Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

There are 1220 comments on the The Huffington Post story from May 31, 2012, titled Big DOMA Decision Handed Down. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

A federal appeals court Thursday declared that the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to married gay couples, a ruling all but certain to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#828 Jul 3, 2012
lides wrote:
Do you know what sort of person makes an argument that they fundamentally cannot prove to be relevant to the topic at hand?
Yes, I call him Justice Dumbass.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#829 Jul 3, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Yes, I call him Justice Dumbass.
Can you indicate any correlation between gay marriage and school curricula that would render your argument a) relevant, and b) competent?

It appears that you lack the competence to do so. Engaging in childish name calling when you could be defending your position certainly says something about your character, or lack thereof.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#830 Jul 3, 2012
Wondering wrote:
How deeply should we go into homosexuality?
Should we teach only what is viewed as good?
Should we dedicate equal time to the 257 countries of the world?
Should we teach race and etnic differences?
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855617.html
Should we teach about the 22 major religions?
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...
My intolerance, as far as homosexuality goes, is the invasion of public school class rooms, especially the elementary schools. Forcing gay subject material on families that have no interest in homosexuality, your problems or your acceptance. The rest of it, as long as it isn't used as an excuse by gays to teach this stuff, I couldn't care less about. What gets "washed into the brains of the kiddies at home" is none of your f'n business.
Thank you for proving me right once again and going to such great lengths dear. I know YOU can't see why you are the reason why the subjects of homosexuality and the rights and lives of people who happen to be homosexual and the same sex sex facts of life have to be taught by our schools, that's why that post wasn't addressed to you. I knew you'd go flying off the handle like this and prove me right.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#831 Jul 3, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
"What's more, they keep touting the Bible as 'God's Word, the truth, etc.,' when in fact, the Bible contains numerous problems which would indicate otherwise.""
yah thats the stuff...
kinda painting with a broad brush there huh? Did you not read the second sentence or were you being your generally misleading self?
and you miss that morality and tradition ARE solid bases for legislation.
Do you ever wonder why I am so civil to other posters but routinely call you incapable?
Its because you are.
You and waste water are probably the least knowledgeable and least capable...
congrats to you both.
And congrats to me for not painting all supporters with the same brush...
many are intelligent, you guys are not.
Thanks.

I'll consider that a compliment.

So answer this question Einstein.

Given the following:

20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.

How did Noah decide which animals were ritually clean?

1. Nowhere in the Book of Genesis are ritually clean offerings mentioned previously.

2. Moses was not born yet so the Law of Moses did not exists.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#832 Jul 3, 2012
S-N-A-F-U wrote:
<quoted text>
Hush now...
Faith in mear man won't help you, nor will their doctrines. We're not talking religion - We're talking prophesy.... Historically, there were 2500 prophesies, most of which have already been fulfilled and prove the accuracy of the Bible...
http://www.reasons.org/articles/articles/fulf...
Zephaniah 1:14-18....
14 The great day of the Lord is near—near and hastening fast. Hark! the voice of the day of the Lord! The mighty man [unable to fight or to flee] will cry then bitterly.
15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of distress and anguish, a day of ruin and devastation, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and thick darkness,
16 A day of the blast of trumpet and battle cry against the fortified cities and against the high towers and battlements.
17 And I will bring distress upon men, so that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the Lord; their blood shall be poured out like dust and their flesh like dung.
18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the Lord’s indignation and wrath. But the whole earth shall be consumed in the fire of His jealous [a]wrath, for a full, yes, a sudden, end will He make of all the inhabitants of the earth.
Zephaniah 1:18 "God’s judgment, God’s mercy—the twin themes of the prophets. In this dramatic passage, the Lord describes the destruction that will sweep the earth in the day of God’s wrath. Yet the Lord is true to His promises—the remnant will be restored (Zeph. 3:18-20); the last day is also “the day of redemption”(Eph. 4:30). See also Matt. 24:31; John 14:3; I Thess. 4:15-1"
It really doesn't make no never mind whether a person believes it or not - In ancient times many folks believed the world was flat too, all they had to do is read the Old Testament (Torah) Isaiah 40-22.....
"The naysayers and critics that yell the loudest that castigate the written word of God (Bible)-- are the most ignorant of it's contents."
Nonsense

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#833 Jul 4, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
prove it.
<quoted text>
false scenario?
gays dont have kids from previous relationships? I would suggest that's where a majority of their kids come from...
so there is always a third parent...
<quoted text>
IO am saying if we want to teach REALITY, we would teach gay history and the current oppositions as well CORRECT?
in the end, even if gays were ten percent of the population (which is an overestimate) "33 percent of female same-sex couple households and 22 percent of male same-sex couple households reported at least one child under the age of 18 living in the home. Its really insignificant. We should worry more about bullying for being fat!Your agenda is "de minimis", not worth the resources to appease so few.
Please cite an instance where a person was tied to a fencepost and beaten to death or, most recently, shot in the head "for being fat"?

Please find a "fat" parallel for this (just one of hundreds I can supply)...

http://micro.pimpmywry.com/2010/04/list-of-me...

or this ...

http://www.davidmixner.com/2010/07/lgbt-histo...

or more generally ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_viole...

I suggest "getting out of your head".
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#834 Jul 4, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
I know YOU can't see why you are the reason why the subjects of homosexuality and the rights and lives of people who happen to be homosexual and the same sex sex facts of life have to be taught by our schools,
In my life I've never bullied anyone, never called anyone gay, taught my kids not to bully anyone and to have respect for others. I am not your problem. You are your problem. You can't force what you believe on to people who aren't gay. To most people, it isn't normal and you will never change their minds. The public schools have no business pushing hgomosexual subjects on rooms full of straight kids. We can't alter the material so that 0.77 gay kids get a sense of belonging. Tell your gay kids to think of themselves as kids first and that will go a long way toward helping them adjust to the normal world around them.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#835 Jul 4, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cite an instance where a person was tied to a fencepost and beaten to death or, most recently, shot in the head "for being fat"?
Please find a "fat" parallel for this (just one of hundreds I can supply)...
http://micro.pimpmywry.com/2010/04/list-of-me...
or this ...
http://www.davidmixner.com/2010/07/lgbt-histo...
or more generally ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_viole...
I suggest "getting out of your head".
I see only LGBT here. Is that all you care about?
What about Phoebe Prince or James Byrd?
Bad things happen to people, not just gay people.

Location hidden

#836 Jul 4, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are not cases in point.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#837 Jul 4, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are not cases in point.
Most victims aren't gay.
Most attacks have nothing to do with the sexual preference of the victim.
Most kids called gay aren't gay.
The point is the crime, not why it happened.
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#838 Jul 4, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense
Man left to their own inabilities and indiscretions = "Stultus est sicut stultus facit." <wink>

Location hidden

#839 Jul 4, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Most victims aren't gay.
Most attacks have nothing to do with the sexual preference of the victim.
Most kids called gay aren't gay.
The point is the crime, not why it happened.
Fine and dandy, but when the abuse, oppression, mayhem and murder derive from the brainwashing (to use YOUR term)of the young to view gay people as somehow worthy of the treatment, then proactive countermeasures are reasonable and warranted.

The alternatives to (re)education are uncivilized.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#840 Jul 4, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
At the time of those crimes, the crimes against Byrd and Prince could have been charged as a hate crime. At the time of Matthew Shephard's murder, the crime against him was NOT a hate crime because sexual orientation was not a covered class of people.

And to be clear, not just any crime against a victim is a hate crime. A hate crime gets heightened scrutiny because the victim is a representative of a class of people where the crime is perceived to be against the entire class of people. Those classes of people having either an immutable trait (race) or a chosen identity (religion).

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#841 Jul 4, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Well, it is a forum whose topic is the DOMA, which SPECIFICALLY affects gay citizens.

Perhaps you could stay on topic, instead of verging off topic to address irrelevant issues? Personally, I think you lack the mental capacity to do so, and you venture off topic when you cannot make even the most basic argument in support of your position.

Guess what Wondering, the morons in congress have brought the DOMA to the Supreme Court. Your precious law is about to meet its doom.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#842 Jul 4, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine and dandy, but when the abuse, oppression, mayhem and murder derive from the brainwashing (to use YOUR term)of the young to view gay people as somehow worthy of the treatment, then proactive countermeasures are reasonable and warranted.
You need to lose your fear. No one is teaching that gays should be bullied physically or mentally. It doesn't happen in any public elementary school I know of. The kids in those classrooms don't belong to you, leave them alone. Their parents don't want them being taught anything about gay.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#843 Jul 4, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
At the time of those crimes, the crimes against Byrd and Prince could have been charged as a hate crime. At the time of Matthew Shephard's murder, the crime against him was NOT a hate crime because sexual orientation was not a covered class of people.
And to be clear, not just any crime against a victim is a hate crime. A hate crime gets heightened scrutiny because the victim is a representative of a class of people where the crime is perceived to be against the entire class of people. Those classes of people having either an immutable trait (race) or a chosen identity (religion).
You can call anything you want to a haqte crime, it won't stop them from happening. On July 1 transgendered people became a protected class here in MA. Do you think it will stop them from being attacked?

Location hidden

#844 Jul 5, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to lose your fear. No one is teaching that gays should be bullied physically or mentally. It doesn't happen in any public elementary school I know of. The kids in those classrooms don't belong to you, leave them alone. Their parents don't want them being taught anything about gay.
Tell that to our dead.

In the '50s and '60s Parents didn't want them being taught about anything black. They just didn't want them to hear about anything that was done to them.

There was a saying back then:

"If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
1 post removed
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#846 Jul 5, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to our dead.
In the '50s and '60s Parents didn't want them being taught about anything black. They just didn't want them to hear about anything that was done to them.
There was a saying back then:
"If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
Sure, but that saying is just as stupid as it was back then. It ignores the 'I don't care' group, the largest by far. Gays always think the way the saying is worded. You are for us or your a bigot that's against us. Sorry, indifferent is and always was the largest group. You really shouldn't be doing all you can to make the indifferents take a side, it won't work in your favor.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#847 Jul 5, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but that saying is just as stupid as it was back then. It ignores the 'I don't care' group, the largest by far. Gays always think the way the saying is worded. You are for us or your a bigot that's against us. Sorry, indifferent is and always was the largest group. You really shouldn't be doing all you can to make the indifferents take a side, it won't work in your favor.
I doubt the "indifferent" folks out there are the ones who work up the energy to vote against equality, fire gay folks, evict gay folks, or teach their children to bully gay folks.

The people we worry about are the "against" folks, because THEY are he ones actively doing harm. They are the bigots who must be rendered irrelevant, through laws that keep them and their irrationality in check.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#848 Jul 5, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt the "indifferent" folks out there are the ones who work up the energy to vote against equality, fire gay folks, evict gay folks, or teach their children to bully gay folks.
The people we worry about are the "against" folks, because THEY are he ones actively doing harm. They are the bigots who must be rendered irrelevant, through laws that keep them and their irrationality in check.
Sending little Johnny and Suzie home to their straight indifferent parents with gay story books won't keep them indifferent for long.
If a gay person paid his rent and did his job, why would he be fired or evicted? How would the employer or property owner know this person was gay unless he still had his gay pride parade outfit on? No one holds anti-gay hour at home daily or weekly to teach kids to bully gays, that's all in your head. You aren't important enough to dedicate family time to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Activist takes down Confederate flag outside So... 4 min USMail XXXII 183
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 4 min mjjcpa 3,548
News Haley's Charleston response, Confederate flag s... 4 min USMail XXXII 10
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Realtime 1,252,271
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min Mark 52,025
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min American Lady 186,573
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min DanFromSmithville 169,018
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min USMail XXXII 333,200
News Donald Trump surges, and Democrats cheer 10 min Simon 119
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 1 hr barefoot2626 105
More from around the web