Some tea party congressmen find signs...

Some tea party congressmen find signs of political backlash at home

There are 413 comments on the The Washington Post story from Oct 6, 2013, titled Some tea party congressmen find signs of political backlash at home. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Nearly three years after a band of renegade congressmen brought the tea party insurgency to Washington, there are early rumblings of a political backlash in some of their districts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#425 Oct 23, 2013
TN Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I guess the problem, or confusion I have over this issue is that I am part of that demographic as well, white, male, middle class. I have no debt (except a mortgage) I have never been on any government assistance in my life, or benefitted from any of those government programs personally, and faithfully pay my taxes. I started working when I was 15 years old (born in the early seventies) and have always paid taxes.
I am not upset by this at all. I don't feel that I am being treated unfairly by the government or unduly taxed. I just don't see where all the angst comes from. I feel it is our moral and civic duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Does that mean carry or support a bunch of lazy free loaders... heck no. Does that happen in the system some... I'm sure it does. No system is perfect though and any system can be exploited. Does that mean we should just get rid of systems of social support... no, I don't think it does. I applaud the idea behind the AHCA even if I am disappointed in its implementation so far. I think in time the problems can be ironed out though.
I wish the Republicans would come up with some credible alternatives to overhauling healthcare in response to the AHCA (or had done so before hand) but instead they just want to complain about how bad they think it is without ever offering anything constructive in it's place. The reality behind that is that they would have been happy to let it continue on as it was, and ignore the problems... because hey... it doesn't affect the rich right? They have always been able to get the best medical care, so who cares about anyone else. That is their attitude deep down though they won't come right out and admit it.
I dont disagree with much of your post, just one thing.

Let me ask you this, do you think all those lobbyists on Capitol hill are walking right by the dems to get to the reps?

They are all looking out for the rich.
imaginaryfriend

Plymouth, MI

#426 Oct 23, 2013
Fully investigate pRick Snyder's NERD fund. He is a criminal who is guilty of conspiracy and racketeering.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#427 Oct 23, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
And they should be looked up, and sued as well. You cannot go around threatening people. It isn't a joke. You people really are nuts.
Even a shnook like you must know that he was speaking metaphorically. You have been threatening the well-being of America.

Location hidden

#428 Oct 23, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
whats wrong with ' I buy mine, you buy yours'?
Nothing. That is what Obamacare advocates.

United States

#429 Oct 23, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>What?...You want me to explain Cat for you?....Grover Norquist?..what?
No, my comments were directed at Cat74.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#430 Oct 23, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, my comments were directed at Cat74.
Oh sorry,....if you're here long enough, you might also regret the time lost...responding to people like Cat and Jimbo.....I don't think we can recoup that?...lol....

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#431 Oct 23, 2013
Healthcare.gov Refers Users to Uncertified Navigators and Assisters...
Launch spawns over 700 cyber-squatters...
Feds instruct BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD not to reveal sign-up numbers...
Gov't invokes 'privacy' to shield public employees while snooping on rest...
CBSNEWS: Website Underestimates Cost of Insurance...
'Alpha teams' formed to address problems...
Millions of Americans Losing Health Plans...
Senate Dems Up For Re-Election To Back Mandate Delay...
1 post removed

Location hidden

#433 Oct 23, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Not after six democratic senators are now calling to delay the individual mandate for a year which will kill obamammess.
It's not going to happen.
bubba

United States

#434 Oct 23, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
Healthcare.gov Refers Users to Uncertified Navigators and Assisters...
Launch spawns over 700 cyber-squatters...
Feds instruct BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD not to reveal sign-up numbers...
Gov't invokes 'privacy' to shield public employees while snooping on rest...
CBSNEWS: Website Underestimates Cost of Insurance...
'Alpha teams' formed to address problems...
Millions of Americans Losing Health Plans...
Senate Dems Up For Re-Election To Back Mandate Delay...
The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!
1 post removed
Brad

Bolton, CT

#436 Oct 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Administration fights to keep food stamp payments secret...
----------
CENSUS: 49% of Americans Receive Gov't Benefits...
----------
REPORT: U.S. Spent $3.7 Trillion on Welfare Over Last 5 Years...
Votes ain't cheap.

“Concerned in Tennessee”

Since: Dec 07

Knoxville, TN

#437 Oct 24, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont disagree with much of your post, just one thing.
Let me ask you this, do you think all those lobbyists on Capitol hill are walking right by the dems to get to the reps?
They are all looking out for the rich.
I can't argue with that. We have a largely broken, yet functional, system of government. We don't live in a democracy or even a representative Republic anymore. Law makers make their decisions based mainly on who gives them the most "campaign contributions," not the people that elected them. They try to make the electorate happy too, but getting that pay check is their #1 priority. I think much of the smoke and mirrors spun by the conservative and liberal media that gets everyone so stirred up (thank you FOX News and MSNBC) is just a show to distract the people from what is really going on.

I think two things in the last few decades have been really destructive to our democracy: the rise of the 24/7 cable "news" networks and the roll back on the limits of how much money (and disclosure) politicians can accept in "campaign contributions."

I mean, there isn't really 24/7 worth of "news" each day, so they have instead filled the extra time with demagoguery, and stirring up peoples fears and prejudices. All it has accomplished is to divide us a nation.

As for the campaign contributions... whether Republican or Democrat, does anyone think it is a good idea that people (ie. the ultra rich, and corporations) can give more money to candidates (ie. buy them) then ever before, and at the same time have a veil of secrecy that they are even doing it?!

Our problem isn't GW Bush, or Obama, it's the secret take over of our Government by corporations and the ultra rich.

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#438 Oct 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
----------
----------
and what of revoking Richfare

Cost to the U.S. Treasury from Tax Cuts for the Wealthiest Five Percent
First decade of Bush tax cuts, 2001 - 2010
$955 billion

Obama extension, 2011 - 2012 $229 billion
Proposed extension, 2013 - 2021 $2.02 trillion
Total cost, 2001 - 2021 $3.2 trillion
Source: Citizens for Tax Justice, Joint Committee on Taxation, and Congressional Budget Office. Figures do not include interest payments on debt incurred.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#440 Oct 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
----------
----------
BULLETIN: Cat caught on top of Mrs. Murphy's tree, while she cooks her chowder...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Dogen 210,146
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min WelbyMD 225,546
News Donald Trump's birther nonsense 32 min Joe Balls 25
News Early ballots: Clinton sees strength in NC but ... 45 min Carl Perrie 57
News Democrats see map and math working to their adv... (Jan '15) 48 min khacdau 63
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 61,525
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Abe 244,134
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr RoxLo 1,433,986
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 hr valerie 396,065
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 6 hr Fit2Serve 298
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 7 hr Lawrence Wolf 10,627
More from around the web