Sandra Fluke's DNC Speech Paints Star...

Sandra Fluke's DNC Speech Paints Stark Picture of Romney Presidency

There are 2380 comments on the ABC News story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Sandra Fluke's DNC Speech Paints Stark Picture of Romney Presidency. In it, ABC News reports that:

The Georgetown law student shut out of a Congressional hearing on contraception earlier this year is basking in the glow of the Democratic National Convention 's prime time stage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Ocean56

AOL

#1685 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
I have never said that in my life. Howevet ,in your case it might be a good idea . Wonem that are a sexist as you seem to be, are the type of person that even the militant lesbians can do without . I have known bull dykes that have a better personality than you do
Yeah, you and other idiots like Rush Limbaugh spew the same moronic insults to any woman who challenges your BACKWARD ideas. You're not saying anything new here, goofy.
Ocean56

AOL

#1686 Oct 7, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
Firstly, don't you *dare* talk down to me, old man.
Secondly, since (via MEDICARE)*I* pay for your erectile dysfunction meds, and your blood pressure meds, and your cholesterol meds, and all the other meds your decrepit old body needs to function, then I *too* have a say. I don't care whether an old coot like you gets an erection. Since people like you think women should only have sex for procreation, welllll, you are WAY past needing to procreate anymore, so toss those ED pills out. Furthermore, I really don't care if you keel over from high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or cancer, or diabetes. I do NOT want to pay for your meds, dear. We should stop paying for *everyones* meds, then. It's only fair. Do you understand? Is that plain enough for you?
Thirdly, if your "peers" are anything like you (one foot out of the grave busybody), then their opinion is just as irrelevant as you are. My comments merely indicate that I will not tolerate an old geezer yammering away about strange women's reproductive rights (as I am sure you are equally vocal about being against abortion). I find it sickening that some old man even *thinks* about what women and girls do with their pregnancies.
I suppose it doesn't occur to you that those women who wore those nasty buttons were ridiculing people like Limbaugh and *you*?
Beautifully put, Ladi, I couldn't agree more.:-)

To answer your final question, I doubt it occurred to this BACKWARD-thinking old guy at all. My guess; he thinks it was "better" in the 1950's, when women were supposed to have NO life or career other than the traditional "Occupation: housewife."

Of course, it suited the conservative MEN to keep things that way. However, they never bothered to consider the possibility that the women might have other desires for their lives, like having a solid career WITHOUT marriage or children instead. Too bad for them, and happily for women, marriage and children are CHOICES now, not requirements or obligations.

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#1687 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text> You probably wouldn't , but that would be your loss. Tell me ,do you like men at all?
I like men a great deal, I have been married for over 30 years. I don't like men who feel the need to dictate and control women in order to feel like a man. They are not men, they are insecure boys.
4 posts removed
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#1692 Oct 7, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, don't you *dare* talk down to me, old man.
Secondly, since (via MEDICARE)*I* pay for your erectile dysfunction meds, and your blood pressure meds, and your cholesterol meds, and all the other meds your decrepit old body needs to function, then I *too* have a say. I don't care whether an old coot like you gets an erection. Since people like you think women should only have sex for procreation, welllll, you are WAY past needing to procreate anymore, so toss those ED pills out. Furthermore, I really don't care if you keel over from high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or cancer, or diabetes. I do NOT want to pay for your meds, dear. We should stop paying for *everyones* meds, then. It's only fair. Do you understand? Is that plain enough for you?
Thirdly, if your "peers" are anything like you (one foot out of the grave busybody), then their opinion is just as irrelevant as you are. My comments merely indicate that I will not tolerate an old geezer yammering away about strange women's reproductive rights (as I am sure you are equally vocal about being against abortion). I find it sickening that some old man even *thinks* about what women and girls do with their pregnancies.
I suppose it doesn't occur to you that those women who wore those nasty buttons were ridiculing people like Limbaugh and *you*?
Never happy are you when everyone does not agree with you = typical DEM - have to throw slurs and lie just to try to make a point. You do not know me and yet you think you are smart enough to judge me - WRONG - I told you if you want to screw around - pay for your own BC pills and I will not say anything = but the SLUTS FOR OBAMA BUTTONS - these women described themsselves - I had nothing to do with them wearing these SLUT BUTTONS and advertising what kind of women they are.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1693 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text>You have misjudged me. I have been married to a successful woman for over 30 yeara. Neither one of us dictates to or demeans the other .
Why do you feel the need to be so venomous towards male posters that disagree with you
A simple enough question.

The fact that you disagree with me indicates that you feel you know better for "me" and other women.

BC should be as any other prescription drug in healthcare coverage. I view discriminatory practices as venomous. Religion is no excuse for discriminatory practices.
2 posts removed
God Is The Only Choice

Akron, OH

#1696 Oct 7, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
A simple enough question.
The fact that you disagree with me indicates that you feel you know better for "me" and other women.
Flip side, your disagreeing with me indicates that you feel you know better for ME and other women. Hypocritical like I've said before.
God Is The Only Choice

Akron, OH

#1697 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text> The war on women is a Democratic creation Think back the dems have declared a war on everything possible poverty drugs, are just a couple of examples.
Just because some moron Republican makes an idiotic statement about rapeand abortion, does not mean all republicans feel that way .
I am sorry you are voting for obama, he is not the answer to your dilemma. You have the right to vote for whichever candidate you choose . No one has indicated otherwise. this is still a democracy ..for now anyway
Nicely said! You know there are no morons on the Democratic side, right? LOL. The VP seems like a decent guy, but says idiotic things on a daily basis. Can't base an opinion on a whole group because of one jerk. If that were true, Biden would have been dumped a long time ago. He's a liability to Obama anyway.

Romney/Ryan 2012 Pro Life <3

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1698 Oct 7, 2012
God Is The Only Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Flip side, your disagreeing with me indicates that you feel you know better for ME and other women. Hypocritical like I've said before.
Really?

You proposing no choice and myself proposing "choice" is not in any way suggesting I know what is better for you or other women. You on the other hand wish to see no choice, that is in fact telling women/girls what is best for them according to you and your mythical beliefs.

Buy a clue, clueless.
God Is The Only Choice

Akron, OH

#1699 Oct 7, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
You proposing no choice and myself proposing "choice" is not in any way suggesting I know what is better for you or other women. You on the other hand wish to see no choice, that is in fact telling women/girls what is best for them according to you and your mythical beliefs.
Buy a clue, clueless.
It's like me telling you that your lack of belief in God is going to send you to hell. I don't and won't say that, because I don't pretend to know what will happen. You and the other choicers are so afraid that Romney will take away your choice to kill, it's unbelievable. Like I keep telling you, the sky isn't falling. Nothing will happen to your rights under either party. Why not buy yourself a clue?

1 post removed

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#1701 Oct 7, 2012
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Never happy are you when everyone does not agree with you = typical DEM - have to throw slurs and lie just to try to make a point. You do not know me and yet you think you are smart enough to judge me - WRONG - I told you if you want to screw around - pay for your own BC pills and I will not say anything = but the SLUTS FOR OBAMA BUTTONS - these women described themsselves - I had nothing to do with them wearing these SLUT BUTTONS and advertising what kind of women they are.
I'm a moderate conservative. Too bad you're limited "worldview" perceives anyone who takes you to task as a "lib" or a "Dem". Educate yourself.

If you need your BP adjusted or your cholesterol adjusted pay for your own pills. I'm sick of keeping you healthy on *my* dime.

See how it works, yet?

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#1702 Oct 7, 2012
the rest of us wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what you call yourself, on here you're a pompous ass.
And you're an immature child, who calls themselves a "Christian", but who Christ would spit on for the disgusting way you talk to people.

You have no class.

On here AND in real life.

And you know it.
1 post removed

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#1704 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text> The war on women is a Democratic creation Think back the dems have declared a war on everything possible poverty drugs, are just a couple of examples.
Just because some moron Republican makes an idiotic statement about rapeand abortion, does not mean all republicans feel that way .
I am sorry you are voting for obama, he is not the answer to your dilemma. You have the right to vote for whichever candidate you choose . No one has indicated otherwise. this is still a democracy ..for now anyway
Okay, well I am neither a democrat nor a republican, I am a moderate conservative who is not exactly happy with our choices out there. But I *do* see why people are referring to a "war on women".

There have been bills repeatedly pushed by GOP candidates/politicians that are quite invasive. Declaring that personhood begins at conception. Demanding that women/girls have an invasive sonogram prior to being permitted to obtain an abortion. Defining pregnancy as starting 2 weeks *before* conception (!!). And lest we forget HR3, which Ryan co-sponsored (albeit with 171 others), with Ryan only supporting abortion in cases where the mother's life is in danger, not in cases of rape or incest for children. So Akin was *not* as much as an oddball as we'd like to believe.

These are just the initiatives that I can recall *offhand*. They are deeply disturbing to me, as I see a trend towards the implementation of more and more restrictive laws like these.

Take a look at the countries that have laws comparable to those that a number of Republicans have been advocating:

http://www.pregnantpause.org/lex/world02.jsp

For example:

Afghanistan
Brunei
Congo
Ivory Coast
Kiribati
Libya
Yemen

Are these countries who, in your opinion, treat women with high regard? Are these countries whose laws we would seek to emulate with respect to human rights?

Now, I voted for Bush. I wanted Romney back when McCain was running. But I am disconcerted by the climate we are in. And frustrated.
1 post removed

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1706 Oct 7, 2012
the rest of us wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an arrogant, self-righteous gasbag and just like in real life, nobody listens to me topix either.
Enough said.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1707 Oct 7, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text> The fact that I disagree with you only indicates that I feel Fluke has done every woman in the country a disservice nothing more or less.
Fluke goes to a Catholic university BC is against Church doctrine of the Church. Therefore, it should be up to the Church , not the govt to decide if they want to provide contraceptives . Personally I think that Fluke is a shill for obama .... Not that she is a lesser person because she is a woman
I am catholic yet believe in BC . I just do not believe it is the governments job to provide it or force Catholic institutions to force their insurers to deal with a company that does.
obama, being the oportunist that he is; took exception to Georgetowns position to garner votes, using Fluke as his spokesperson. This would have been a non issue had the democratic party not chose to make an issue out of it . Women could still get birth control pills , no one is or was attempting to dicate otherwise
When the catholic church wants to wander from its so called spiritual mission into the commerce side of things they have to obey the law just like everyone else on the commerce side of things. The commerce side is bound by laws that do not allow for discriminatory practices.

I believe Fluke on her own free will brought this subject to light and exposed the discriminatory practices of the RCC.

If the RCC does not like the laws in this country they are free to pack it up and go. Personally I hope they do. It is nothing more than an institution ran by male hierarchy that openly discriminates against women.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#1708 Oct 7, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a moderate conservative. Too bad you're limited "worldview" perceives anyone who takes you to task as a "lib" or a "Dem". Educate yourself.
If you need your BP adjusted or your cholesterol adjusted pay for your own pills. I'm sick of keeping you healthy on *my* dime.
See how it works, yet?
You need an anger management class to help you can control your temper. I am not taking your dimes for my health needs - I have my own insurance policy and have had it for many years, I pay my own way - you need to get a life cupcake.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1709 Oct 7, 2012
God Is The Only Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like me telling you that your lack of belief in God is going to send you to hell. I don't and won't say that, because I don't pretend to know what will happen. You and the other choicers are so afraid that Romney will take away your choice to kill, it's unbelievable. Like I keep telling you, the sky isn't falling. Nothing will happen to your rights under either party. Why not buy yourself a clue?
Poor comparison but I expected nothing more from you.

Choice leaves the decision making entirely up to the women in the circumstances. No choice eliminates all decisions including abortion for all reasons including raped and the life of the mother it also will eliminate BC. Now, that is pushing an agenda on women. You fail at a reasonable argument, but then you always do.

You continually say that "nothing" will happen to womens rights and frankly I think you are one of the most dishonest people I have ever conversed with on Topix. You have stated that you "could never vote for a non prolife candidate, so in that you hope the law will change. I continually bring to your attention that I will vote according to what I believe will maintain womens rights while you try to discourage that with your dishonesty.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#1710 Oct 7, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>That is a description of one lady, but it doesn't describe all ladies.
I took the definition right out of the dictionary.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#1711 Oct 7, 2012
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You need an anger management class to help you can control your temper. I am not taking your dimes for my health needs - I have my own insurance policy and have had it for many years, I pay my own way - you need to get a life cupcake.
Well good. But I want everything you need under your private healthcare removed and you can buy it on your own. Okey dokey Pokey?
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#1712 Oct 7, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well good. But I want everything you need under your private healthcare removed and you can buy it on your own. Okey dokey Pokey?
Are you trying to tell me you have to have Birth Control pills paid for by the tax payer to live. You can not be serious. Try to remember - we are discussing BIRTH CONTROL PILLS.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#1713 Oct 7, 2012
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you don't use Medicare for anything, cupcake?

I have a life. I'm not one foot out of the grave like you, pops.

(Psst...you call *that* losing one's temper? You are a fragile oldtimer, arentcha? If I say BOO will you keel over?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Canuk 1,601,814
News The Latest: Trump targets North Korea in new ex... 2 min Covfefe 58
News Election tampering by Russia still without evid... 3 min Le Jimbo 29
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min Freedomofexpression 317,533
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 7 min Aerobatty 31,112
News Clinton mocks 'manspreading' Putin 7 min Le Jimbo 30
News President Trump visits Huntsville in support of... 12 min ThomasA 2
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Trump Lies 289,184
News Jimmy Kimmel transforms debate, and shows comed... 2 hr swampmudd 80
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 hr cpeter1313 9,968
More from around the web