Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 Full story: The Skanner 9,656

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Full Story

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#2716 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus replied, "All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them.
<< Leviticus 18:22 >>
'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
New Living Translation (©2007)
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.
English Standard Version (©2001)
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Never have sexual intercourse with a man as with a woman. It is disgusting.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman: it is abomination.
American King James Version
You keep quoting this single verse from Leviticus. Is that the only verse? Do you follow all of the other verses? Not Yet Equal has listed some of those other verses found in your precious bible (post 2714, and others, thanks to him) so be sure you are right with those verses before you expect anyone else to take you seriously.

For me, since there is no Leviticus in my religious texts, I guess none of those apply to me.

PS: Why aren't you in church? Isn't this some type of holy day?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2717 Apr 1, 2012
I need some more-stimulating conversation. I think I'll go out and talk to my rocks.

Littleton, NH

#2718 Apr 1, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
PS: Why aren't you in church? Isn't this some type of holy day?
Oh, is that why all the kids in town are carrying palm leaves through the snow storm?

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#2719 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You can never discredit the Bible but you can continue to try.....
actually stoning was a legal form of punishment in those days...
those rules were for the children of Israel..the Jews who followed the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and jacob....
yet GOD still doles out judgement to those who disobey his laws.....
there were also hygienic rules meant for primitive times...when they didn't have running running....
those rules aren't for developed countries where you turn on a faucett and clean water comes out....
Your friend "Troll stopper" thought he could discredit the Bible because it said that a man was unclean if he touched a dead pig....
but it only showed his ignorance and impressive wisdom of the Bible.... as the people of that day didn't know about microorganisms but the creator did.
Gee, how does posting what your bible actually says discredit it? One would think that you would be pleased that Not Yet Equal was helping you to spread its words of truth, as you claim. Isn't it all truth?

Oh, so as you claim, these only apply to jews! So these laws in Leviticus DO NOT APPLY! Then why do you keep posting it? Make up your mind!
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#2720 Apr 1, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, how does posting what your bible actually says discredit it? One would think that you would be pleased that Not Yet Equal was helping you to spread its words of truth, as you claim. Isn't it all truth?
Oh, so as you claim, these only apply to jews! So these laws in Leviticus DO NOT APPLY! Then why do you keep posting it? Make up your mind!
You do know that there are different times for church services and if I had time....

I'd go thru each of his verses but why should I when you all had my answers to "Troll stopper's" Bible verses removed.

I never said they (all) applied only to Jews..... of course the ten commandments are for all.....

the hygienic laws were only for that day..although some would still apply today.....

they had laws, they lived by in those days that would be illegal for man to carry out today...but GOD still punishes those who disobey his commands.

This is new testament and for today;

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions.

For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations

with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Romans 1:26-27

Read more: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/bible...

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2721 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
those rules were for the children of Israel..the Jews who followed the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and jacob....
I am not attempting to discredit the bible, but rather your use of the bible to promote suffering and death.

As you note, those old testament rules no longer apply, yet you keep using them to justify your deadly prejudice, ignoring the many verses that tell you not to harm others.

Matthew 7:12,: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14: The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

James 2-8 But if you keep the greatest law of all, as it is given in the holy Writings, Have love for your neighbour as for yourself, you do well:

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

Mark 12:30-31: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10:27: He answered:‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'

Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:9 The commandments,“Do not commit adultery,”“Do not murder,”“Do not steal,”“Do not covet,” and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule:“Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 John 4:21: And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

James 4-11 Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

Romans 12-10: Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Leviticus 19:18: You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:34: But the stranger that dwells with you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

John 13:34: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

John 15:17: This is my command: Love each other.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#2722 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that there are different times for church services and if I had time....
I'd go thru each of his verses but why should I when you all had my answers to "Troll stopper's" Bible verses removed.
I never said they (all) applied only to Jews..... of course the ten commandments are for all.....
the hygienic laws were only for that day..although some would still apply today.....
they had laws, they lived by in those days that would be illegal for man to carry out today...but GOD still punishes those who disobey his commands.
For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations
with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Then why did you expressly say:(post 2715)
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
there were also hygienic rules meant for primitive times...when they didn't have running running....
those rules aren't for developed countries where you turn on a faucett and clean water comes out....
Your friend "Troll stopper" thought he could discredit the Bible because it said that a man was unclean if he touched a dead pig....
but it only showed his ignorance and impressive wisdom of the Bible.... as the people of that day didn't know about microorganisms but the creator did.
I'll extract the pertinent passage:
"those rules were for the children of Israel..the Jews who followed the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and jacob...."

Don't you even agree with what you write? Or do you only read 20% of what you write?

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#2723 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Leviticus, there is no Romans verses to be found in my religious texts. Again it doesn't hold any meaning for me.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#2724 Apr 1, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
I need some more-stimulating conversation. I think I'll go out and talk to my rocks.
Hey now......some of us can give ya what you're looking for.....but others are best to just scroll on by......lol!!

Since: Mar 12

Baltimore, MD

#2725 Apr 1, 2012
Mitt s Santorum Slippage wrote:
I guess if "it's a sin" then gluttonous people should not be permitted to marry.
Or to eat at their wedding reception, more accurately....
its not the same,its cool to be gluttonous and marry the opp sex ,no problem

Since: Mar 12

Baltimore, MD

#2726 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
your rt carrol, but some ppl want too take it up yhe butt hole, no matter wht you quote

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2727 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you definitely are....
you claim that their forefather Abraham was a myth..
you claim that their return to the Holy Land as prophesied by the Bible is a myth as well....
You claim that their 3000 plus history as chronicled in the Bible is a myth as well.
YOU ARE TRULY A BIGOTED, INTOLERANT ANTI SEMITIC!!!!!
did you ever stop to think that maybe mona is a jew?

and the bible isn't history. it's a collection of many things, but history isn't among them

and yes, avram existed.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2728 Apr 1, 2012
Gay Mom wrote:
Your proof?(As admissable in a court of law. Bible and opinion don't count)
Bible? You must have me confused with Not Yet Equal, he's the one using Bible quotes.

Littleton, NH

#2729 Apr 1, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Carol, Carol, Carol. While whatever the murderer of Christians named Saul had to say in his letter to Roman Christians is only of passing interest to me, it saddens me that those who claim to hold his letter dear haven't read it.

If you had ever bothered to read the whole letter, you would understand that it was not written to the people you keep clobbering with it. It was written to the Roman Christians, warning them that acting the way you yourself are acting will bring God's judgment against you yourself and the Romans themselves.

This could not be any clearer from the text, as the third person is used when referring to the sinners, and second person is used when warning of God's wrath. Basically, Saul was warning them to stop nattering about the behavior of the Pagans and to worry of their own salvation. It was a time very like our own where people sought salvation for themselves by condemning others.

This theme runs throughout the Gospels: Your salvation is a personal matter between you and God. He does not want you to bring others into the equation against their will: That is up to Him.

So please, go in peace. You allow yourself to much unnecessary worry about others.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#2730 Apr 1, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You've got a tremendous public relations problem with minority communities and no credibility when you steal their civil rights history to change the definition of marriage. Your troubles don't come from the PR arm of NOM, they come from your lying words.
Protect marriage, against defamation.
We were fighting for equality in the 40's, same as blacks were. We were fighting for equality if the 50's same as blacks were. We were fighting for equality in the 60's, same as blacks were.

BTW Marriage is a lifestyle choice too.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#2731 Apr 1, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Yet, ethnic groups and minorities fighting for their own equal civil rights, don't share your desire to redefine marriage; what's up with that? You blame your opponents for effectively achieving strategic goals, but this is about the loss of public support for same sex marriage in groups most concerned with civil rights.
Sucks to be you.
The NAACP supports SSM:
NAACP endorses Gay Marriage - Vote NO on Prop 8

You keep making that false claim and yet look at the number of Catholic and Hispanic countries that have passed SSM.

sucks to be you

“Love thy neighbor!”

Westland , MI

#2732 Apr 1, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Bible? You must have me confused with Not Yet Equal, he's the one using Bible quotes.
Evasion...your proof?

Littleton, NH

#2733 Apr 1, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Bible? You must have me confused with Not Yet Equal, he's the one using Bible quotes.
That's right. You provide no proof at all, although you pretend that protecting religion is among your reasons for opposing freedom of religion for those that support equality.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#2734 Apr 1, 2012
DOMA itself grants States the right to recognize SSM. And Clement is defending it, though he tries to sound like he isn't supporting SSM. Clement, the guy hired by the Speaker of the House, Republican Boehner is planning on going into Federal court to argue that DOMA is Constitutional because of the Supremacy clause.
He will actually arguing that marriage is a Federal issue and that SSM would result in a "patchwork" of laws among the States.

Yet that is exactly what DOMA creates. It will be interesting if this blows up in their faces and the courts look to article 4 Sec 1 & 2 as reasons to declare DOMA unconstitutional.

Then SCOTUS will be faced with several court cases that cite Article 4 Sec 1 & 2, Amendments 1, 9 and 14 in supporting SSM.

I can almost hear certain heads exploding. The ones who love to cite Baker vs Nelson to claim that there is no Constitutional right to SSM.

Well folks the guy your leader hired is going to court to defend a FEDERAL law defining marriage that ALLOWS SSM! So much for all your States Right s claims! LMAO

In Massachusetts' lawsuit, Coakley argued that the law violates the U.S. Constitution by interfering with the state's right to make its own marriage laws and forces the state to violate the constitutional rights of its residents by treating married gay couples differently than other married couples.

"We essentially have to keep two sets of books - you're married for state purposes, but you're not married for federal purposes. It requires us, in a way, to discriminate against our citizens because so many federal benefits are distributed through state agencies," Coakley said Friday.

In GLAD's lawsuit, Tauro found that the law violates the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution.

"Massachusetts made this decision to marry these people, and they are married," said GLAD attorney Mary Bonauto. "Now they come before the federal government as married people, as anybody else in Massachusetts does, but only the same-sex couples are denied recognition under federal law."

In 2011, President Barack Obama announced that the U.S. Department of Justice would no longer defend the constitutionality of the law. After that, House Speaker John Boehner convened the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group to defend it.

Paul Clement, the Washington lawyer who argued before the U.S. Supreme Court this week on behalf of 26 states that oppose Obama's health care law, will argue on behalf of the bipartisan group in the DOMA case. Clement did not return a call seeking comment Friday.

In legal briefs filed in court, Clement argues that the challenges to the law appear to be based on the claim that Congress has no legitimate interest in providing a federal definition of marriage and has no choice but to adopt the state definition.

"Congress has multiple rational bases for preferring a uniform federal definition over a patchwork, so DOMA should survive unless there is something categorically different about marriage. There is not," Clement wrote.

"Congress has ample power to define the terms used in federal statutes to apportion federal benefits and burdens. Any other rule would turn the Supremacy Clause and our entire constitutional structure upside down."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/03/31/2278488/gay-...

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Location hidden

#2735 Apr 1, 2012
kerry butler wrote:
<quoted text>your rt carrol, but some ppl want too take it up yhe butt hole, no matter wht you quote
you're right, and the highest percentage of people doing so are straight. not only that, but it has nothing to do with the bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min red and right 284,270
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min DanFromSmithville 128,020
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? 8 min P_Smith 1,588
Michele Bachmann: Obama Won Because He's Black ... (Feb '14) 12 min Swedenforever 390
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 37 min Jay 163,301
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 37 min Swedenforever 214
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min Sgt Prepper 180,988
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,144,590
Republicans challenge Obama's executive actions... 1 hr Chicopee 212
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 1 hr Swedenforever 52
Congress can block use of fees for immigration ... 2 hr barefoot2626 44

US Politics People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE