Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9647 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#9490 Dec 31, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
We were not married by "a renegade justice of the peace who violated California law". We were married by a state ordained minister under a law that allowed us to be married, and they still recognize our marriage today. Mrs Whitewater
In 2004, Mayor Gavin Newsom San Francisco directed the city/county clerk to issue same sex marriage licenses in violation of state law. In August 2004, the Supreme Court of California annulled the marriages that Newsom had authorized, as they conflicted with state law at that time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Newsom

Your renegade mayor doesn't trump the law.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9491 Dec 31, 2012
Gay wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, all those old bytches are stupid bigots... but that's not the point : marriage should be defined as GAY ONLY, male/female marriages produce offsprings and this planet suffers from severe overpopulation, we should strictly restrict breeding if we don't want to end up in a world like Soylent Green. Gay marriage is pure love without the risk of hurting the planet by producing more humans, GO GAYS, FCK YOU BREEDERS (not literally or don't get pregnant anyway...)!!!!!!
Unfortunately, preventing breeders from marrying won't prevent them from breeding.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9492 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well gee...I guess if you through enough of it against the wall something has to stick! All that crap just to say because you "love" the guy your having anal sex with its not "sodomy"?
You sure spend a lot of time imagining what happens in two men's bedroom. Why is that? Do you think I spend my days worrying about what kind of sodomy you commit with your wife or girlfriend? Do you think I should care? Why do you care about what we do or don't do?

Note that I have shared nothing of my sexual practices with you. Everything you claim comes directly from your own perverted imaginings.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9493 Dec 31, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>In 2004, Mayor Gavin Newsom San Francisco directed the city/county clerk to issue same sex marriage licenses in violation of state law. In August 2004, the Supreme Court of California annulled the marriages that Newsom had authorized, as they conflicted with state law at that time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Newsom
Your renegade mayor doesn't trump the law.
We weren't married in 2004 either.......we were LEGALLY MARRIED in 2008......after the CSSC ruled Prop 22 UNCONSTITUTIONAL in the re Marriage ruling(May 2008) and before the passage of Prop 8!!

You simply don't get that our marriage was performed by an Ordained Minister, Blessed by God and remains very much legal, valid and recognized in spite of the passage of Prop 8!!!

#9494 Dec 31, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, preventing breeders from marrying won't prevent them from breeding.
Ain't that the truth......which is what most of the anti-gay folks don't get!!!

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#9495 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, Leviticus DOESN'T apply....IT CAN'T if Jesus died on the cross for our sins as you bible thumping idiot claim!!!
Romans isn't speaking about homosexuality either.....and it was written by Paul regarding Pagan rituals.......man, you bible thumpers will make any claim......lol!!!
Also anything from 1 Corinthians is also writings from Paul and have also been changed in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!
And I did bring it up.....I believe YOU did.....I just stated that it's not in Leviticus......and not in 1 Timothy either....in fact here is what 1 Timothy state:
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
No mentioned of HOMOSEXUALITY in the KJV and if your bible verses actually state homosexuality.....then it is a BASTARDIZED version.......because that word has been added and in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!
Where is homosexuality mentioned? I don't see mentioned one of Gays or Lesbians in those particular scriptures, and again......we don't live by your religious beliefs or your bible!!!
Actually both the Greek and Romans had no issue with Homosexuality in that time frame and practiced it often!!!
Sorry...that is all nonsense. The Bible doesn't mention what you call "homosexuality"...it mentions having gay sex and ALWAYS says don't do it.

Now if you aren't a Christian and choose to not believe it then good for you but please don't give me the "Bible doesn't really say that" argument...its absurd. I can read.

All you are doing is regurgitating the ridiculousness your gay Christian friends have been trying to sell for years. It doesn't wash.

The OC

#9496 Dec 31, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
You have just been caught in using logic.:)
LYEDIEW,
Mrs Whitewater
You two should get a room...oh wait...maybe you already have one.

The OC

#9497 Dec 31, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Galatians 3:28
New International Version (©1984)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
http://bible.cc/galatians/3-28.htm
John 14:23-24
Jesus replied,“If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

The OC

#9498 Dec 31, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
If you didn't consider my marriage your business, then why bring my marriage into it? And as for others wanting to bring tollerance into the schools, how long have we been fighting to seperate church an state and yet some still try to push prayer in puclic schools? Live and let live is the only right thing to do but that is too simple to understand I suppose.
Mrs Whitewater
Using the public school system to teach other people's kids a particular view of sexuality is not tolerance.

Tolerance is defined as: "sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices DIFFERING from or CONFLICTING with one's own."

The schools are not teaching tolerance...they are trying to PERSUADE these children to believe as they do. That is the opposite of tolerance.

I say this is a very personal matter for each family to work out as they see fit. In a free society, I believe the schools should simply stay out of it. Apparently, you believe your friends have the right to teach my child what they believe whether I like it or not. It is YOU who are being intolerant. I wanted to stay neutral in the gay rights issue but because people like yourself want into the public schools I must oppose gay marriage and all gay rights.

You see...your marriage really does affect me and my family. You made it so.

#9499 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry...that is all nonsense. The Bible doesn't mention what you call "homosexuality"...it mentions having gay sex and ALWAYS says don't do it.
Now if you aren't a Christian and choose to not believe it then good for you but please don't give me the "Bible doesn't really say that" argument...its absurd. I can read.
All you are doing is regurgitating the ridiculousness your gay Christian friends have been trying to sell for years. It doesn't wash.
The bible doesn't mention "GAY" sex either and I'm not regurgitating ANYTHING, simply interpreting it differently than you.......that's something you can't handle!!!

#9500 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the public school system to teach other people's kids a particular view of sexuality is not tolerance.
Tolerance is defined as: "sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices DIFFERING from or CONFLICTING with one's own."
The schools are not teaching tolerance...they are trying to PERSUADE these children to believe as they do. That is the opposite of tolerance.
I say this is a very personal matter for each family to work out as they see fit. In a free society, I believe the schools should simply stay out of it. Apparently, you believe your friends have the right to teach my child what they believe whether I like it or not. It is YOU who are being intolerant. I wanted to stay neutral in the gay rights issue but because people like yourself want into the public schools I must oppose gay marriage and all gay rights.
But it is okay to teach kids that heterosexuality is okay, right? I mean that's what is done every day in school by Teachers who share their personal family histories, yet you don't want kids learning that there are other types of families out there that are just as normal as yours, right?

Actually, our marriage DOESN'T affect you or your family......and the only way it might, would be if we were part of your community or your child's school, but we aren't in either......and neither my wife or I have told ANYONE at ANY school what to teach, though we both have volunteered out our grandchild's school......we don't bring our personal beliefs or lives into it........now, I gotta tell ya that our grandchild is very proud of us and speaks of us often......and our community knows who we are and they treat us with respect, that doesn't mean everyone is our friend, but it does mean that we are very much a part of the community in which we live in!!!

I'm sorry you have issues with what's going to be taught in the school curriculum, but guess what......I don't agree with certain things being taught either.......especially when it comes to ignoring the contributions that Women have made, yet our history books speak mostly about the great contributions only by men.

Now, you can continue to accuse every Gay and Lesbian person as being responsible for including Gays and Lesbians in the curriculum......but the fact remains that it won't stop it from happening.....and you sound just like those bigoted white folks who made such a stink over Black kids being integrated in white schools back in the day!!!

Peace to you and yours......May you have a Safe and Happy New Year!!!

#9501 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You two should get a room...oh wait...maybe you already have one.
We do, we're married and we live together.......but we don't share anything on topix except that we are married and love each other.....if that makes you sick.....well, I'm sorry for that.....get over it!!!

Again, Peace to you and yours:-)

The OC

#9502 Dec 31, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
"If Jesus ever said anything about homosexuality, it is not recorded in the Bible, even mistranslated. He did, however, speak extensively on God's unconditional love. Yet instead of dwelling on biblical love, Christians have historically been more concerned with obscure passages of Levitical cleanliness codes and Paul's misunderstood comments in Romans. Instead of focusing on the incredible injustice and hatred demonstrated by Christians and others, tying to deny homosexuals even basic civil rights, people appear more concerned with the specific homosexual acts between consenting adults who are naturally have a homosexual orientation. As James B. Nelson notes, the Bible more clearly advocates a "love ethic" rather than a "sex ethic."
Ah yes...the old "but Jesus didn't say anything about 'homosexuality' and he said we should love one another" argument.

Nonsense. The Bible is clear and consistent in its condemnation of gay sex. The Gospels don't record Jesus talking about gay sex because there is no need to. Reasonable people don't argue the matter...only gay activists and their friends.

Jesus did define marriage for us though.

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one.(Matt 19:4-6)

But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one.(Mark 10:6-8)

And please spare the "he was talking about divorce" thing. He was RESPONDING to a question about divorce and in the process reiterated Biblical marriage...and with a certain amount of reverence...don't you think?

The OC

#9503 Dec 31, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1:26-27 mentions homosexual acts performed by people who are clearly described as heterosexual...
So this means that if you are "homosexual" its okay but if you are "heterosexual" then its not?

But below you say "homosexual" didn't even exist yet.

This is why I keep saying you guys are throwing stuff against the wall hoping something will stick.

The Bible is clear and consistent on this issue. "Do not" means "do not". How you feel about it doesn't come into play. That is just more nonsense.
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "homosexual" wasn't even invented until 1869. When you see it in the bible, you know it is a modern mistranslation and misinterpretation of the original texts.
"What the Bible forbids is acts of lust, rape, idolatry, violation of religious purity obligations, or pederasty, but no condemnation of homosexuality in relationships of mutual respect and love. "On the other hand, the Bible pointedly celebrates instances of same-sex emotional intimacy, a fact often overlooked by fearful homophobic readers." James B. Nelson, Professor of Christian Ethics, United Theological Seminary
This is one of the best ones. This is the "but the Bible doesn't condemn gay sex in a loving, committed relationship" argument.

True. It never mentions the feelings at all. It just says don't do it.

And the Bible "instances of same-sex emotional intimacy"? That is so absurd I dare not even address it! Are we talking about David and Jonathon here? Maybe...and a very BIG maybe...some sexual line was crossed in one verse. Again...maybe! But celebrated?!?

I think you need to realize that posting a quote from another person does not make a real argument. Please stop!

Gays and gay activists know that their biggest obstacle to gaining favor in the public's eye is religious doctrine. Specifically, the Bible. So somehow...someway...they are going to get that Book to say what the want!

Yet after all the "analysis" and discussion we still open up our Bibles and the words are still there! That must be so frustrating for you guys!

The OC

#9504 Dec 31, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure spend a lot of time imagining what happens in two men's bedroom. Why is that? Do you think I spend my days worrying about what kind of sodomy you commit with your wife or girlfriend? Do you think I should care? Why do you care about what we do or don't do?
Note that I have shared nothing of my sexual practices with you. Everything you claim comes directly from your own perverted imaginings.
You got me. I am just a closet case. I am suppressing my raging homosexual feelings. Actually, sometimes when these feelings come up I just feel like going out and beating up gays.

Aren't we all like that?

Puhleeease!!

The OC

#9505 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
But it is okay to teach kids that heterosexuality is okay, right? I mean that's what is done every day in school by Teachers who share their personal family histories, yet you don't want kids learning that there are other types of families out there that are just as normal as yours, right?
Actually, our marriage DOESN'T affect you or your family......and the only way it might, would be if we were part of your community or your child's school, but we aren't in either......and neither my wife or I have told ANYONE at ANY school what to teach, though we both have volunteered out our grandchild's school......we don't bring our personal beliefs or lives into it........now, I gotta tell ya that our grandchild is very proud of us and speaks of us often......and our community knows who we are and they treat us with respect, that doesn't mean everyone is our friend, but it does mean that we are very much a part of the community in which we live in!!!
I'm sorry you have issues with what's going to be taught in the school curriculum, but guess what......I don't agree with certain things being taught either.......especially when it comes to ignoring the contributions that Women have made, yet our history books speak mostly about the great contributions only by men.
Now, you can continue to accuse every Gay and Lesbian person as being responsible for including Gays and Lesbians in the curriculum......but the fact remains that it won't stop it from happening.....and you sound just like those bigoted white folks who made such a stink over Black kids being integrated in white schools back in the day!!!
Peace to you and yours......May you have a Safe and Happy New Year!!!
Uh oh...I must have struck a nerve. Making too much sense?

The schools don't teach "heterosexuality". There is no program aimed a such a thing. But I have linked repeatedly to curriculum aimed at teaching our youngest of children about homosexuality. See the difference?

I did PROVE that your marriage affects my family by how it changes our culture and what will be taught to my children in public schools if your friends continue with their agenda. I am not blaming all gays for this agenda. I am just pointing out that it exists and its not just about you and your rights.

And "black kids integrated into white schools"? What the hell are you talking about? I simply don't want the public schools teaching my kids a view on sexuality that I disagree with. Its not about YOU or any other gay person. Its about MY kids and MY family.

The OC

#9506 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
We do, we're married and we live together.......but we don't share anything on topix except that we are married and love each other.....if that makes you sick.....well, I'm sorry for that.....get over it!!!
Again, Peace to you and yours:-)
What the...?!?

Why do you write "if that makes you sick"?

Look...I can't help it if your imagination runs wild with what I believe about you. The truth is I don't care either way. Live how you want.

As I have written 100 times I am concerned with how gay rights affects MY family. I have demonstrated repeatedly that it does in the public schools. I have also demonstrated that almost every gay person on Topix is in support of schools teaching other people's kids their version of sexuality whether the parents like it or not.

So...it is YOU and your friends who are intolerant. It is YOU who and your friends who cannot simply live and let live.

You don't simply want "equal rights". You want to force full public endorsement of your sexuality through any means necessary.

Gay rights affects us all.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9507 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lie.

Teaching kids there are different types of attractions in regards to gays and heterosexuals is exactly that. Giving them a full understanding. Hardly a format of persuation you dumb moron.

LOL!!!

Since when can someone be "persuaded" to be gay or straight you goof...LOL!!!!!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9508 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Who gives a shit how you yourself interpret the Bible or religion for that matter?

You can think Jesus carpools with you for advice on your way to work every day as far as anyone cares dipshit.

LOL!!!

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#9509 Dec 31, 2012
Have a BLESSED New Year everyone! The YEAR OF OUR LORD, 2013.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min No Name 1,509,413
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Justice Dale 239,512
News Poll: Job approval for Congress at record low (Aug '11) 4 min Tramps Trailer 95
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Patriot AKA Bozo 63,570
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 6 min Crystal_Clear722 7,554
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 8 min Tm Cln 3,406
News Fights erupt at pro-Trump rally on California b... 13 min jonjedi 94
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 27 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 262,247
News Ivanka Trump: A White House force, just not an ... 50 min jonjedi 171
More from around the web