hoping that no one had noticed and then re-introduced it 24-hours later, with a new bill number (HM 717), but now without the problematic paragraph.” Apparently no one noticed until this week.
While it’s no secret by now that conservative lawmakers in state capitals everywhere have used ALEC’s legislation to tear down environmental and labor regulations, curb voting rights, and coordinate a business-friendly agenda nationwide, it’s rare to see it on display so clearly.
Curb voting rights????? Thats the lefts way of saying we want everyone to vote wether they are eligable or not. Since the left thinks it's alright to vote with an electric bill since voting is a right should those same disenfranchised voters be able to buy a gun with an electric bill as ID? Self defense is a right. The ACLU in florida wants felons rights to be restored so they can vote,should they be able to own a gun also??? Or are you just another leftwing asshole from new york now living in florida enjoying a state with no income tax?
Barry O

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

CTM wrote:
The last American President was Carter. Sure not a perfect Presidency, but the inperfections were highlighted by the media, the start of the end? Let's see, Reagan, or better yet, Ray-Gun,(listen to the Woodstock album, just before Drug Store Truck Driving Man), was an actor acting for the defense monopoly. Clinton repealed, ended, the rules and laws that were created right after the crash of 1929, the rules and laws that were created so a debacle like that would not happen again. Bush & Bush, well, the defense momopoly is a big part of our current 16 trillion $$ debt and the world court would like juniors head for the war crimes he commited, like needlessly invading a country. Obama has the band-aid kit out for us, but big oil is still making 10 billion$$ a quarter. And now we are getting set-up to have some of our rights outright taken away, but what is even more sinister is the foundation being laid to take away all. Blumenthal helped create the Eminent Domain Laws that benefit private developers. Take a look at Brooklyn,( the new center), and New London. He has also written a lot into Feinsteins bill. So when you look to where the "ideas" are coming from, follow the money.
There are probably 52 people who would disagree about Jimmy being a great president.
2 posts removed
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

ga_patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the bill that was loaded with pork for a road in alaska??? how sad that there are parts of Ny and NJ that still don't have power...must be Bush's fault....I hope everyone of those scumbag democrats who voted for the worthless piece of crap in the white house are freezing their asses off
You're repeating stupid rightwing idiocy like a retarded parrot! The Sandy Hurricane Bill was on one, yes one, single sheet of paper - no pork no riders ... yemoron!!

Here is a copy of it, provided you know how to read you pathetic piece of dogshit!!

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 41

To temporarily increase the borrowing authority of the Federal Emergency Management Agency for carrying out the National Flood Insurance Program.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 3, 2013

A BILL

To temporarily increase the borrowing authority of the Federal Emergency Management Agency for carrying out the National Flood Insurance Program.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. TEMPORARY INCREASE IN BORROWING AUTHORITY FOR NATIONAL FLOOD INSURANCE PROGRAM.

(a) Section 1309(a) of the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C. 4016(a)) is amended by striking ‘$20,725,000,000’ and inserting ‘$30,425,000,000’[=$9.7 billion ]

(b) The amount provided by this section is designated by the Congress as an emergency requirement pursuant to section 403(a) of S. Con. Res. 13 (111th Congress), the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2010, and as an emergency pursuant to section 4(g) of the Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2010 (2 U.S.C. 933(g)).
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
This from a single wide section 8 dwelling loser lib mooch?
Say it ain't so boy.
For the record, 3.
Wow, you da man! How can one argue with such spectacular mental brilliance - yemoron!!
1 post removed
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Barry O wrote:
<quoted text>
There are probably 52 people who would disagree about Jimmy being a great president.
..........I never said he was a great President, I said he was the last REAL one. One that had the interests of the American people at heart. Without a doubt EVERY single President after him has had their pocket and their friends profit margin at the forefront of their true agenda. Yes there were some blunders that the media put in the forefront. Probably paving the way for "Ray-Gun".
Besara

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

CTM wrote:
<quoted text>..........I never said he was a great President, I said he was the last REAL one. One that had the interests of the American people at heart. Without a doubt EVERY single President after him has had their pocket and their friends profit margin at the forefront of their true agenda. Yes there were some blunders that the media put in the forefront. Probably paving the way for "Ray-Gun".
BWAHAHAHA!!! The last REAL president? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••