Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66306 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44027 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. You are getting your "cause and effect" analysis backwards:
The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994, are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.
http://www.kc3.com/editorial/40reasons.htm
No, look at the chart again. It's been declining since 1989--five years before the Brady Bill was signed. The BB expired in 2004 and gun violence continued to decline until today. Same holds true of gun ownership.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#44028 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
In this latest case, early reports say he stole his mothers guns.
You don't know.

Here's a thought: until you know: STFU.

Is it possible to keep your mouth shut until you know what you are talking about?

Experienced readers know the answer to this question is: NO.

Location hidden

#44029 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Pot, heroin, cocaine, all illegal in the US. Yet we have the highest percentage of our population locked up behind bars because of drug activities.
If drugs were legal, they wouldn't be in prison.

Putting aside pot isn't illegal everywhere in the US and within a few years: like alcohol, legal in most places.

Location hidden

#44030 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
It seems to me you never fired a gun. If you did, you would realize the need for higher capacity magazines.
You're an idiot.

So you have a problem putting around into a six inch target.

WHy not try using hand grenades?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44031 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 was twelve years ago.
Thank you for showing off your public education skills.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#44032 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, then ask yourself how they got guns? They were legal citizens making firearm purchases. How do you stop that unless you are psychic? In this latest case, early reports say he stole his mothers guns.

Pot, heroin, cocaine, all illegal in the US. Yet we have the highest percentage of our population locked up behind bars because of drug activities. Laws don't work on the criminal. That's why they're criminals in the first place. Laws only prevent law biding citizens from access to desired products.

It seems to me you never fired a gun. If you did, you would realize the need for higher capacity magazines. Guns are not always accurate--especially in a high stress situation. Even the police don't hit their target when they need to use their firearms. Here in Cleveland, our police chased a car for about a half-hour. It was suspected that they were armed. When they finally pinned the vehicle down, 13 officers fired 137 rounds into the car. Guess how many hit the two suspects? 47. That's a little over a third of the rounds fired, and these are highly trained officers.

A smaller clip might be useful if your opponent is one person, but if it's several people such as a gang coming after you, or you are shooting more than 20 feet you are going to need every round in that gun possible. Anybody can drop a clip and insert a new one in a matter of two seconds. Smaller clips won't solve anything. A killer will just bring more clips for the murders.
Gasoline is much more effective at killing large numbers of people than any gun is
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44033 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you say that??
Or
No, Mexico is pretty cool, especially where you live. I was just ribbin' ya.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44034 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Gasoline is much more effective at killing large numbers of people than any gun is
Yep. Just ask the unibomber.

Location hidden

#44035 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for showing off your public education skills.
Gosh: you were the idiot who said you wanted to use recent data and then posted twelve year old stats.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I guess that's why you drive a truck, eh?
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44036 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, then ask yourself how they got guns? They were legal citizens making firearm purchases. How do you stop that unless you are psychic? In this latest case, early reports say he stole his mothers guns.
XXX:

Once again, you are missing my point. It boils down to "personal responsibility" with regard to intelligent gun ownership. In essence, the dead mother is at fault for her own death, and the death of 20 children, and 8 adults.

Think about it. She knew her son was mentally deranged, yet failed to lock her guns up. Shame on her.

Yes, it is that simple. The mother's young deranged child would not have had access to those semi-automatic assault weapons had she simply locked them up.

I have zero tolerance for grossly negligent gun owners. Not cool. 20 kindergarteners and first-graders will not celebrate Christmas...ever...because of that negligent NRA biotch! I am soooo angry, yet sooooo sad!

How can you possibly disagree with what I have just outlined above.

GROSS NEGLIGENCE = the gun owner's own death (very often).

Location hidden

#44037 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Just ask the unibomber.
Unibomber killed three people.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer... eh?

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44038 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>No, Mexico is pretty cool, especially where you live. I was just ribbin' ya.
Ok
Thanks

This time of year is real special but it is becoming commercialized also

The parade route starts just south of the Sheraton resort and goes all the way to the church about two mile walk
Then two miles back and tonight will be the 8th night..........if you know the area it is a long walk but very worth it

Tamals
Elote
Pazole
Tacos
Atole

My 9 year old still likes to hold mom or dads hand even in front of their friends

They will offer to help any adult and are very respectful of all adults

They will hold up a strangers child smaller than them so they could get a better view

Not bragging at all.........That is the norm here

Not a lot we miss from Sonoma County.
Specially this time of year

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44039 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Just ask the unibomber.
Yep

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44040 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>XXX:

Once again, you are missing my point. It boils down to "personal responsibility" with regard to intelligent gun ownership. In essence, the dead mother is at fault for her own death, and the death of 20 children, and 8 adults.

Think about it. She knew her son was mentally deranged, yet failed to lock her guns up. Shame on her.

Yes, it is that simple. The mother's young deranged child would not have had access to those semi-automatic assault weapons had she simply locked them up.

I have zero tolerance for grossly negligent gun owners. Not cool. 20 kindergarteners and first-graders will not celebrate Christmas...ever...because of that negligent NRA biotch! I am soooo angry, yet sooooo sad!

I will agree...

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44041 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Unibomber killed three people.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer... eh?
And how many burnt to death or were crushed by the building caused by burning fuel on 911?

What would have happened instead of stealing a gun he stole a tanker truck full of gas and drove it thru the school

Or if he had just poured gas around the school and torched the whole school???

Far more dead........
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44042 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok
Thanks
This time of year is real special but it is becoming commercialized also
The parade route starts just south of the Sheraton resort and goes all the way to the church about two mile walk
Then two miles back and tonight will be the 8th night..........if you know the area it is a long walk but very worth it
Tamals
Elote
Pazole
Tacos
Atole
My 9 year old still likes to hold mom or dads hand even in front of their friends
They will offer to help any adult and are very respectful of all adults
They will hold up a strangers child smaller than them so they could get a better view
Not bragging at all.........That is the norm here
Not a lot we miss from Sonoma County.
Specially this time of year
PV is beautiful! I had the good fortune of visiting there about 10 years ago for my friend's wedding. Double cool was that I was the Best Man, so all of my expenses were paid for! I wish I could tell you where we stayed, but I can't remember. Quite opulent. It was beautiful!

The wedding took place on top of this cliff which overlooked the ocean. It was this cool, huge roof-top aparatus open to the air, and there were fireworks, but it was not the fourth of July. Does that location ring a bell?

I also remember the "no-see-ums" on the beach. Yikes...

Location hidden

#44043 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many burnt to death or were crushed by the building caused by burning fuel on 911?
How many were killed by the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima?

Location hidden

#44044 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
What would have happened instead of stealing a gun he stole a tanker truck full of gas and drove it thru the school
You understand that what he did do is stand over each child and shot him or her many times with a pistol?

When someone steals a gasoline truck and drives it into a school, then maybe we should require a special license to operate a gasoline truck...

oh... right... we already do.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44045 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
XXX:
I can disagree because for one, I don't believe every single problem in this country has a solution, and two, your ideas won't stop any crazed individual from carrying out his insane plans.

Our latest school murder happened in a very similar area called Chardon, Ohio. The gunman (a student) killed the kids outside of the school and not inside. There goes the idea for having armed security in the school.

If we are to expect every gun owner to be responsible, then we should also expect women to stop having unwanted pregnancies so they don't need abortions, or for every citizen to purchase US made goods so we can keep Americans working. It's never going to happen.

Now as to the mother of the shooter, if he is willing to kill his very own mother, why would he hesitate to take her keys--open the gun safe and then take her weapons? We don't know this guys past. Perhaps nobody knew he was a firecracker waiting to go off including his mother.
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44046 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Or if he had just poured gas around the school and torched the whole school???
Far more dead........
I think the difference between the tanker-truck full of gas can be distinguished on a few points. First, the tanker truck is not manufactured and designed to kill people, yet semi-automatic assault weapons are manufactured for that exact purpose...murder.

Second, it is not reasonable for a tanker-truck driver to go to a rest-stop, cut his engine, take his keys inside, and reasonably forsee that some nut would not only steal his truck, but turn it into a killing machine.

Does that make sense? I suppose I could huff, and puff, and blow your house down. Too many irrelevant hypotheticals do not warrant negligent gun ownership.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Bongo 42,375
News GOP closer to big win with House tax vote; Sena... 3 min Retribution 72
News Sen. Al Franken accused of inappropriate behavi... 3 min Bill Clinton 98
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,643,106
News Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell... 4 min Cujo 48
News Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should've resigned ove... 8 min Bill Clinton 120
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 10 min Lawrence Wolf 142
More from around the web